Stephen-Hawking1-copy (resized).jpg
try (resized).jpg
you had me at (resized).jpg
oh (resized).jpg
4F63A075-D89D-44B0-8E01-53AC0269C249 (resized).jpeg
stephen_hawking_simpsons (resized).jpg
CarlSagan (resized).jpg
sh (resized).jpg
There are 74 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#2 6 years ago

Go watch The Theory of Everything. Great movie about the first part of his life.

#3 6 years ago

Incredible life he lived. I don't know how much of his theories will be found to be true but they certainly helped people think outside the box.

#4 6 years ago

This got me. What an incredible life, legacy and family. ALS is a sonofabitch. Google Jason Becker for a similar genius afflicted with the same awful disease, albeit in a different area of expertise..

#5 6 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

This got me. What an incredible life, legacy and family. ALS is a sonofabitch. Google Jason Becker for a similar genius afflicted with the same awful disease, albeit in a different area of expertise..

But it's AMAZING that he made it to 76 with the disease, especially since he got it pretty early.

#6 6 years ago

A truly brilliant individual.... rest easy

#7 6 years ago

“The key to immortality is first living a life worth remembering.”
-Bruce Lee

RIP Stephen.. you lived a life worth remembering!

#9 6 years ago

My favorite unexpected cameo of his is in the Discovery channel commercial:

#10 6 years ago

The most amazing thing about the guy apart from his intellect is that he has lived with ALS for longer than any other human being. This is a disease that usually kills in a couple years and he survived decade upon decade, absolutely amazing!. My cousin actually also passed away from ALS 2 days ago, she was only sick for 3 years or so. An awful disease that slowly strangles you to death.

#11 6 years ago

Seemed to have a great sense of humor about everything, based on his media appearances.
Big credit for staying positive in addition to all his work.

#12 6 years ago

In a world that celebrates sports heros and celebrities to much it’s wonderful to see recognition for such a genius.

Stephen hawking has done so much for science and technology it may be decades before the world sees another influential mind like his.

For a deep scientific read I’d suggest A Brefer history of time, and for a more light explanation I’d suggest The Universe in a Nutshell.

Today is also “Pie day” March 14, or 3.14; and today is also Einstein’s birthday . A day that should truly not be forgotten

Then end of an extraordinary life for an extraordinary man. He will be missed.

#13 6 years ago

Sad. Did not know he was 76!

#14 6 years ago

Hmmm, funny, the last RIP thread got shut down "it had nothing to do with pinball" and here we are again.

Out of respect to Hawking and those who cared for him or followed him, sorry for the loss.

#15 6 years ago
Quoted from Bud:

Hmmm, funny, the last RIP thread got shut down "it had nothing to do with pinball" and here we are again.

The last thread broke pinside community rules

“Discuss Politics and religion: Each to their own when it comes to these hot-button topics, but they have absolutely no place in the world of pinball. Please discuss them elsewhere.”

Stephen hawking was neither political or religious. Science is only concerned about facts, not people’s opinions like the other two.

#16 6 years ago

Will always remember him on Big Bang Theory and his interactions with Sheldon.

RIP the world was a better place with you.

#17 6 years ago

I found him to be an inspiration to me.
Despite trying to read his theories in books several times, it has always eluded me in its entirety.

His wit, was as equally welcome as his brilliance.

Once in a lifetime, do people come with the ability to think this way.....Hawking set the Bar pretty high, and will be missed.

Sad Pi Day.

#18 6 years ago

Damn. So much for the Pink Floyd reunion.

#19 6 years ago
Quoted from Bud:

Out of respect to Hawking and those who cared for him or followed him, sorry for the loss.

That’s because Billy Graham was a Christian. That’s a big no-no today.

#20 6 years ago

Sad when any human passes away but at last he's free from his disease that crippled him. Incredible that he lived that long with a form of ALS. A brilliant mind lost! RIP!

#21 6 years ago

RIP

sh (resized).jpgsh (resized).jpg

#22 6 years ago

“Women. They are a complete mystery.”
—Stephen Hawking

What a great man with a great wit and sense of humor. He, among many others, inspired me to pursue my career as a scientist.

As Neil Degrasse Tyson puts it, “his passing has left an intellectual vacuum in his wake. But it's not empty. Think of it as a kind of vacuum energy permeating the fabric of spacetime that defies measure.”

Further still, he passes on 3/14. Pi day. A number that represents infinity and the quest of humans’ insatiable thirst for knowledge. Incredible.

#23 6 years ago
Quoted from mbaumle:

His passing has left an intellectual vacuum in his wake.

Not as long as I'm around, buddy!

