New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 212314)

RIP - Toys R Us

By Frax

2 years ago

Topic Stats

• 219 posts
  • 104 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by Deaconblooze
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 27 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

20180331_210257 (resized).jpg
    FB_IMG_1522015485514 (resized).jpg
    apivgrrrk__68762.1504109098 (resized).jpg
    ted for art accented edges (2) (resized).jpg
    IMG_0212 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0207 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0200 (resized).JPG
    toys r us shirt 2.jpg (resized).JPG
    toys r us shirt 1.jpg (resized).JPG
    15FC5488-9AD0-4C46-94A7-8D0B5517AB2C (resized).jpeg
    B4E0D996-4FEE-4B0F-892A-6596F5349F71 (resized).jpeg
    1.JPG
    ToysRUs1990 (resized).jpg
    bk37qsp.gif
    C45131E4-3625-4B1B-931F-289DA9EB3C39 (resized).jpeg
    Capture (resized).JPG

There are 219 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 5.
    #201 2 years ago
    Quoted from InfiniteLives:

wow, no wonder they went out of business lol

That was exactly my thought. If they had an order to do something, and didn't do it... Sounds a lot like not doing chores when your parents told you to do so.

But I have no idea if this was exactly the case. All I overheard was, "We didn't set up the signage last night....Corporate was closed due to the snow....Glad we didn't set up the signage." I pieced together the rest.

#202 2 years ago
    #203 2 years ago

I overheard the founder died. Good grief. His Company did bring me some great old memories. To me be many others, I bet. That guys company probably did a great deal of good over the years.

I had called on different toys r us facilities over the years.

Many years, and many changes. I just hated to see the owner die too, really.

#204 2 years ago

I saw a guy waving a sign on a street corner, that said the going out of business sale was 30% off today.

#205 2 years ago

Sad state of affairs but unfortunately they never kept up with the times so this was inevitable.

#207 2 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

My old childhood Toys R Us has been a Best Buy for years. I wonder what it'll be next.

Yup. Writing has been on the wall with them for a long time already. 15-day return policy, crap customer service, dwindling sales... tick-tock.

#208 2 years ago

Stopped in yesterday again. This time they put up the signs. Sorta. Not everything was marked. Most things were only marked down 10%. Couple cheaper things were 20%. Video games are 10% off retail. That makes some a better price than most places. But games that should have already been listed at $30, were still $60.

But for the most part, their current sale price only gets a product down to close to retail compared to WalMart and Target.

#209 2 years ago
    Quoted from woody24:

Stopped in yesterday again. This time they put up the signs. Sorta. Not everything was marked. Most things were only marked down 10%. Couple cheaper things were 20%. Video games are 10% off retail. That makes some a better price than most places. But games that should have already been listed at $30, were still $60.
    But for the most part, their current sale price only gets a product down to close to retail compared to WalMart and Target.

Those large liquidation con artists aren't stupid. You have to outsmart them. Basically a waiting game.....

#210 2 years ago

I blame mitt romney for this (bain capital)

#211 2 years ago
    Quoted from lordloss:

I blame mitt romney for this (bain capital)

That poor guy. I should send him the 20% off Harbor Freight coupon I received in an email from the local store's manager. They're having a sale this weekend. Plus, a coupon for either a free microfiber cloth or flashlight.

Also, Aldi's has some pretty good deals this weekend. Maybe he can send his butler over for some Chef's Cupboard chunky soup and Clancy's knock-off Doritos.....

#212 2 years ago
    Quoted from MrBally:

Chef's Cupboard chunky soup and Clancy's knock-off Doritos.....

Good stuff right there.......

#213 2 years ago
    Quoted from woody24:

yeah and if you have best buys gamer reward program you get 20% off every day on new games lol. too bad nothing good will be left when the prices finally lower. all the switch stuff had a sign on it saying not part of the sale as well.

#214 2 years ago

My wife and kids were out so they stopped by toys r us today. Most things are 10% off, Lego is only 5% off, which is a lame discount and you get that through Lego VIP anyway.

No point in going for a while yet.

#215 2 years ago

So I posted an event on Facebook... the "Toys R Us Salem Store 7523 Going Out of Business Reunion!" and simply said:
    "Hey there former employees.... let’s get together and have a reunion of sorts at our old place of employment before it's too late. With the impending news of Toys R Us going out of business some of us are feeling a bit nostalgic.... so let’s all meet up and take a group picture in front of the place! Invite others who we worked with as well!

I'm still in touch with 10 people I worked with in my 4 years working there, and Invited all 10 of them. By the next morning they had invited friends who invited friends and we had over 100 people invited.

We all met up Friday night, and over 100 people showed up! A local newspaper and the news showed up too.... and the store sent someone out dressed as Geoffrey too!

#216 2 years ago
    Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

No point in going for a while yet.

Well, there was a point for me. I found a Voltron "82" (New branding for old Voltron..) 16" black lion to use for the topper for my project. Did I save any money over buying from Target? About 80 cents. Did I pay 10 bucks less than any of the prices that Amazon or Ebay had for the exact same thing...yep. I didn't even know they had released old-style Voltron toys. I'm kinda pissed at myself for not knowing.

apivgrrrk__68762.1504109098 (resized).jpg

#217 2 years ago

FB_IMG_1522015485514 (resized).jpg

#218 2 years ago

I brought my two daughters to the Manchester NH Toys R Us on Saturday afternoon ..... it was packed. Parking lot was completely full like an old fashion Black Friday sale. Stuff was 10% to 30% off but almost all of it was just 10%. Was impossible to walk around...shoulder to shoulder people grabbing anything and everything they could. Squeezed into the Lego Aisle, almost nothing left. My youngest did score a Lego playset she wanted so we got that. Oldest said "this place sucks" and didn't want anything. I went over to see if any action figures would be good for my pins .... nothing left. Marvel, Star Wars, all picked over. Went to the video games corner..... display cases were near empty. The Nintendo case had maybe 25 games in it ..... and one was the Stern Pinball game for the Switch! Got my 10% off that (saved a whopping $3) but at least I got one final item and it was pinball related. Checkout line zig zagged in front of the registers then down the main aisle all the way to the back of the store. One thing I saw was the employees were all in a good mood and working their asses off to help everyone. Never get service like that at Walmart

#219 2 years ago

20180331_210257 (resized).jpg

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    Cabinet - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 40.00
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Arcade Arts
    $ 4,199.00
    $ 125.00
    $ 999.00
    Flipper Parts
    Mircoplayfields
    Playfield - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 24.50
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 89.99
    Lighting - Led
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 49.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lermods
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 199.99
    $ 5,899.00
    Pinball Machine
    Nitro Pinball Shop
    $ 26.50
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lermods
    $ 26.95
    $ 35.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    Pinball Haus
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Creo Pinball
    $ 259.99
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 99.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    Electronics
    nvram.weebly.com
    $ 7.00
    $ 79.99
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    PinGraffix Pinside Shop
    $ 63.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lermods
    Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
    Maple Street Sign Shop
    $ 29.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 17.50
    Playfield - Plastics
    Pinball Haus
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 79.99
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    PinGraffix Pinside Shop
    $ 3.00
    Various Other Swag
    Project Pinball Charity
    There are 219 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 5.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside