Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 43 posts
  • 32 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by pinster68
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

42C19DA6-33A9-4718-8481-902C59EEB2FA (resized).jpeg
    IMG_9103 (resized).JPG
    IMG_9100 (resized).JPG
    IMG_9102 (resized).JPG
    IMG_9101 (resized).JPG
    08CF9E14-EFC2-41BE-BDB8-ADF1F4222F3A (resized).jpeg
    EBE910B0-D403-49DD-8C10-15F32165AD4C (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider crazylevi.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 3 years ago

While a name most here won’t recognize, steve is an NYC, industry, and competitive pinball hero. He founded PAPA and his Broadway City arcade at 51st and Broadway is the stuff of Big Apple legend. Unfortunately before my time I never got to enjoy it.

RIP steve we will miss you. I had the pleasure of speaking with him on the phone last week to add to the chorus of support. He knew how much we all loved him! Thanks for getting the ball rolling so to speak on so much of this stuff we enjoy and celebrate.

#3 3 years ago

Steve at NYCPC 2018 - he gave us lots of free advice and support and took us out for Chinese food. What a mensch!!

08CF9E14-EFC2-41BE-BDB8-ADF1F4222F3A (resized).jpeg08CF9E14-EFC2-41BE-BDB8-ADF1F4222F3A (resized).jpegEBE910B0-D403-49DD-8C10-15F32165AD4C (resized).jpegEBE910B0-D403-49DD-8C10-15F32165AD4C (resized).jpeg
    #6 3 years ago
    Quoted from dmarston:

Steve was looking forward to attending Pintastic New England this year, before we had to cancel. I was talking with him a few months ago about topics for reminiscences at (what would have been) the 2020 show. I first met Steve in the late 1980s, when pinball fandom as we know it was beginning to come together. He was known as a pro-pinball operator then, but he did so much else after that. I knew that there were so many things he did for pinball that we would have to get the topics organized for a fireside chat. Some of his contributions may get overlooked, but this thread is a good first step to gather the memories.
    In addition to PAPA and the Broadway Arcade, I'll remember Steve for the hardcopy magazine called The Flipside, keeping the Century Club going (a trade group of industry veterans), and his role in founding Modern Pinball NYC. When PAPA tournaments were held in New York, he was relentless in getting media coverage that helped keep pinball visible.
    .................David Marston

Yeah it’s amazing all the press he got for those events. Every local news channel and several national news channels covered it. He got pinball on the Today show...several times!

#10 3 years ago
    Quoted from LukyDuck:

Are you in one of the photos CrazyLevi? I see you on the forums a lot and always like to put a face to a name.
    Sorry for everyone’s loss. I never knew the man.

Not me, one of my partners at Never Beef. I look more like a younger Brad Pitt.

#29 3 years ago

Thanks for posting. Love hearing about the old days.

I liked Steve’s explanation, that you take notice as a kid when adults are impressed.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider crazylevi.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/rip-steve-epstein-?tu=crazylevi and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.