#24 6 years ago
Quoted from mbaumle:

“Women. They are a complete mystery.”
—Stephen Hawking
What a great man with a great wit and sense of humor. He, among many others, inspired me to pursue my career as a scientist.
His passing has left an intellectual vacuum in his wake. But it's not empty. Think of it as a kind of vacuum energy permeating the fabric of spacetime that defies measure. Further still, he passes on 3/14. Pi day. A number that represents infinity and the quest of humans’ insatiable thirst for knowledge. Incredible.

You're really gonna plagiarize Neil deGrasse Tyson and call yourself a scientist at the same time? That's fucking incredible.

#25 6 years ago

Yea, my apology. That was not my intention. Should’ve credited him. Edited.

#26 6 years ago

RIP Stephen. When most people pass, I like to guess whether they went to heaven or hell. In this case I'll imagine Stephen joining the cosmos and overlooking the world thru eternity. Comforting to think he will always be available. As theories on AI go, Stephen says humans are no match and doomed for destruction. He's probably right again.

#27 6 years ago

RIP Stephen Hawking.

#28 6 years ago
Quoted from jeffspinballpalace:

As theories on AI go, Stephen says humans are no match and doomed for destruction. He's probably right again.

NPR ran a really good segment on that this morning. They had an interview of a close colleague of Mr. Hawking. He said, while there was thinly veiled truth to that statement (and the one where he claimed aliens are dangerous, and we shouldn’t go out of our way to contact them), apparently Stephen Hawking also liked to exacerbate statements because he liked the limelight. He was good at stirring the pot, so to speak.

#30 6 years ago

17 years ago, I lived across the street from Mr. Hawking when I went to school in Cambridge. I'd see him quite often as I walked to class.

#31 6 years ago
Quoted from jeffspinballpalace:

RIP Stephen. When most people pass, I like to guess whether they went to heaven or hell. In this case I'll imagine Stephen joining the cosmos and overlooking the world thru eternity. Comforting to think he will always be available. As theories on AI go, Stephen says humans are no match and doomed for destruction. He's probably right again.

I have always appreciated the late Carl Sagan's outlook on life and the after-life and try to follow his example in my life with my family.

CarlSagan (resized).jpgCarlSagan (resized).jpg

#32 6 years ago
Quoted from Luckydogg420:

The last thread broke pinside community rules
“Discuss Politics and religion: Each to their own when it comes to these hot-button topics, but they have absolutely no place in the world of pinball. Please discuss them elsewhere.”
Stephen hawking was neither political or religious. Science is only concerned about facts, not people’s opinions like the other two.

And please explain what Hawkins had to do with pinball?

#33 6 years ago

Woody please read, off topic. Not too difficult.

#34 6 years ago

What does pinball have to do with science?

Pinball is a game where I test my understanding of a few basic scientific principles using only my observational skills, and hands.

While I am not a scientist, when I play pinball, I am actively predicting how the ball will move by tracking:

* spin (potential energy)
* vectors (trigonometry)

So for me, each pinball machine is a small science lab for tracking spin and vectors...

-mof

#35 6 years ago
Quoted from mof:

What does pinball have to do with science?
Pinball is a game where I test my understanding of a few basic scientific principles using only my observational skills, and hands.
While I am not a scientist, when I play pinball, I am actively predicting how the ball will move by tracking:
* spin (potential energy)
* vectors (trigonometry)
So for me, each pinball machine is a small science lab for tracking spin and vectors...
-mof

I would say what you are referring to is physics, which is a branch of science, but nothing to do with Hawkings studies. Science is testing, observation and repeated results that take theory and turn them to fact. Anything else else is theory, belief or religion.

Religion "may be defined as a cultural system of designated behaviors and practices, world views, texts, sanctified places, prophesies, ethics, or organizations, that relate humanity to the supernatural, transcendental, or spiritual".

He certainly was an intelligent man and dedicated, especially with the limited physical abilities.

Hawking primarily dealt with cosmology and theorems. He was certainly into the supernatural and like most all of us, lived a life and had views according to his practices and understanding of things.

#36 6 years ago
Quoted from Bud:

People die and then people put threads up. They're all in the OT section and acceptable if people can control themselves.
When it's something like religion it becomes a pissing match which leads nowhere and they shut it down. It's not that hard to understand really.

#37 6 years ago
Quoted from Bud:

I would say what you are referring to is physics, which is a branch of science, but nothing to do with Hawkings studies. Science is testing, observation and repeated results that take theory and turn them to fact. Anything else else is theory, belief or religion.
Religion "may be defined as a cultural system of designated behaviors and practices, world views, texts, sanctified places, prophesies, ethics, or organizations, that relate humanity to the supernatural, transcendental, or spiritual".
He certainly was an intelligent man and dedicated, especially with the limited physical abilities.
Hawking primarily dealt with cosmology and theorems. He was certainly into the supernatural and like most all of us, lived a life and had views according to his practices and understanding of things.

