(Topic ID: 212314)

RIP - Toys R Us

By Frax

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20180331_210257 (resized).jpg
    FB_IMG_1522015485514 (resized).jpg
    apivgrrrk__68762.1504109098 (resized).jpg
    ted for art accented edges (2) (resized).jpg
    IMG_0212 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0207 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0200 (resized).JPG
    toys r us shirt 2.jpg (resized).JPG
    toys r us shirt 1.jpg (resized).JPG
    15FC5488-9AD0-4C46-94A7-8D0B5517AB2C (resized).jpeg
    B4E0D996-4FEE-4B0F-892A-6596F5349F71 (resized).jpeg
    1.JPG
    ToysRUs1990 (resized).jpg
    bk37qsp.gif
    C45131E4-3625-4B1B-931F-289DA9EB3C39 (resized).jpeg
    Capture (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider ForceFlow.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#39 6 years ago

Explanation from a few months back:

#66 6 years ago
    Quoted from hoby1:

This is a terrible contagious trend. We are all to blame for things like this with internet shopping. Not that this is the only cause for their demise.
    The government needs to step in and tax heavy on internet sales or this will be the fate of all but a select few stores.
    Also brick and mortar retailers need to be willing to start price matching all major on line prices if they are to survive.
    If these things happen it will draw people back into store which not only helps the store but all aspects of commerce , auto, fuel , jobs manufacturing of products , upkeep of buildings ect ect
    Online also kills is the spontaneous purchases. Buying a tv online you buy the tv, at the store ( hey maybe I’ll get some wiggets and stop for lunch )
    Continue down this path and there could be a total breakdown in the economy....... That’s just my thoughs.
    Something has to change and soon. We need to get people back in stores and away from their computers. Personally I would gladly pay 5 or so dollars more for a 100 item if I can physically see and touch it. Also if there is an issue I can return it the same day
    Hope someone has an answer soon or good mid income jobs will be much more scare.

I think you have everything completely backwards.

Using taxes as a method of punishment does not encourage financial growth.

Imagine if suddenly the taxes on gas when up to $10. Would that encourage you to drive more or less? Would that force you to start using public transportation more? What if your town has limited or no public transportation available?

Spontaneous purchases happen online. It's not something that is just limited to a physical store.

Online purchases keep increasing every year, but retail sales still vastly overshadow online sales.

https://www.invespcro.com/blog/global-online-retail-spending-statistics-and-trends/

For some things, yes, I prefer a retail store. For other things, buying online is much easier, cheaper, and convenient. In my town, a lot of the stuff I buy online I really can't get from a physical store.

The real reason Toys R Us is closing is that they made a really bad business decision. Blaming it solely on online sales is a little ridiculous.

#73 6 years ago
    Quoted from frolic:

Isn't this like exactly the same problem that is potentially going to bankrupt Gibson Guitars? Somewhere someone thought it was a great idea to take on huge debt and now its time to pay the piper.

Yup.

https://www.digitalmusicnews.com/2018/02/16/gibson-guitar-bankruptcy/

#158 6 years ago
    Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

FAO Schwartz is reopening.....toy stores will be back, but smaller local.....I think big box and cost is the killer.

I've been to the FAO Schwartz that was in NYC a number of times over the years before it closed. Now that was an impressive toy store.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider ForceFlow.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/rip-toys-r-us?tu=ForceFlow and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.