(Topic ID: 212314)

RIP - Toys R Us

By Frax

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20180331_210257 (resized).jpg
    FB_IMG_1522015485514 (resized).jpg
    apivgrrrk__68762.1504109098 (resized).jpg
    ted for art accented edges (2) (resized).jpg
    IMG_0212 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0207 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0200 (resized).JPG
    toys r us shirt 2.jpg (resized).JPG
    toys r us shirt 1.jpg (resized).JPG
    15FC5488-9AD0-4C46-94A7-8D0B5517AB2C (resized).jpeg
    B4E0D996-4FEE-4B0F-892A-6596F5349F71 (resized).jpeg
    1.JPG
    ToysRUs1990 (resized).jpg
    bk37qsp.gif
    C45131E4-3625-4B1B-931F-289DA9EB3C39 (resized).jpeg
    Capture (resized).JPG
    There are 219 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 5.
    #1 6 years ago

http://money.cnn.com/2018/03/14/news/companies/toys-r-us-closing-stores/index.html

Yep.. I dunno about anyone else but TRU was the videogame shop of choice for me in the 90's, aside from Funcoland. If it was new, it came from TRU. Used, from Funco. I'll never forget the security cage and the magical pimple-faced losers that had the awesome responsibility of exchanging a worthless piece of paper for a shiny new NES/SNES game. It's been relatively depressing to witness the long, slow decline, but it had to be inevitable. Black Friday can't save an entire company.

Who's gonna go raiding looking for deals? I know I am.

#2 6 years ago
    Quoted from Frax:

http://money.cnn.com/2018/03/14/news/companies/toys-r-us-closing-stores/index.html
    Yep.. I dunno about anyone else but TRU was the videogame shop of choice for me in the 90's, aside from Funcoland. If it was new, it came from TRU. Used, from Funco. I'll never forget the security cage and the magical pimple-faced losers that had the awesome responsibility of exchanging a worthless piece of paper for a shiny new NES/SNES game. It's been relatively depressing to witness the long, slow decline, but it had to be inevitable. Black Friday can't save an entire company.
    Who's gonna go raiding looking for deals? I know I am.

Liquidation company will handle it. Likely to be very few actual deals.

#3 6 years ago
    Quoted from PinMonk:

Liquidation company will handle it. Likely to be very few actual deals.

It's not like all that inventory at stores is flying off shelves currently, or likely to. What are they going to do...put it on Amaz....oh snap.

#4 6 years ago

Sad. Used to ride my bike there for GI Joes.

#5 6 years ago

Well that’s sad. Around here they were the last good toystore left... overpriced maybee, but they had it!

#6 6 years ago

dang , wonder when stuff will start getting marked down

i also have fond memories of exchanging the paper slip for nes/snes games back in the day.

except i bought shaq fu there... still have it cib if anyone is interested ;P

#7 6 years ago
    Quoted from Frax:

It's not like all that inventory at stores is flying off shelves currently, or likely to. What are they going to do...put it on Amaz....oh snap.

They usually jack the prices back up to full retail or more, then say everything is "up to 25% off!", then baby step the savings up until everything's gone, most of it at more than it cost before the fake sale by sheeple who think they're getting a deal. There are almost never deals at liquidation company sales until the last day or two, and only if there's something you want left, which is rare.

#8 6 years ago
    Quoted from PinMonk:

They usually jack the prices back up to full retail or more, then say everything is "up to 25% off!", then baby step the savings up until everything's gone, most of it at more than it cost before the fake sale by sheeple who think they're getting a deal. There are almost never deals at liquidation company sales until the last day or two, and only if there's something you want left, which it rare.

i got some sweet deals on some video games at circuit city during their sell off

#9 6 years ago
    Quoted from InfiniteLives:

i got some sweet deals on some video games at circuit city during their sell off

Yeah, and I remember seeing a bunch of prices that were questionable, like Vireland said. They did exactly that..put it at full MSRP then 25% OFF GOING OUT OF BUSINESS ERMAGERD

Doesn't mean I still won't go take a look once or twice.