Theoretical physics is a widely accepted part of physics, refer to Einstein as a well-known example.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theoretical_physics

#38 6 years ago

Why are people getting mad? You want to praise a zealot, racist, and bigot, I.e.(Billy Graham) and think you won't raise a few eyebrows? Give me a break! Politics and religion are no good, to discuss on the forum, anything else is free game.

#39 6 years ago

whats amazing is how long he lived after being diagnosed with ALS, I think its typically like a 5 year life expectancy

#40 6 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

Theoretical physics is a widely accepted part of physics, refer to Einstein as a well-known example.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theoretical_physics

Uh yeah, who said anything about theoretical physics? Einstein utilized theory, he had ideas that he couldn't come up with theory, or theory was thought of and the result was completely different from the theory. I don't understand where you are going with this. He had an idea, experiments and observations that led to a "law" of physics. He utilized the scientific process, nobody is arguing that.

Quoted from TheLaw:

People die and then people put threads up. They're all in the OT section and acceptable if people can control themselves.
When it's something like religion it becomes a pissing match which leads nowhere and they shut it down. It's not that hard to understand really.

I agree with you, and I'm not getting into any "pissing matches". I haven't said anything bad about Hawking, or Billy Graham like frippertron mentioned, though some have. Both individuals had aspects in their life that I don't agree with, but I don't go thread bashing. If anything I have tried to say good things about both of them but still get thumbed down, I don't get it.

I suppose I am of the opinion that these RIP threads should be shutdown as so many have stated and proven to be a "pissing match". I would say the exception would be to people who are related to pinball, collectors, designers or anybody directly related to pinball.

#41 6 years ago
Quoted from Bud:

Uh yeah, who said anything about theoretical physics? Einstein utilized theory, he had ideas that he couldn't come up with theory, or theory was thought of and the result was completely different from the theory. I don't understand where you are going with this. He had an idea, experiments and observations that led to a "law" of physics. He utilized the scientific process, nobody is arguing that.

I agree with you, and I'm not getting into any "pissing matches". I haven't said anything bad about Hawking, or Billy Graham like frippertron mentioned, though some have. Both individuals had aspects in their life that I don't agree with, but I don't go thread bashing. If anything I have tried to say good things about both of them but still get thumbed down, I don't get it.
I suppose I am of the opinion that these RIP threads should be shutdown as so many have stated and proven to be a "pissing match". I would say the exception would be to people who are related to pinball, collectors, designers or anybody directly related to pinball.

Please feel free to pm me with the disagreements you had with SH.

#42 6 years ago
Quoted from Luckydogg420:

Science is only concerned about facts, not people’s opinions like the other two.

Is that a fact?

stephen_hawking_simpsons (resized).jpgstephen_hawking_simpsons (resized).jpg

#43 6 years ago

yawn.

#44 6 years ago
Quoted from woody76:

And please explain what Hawkins had to do with pinball?

Hawking was a physicist. He mostly worked with quantum mechanics, not cosmology. Hawking also prooved Einstein wrong with things like quantum entanglement. (Einstein called it “Spooky action at a distance”) Einstein said nothing moves faster then light but with quantum entanglement information must be transferred through the universe quicker then light. This led to the discovery of Hawking radiation, Stephens most famous discovery. The cosmological connection comes from Stephens work on a unified theory. The attempt to combine Einstein’s theory of gravity with the rest of physics (spoiler. It doesn’t fit). Quantum mechanics has provided more to the progression of technology then any other field of physics. Even the processor in you computer uses things like quantum tunneling to work properly.

Pinball is all about physics, and to not celebrate one of the best physicists ever would be a travesty.

In my humble opinion Stephen Hawking was more important to figuring out the world around us then Einstein was. Time will tell.

#45 6 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Is that a fact?

That’s a fact.

4F63A075-D89D-44B0-8E01-53AC0269C249 (resized).jpeg4F63A075-D89D-44B0-8E01-53AC0269C249 (resized).jpeg

#46 6 years ago

One thing for sure, the world lost an exceptional mind.
If SH was able to play pinball, Im sure he would have come up with some incredible comments.

#47 6 years ago
Quoted from mbaumle:

Stephen Hawking also liked to exacerbate statements because he liked the limelight. He was good at stirring the pot, so to speak.

He would have fit right in here!

#48 6 years ago

“Nothing ever truly dies. The universe wastes nothing, everything is simply transformed.”

The Day the Earth Stood Still

#49 6 years ago

Please excuse my Aussie sense of humour. We take the piss out of everything.

oh (resized).jpgoh (resized).jpg

#50 6 years ago

His speech-generating device (SGD) always reminds me of this video or visa versa. Love the music video.

There are 74 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/rip-stephen-hawking?hl=mbaumle and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.