1 year ago

Topic Stats

• 74 posts
  • 48 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 months ago by Luckydogg420
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Topic Gallery

There have been 9 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

image (resized).jpg
Stephen-Hawking1-copy (resized).jpg
try (resized).jpg
you had me at (resized).jpg
oh (resized).jpg
4F63A075-D89D-44B0-8E01-53AC0269C249 (resized).jpeg
stephen_hawking_simpsons (resized).jpg
CarlSagan (resized).jpg
sh (resized).jpg

There are 74 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
#51 1 year ago

I saw a interesting show on deep space and Stephen said he thought it was a huge mistake for nasa to include earths coordinates on the golden record attached to the voyager when they launched it in 1977. There has to be some other life form out there and the golden record could lead them right to us!

#52 1 year ago

A few comments on this thread are just a great practical demonstration of how the world has "jumped the shark" in terms of human intelligence and evolution. We're on the down part of the bell curve, folks. When fairy tales, lies, and deliberate misinformation mean more to people than facts, data, research, and learning, that's how you get ants (left as the only thing alive on the planet).

RIP, Hawking...one of the last true brilliant spots in an otherwise unremarkable dusty ball of human waste.

#53 1 year ago
Quoted from Frax:

A few comments on this thread are just a great practical demonstration of how the world has "jumped the shark" in terms of human intelligence and evolution.

Including of course this one-

Quoted from Frax:

an otherwise unremarkable dusty ball of human waste.

#54 1 year ago
Quoted from Luckydogg420:

with quantum entanglement information must be transferred through the universe quicker then light. This led to the discovery of Hawking radiation, Stephens most famous discovery. The cosmological connection comes from Stephens work on a unified theory. The attempt to combine Einstein’s theory of gravity with the rest of physics

You had me at quantum.....

you had me at (resized).jpg

#55 1 year ago
Quoted from o-din:

Including of course this one-

If I took anything you said seriously, O-din, I'd probably have killed myself by now. Just saying. I fully acknowledge that my life, and existence, are a detriment to this planet. I contribute nothing and consume everything. But self-preservation is a real bitch. Even when you want to fight it, it still has a pesky habit of reasserting itself.

#56 1 year ago
Quoted from Frax:

If I took anything you said seriously, O-din, I'd probably have killed myself by now. Just saying.

And likewise.

#57 1 year ago
Quoted from o-din:

And likewise.

Good for you.

#58 1 year ago
Quoted from Frax:

Good for you.

What's really good for me is not getting offended or taking seriously those that think they are holier than thou than most.

#59 1 year ago
Quoted from o-din:

What's really good for me is not getting offended or taking seriously those that think they are holier than thou than most.

O-din....even I'M holier than thou...and I'm an atheist!

#60 1 year ago
Quoted from spfxted:

O-din....even I'M holier than thou...and I'm an atheist!

But are you holier than Blackburn, Lancashire?

#61 1 year ago

Shame to lose such an icon.

#62 1 year ago

Stephen Hawking worked in my town from 2009 until present as a “distinguished visiting research chair” at the Perimeter Institute for theoretical Physics. I never had the chance to see him there, but he was a hero to me. His passing has touched me more then any other celebrity in recent memory next to Gord Downie of the Tragically Hip.

If anyone is interested in physics, then check out the Pi institute. They’re doing world class stuff there.
https://www.perimeterinstitute.ca/

#63 1 year ago

He lived a life well lived

#64 1 year ago

In my humble opinion Stephen Hawking was more important to figuring out the world around us then Einstein was.

I'll disagree with you on this point. The contributions by Einstein to our understanding of the fundamental nature of our universe are unparalleled. He figured out that we live in a four dimension universe of space-time, figured out that speed of light in a vacuum is constant everywhere for every observer regardless of relative velocities, worked out the fundamentals of time dilation, and developed the equations for special and general relativity, which have been confirmed every time they've been challenged.

Hawking tried to combine general relativity and quantum mechanics into one "theory of everything". The big issue is that gravity doesn't fit well with quantum mechanics, so Hawking focused on where gravity has a large impact, namely black holes. He essentially determined that at the event horizon of a black hole, if a virtual particle pair pops into existence, before it can obliterate, one particle will fall into the black hole and one will go out into space, thus the term "Hawking radiation" and the theory that black holes will eventually evaporate (over trillions of years). While this is an incredible theory and expanded our understanding of the fundamental forces, it is for a relatively special case. Hawking didn't discover quantum entanglement or tunneling.

Hawking received quite a bit of fame when he published his book "A Brief History of Time". It was written that most folks could read it and grasp the concepts. In addition, his disease aided in his fame in that it didn't hinder his pursuit and the fact that he had to do most of the work in his head, which is incredible as these are incredibly difficult mathematical problems to solve. I've read a number of his books and in the later ones, he seemed to just throw out theories without much substance behind them. I think in "The Universe in a Nutshell", he pretty much says that the universe popped into existence based on a random quantum fluctuation. He didn't provide many details to back up this point.