#10 6 years ago
    Quoted from InfiniteLives:

Not saying it CAN'T happen, just that it's unlikely. I usually don't bother even looking until they're 70-90% off the last week or so, which is actually about 30% off a good street price.

KMART and Sears are doing this in our town right now, and it's the same game. OfficeMax just did it a year or so ago. Same company handles almost all these.

#11 6 years ago

It is very sad.

Also all part of the master plan. As time goes by, this will continue, one step at a time. Then, someday a time will come when there is only one place to buy everything. And guess what? All that free shipping? Gone. Those lowest of the low prices? Gone. Everyone will be locked into the monopoly and forced to their terms. They are in it for the long game. Patient and ruthless.

#12 6 years ago
    Quoted from xsvtoys:

It is very sad.
    Also all part of the master plan. As time goes by, this will continue, one step at a time. Then, someday a time will come when there is only one place to buy everything. And guess what? All that free shipping? Gone. Those lowest of the low prices? Gone. Everyone will be locked into the monopoly and forced to their terms. They are in it for the long game. Patient and ruthless.

At least Bezos is paying for all that evil with his hair.

#13 6 years ago

Yes. This is why I buy most things from the retailers. I have had no problems getting price matches from the big ones: Best Buy, target, Kohl’s, Walmart.

#14 6 years ago

I always loved going to toys r us!!

#15 6 years ago

The last thing I purchased there was my Nintendo Switch with Zelda a couple days after the launch. They also sometimes had decent deals on games if you watched their inserts. Buy one new game and get any other title 50% off? Not too bad...

My best memory would be stopping in on my way home from work to play some Mario on the newly released N64 until I was able to find my own machine to purchase.

#16 6 years ago

First Toy City and now Toys R Us.

I could see the writing on the wall when I took my daughter there in the 2000s. A huge superstore with none of the cool toys like we used to have.

Sad day indeed. It will be missed. RIP.

#17 6 years ago

So where do you go to shop for kids toys now? online has nice pictures but you can't touch them.. or am I dating myself and all of that is passé now.

#18 6 years ago
    Quoted from mark532011:

So where do you go to shop for kids toys now?

Walmart, of course.

#19 6 years ago
    Quoted from mark532011:

So where do you go to shop for kids toys now? online has nice pictures but you can't touch them.. or am I dating myself and all of that is passé now.

Target and Wal mart have large toy sections. My kids love going to target

#20 6 years ago

Sad. Can’t say I’m surprised though.

#21 6 years ago

It is a bummer to see this, I remember playing A LOT of video games on the kiosks there back in the 80s and early 90s.

#23 6 years ago

ToysRUs could have made it. A long time ago they should have made all the stores smaller and thinned the number of stores down.

#24 6 years ago

Sad. We had Toys R Us shops in France too. I wish there were shops like this when I was a little kid. Would have been Paradise!

#25 6 years ago

I worked there as a kid when they sold TI-99's, Coleco Adams, Vectrex, Atari 800, Commode 64, and all those sweet carts... too bad they didn't pay well enough to afford'em -- except when the TI-99 was going for $50!
    You haven't lived a full life until you've stacked cases of Huggies 15 high and challenge your workmates to "rock climb" the cardboard dipey wall...
    And here's my vest I found after a closet remodel a few years ago, complete with Mr. T + Q*Bert mashup badge. @!#?@!

S3920001 (resized).JPGS3920001 (resized).JPG
    S3920002 (resized).JPGS3920002 (resized).JPG

#26 6 years ago

Selling video games at Toys R Us was my first "real" job. Man, I loved that job.... Real, real sad to see the place closing.

#27 6 years ago
    Quoted from L8vid:

I worked there as a kid when they sold TI-99's, Coleco Adams, Vectrex, Atari 800, Commode 64, and all those sweet carts... too bad they didn't pay well enough to afford'em -- except when the TI-99 was going for $50!
    You haven't lived a full life until you've stacked cases of Huggies 15 high and challenge your workmates to "rock climb" the cardboard dipey wall...
    And here's my vest I found after a closet remodel a few years ago, complete with Mr. T + Q*Bert mashup badge. @!#?@!

