pasted_image (resized).png
20200723_232636.jpg
ripley3 (resized).JPG
ripley2 (resized).JPG
ripley1 (resized).JPG
20200723_220158.jpg
20200723_213017.jpg
20200723_192424.jpg
There are 77 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 3 years ago

Just picked up an rbion. Seems the head opto and super jackpot opto arent working. Magnet for the head isnt working either. Possibly opto related. Checked the connection...its plugged in. Any help to trouble shoot would be appreciated

#2 3 years ago

Seems opto may be working. Magnet doesnt seem to, even in test though

#3 3 years ago

Is the idol magnet working? Did you check the fuse for the magnets?

#4 3 years ago

Also did you test the magnet in settings and those optos Switches , these optos are common failures on this game . The magnet won’t engage if the optos aren’t working during gameplay .

#5 3 years ago

Gonna clean the optos and report back. First they didnt register. Now they do half the time. Operator alerts said they needed checked.

#6 3 years ago

The old style optos they used in Ripley's don't age well. If they look original, replace all three pairs. Shrunken head, idol and upper loop.

#7 3 years ago

Reflow the solder on the connections.

#8 3 years ago

It seems like the idol magnet isnt firing properly either

#9 3 years ago

If the optos plug onto a small board under the playfield. I would remove the small board. Reflow the solder the big pins the connector plugs onto and the tiny pins the opto plugs onto. Stick it back in the game. And put a dab of hot glue on the opto connector to hold it onto the board better.

LTG : )

#10 3 years ago

Yea totally replace those small opto boards . Those things flake a lot as well .

#11 3 years ago

I had the same issues. Check the fuses and replace the optos. See my thread. Hope this helps.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/rbion-fuse-20-blowing#post-5319907

#12 3 years ago

So i dug more this morning - had company and was trying to play and ts at the same time.

1) Went to diags. Coil test - one at a time. Magnet at the head works. Magnet at the idol works.
2) Go to operator alerts. Super jackpot opto and shrunken head opto are listed.
3) Go to switch test. They're both on.
4) During the game the shrunken head opto will actually register like 50% of the time. It does advance the column of inserts by the head. But the magnet won't work.

I see phishrace mentioned the upper loop - i presume those are the super jackpot. I did notice while there's not an error, the idol doesn't fire nearly as often or as hard as it should. Which sounds like all 3 optos aren't playing nice - which leads me closer to LTG's solution.

LTG - soldering on a board is definitely not my strong suit. Hands are kinda shaky all the time. I can manage on individual parts, not a board. Is this the board you were referring to? For the 12 bones I'd just replace it:

https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/520-5239-01

Can someone give me a link to the opto's themselves? I'm thinking to just buy all the parts. Start with the board because it's easier to get to. If that solves it - great. Have the opto's there for when they go.

#13 3 years ago
Quoted from tommyp:

So i dug more this morning - had company and was trying to play and ts at the same time.
1) Went to diags. Coil test - one at a time. Magnet at the head works. Magnet at the idol works.
2) Go to operator alerts. Super jackpot opto and shrunken head opto are listed.
3) Go to switch test. They're both on.
4) During the game the shrunken head opto will actually register like 50% of the time. It does advance the column of inserts by the head. But the magnet won't work.
I see phishrace mentioned the upper loop - i presume those are the super jackpot. I did notice while there's not an error, the idol doesn't fire nearly as often or as hard as it should. Which sounds like all 3 optos aren't playing nice - which leads me closer to LTG's solution.
LTG - soldering on a board is definitely not my strong suit. Hands are kinda shaky all the time. I can manage on individual parts, not a board. Is this the board you were referring to? For the 12 bones I'd just replace it:
Can someone give me a link to the opto's themselves? I'm thinking to just buy all the parts. Start with the board because it's easier to get to. If that solves it - great. Have the opto's there for when they go.

You need a pair of these for each opto if you want it all new.
https://www.pinballlife.com/data-eastsegastern-opto-transceiver.html

Your super jackpot error could very well be that the shot just hasn't been made in X number of games. Just put it into switch test and roll a ball up there.

#14 3 years ago

Was the board they plug into the right one? The 12$ one from marco?

The one from pinball life - I need 2 for each location, so 6 total?

#15 3 years ago

https://www.pinballlife.com/stern-opto-transmitterreceiver-amplifier-pcb.html

14.95 at PBL. You will see that only 2 opto pairs can plug into the same board. Do you have a manual?
You can download one for free here.
https://www.ipdb.org/search.pl?any=ripley%27s&search=Search+Database&searchtype=quick

#16 3 years ago
Quoted from tommyp:

That is it.

#17 3 years ago
Quoted from tommyp:

Was the board they plug into the right one? The 12$ one from marco?

Yes.

Look under playfield. How many of those small boards do you see ? Usually 2 or 3, I doubt 6.

#18 3 years ago

I'm followin now LTG - i thought it was just one. I see two - missed one of em.

So - 2 of them 12$ boards.
Are the "sending" and "receiving" opto the same part? Can someone post a link to the part(s) on marco perhaps?

#19 3 years ago
Quoted from tommyp:

Are the "sending" and "receiving" opto the same part?

Yes. Both glow red when working.

Quoted from tommyp:

Can someone post a link to the part(s) on marco perhaps?

https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/500-6775-01

#20 3 years ago

Thanks everyone. Parts are on order. Will report back once here and installed.

#21 3 years ago

So parts got here. Figured I'd start with just the idol and go from there. Swapped both optos, as well as the board. Still doesn't work correctly. Haven't moved to the head or the super jackpot since I have to strip half the game to get to those and I'm assuming perhaps they're all related. Any help where to look next would be appreciated.

#22 3 years ago

Operator alerts lists super jackpot and shrunken head optos. Can one bad one be messing up everything down the line?

#23 3 years ago

Checked the backbox. Saw 2 tournament wires disconnected. as well as these two, but didnt see anywhere for them to go either.

20200723_143345.jpg20200723_143345.jpg20200723_144752.jpg20200723_144752.jpg20200723_145444.jpg20200723_145444.jpg
#24 3 years ago

And this was hanging out in the cab..

20200723_150228.jpg20200723_150228.jpg
#25 3 years ago

Visual inspection and it does not appear that either opto is lit at the idol, nor the head. As mentioned above i replaced the idol. Balls out, pf up, power on, neither were lit. To confirm i pulled the lower back off the underside of the magnet, definitely wasn't glowing red.

#26 3 years ago

Should also mention the vari target opto is showing tripped in switch test. Removing power to the idol opto board removes it from being listed in the switch test.

#27 3 years ago
Quoted from tommyp:

Checked the backbox. Saw 2 tournament wires disconnected. as well as these two, but didnt see anywhere for them to go either.

Quoted from tommyp:

And this was hanging out in the cab..

Might have been part of a TOPS tournament board and message sign no longer in/on the game.

#28 3 years ago

Any ideas what to look at next ltg?

Swapped board and optos at only the idol as it was the easiest to get to. Still same issue. All optos showing active in switch test. None light up. Disconnecting power to the opto board removes them from the switch test list.

#29 3 years ago
Quoted from tommyp:

Any ideas what to look at next ltg?

Sorry, no. Send an email to Stern ?

#30 3 years ago

I guess I could try that. Any merit to replacing the others? Would something fubarred at the head and super jackpot mess up the idol downstream?

#31 3 years ago

Have you actually checked to see if the opto boards are receiving +5V DC (red wire pin 5)? Even un-powered I believe that the switch matrix can still detect that the board is there (speculation), so that could possibly explain the behaviour that you are seeing when unplugging the board.

#32 3 years ago

Also if you do not already have a copy of the manual.

https://www.ipdb.org/files/4917/Stern_2004_Ripley_s_Believe_It_or_Not_English_Manual.pdf

Pages 143, 139, 101
Just take it slow and just work your way back from the new opto boards, eventually you will find the issue. You can do it...

