Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 43 posts
  • 32 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by pinster68
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

42C19DA6-33A9-4718-8481-902C59EEB2FA (resized).jpeg
    IMG_9103 (resized).JPG
    IMG_9100 (resized).JPG
    IMG_9102 (resized).JPG
    IMG_9101 (resized).JPG
    08CF9E14-EFC2-41BE-BDB8-ADF1F4222F3A (resized).jpeg
    EBE910B0-D403-49DD-8C10-15F32165AD4C (resized).jpeg
    #1 3 years ago

While a name most here won’t recognize, steve is an NYC, industry, and competitive pinball hero. He founded PAPA and his Broadway City arcade at 51st and Broadway is the stuff of Big Apple legend. Unfortunately before my time I never got to enjoy it.

RIP steve we will miss you. I had the pleasure of speaking with him on the phone last week to add to the chorus of support. He knew how much we all loved him! Thanks for getting the ball rolling so to speak on so much of this stuff we enjoy and celebrate.

#2 3 years ago

Terrible news. A sad day for pinball.

LTG : (

#3 3 years ago

Steve at NYCPC 2018 - he gave us lots of free advice and support and took us out for Chinese food. What a mensch!!

08CF9E14-EFC2-41BE-BDB8-ADF1F4222F3A (resized).jpeg08CF9E14-EFC2-41BE-BDB8-ADF1F4222F3A (resized).jpegEBE910B0-D403-49DD-8C10-15F32165AD4C (resized).jpegEBE910B0-D403-49DD-8C10-15F32165AD4C (resized).jpeg
    #4 3 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Steve at NYCPC 2018 - he gave us lots of free advice and support and took us out for Chinese food. What a mensch!!
    [quoted image][quoted image]

Looked like a really happy, peaceful guy. Glad you had some good times with him.

#5 3 years ago

Steve was looking forward to attending Pintastic New England this year, before we had to cancel. I was talking with him a few months ago about topics for reminiscences at (what would have been) the 2020 show. I first met Steve in the late 1980s, when pinball fandom as we know it was beginning to come together. He was known as a pro-pinball operator then, but he did so much else after that. I knew that there were so many things he did for pinball that we would have to get the topics organized for a fireside chat. Some of his contributions may get overlooked, but this thread is a good first step to gather the memories.

In addition to PAPA and the Broadway Arcade, I'll remember Steve for the hardcopy magazine called The Flipside, keeping the Century Club going (a trade group of industry veterans), and his role in founding Modern Pinball NYC. When PAPA tournaments were held in New York, he was relentless in getting media coverage that helped keep pinball visible.
    .................David Marston

#6 3 years ago
    Quoted from dmarston:

Steve was looking forward to attending Pintastic New England this year, before we had to cancel. I was talking with him a few months ago about topics for reminiscences at (what would have been) the 2020 show. I first met Steve in the late 1980s, when pinball fandom as we know it was beginning to come together. He was known as a pro-pinball operator then, but he did so much else after that. I knew that there were so many things he did for pinball that we would have to get the topics organized for a fireside chat. Some of his contributions may get overlooked, but this thread is a good first step to gather the memories.
    In addition to PAPA and the Broadway Arcade, I'll remember Steve for the hardcopy magazine called The Flipside, keeping the Century Club going (a trade group of industry veterans), and his role in founding Modern Pinball NYC. When PAPA tournaments were held in New York, he was relentless in getting media coverage that helped keep pinball visible.
    .................David Marston

Yeah it’s amazing all the press he got for those events. Every local news channel and several national news channels covered it. He got pinball on the Today show...several times!

#7 3 years ago

Such a warm and friendly guy... May his contributions to pinball never be forgotten. My condolences to his family.

#8 3 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

[quoted image][quoted image]

Are you in one of the photos CrazyLevi? I see you on the forums a lot and always like to put a face to a name.

Sorry for everyone’s loss. I never knew the man.

