Ripleys DMD troubles

By Cash_Riprock

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 5 years ago

RBION pin w/color dmd. Worked fine, hadn’t played in a while. Turn on no display. Reseated cables/pressed on some connections came on ‘wonky’ then finally worked.

Turn on again another day no display. Start game and intermittent display then worked.

Turn on yesterday...no display but when starting game it came on.

Anyone have any ideas? Not to good w/SS pins but can follow directions. Thank you in advance.

#2 5 years ago

Anyone?

#3 5 years ago

I'd start with a new ribbon cable. Or put the original DMD back in and see if it functions as intended.

#4 5 years ago

Thank you for reply. I’d have to figure out how the original went in. Not to ‘new pin’(SS)savvy.

Turned it on last night. As usual no display. Tapped on left side of display and it came on but showing what version installed...if that’s any clue. Pressed start button-no display but as I got about 1-2 minutes in game it started working, then it stays on and works fine.

#5 5 years ago
Quoted from Cash_Riprock:

Thank you for reply. I’d have to figure out how the original went in. Not to ‘new pin’(SS)savvy.
Turned it on last night. As usual no display. Tapped on left side of display and it came on but showing what version installed...if that’s any clue. Pressed start button-no display but as I got about 1-2 minutes in game it started working, then it stays on and works fine.

That's classic symptoms of a flaky connector. Again, I'd try a new ribbon cable. Do you still have the original DMD?

#6 5 years ago

Thank you again fo reply.

Yes I do have the original. I installed the color DMD myself. I can follow instructions pretty well. A little nerve wracking and had to ask one question to be positive about what to do for one connection. Not sure about reinstalling original DMD, but could reverse instructions I guess. Wish it was a EM! : )

#7 5 years ago

I haven't installed a color DMD, so I can't comment on that. Putting a regular DMD in is as easy as attaching the ground braid, the power plug, and the ribbon cable. It's literally taken me as long to type these couple of sentences out as it would to install the original DMD.

But like I said, I'd start with a new ribbon cable. For just a few bucks, it's cheap medicine.

#8 5 years ago

Thanks again! I remember there were some plugs disconnected/replaced when installing. Will do on cable as soon as I can and will update. Would it be the main ribbon cable from board to display?

#9 5 years ago
Quoted from Cash_Riprock:

Would it be the main ribbon cable from board to display?

Yes. If you can post a video that might be helpful.

#10 5 years ago

Ok, thanks. As soon as I can(hopefully by tomorrow/Thursday night) I will post video.

#11 5 years ago

Tried to upload video but can’t. Am I missing something? I go to my pictures but oddly enough through here video doesn’t show but it’s there. ?

#12 5 years ago

You can link youtube videos here, but not directly load videos to Pinside.

#13 5 years ago
Quoted from PinballManiac40:

You can link youtube videos here, but not directly load videos to Pinside.

Thank you.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 18.95
Machine - For Sale
Vancouver, BC
Machine - For Sale
Knoxville, TN
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Bellefonte, PA
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 285.99
Cabinet - Other
PinSound

$ 16.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods

$ 43.95
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Nerd Decals

$ 45.95
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Canton, TX
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ripleys-color-dmd-troubles and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.