(Topic ID: 212314)

RIP - Toys R Us

By Frax

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20180331_210257 (resized).jpg
    FB_IMG_1522015485514 (resized).jpg
    apivgrrrk__68762.1504109098 (resized).jpg
    ted for art accented edges (2) (resized).jpg
    IMG_0212 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0207 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0200 (resized).JPG
    toys r us shirt 2.jpg (resized).JPG
    toys r us shirt 1.jpg (resized).JPG
    15FC5488-9AD0-4C46-94A7-8D0B5517AB2C (resized).jpeg
    B4E0D996-4FEE-4B0F-892A-6596F5349F71 (resized).jpeg
    1.JPG
    ToysRUs1990 (resized).jpg
    bk37qsp.gif
    C45131E4-3625-4B1B-931F-289DA9EB3C39 (resized).jpeg
    Capture (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider frax.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 6 years ago

http://money.cnn.com/2018/03/14/news/companies/toys-r-us-closing-stores/index.html

Yep.. I dunno about anyone else but TRU was the videogame shop of choice for me in the 90's, aside from Funcoland. If it was new, it came from TRU. Used, from Funco. I'll never forget the security cage and the magical pimple-faced losers that had the awesome responsibility of exchanging a worthless piece of paper for a shiny new NES/SNES game. It's been relatively depressing to witness the long, slow decline, but it had to be inevitable. Black Friday can't save an entire company.

Who's gonna go raiding looking for deals? I know I am.

#3 6 years ago
    Quoted from PinMonk:

Liquidation company will handle it. Likely to be very few actual deals.

It's not like all that inventory at stores is flying off shelves currently, or likely to. What are they going to do...put it on Amaz....oh snap.

#9 6 years ago
    Quoted from InfiniteLives:

i got some sweet deals on some video games at circuit city during their sell off

Yeah, and I remember seeing a bunch of prices that were questionable, like Vireland said. They did exactly that..put it at full MSRP then 25% OFF GOING OUT OF BUSINESS ERMAGERD

Doesn't mean I still won't go take a look once or twice.

#29 6 years ago

That q-bert is the best thing EVER. Hilarious!

Toys-R-Us was the only place I could get Mario 3 when it came out. My mom, doing the only genuinely "nice" thing she's ever done for me without me asking, had actually spent all day calling around seeing if it had been released, if stores had it in stock, etc. By the time I got out of school she was like "Get in, we have to go now!" And I'm just like...what the hell is going on....noticed we weren't going home the usual way, and asked WTF was going on....I about loafed in my pants when she said we were going to Toys-R-Us because it was the only place left in town that had SMB3 still in stock.

There is one small upside to this... it's one less place that Nintendo can give an exclusive Amiibo release. Because SCREW THAT NOISE.

#57 6 years ago
    Quoted from hoby1:

Online also kills is the spontaneous purchases. Buying a tv online you buy the tv, at the store ( hey maybe I’ll get some wiggets and stop for lunch )

So your argument is to encourage irresponsible spending to save brick and mortar? =Þ

#64 6 years ago
    Quoted from Redfive05:

Thanks, I was one of those "pimple-faced losers"

You're welcome. Just know that I was epically jealous of the privileged access to the inside of that cage! TRU went downhill really before I hit working age..I've just spent the last 20 years watching it die off slowly.

#92 6 years ago
    Quoted from hoby1:

What’s the cost of have 31000 people out of work. Plus the damage it does indirectly

Less out of my pocket than a senseless tax that won't change anything. #dickanswerbutTRUE

Let's be honest here... what's the percentage of "Highly skilled" positions available at TRU? 2%? I feel bad for those people. Anyone else? Sorry, you made the same stupid and unfortunate life choices I did.

#100 6 years ago

Man, when my younger one was born 7 years ago, BRU was a godsend. So much stuff was cheaper than say...Target. Only problem was that was before the merger into the TRU stores as well, and the BRU was 5x the distance of any place we COULD shop. It was so much nicer not having to wade through a horde of unwashed 6 and 7 year olds though..

#106 6 years ago

Yeah..I mean....my 7 year old will play video games, but he also plays with Moon Sand, legos, pinball, and musical instruments.

1 week later
    #216 6 years ago
    Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

No point in going for a while yet.

Well, there was a point for me. I found a Voltron "82" (New branding for old Voltron..) 16" black lion to use for the topper for my project. Did I save any money over buying from Target? About 80 cents. Did I pay 10 bucks less than any of the prices that Amazon or Ebay had for the exact same thing...yep. I didn't even know they had released old-style Voltron toys. I'm kinda pissed at myself for not knowing.

apivgrrrk__68762.1504109098 (resized).jpgapivgrrrk__68762.1504109098 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider frax.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/rip-toys-r-us?tu=frax and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.