#9 3 years ago

A very nice man who I had the good fortune to meet a few times when my office was at 50th and Broadway.
    Back then, I spent quite a bit of time at Broadway City which was a wonderful place.

My condolences to his family and friends.

#10 3 years ago
    Quoted from LukyDuck:

Are you in one of the photos CrazyLevi? I see you on the forums a lot and always like to put a face to a name.
    Sorry for everyone’s loss. I never knew the man.

Not me, one of my partners at Never Beef. I look more like a younger Brad Pitt.

#11 3 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Not me, one of my partners at Never Beef. I look more like a younger Brad Pitt.

Cool! Never heard of Never Beef. I don’t think I look like anybody. And certainly not like my younger self!

#12 3 years ago

Sad news RIP

#13 3 years ago

A kind soul and gift to pinball, to say he'll be missed is an understatement. RIP

#14 3 years ago

My brother and I met him last year at ReplayFX and had a great conversation with him. He had so many great stories and was certainly a legend in the world of pinball. RIP

#15 3 years ago

Steve was a pioneer of modern pinball, who juggled many balls, yet always had time to talk. He was a tireless promoter whose lifetime of work touched many people, most of whom never realized it or even heard of him. RIP Steve.

#16 3 years ago

A fucking nightmare

Rip. A life well lived

#17 3 years ago

I don’t believe I ever met Steve at any of the shows, being one of the younger ones here, but I certainly know who he was and what he did for our game. His legacy will live with the game forever.

Attached is one of the video clips someone here aforementioned.

RIP. Condolences to his friends and family.

#18 3 years ago

Sounds like a great guy....Condolences to those who knew him in NYC.

#19 3 years ago

Thank you for your contribution to pinball! Rest in Peace... my deepest condolences.

One of some many things - Steve was also editor and publisher of The Flipside... PAPA provides some digital copies
    https://papa.org/about-papa/

#20 3 years ago

So sorry for the loss.

#21 3 years ago

Rip, he was always super nice, thanx for all you did for Pinball..

#22 3 years ago

Competitive pinball as we now know it would not exist without Steve Epstein. A giant in our hobby. My condolences to all who knew him.

#23 3 years ago

I met Steve a couple times at pinball events. The first time meeting him was at Modern Pinball in NYC when they first opened. When I would see Steve, we would always talk for a while about life and pinball. He always seemed to know who I was or just pretended (LOL). Steve was always a super nice guy to me. Very sad to see about his passing. Condolences to his friends and family.

#24 3 years ago

We were all saddened to hear the news. Steve really lived and loved pinball and helped New York City expand their love too! Think of how many new people he got interested and addicted to the silver ball! That wide smile of his made you like him from the get-go! Steve now has a new job ahead of him---getting God to become a Pinball fanatic! Todd and the Tnt folks

#25 3 years ago

Legend
    R.I.P. Steve

#26 3 years ago

thanks for posting this, Levi. Steve's passing is a big loss. I only learned of him being sick a couple of days ago. I'll miss seeing him around at events.

just want to add a few more pictures i found..

IMG_9101 (resized).JPGIMG_9101 (resized).JPGIMG_9100 (resized).JPGIMG_9100 (resized).JPGIMG_9102 (resized).JPGIMG_9102 (resized).JPGIMG_9103 (resized).JPGIMG_9103 (resized).JPG
    #27 3 years ago

Oh man, sorry to hear of his passing. Northeast legend.

#28 3 years ago

#29 3 years ago

Thanks for posting. Love hearing about the old days.

I liked Steve’s explanation, that you take notice as a kid when adults are impressed.

#30 3 years ago

Always had a smile and friendly demeanor . Chatted a few times with him and played him a few games with roger sharpe in the 92 expo.

#31 3 years ago

Extremely sad. Steve was especially accommodating and friendly. His contributions have been critical to Pinball as we enjoy it today.

#32 3 years ago

I visited that arcade many times while visiting from N.J. as a kid.

