(Topic ID: 212314)

RIP - Toys R Us

By Frax

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20180331_210257 (resized).jpg
    FB_IMG_1522015485514 (resized).jpg
    apivgrrrk__68762.1504109098 (resized).jpg
    ted for art accented edges (2) (resized).jpg
    IMG_0212 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0207 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0200 (resized).JPG
    toys r us shirt 2.jpg (resized).JPG
    toys r us shirt 1.jpg (resized).JPG
    15FC5488-9AD0-4C46-94A7-8D0B5517AB2C (resized).jpeg
    B4E0D996-4FEE-4B0F-892A-6596F5349F71 (resized).jpeg
    1.JPG
    ToysRUs1990 (resized).jpg
    bk37qsp.gif
    C45131E4-3625-4B1B-931F-289DA9EB3C39 (resized).jpeg
    Capture (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mrbally.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#134 6 years ago
    Quoted from Max_Badazz:

Also anyone remember Child World ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Child_World ) ..... grew up shopping there until Toys R Us took over the area

Also Play World. For the young and old at heart. There was one in Berkley, MI that was repurposed twice over the past 30 years. Until three years ago, the "Enter" and "Exit" signs to the parking lot were the old Play World signs.

#136 6 years ago
    Quoted from frolic:

I find Amazon has created a superior experience and its usually the first place I look when shopping.
    But as mentioned earlier, the Amazon tsunami has been 20 years in the making. No one can claim they didn't see it coming or couldn't try to adapt many years earlier.
    I suspect there will come a time in our kids' lifetimes, that going anywhere to shop will seem like distant history and quaint. Kind of like going to an arcade.

I kind of like it when my son & I are working on a car at 1 or 2 AM and realize we need a car part; We hit the Auto Zone warehouse store that is open 24/7 and get what we need. One time a fuel pump (OES VDO) for an Audi A8.

If these places go out of business, we're all fcuked.

#139 6 years ago
    Quoted from Matesamo:

When I was a kid I like Child World much better, probably because my older brother convinced me that there was a way to get up in the castle towers above the store, lol.
    Kay-Bee Toys was great for clearing out older stuff. I remember buying AD&D books for pennies and the Nintendo Virual Buy for $19.99.
    On the plus side TrU had only around 6 billion in debt. IHeartMedia currently has around 20 billion in debt. Yikes!

The Dearborn, Michigan Children's Palace (that never became a Child World) still stands. It first became additional office for The Ford Motor Company. Then those offices were moved to an abandoned Lord & Taylor store across the parking lot. The Children's Palace was expanded and integrated into student housing for two nearby colleges: U of M Dearborn and Henry Ford (don't call it a Community College) College.

#140 6 years ago
    Quoted from LesManley:

KB Toys was the bomb. First thing I did when I entered a new mall was to find the arcade and find the KB Toys, they all had them and they were usually close to each other in the mall. My aunt used to have a friend that worked there and she would hold the new Return of the Jedi action figures for me when they came out. Got many an action figure and video game there.
    Toys R Us effectively shut down my favorite toy store...Children's Palace. They moved in normally right across the street from them and put them under in a few locations in MN.
    I'm sad to see Toys R Us go. Disappointing that my kids 5 & 6 won't have a dedicated toy store to go to from now on, which blows my mind. When I was a kid, we lived for toy stores. To not be able to go into a dedicated store and see all that toyriffic wonderment right in front of them is a shame. It's just not the same to buy it online, especially in a kid's eyes. Toys R Us does a great job with their birthday club too. My daughter just went there for her birthday and she got a nice Geoffrey plush doll, book, squishy toy and more, plus her picture with Geoffrey and that costume is awesome. It was about 10 feet tall. Manager said they just recently got it a few months ago too.

I basically texted my kids this morning and said that if they have children themselves some day, it's sad that they won't be able to take them to Toys R Us and see the looks on their faces like I was able to see the first time I took them there.

Amazon and even, <choke>, Wal-Mart are not the same thing.

#144 6 years ago

Anyone remember Kids R Us clothes stores (part or Toys R Us) from about 1989-1995? I had to go to the corporate office for work once. In beautiful Paramus, New Jersey. The clothes were pricier than K Mart or Target. They closed the stores and put small amounts of clothes into Toys R Us stores then eliminated the kids clothes department. Babies R Us stayed in Toys R Us stores until now.

#169 6 years ago
    Quoted from JeffF:

Nat King Cole and Doris Day signing this are my favorites. But I can listen to almost any version. Good way to start the day with a cup of coffee and Doris Day. Thanks!

Que sera sera...

#186 6 years ago
    Quoted from Dr-Willy:

was everything on clearence yet? headed to the bay this weekend and want to take my 3 year old son while we are there so he can see what a toys r us looked like before they were extinct. Just going to let him play with everything and tell him to try and remember it as best as he can, and of course let him pick out a few things.

Take pictures to show him one day.

#191 6 years ago
    Quoted from Jam_Burglar:

I took my 4-year-old on Sunday. This is a pretty good Toys R Us and the place was still fully stocked and staffed. There were a decent amount of people there. No deals were advertised but we bought some Lego sets and it turns out they were at a 15% discount using a Toys R Us credit card. My buddy said a similar thing happened to him paying without a Toys R Us card so I wonder if they just aren't advertising some of the discounts. Took lots of video and some photos. The boy flipped at the Lego selection and I got that on video.

That brings back memories from when I took my kids there for the first time.

Then my son & I would go to look at the latest Lego and K'nex offerings.

#209 6 years ago
    Quoted from woody24:

Stopped in yesterday again. This time they put up the signs. Sorta. Not everything was marked. Most things were only marked down 10%. Couple cheaper things were 20%. Video games are 10% off retail. That makes some a better price than most places. But games that should have already been listed at $30, were still $60.
    But for the most part, their current sale price only gets a product down to close to retail compared to WalMart and Target.

Those large liquidation con artists aren't stupid. You have to outsmart them. Basically a waiting game.....

#211 6 years ago
    Quoted from lordloss:

I blame mitt romney for this (bain capital)

That poor guy. I should send him the 20% off Harbor Freight coupon I received in an email from the local store's manager. They're having a sale this weekend. Plus, a coupon for either a free microfiber cloth or flashlight.

Also, Aldi's has some pretty good deals this weekend. Maybe he can send his butler over for some Chef's Cupboard chunky soup and Clancy's knock-off Doritos.....

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mrbally.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/rip-toys-r-us?tu=mrbally and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.