I have to say, I'm a little disappointed that your screen name isn't "Mr. Sluggo"

#28 6 years ago

Unknown (resized).pngUnknown (resized).png

#29 6 years ago

That q-bert is the best thing EVER. Hilarious!

Toys-R-Us was the only place I could get Mario 3 when it came out. My mom, doing the only genuinely "nice" thing she's ever done for me without me asking, had actually spent all day calling around seeing if it had been released, if stores had it in stock, etc. By the time I got out of school she was like "Get in, we have to go now!" And I'm just like...what the hell is going on....noticed we weren't going home the usual way, and asked WTF was going on....I about loafed in my pants when she said we were going to Toys-R-Us because it was the only place left in town that had SMB3 still in stock.

There is one small upside to this... it's one less place that Nintendo can give an exclusive Amiibo release. Because SCREW THAT NOISE.

#30 6 years ago

I’m pretty sure that their stayin open in Canada. At least for now

#31 6 years ago

An American tragedy considering this company 20 years ago had a complete monopoly on not only the Videogame Industry but the entire Toy Industry. They were on the verge of buying THQ, Playmates & Hasbro 20 years ago and accounted for over 27% of all videogame sales....hardware & software. This is truly a sad day in American History.

Grew up as a kid going to my local Toys R Us which when you were a little kid was Paradise! There was nothing like Toys R Us and there will never be anything like it again.

Some will say they didn't change with the times but that's BS. You can pretty much blame Cell Phones & Cell Phone Technology for ending childhood at a younger age than previously.

GameStop will be the next chain to take a GIANT CRAP! Expect them to close half their stores over the next two years!

#32 6 years ago
    Quoted from bbhenry2000:

I have to say, I'm a little disappointed that your screen name isn't "Mr. Sluggo"

Hmmm, the obverse confirms it...

S3920030 (resized).JPGS3920030 (resized).JPG

#33 6 years ago

Man - I used to take my kids to Toys 'R Us ALL the time when they were little. Hard to believe they're now gone.

This is the big toy store (now LONG gone and nearly forgotten) from my youth growing up in the Chicago suburbs that preceded TRU's rise:

#34 6 years ago

The best T'Я'U job: spending Sunday assembling gym set floor models. Customers would see us doing this and then hire us (on the side) to assemble their new set in their backyard.

Best returns: those crappy Taiwanese kids bikes broken in half because kids rode'm as if they were BMX bikes.

#35 6 years ago

Dammit... you beat me to the Geoffery the Giraffe reference.

#36 6 years ago

My old childhood Toys R Us has been a Best Buy for years. I wonder what it'll be next.

#37 6 years ago

I'm not really sad to see them go. I had multiple bad experiences there, they made it such a pain to buy anything like video games. Amazon didn't kill them, they did themselves in. It's finally getting to the time where all these companies that treated their customers the worst (Blockbuster, Toys'r'us, Gamestop, etc) are finally feeling the downside of doing that for years. Gamestop probably will be next, and they kind of deserve it to. I remember when they used to jack up new releases by an extra $5 over MSRP because they were the only local place to have enough copies. People don't forget stuff like that, or at least I don't.

It's going to take longer but some of the other notorious areas for bad service/screwing you (cable companies and rental cars) will be the next areas to be done in.

#38 6 years ago

Taylor34. Agreed. Its like with Blockbuster. It was better to have them around, but I wasnt crying for them when they left. Toys R Us and Blockbusters best days were 20 plus years ago. Bad customer service galore.

I did love there 80s jingle though.

I'm fairly certain that is Jenny Lewis of The Wizard fame as the redhead girl. I recognize that curly haired boy with the glasses from a movie as well, and some in the comment section claim that is Urkel on the swing.

#39 6 years ago

Explanation from a few months back:

#40 6 years ago

Forceflow. Fascinating vid. For those who don't want to watch it, it says that in 2006 they did a leveraged buyout, which gained them 6.6 billion in debt, and with declining sales in a crowded shrinking market they buckled. So sad that greed by the banks and a few investors lost our economy 33k jobs.

#41 6 years ago

This is a terrible contagious trend. We are all to blame for things like this with internet shopping. Not that this is the only cause for their demise.