Someone interviewed Steve on one of the pinball podcasts. I enjoyed his stories. He was very entertaining. RIP.

#33 3 years ago

Wow, shocked to hear that he's gone. I had many interactions with him during the early PAPA tourneys. A great guy that I was hoping to re-connect with someday. Pinball has lost one of it's best.

#34 3 years ago

A sad day. A non-pinball guy was just telling me the other day that he remembered going there to play pinball when he was a kid in NYC. Was Broadway Arcade the one that often had celebrities like Lou Reed and Kiss hang out there?

#35 3 years ago

Sad to hear. Condolences to friends and family.

#36 3 years ago
    Quoted from SilverballSleuth:

I don’t believe I ever met Steve at any of the shows, being one of the younger ones here, but I certainly know who he was and what he did for our game. His legacy will live with the game forever.
    Attached is one of the video clips someone here aforementioned.
    RIP. Condolences to his friends and family.

Thanks for posting this video. I was actually standing right by Rick Stetta when he did that interview.

It was funny because, while Rick was a nice guy, he was also quite the flake. When Steve Epstein said that they were going to interview Rick, a bunch of us were concerned about how he would come off. He actually did quite a good job. I wish that they had shown more of his interview because he did a great job of describing how/why pinball was different than video games.

#37 3 years ago
    Quoted from Nhpolarbear:

I visited that arcade many times while visiting from N.J. as a kid.
    Someone interviewed Steve on one of the pinball podcasts. I enjoyed his stories. He was very entertaining. RIP.

Pretty sure it was Jeff’s pinball profile

#38 3 years ago
    Quoted from jibmums:

A sad day. A non-pinball guy was just telling me the other day that he remembered going there to play pinball when he was a kid in NYC. Was Broadway Arcade the one that often had celebrities like Lou Reed and Kiss hang out there?

Not sure about Lou Reed and Kiss, but I did play Gilligan and Addams with the original Real World cast there. I played with, I believe, Norm and Julie and a few others who I can no longer remember.

#39 3 years ago
    Quoted from Mike_J:

Not sure about Lou Reed and Kiss, but I did play Gilligan and Addams with the original Real World cast there. I played with, I believe, Norm and Julie and a few others who I can no longer remember.

Just looked it up - "Celebrities play pinball at the Broadway Arcade, including Lou Reed, Roberta Flack, Matthew Broderick, Paul Simon and a host of Broadway stars and cast members and members of the orchestras, who run in during rehearsal breaks, between matinees and evening performances and even during intermissions." No mention of Kiss though.

#40 3 years ago
    Quoted from jibmums:

Just looked it up - "Celebrities play pinball at the Broadway Arcade, including Lou Reed, Roberta Flack, Matthew Broderick, Paul Simon and a host of Broadway stars and cast members and members of the orchestras, who run in during rehearsal breaks, between matinees and evening performances and even during intermissions." No mention of Kiss though.

Not surprising, it was just a few doors down from Les Miserables and the theater Letterman was using (forget the name).

#41 3 years ago

Very sorry to hear the news. I met him briefly at Modern Pinball during a trip to NY a few years ago. I was able to thank him for his contributions to the hobby. That was my only interaction with him, but he was very gracious.

4 weeks later
    #42 3 years ago

Damn. I’ve been out of the loop for a while and just learned this from Allen C.

Very sad news. I had the pleasure of meeting Steve on the grand opening of Modern Pinball. I was the first to walk through the door, and Steve was so happy to spend a little time chatting. A couple years later I ran into him again at the baggage carousel at JFK when flying in from a red eye.

What a great guy. Condolences to his family and friends.

#43 3 years ago

I’m pretty sure this was the shot I took on opening day in 2013. Steve manning the desk.

42C19DA6-33A9-4718-8481-902C59EEB2FA (resized).jpeg42C19DA6-33A9-4718-8481-902C59EEB2FA (resized).jpeg

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/rip-steve-epstein-?hl=ryansherwood and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.