Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 13 posts
  • 10 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by Rezdog
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

DSC08344 (resized).JPG
    DSC08346 (resized).JPG
    DSC08347 (resized).JPG
    DSC08343 (resized).JPG
    C008B494-0F02-4944-B242-0DBB7B1E9FD8 (resized).jpeg
    B71E8083-2BB6-4B04-8BCC-9C508202C823 (resized).png
    pasted_image (resized).png
    38A0B10E-F04F-4F6A-89A9-D4558776C484 (resized).jpeg
    #1 3 years ago

38A0B10E-F04F-4F6A-89A9-D4558776C484 (resized).jpeg38A0B10E-F04F-4F6A-89A9-D4558776C484 (resized).jpeg

“I loved what I did. I loved 60 feet, six inches.” - Tom Seaver

#3 3 years ago

One of the greatest to ever play the game.

RIP Tom

#4 3 years ago

Oh, I am getting old!

1969 Mets vs Cubs for my 9th Birthday, My father took 8 boys, all 9 years old to Shea Stadium,
    to Watch Seaver Pitch against the Cubs.
    We made a banner on a Bed sheet, and ended up on TV.....An incredible thing for a 9 year old.
    Miracle Mets, Transistor radios, Nathans Hotdogs at the Boardwalk.
    Bought a Rockola World Series for $100 ay Green Acres Drive in Flea Market.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
    #5 3 years ago

Probably the biggest, non-family part of my childhood. Despite his stats and HOF status, people have largely forgotten how truly dominating he was on some truly mediocre Mets teams. Every kid I grew up with in NY wanted to be Seaver.

OLDPINGUY-great memories. I’m jealous.

Last time I saw Seaver at Shea was Tom Seaver day. Blew work off last second. Touching to see how people appreciated him.

#6 3 years ago
    Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

Oh, I am getting old!
    1969 Mets vs Cubs for my 9th Birthday, My father took 8 boys, all 9 years old to Shea Stadium,
    to Watch Seaver Pitch against the Cubs. ...

I'm right there with you in getting old, but I was rooting for the Cubs.

Seaver was always an opposing pitcher, but a great one!

RIP

#7 3 years ago

When Seaver was traded by Donald Grant to the Reds, my mom let me stay home from school because I was in tears.

“There goes Tom Terrific, the best there ever was.”

#8 3 years ago

Pitched for the Reds for 4 seasons and during that time he became a fan favorite. RIP Tom you will be missed. Tom had his only no hitter while with Cincinnati and they partied in Cincy for a week straight.

#9 3 years ago

One of the all-time greats for sure.
    Farewell.

#10 3 years ago
    Quoted from Mike_J:

When Seaver was traded by Donald Grant to the Reds, my mom let me stay home from school because I was in tears.
    “There goes Tom Terrific, the best there ever was.”

One of the worst days of my young life. The worst is you knew it was coming because of the coordinated smear campaign organized by Grant and Joan Payson with Dick Young in the Daily News. Seaver had the nerve to expect to be paid what he was worth. The whole thing was heartbreaking to witness and the final trade was beyond insulting and designed to solely dispose of the man who put fans in the seats for them for a decade. Truly miserable human beings.

#11 3 years ago

I started saving my lunch money in the 9th grade just to reinvest that money at my local card shop once a month.Good times that was worth the hunger. One Saturday I went fully loaded with cash (also with a empty stomach) to splurge on some vintage rookie cards.

Behind the glass counter these two cards caught my eye and I was going home with ONE of these two gems from 67.
    Think Seaver was $160 and Carew was $120 at the time. My teen brain rationalized that if I buy the Carew rookie I would save 40 bucks and use that on some unopened packs of newer cards (nothing was better then opening those packs just hoping to find some gems in the packs)

Current value - Carew 120-200 Seaver 1000-2000...hey but I at least got a good 20-25 pieces the topps,bubble gum : )
    Needless to,say but I did not choose wisely

Live and learn but regardless....thanks for all the fun and memories Mr.Seaver.
    You will be missed

And rod c’mon man I thought you were gonna hit 400.
    C008B494-0F02-4944-B242-0DBB7B1E9FD8 (resized).jpegC008B494-0F02-4944-B242-0DBB7B1E9FD8 (resized).jpegB71E8083-2BB6-4B04-8BCC-9C508202C823 (resized).pngB71E8083-2BB6-4B04-8BCC-9C508202C823 (resized).png

#12 3 years ago

Sorry to hear that Tom Seaver died. Enjoyed watching him pitch while I was growing up. He was a favorite of both my dad and my grandfather.

He started the 1970 All-Star game and his first pitch was a change-up. My grandfather talked about that for the rest of his life. He got such a kick out of it. If you are a true baseball fan, you understand why.

I moved to Menominee, MI in 2000, and shortly thereafter met a woman at a local realtors office who happened to be Tom Seaver's sister.

Fast forward to 2007. I wanted to get my dad something special and unique for Father's Day. There was a fantastic used book store just down the street from where I lived where I spent a lot of time, and I came across two books about Tom Seaver. Both are excellent, but the one by Dick Schaap is exceptional (Schaap has written many outstanding books).

Seaver's sister (I can't remember her name, shame on me) sent both books to him and he signed them. Got them to my dad on time for Father's Day. It gave us quite a bit to talk about. For as much as my dad loved to play golf, he was even more passionate about baseball, so for once I hit a home run for a Father's Day present.

My dad got to enjoy those books for only a couple of weeks before he passed away. I sent Seaver a note, thanking him for the signatures, and telling him a little bit about my dad. I never heard back, but hopefully he got the note and knew the impact that it had on me and my dad.

I'm not sure what the worst part is about getting older. For sure seeing your parents age is at the top of the list. The aches and pains that get more constant, along considering your own mortality are way up there as well. But seeing your childhood hero's pass away, it made me pause and reflect back to a time that in retrospect seems like it was so much simpler than they are now.

Rest in peach Tom Seaver. You were one of my sports hero's when I was a little kid, and you were one of my all-time hero's for what you did for my dad.

DSC08343 (resized).JPGDSC08343 (resized).JPGDSC08344 (resized).JPGDSC08344 (resized).JPGDSC08346 (resized).JPGDSC08346 (resized).JPGDSC08347 (resized).JPGDSC08347 (resized).JPG

#13 3 years ago

NightOwl
    Great post. Probably the only post on pinside to give me goosebumps.
    Why is it that the sport of baseball is so emotionally tied to our fathers? Surprisingly I’ve turned into more of a football fan these days but damn....seems baseball can still tug on my heartstrings. So yeah thank you Tom Seaver and nightowl

but most of all... thank you Dad.

Go O’s : )

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/rip-tom-seaver?hl=pappadubz and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.