The government needs to step in and tax heavy on internet sales or this will be the fate of all but a select few stores.

Also brick and mortar retailers need to be willing to start price matching all major on line prices if they are to survive.

If these things happen it will draw people back into store which not only helps the store but all aspects of commerce , auto, fuel , jobs manufacturing of products , upkeep of buildings ect ect

Online also kills is the spontaneous purchases. Buying a tv online you buy the tv, at the store ( hey maybe I’ll get some wiggets and stop for lunch )

Continue down this path and there could be a total breakdown in the economy....... That’s just my thoughs.

Something has to change and soon. We need to get people back in stores and away from their computers. Personally I would gladly pay 5 or so dollars more for a 100 item if I can physically see and touch it. Also if there is an issue I can return it the same day

Hope someone has an answer soon or good mid income jobs will be much more scare.

#42 6 years ago

The one here in town closed up probably ten years ago. I have there sign. The building has been sitting vacant every since. Also both of the Kmarts in town have closed up as well. People must love Walmart for some reason.

John

IMG_0134 (resized).JPGIMG_0134 (resized).JPG

#43 6 years ago
    Quoted from Dayhuff:

The one here in town closed up probably ten years ago. I have there sign. The building has been sitting vacant every since. Also both of the Kmarts in town have closed up as well. People must love Walmart for some reason.
    John

Crazy thing is John ....... I have seen WMs close stores this year.

#44 6 years ago
    Quoted from hoby1:

Crazy thing is John ....... I have seen WMs close stores this year.

That's awesome!!

John

#45 6 years ago

I think a lot of people are missing the real reason they are closing....a failed leveraged buyout by Bain capital. They piled massive amounts of debt onto the company, and the interest alone is choking them to death. The pimps at Goldman Sachs did the same thing to the company I work for, and we are still digging out from a crippling debt load 10 years later. But hey, the investors made out okay!

#46 6 years ago
    Quoted from L8vid:

climbing the diaper wall? heck no! making a fort out of them and having a place to nap during your break was the best

I remember that we also used a wall of diaper boxes to keep the employees separated from the mass of "customers" that were literally clawing, kicking and biting each other over the damn cabbage patch dolls back in the early 80s

I'm sure that I've still got my vest somewhere as well

#47 6 years ago
    Quoted from hoby1:

The government needs to step in and tax heavy on internet sales or this will be the fate of all but a select few stores.

Wait, tax some to keep others open? That's not a good reason to use the tax code. Taxing all internet sales is coming, and already happens on most Amazon sales. There are 26+ states with distro centers and they cover over 2/3 of the US population - and they charge taxes in those states. So clearly taxes are not a significant differentiator any longer.

Quoted from JodyG:

I think a lot of people are missing the real reason they are closing....a failed leveraged buyout by Bain capital.

I thought they were in trouble before the buyout, but ultimately that and a bad business plan did then in. Everyone go look at the Walmart thread - there are dozens of old stores mentioned there that closed long before the internet and Amazon took over. Retail is hard, highly competitive, and Amazon is not the only reason stores close.

Ironically, one of the largest contributors to the internet and ecommerce has THE busiest retail stores I have ever seen - Apple. Always a line for sales or service, and the customers are almost always happy to be there.

#48 6 years ago

This is sad news as I used to go to Toys ‘R Us all the time when I was younger to buy Nes and SNES games. It was always great when they had a prized title in stock. Going out of business is part of capitalism though, for better or worse. Hopefully the employees can find jobs elsewhere that they enjoy.

#49 6 years ago

Just like in Demolition Man soon all stores will be Amazon

#50 6 years ago
    Quoted from j_m_:

the mass of "customers" that were literally clawing, kicking and biting each other over the damn cabbage patch dolls back in the early 80s

Yeah, dollfights in aisle 12! Crazy people after those cabbage-head kids -- and Strawberry Shortcake dolls... my only regret is not buying Star Wars crap and storing it NIB for 30 years! Think of the $100's you'd make today!

There are 219 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 5.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/rip-toys-r-us?hl=alexmogil and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.