Anyway, Hawking was a brilliant scientist and much smarter than I am, but he was no Einstein.

#65 1 year ago
Quoted from hAbO:

His speech-generating device (SGD) always reminds me of this video or visa versa. Love the music video.

The part where he's playing a Dalek in The Theory of Everything is funny.

#66 1 year ago
Quoted from ultimategameroom:

I saw a interesting show on deep space and Stephen said he thought it was a huge mistake for nasa to include earths coordinates on the golden record attached to the voyager when they launched it in 1977. There has to be some other life form out there and the golden record could lead them right to us!

Makes sense if the assumption is based on how humans in our past have interacted each time a new culture came in contact with a new culture . The more powerful civilization would just conquer the more weaker civilization. Obviously, Earth would be considered the weaker civilization because we have not even begun to scratch space travel compared to who would land here.

A more optimistic view would be that whomever, or whatever, lands here would not only be technologically superior, but also morally superior.

Statistically, he is probably right as the odds are at 50% if whomever finds our coordinates would want to subjugate us or not.

#67 1 year ago
Quoted from MikeS:

I have always appreciated the late Carl Sagan's outlook on life and the after-life and try to follow his example in my life with my family.

I've never read this before. It is beautiful and made me cry (not easy). I will have to show it to my wife as we are both atheists.

#68 1 year ago

Sorry, one more bit of sick humour

try (resized).jpg

#69 1 year ago

The last thread broke pinside community rules
“Discuss Politics and religion: Each to their own when it comes to these hot-button topics, but they have absolutely no place in the world of pinball. Please discuss them elsewhere.”
Stephen hawking was neither political or religious. Science is only concerned about facts, not people’s opinions like the other two.

No one discussed religion in the topic I started except for the people who were losing it that other people appreciated the life that someone lived.

#70 1 year ago
Quoted from mof:

What does pinball have to do with science?
Pinball is a game where I test my understanding of a few basic scientific principles using only my observational skills, and hands.
While I am not a scientist, when I play pinball, I am actively predicting how the ball will move by tracking:
* spin (potential energy)
* vectors (trigonometry)
So for me, each pinball machine is a small science lab for tracking spin and vectors...
-mof

I couldn’t agree more. I’m not a scientist either but my all time heroes are Galileo, Newton, Einstein...who advanced our understanding of our universe to a higher level. Hawking might well join that pantheon one day. RIP

I like to think that Galileo, in particular, would have been a pinball wizard.

#71 1 year ago

Great scientific mind and tough life physically. Not that it matters much but he was an atheist so I'm not sure R.I.P. is the quite the terminology to use although I realize it is used very generically irrespective of beliefs in many cases but it has Christians roots and alludes to an afterlife. At any rate, it is amazing that despite his physical challenges what he was able to accomplish scientifically and publicly. And, I do like his quote "It would not be much of a universe if it wasn't home to the people you love."

3 weeks later
#73 1 year ago

I wonder if Hawking played pinball?

I recently rewatched the Theory of Everything film and it showed the guys playing pinball when they were in school.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinball-in-movies-or-tv-shows-name-a-game-you-have-seen-in-the-background/page/5#post-2247474

I bet Ben Heck could have built a device that would have let him control the flippers with his eye/cheek movement!

My dad passed away from ALS and a good memory I have is playing pinball with him, even though I had to help him plunge and move his hands into place to use the flippers. It reminded me of playing arcade games with him as a kid.

RIP Stephen Hawking... I don't understand a word you have said, except for maybe:

"Women. They are a complete mystery"

Stephen-Hawking1-copy (resized).jpg

6 months later
#74 7 months ago

Amazon just delivered Stephens last book to me yesterday. I’m only through the first chapter but I’m excited to finish reading this. Did anyone else buy this yet?

image (resized).jpg

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 87.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
€ 339.00
Displays
GermanGamingSupplies.com
$ 999.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields
$ 131.00
Cabinet Parts
Tilted Pinball
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 45.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 7,500.00
Pinball Machine
Nitro Pinball Shop
$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 23.25
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
The MOD Couple
$ 174.99
$ 5,799.00
Pinball Machine
Flip N Out Pinball
$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
Bright Lights Pinball
$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 269.99
$ 7,299.00
Pinball Machine
Flip N Out Pinball
$ 7.00
Electronics
APB Enterprises
$ 73.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
LightAndTimeArt
$ 99.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 24.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk
$ 9,500.00
Pinball Machine
Little Shop Of Games
$ 60.00
Playfield - Plastics
Vandelay Industries
$ 9.95
There are 74 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside