50%
  • Family Guy 19 votes
    50%

(38 votes by 0 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

158_(resized).jpg
bc_(resized).png
There are 58 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 8 years ago

If both are nice examples is this a fair trade or should money be added either way and if so how much just looking for general advice so there's no pix thanks in advance for responding

#2 8 years ago

money should be added to the ripley's

Id say ripleys sells around 3000-3700 and FG is 4000-5000 I think

#3 8 years ago

Hello,dhard,bought my RBION fully shopped,all LEDs code upgrade,and mods from Back Ally Mat,3000.00, perfect PF,one side of cabinet scratched,so,i think,the FG should fetch about 1000.00 more??IMHOPeace

#4 8 years ago

Yup,yupyup bumb timtim

#5 8 years ago

Agree, RBION + $1000

#6 8 years ago

If both machines are routed, in similar condition.

Ripley's 3k machine, maybe 3200 for a nice example.

Family Guy 4k machine.

Play wise I'd say they are about even. Both are excellent games. Ripley's is probably my favorite of the two, but a lot of people do not care for the theme/idol's voice.

#7 8 years ago

I agree Family Guy is worth more, mostly due to theme. I've had both. The personal price difference between them for me was $800.

I don't think it's really more fun to play. It's got good humor, which trumps the Ripley's theme.

RBION has a full-featured, well laid out playfield with very challenging rules. But I would still say you'd need to add $800-$1000 with the Ripleys.

A drawback of FG modes is that you only need to play them until time expires. Ripley's requires you to beat the mode before time expires to light a letter and advance. It's more challenging, and I like that aspect of the game better.

Both games are great. Ripley's is a better value. FG is a better theme. Otherwise, I think they're pretty comparable.

#8 8 years ago

I own both...Ripleys goes around $3200 for a nice one, FGY goes for around $4500 for a nice one.

#9 8 years ago

About 1k difference in price if condition is comparable. IMO ripleys is the better game. May not be the most popular but for me it one of my favorites in a A title collection

#10 8 years ago
Quoted from RTS:

A drawback of FG modes is that you only need to play them until time expires.

How well you do on the modes determines your scoring on the TV Wizard
Mode - so if you don't bother playing the modes well, you'll be "punished" later.

#11 8 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

How well you do on the modes determines your scoring on the TV Wizard
Mode - so if you don't bother playing the modes well, you'll be "punished" later.

Good point, similar to TABA in LOTR, or FF in STTNG. But those games also have reasons to do well during the mode, not afterwards.

I think it's a distinction that makes modes better. I always thought that FG would've been better to complete modes.

#12 8 years ago

Started a poll as Ripleys is bn touted as the better game so is family guy worth more because its newer?

#13 8 years ago
Quoted from dhard:

Started a poll as Ripleys is bn touted as the better game so is family guy worth more because its newer?

It is harded to come by and the theme appeals to more people. From a game perspective I would rate them equally. Both would be in my top 10.

#14 8 years ago

Worth more because of theme for sure, and FGY "looks better" to most people.

#15 8 years ago
Quoted from dhard:

Both are good games, FG is worth more because it appeals to people outside the "pinside world"

#16 8 years ago

Another case where the better game is the less expensive game.

#17 8 years ago

I think they are both fun games. sold my RBION years ago, preordered the Family Guy at my house in 2006 because of theme/Lawlor design and it will never leave. i also have another FG for my business it's a top 10 route game. FG also has one of the hardest wizard modes to reach in pinball. I think the theme, unique Lawlor layout, and fabulous Lonnie Ropp/Keith Johnson ruleset make it my favorite game ever made.

#18 8 years ago

For me besides game play, Ripley's is a much better theme, with better artwork, music and call outs. Like the show, Family Guy gets annoying pretty fast.

#19 8 years ago

Family guy is kind of annoying, and I still watch FG all the time. Strangely I find all cartoon show Games annoying in the audio department, whether I like the show or not. Maybe it's because they have so many easily used sounds, they over-do it for me. Probably exactly why so many people like them though.

#20 8 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Another case where the better game is the less expensive game.

Disagree. I own both and think FGY is the better game, but not by much. The rules are pretty much a wash. Both are pretty good and deep enough. Both are Lawlor games with the trademark one side cramped. Ripley's feels more cramped to me on the left than FGY does on the right. Artwork is a wash ultimately to me. Both are ok. I don't care for Ripleys cabinet art or FGYs translight. The rest is pretty good on both. Sound/music is surprisingly good on Ripley's, but doesn't have near the quantity of quotes FGY has. For me, the theme is better for FGY by a wide margin.

#21 8 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

Ripley's feels more cramped to me on the left than FGY does on the right.

Upper middle of FGY seems a little too cramped for me....but overall FGY does feel pretty damn wide.

#22 8 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Family guy is kind of annoying, and I still watch FG all the time. Strangely I find all cartoon show Games annoying in the audio department, whether I like the show or not. Maybe it's because they have so many easily used sounds, they over-do it for me. Probably exactly why so many people like them though.

It's interesting that FGY, TSPP and SP all use very cartoony sound FX even though the shows themselves don't really have over-the-top sound FX. Still, Theil did an amazing sound design job with FGY and Granner really flexed his muscle with what Whitestar was capable of with TSPP.

#23 8 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

It's interesting that FGY, TSPP and SP all use very cartoony sound FX even though the shows themselves don't really have over-the-top sound FX.

As with most things, the blame can probably be placed on DE for the original Simpsons machine

#24 8 years ago

Guy posts an ad wanting a trade, no trade offers show up but tons of price police. get a life ppl... None of you set the precedence for what a price of a game should be. The buyer and seller do. If you have no interest in the OP why even reply? Before you ask i am replying because its ridiculous nobody can ever place an ad that doesn't get jacked

glwts OP

#25 8 years ago

For me, I wanted to like the show Family Guy, but it never did it for me. I guess I just really missed X-Files when it went off the air. But guess what, it's back!!!!

#26 8 years ago
Quoted from happilymarried05:

Guy posts an ad wanting a trade, no trade offers show up but tons of price police. get a life ppl... None of you set the precedence for what a price of a game should be. The buyer and seller do. If you have no interest in the OP why even reply? Before you ask i am replying because its ridiculous nobody can ever place an ad that doesn't get jacked
glwts OP

This isn't an ad. It's in the "advice" section. He was asking for opinions on a possible trade.

#27 8 years ago

Guy posts an ad wanting a trade, no trade offers show up but tons of price police.

Get a grip man, reading is fundamental.

#28 8 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Get a grip man, reading is fundamental.

What makes you think he needs a "grip man". Also, why are you calling him mental?

#29 8 years ago

Looks like all those monies I pledged the Reading Rainbow kickstarter were all for not.

#30 8 years ago

glwts OP

Did you post in wrong thread?

#31 8 years ago

HAHA

#32 8 years ago

Wow! Three thumbs down from Rarehero in one thread! Who would have known? He's the one that keeps balance in my life.

#33 8 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Wow! Three thumbs down from Rarehero in one thread! Who would have known? He's the one that keeps balance in my life.

Well pit anything against FGY and you're gonna get'm.

#34 8 years ago

What can I say? I love my Ripley's!

#35 8 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

What can I say? I love my Ripley's!

Did you see my post the other day? Got 1 SJ off scoop, then bagged 4 more in the first MB...and then no more the whole game. Goddammit that was my best chance ever!

#36 8 years ago

Good luck mon!

#37 8 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

What do you prefer, my "eyeroll" acknowledgement of your passive aggressive insults, or a response? I really should just throw you in the "ignore" file and you'll never see another thumb.

#38 8 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

What do you prefer, my "eyeroll" acknowledgement of your passive aggressive insults, or a response? I really should just throw you in the "ignore" file and you'll never see another thumb.

#39 8 years ago

I was thinking of doing the same thing, but you humor me. Make it four! Or five!

#40 8 years ago

YOU WANT ANOTHER?!?

bc_(resized).pngbc_(resized).png

#41 8 years ago

Without TheLaw around here I'd probably go crazy!

#42 8 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Without TheLaw around here I'd probably go crazy!

And that shows how far gone you truly are

Ok, time to get off work and grab some drink

#43 8 years ago

What do we gotta do to get hero to like us?

#44 8 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

What do we gotta do to get hero to like us?

Uff I don't know, I watch the Family Man and American Boy all the time and that doesn;t work.

#45 8 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

I watch the Family Man and American Boy all the time and that doesn;t work.

I've got this album if that will help. Rock and Roll Hoochie Coo...

158_(resized).jpg158_(resized).jpg

#46 8 years ago

There's just something about FGY

Theme, sound, rules...

The first two are crucial. I learned this while playing Shrek.

RBION is cool too but if you're after a packed PF with deep rules & stop/go play just get the mother of em all... TSPP

That's why RBION costs less. Heck TPA is the only reason it fetches what it does IMO

#48 8 years ago

I think you have your answer, yeah? Personally, I don't care for FG so I'd see them as being "worth" the same (from my POV), but the market shows there's about a grand difference, with FG being more expensive... I'd say mostly due to the theme.

So FG = RBION + ~$1k

#49 8 years ago

Now which is the better game as the vote is still very close

#50 8 years ago
Quoted from dhard:

Now which is the better game as the vote is still very close

I think that is going to depend on how big a family guy fan you are. The theme integration with it is excellent. It has one of the largest audio packages of any sterns. RBION fits its theme very well, but its not an endearing theme. It won't make you laugh either.

Also depends on what kind of play do you like? RBION has more strategy to it. Learning what modes you can stack. What temple awards stack best with what. What scoop awards are available in what modes. Family guy is more straight forward, but you have to multitask more when stewie's pf is active with the main playfield.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 24.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RavSpec

$ 43.95
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Nerd Decals

5,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Saugerties, NY
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Bellefonte, PA
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 55.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

$ 18.95
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

4,950 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Crescent Springs, KE
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Commack, NY
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 45.95
There are 58 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ripleys-for-family-guy and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.