• Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

2014-11-08 17.27.29.jpg
2014-11-08 17.27.19.jpg
#1 9 years ago

Heya as new in the Stern -modern games there are a few things that confuses me with my newly bought RBION.
In the backbox these metal 'things' are clamped on the flat cables that goes to the DMD. Are these stock or after marked add-ons? What are they supposed to do? What would happen if i remove them?

2014-11-08 17.27.29.jpg2014-11-08 17.27.29.jpg

2014-11-08 17.27.19.jpg2014-11-08 17.27.19.jpg

Also: One vertical line is out in the DMD, is that an issue for the rest of the DMD or the cards, or could i wait replacing the DMD (as the vertical line is not that disturbing in game-play) with out any risk of further damage to the pin?

And: There are a pretty loud hum from the flipper coils when held up. Louder from the right than from the left (perhaps because of there are two flippers activated with the right button?). Is this normal with newer Sterns? Could I address it some how, the sound is pretty annoying.

Cheers
/miMa

#2 9 years ago

That is a Ferrite Clamp for reducing high frequencies.

#3 9 years ago

The single line out on the DMD is probably a break in the connection between the glass and the circuit board. You can continue to use the DMD in this condition, it should not cause any additional problems. In some cases you can repair the connection with conductive epoxy, although it's kind of tricky. If you're interested I can provide some links that will explain the procedure.

#4 9 years ago
Quoted from Pinthetic:

That is a Ferrite Clamp for reducing high frequencies.

Thanks, so these are supposed to 'remove' high frequency hiss then? Is that a frequent issue on RBION (or modern STERNs?). Aftermarket Add-on or original from STERN-factory?

Cheers
/Micael

#5 9 years ago

Thanks, so these are supposed to 'remove' high frequency hiss then?

The nature of the beast is the voltages used and the surrounding electronics will create, or "induce", noise into the data cable. This will show up on the DMD as unwanted dots, ghosting, and other issues. If the data cable was "shielded" then you would not see the Ferrites. Since they use "ribbon cables" they need the Ferrites. Where there is noise induced you can get high frequency pitch from a descret device and even noise through the sound section.

Factory.

#6 9 years ago
Quoted from terryb:

The single line out on the DMD is probably a break in the connection between the glass and the circuit board. You can continue to use the DMD in this condition, it should not cause any additional problems. In some cases you can repair the connection with conductive epoxy, although it's kind of tricky. If you're interested I can provide some links that will explain the procedure.

Thanks, I was hoping on something like that. The missing line does not bother me that much so I will just leave it be. Thanks for the offer tough.

Cheers
/Micael

#7 9 years ago

The thing that gets me is the use of electrical tape to hold the ferrite together. Is that the way the factory installed them?

A few more years and we'll probably start getting posts "what are these black rectangles laying in the bottom of the cabinet?"

#8 9 years ago
Quoted from G-P-E:

The thing that gets me is the use of electrical tape to hold the ferrite together. Is that the way the factory installed them?
A few more years and we'll probably start getting posts "what are these black rectangles laying in the bottom of the cabinet?"

I second that!

Cheers
/Micael

#9 9 years ago

Flipper-hold-hum, anyone?
Standard on modern STERN pins?

Cheers
/Micael

#10 9 years ago
Quoted from mima:

Flipper-hold-hum, anyone?
Standard on modern STERN pins?
Cheers
/Micael

Short answer = yes. You can fiddle around with the mech to try and get rid of it if you want. It is normal with sterns, though.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 24.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RavSpec

$ 18.95
4,800 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Knoxville, TN
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

$ 39.00
Cabinet - Other
Arcade Upkeep

4,950 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Crescent Springs, KE
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Bellefonte, PA
$ 45.95
$ 16.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods

$ 17.00
Cabinet - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Valdosta, GA
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 43.95
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Nerd Decals

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ripley%c2%b4s-belive-it-or-not-rbion-odd-thing-on-flat-cable-to-dmd and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.