#33 3 years ago

How would one check 5v there? I'm fine with testing but no clue what I'm doin. I do have a multimeter. One lead in the connector for red wire. Other....where?

#34 3 years ago

Yes, check pin 5 (+5v red); and your other probe should go to ground (pin 4 black). Just make sure your meter is in DC mode.

#35 3 years ago

This setting. Through the end of the connector was getting 0. Wasnt sure if they were thin or deep enough so tried the little slots in the side. Was .755

20200723_192424.jpg20200723_192424.jpg
#36 3 years ago

Realized it was the weaker setting. Upped into the 20 on the DC side. Also tossed on the old board I replaced dangling so I could hit the solder points on the back for better confirmation. Hit .76 on the meter only. So presumably no 5v getting there?

Where do I go from here?

#37 3 years ago

I just noticed that there is also a power led on the board itself to let you know if it is powered as well.

If neither board is powered check to see if the +5V test led on the power driver board in the head is on (bottom left corner of the large heat sink).
If that is not on pull and test the F23 fuse to see if that is good or not, according to the manual it should be a 4A slow blow.

#38 3 years ago

I did not notice the LEDs on the boards. Definitely not lit. I'll check the test one in a few

#39 3 years ago

Again appreciate all the help. I can replace things when I know what's broke...but narrowing it down ain't my game

#40 3 years ago

Alright, fair enough. Hopefully you can find someone near you who can take a look at it for you, it really is a great game. In the mean time just make sure when you installed the new board and optos that nothing got plugged in backwards on accident. Good Luck.

#41 3 years ago

I can keep goin with diection...didnt mean that the wrong way.

So. The boards under the pf the optos hook to definitely dont have led unless I'm blind. Is this the 5v led you were referring to or would there be multiples on different boards?

20200723_213017.jpg20200723_213017.jpg

#42 3 years ago

Answered my own q. Also is lit

20200723_220158.jpg20200723_220158.jpg
#43 3 years ago

Not sure if you've seen this. May be helpful. When they refer to the lower magnet, I'm pretty sure they are referring to the Idol. I used to own RBION but no longer have the game.

ripley1 (resized).JPGripley1 (resized).JPGripley2 (resized).JPGripley2 (resized).JPG
#44 3 years ago
Quoted from LOTR_breath:

Not sure if you've seen this. May be helpful. When they refer to the lower magnet, I'm pretty sure they are referring to the Idol. I used to own RBION but no longer have the game.
[quoted image][quoted image]

Saw that. The optos ltg pointed me to arent send and receive any more. They're interchangeable so upper or lower shouldnt matter

#45 3 years ago

They've always been interchangeable. This is about how to properly connect them on this particular application. It's saying for the Idol and for the Idol only, the one below the playfield should NOT be plugged directly to the board.

ripley3 (resized).JPGripley3 (resized).JPG
#46 3 years ago

You sir ... I read that like 3 times and missed that. Late in the tooth tonight but I'll try to figure out where the hell it plugs in tomorrow. If you got a picture or something I'm looking for itd be appreciated

#47 3 years ago

Anyone with the game able to post a pic? Should I separate this connection then? Single green to the opto board, double wire to opto if I'm reading that properly?

#48 3 years ago
20200723_232636.jpg20200723_232636.jpg
#49 3 years ago

Side on the right is single green. Left is green and purple/blue

#50 3 years ago

Progress. I split that connector. Purple and blue to the opto. Green to the controller board on j1. Optos for the idol light, still show active.

Head and super jackpot are not lit, still show active. I've done nothing yet to trouble shoot these.

Thanks again for all the help so far...what do I look at next?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 43.95
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Nerd Decals

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Canton, TX
$ 45.95
$ 18.95
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 16.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods

Machine - For Sale
Knoxville, TN
Machine - For Sale
Vancouver, BC
$ 17.00
Cabinet - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

$ 649.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

$ 285.99
Cabinet - Other
PinSound

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Los Angeles, CA
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 77 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ripleys-help-needed?hl=jfre81 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.