imgres-1 (resized).jpg
JamesBondGottlieb (resized).jpg
moonrakerposter (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpeg
James Bonds (resized).jpg
MoonRaker1 (resized).png
#1 6 years ago

http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-40018422

I'm a huge Bond fan, so this is especially terrible news for me.

#2 6 years ago

Yes very sad. Live and let die. So damn good.

#3 6 years ago

He played a pretty amusing role as Bond. Sad news.

#4 6 years ago

Sorry to hear it, though 89 is a good long run. Thanks for posting that article, the video interview was interesting and seems like he was perfectly sharp and still enjoying life up to the end. May we all be half as lucky.

#5 6 years ago

Some of his movies were pretty tacky but I'll always have a soft spot since he was my childhood Bond. Spy Who Loved Me is in my top three behind Russia With love and Goldfinger.

He really made the role his own, even if it was hard to buy him doing the action stuff even in the 70s and by his last couple it of movies it was absolutely ridiculous. Dude never met a blue screen or stuntman he didn't like!

#6 6 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Some of his movies were pretty tacky but I'll always have a soft spot since he was my childhood Bond.

I agree 100%. He had some of the tackiest movies, but I've always enjoyed them. He always added just the right amount of camp humor, something that's been lost in recent movies. Like that scene in Moonraker where Jaws is seen biting through a cable car cable? Yes. Then turns good and runs off with the tiniest little blond girl in the space station? Very yes. Or when the tune to get into the secret lab is the tune from Close Encounters? So clever. (I really liked Moonraker for whatever reason).

My childhood Bond was Brosnan, but "The Man with the Golden Gun" was my first Bond film I saw when I was young. I remember my dad having to tell me who each actor was that played James Bond when we'd watch a new movie with someone different.

#7 6 years ago
Quoted from mbaumle:

I agree 100%. He had some of the tackiest movies, but I've always enjoyed them. He always added just the right amount of camp humor, something that's been lost in recent movies. Like that scene in Moonraker where Jaws is seen biting through a cable car cable? Yes. Then turns good and runs off with the tiniest little blond girl in the space station? Very yes. Or when the tune to get into the secret lab is the tune from Close Encounters? So clever. (I really liked Moonraker for whatever reason)..

I liked Moonraker also but probably because I was about 9 the first time I saw it. Perfect audience for that goofy movie!

"Double-take pigeon" is generally considered one of the lowest moments for the franchise lol. But that movie has lots of charms and its so over the top how can you dislike it. "I think he's attempting re-entry" has got to be the best AC/DC level double entrede ever in the series. And yeah, Moore makes those movies work.

MoonRaker1 (resized).pngMoonRaker1 (resized).png

#8 6 years ago

James Bonds (resized).jpgJames Bonds (resized).jpg

#9 6 years ago

Cue the James Bond pins on craigslist for $8k.

#10 6 years ago

Never thought of him being that old. Always sucks when actor who has made so many memorable movies dies. His Bond movies were always entertaining. Think he is the first (?) James Bond to die.

#11 6 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Some of his movies were pretty tacky but I'll always have a soft spot since he was my childhood Bond. Spy Who Loved Me is in my top three behind Russia With love and Goldfinger.

Yeah mine too...although For Your Eyes Only best bond by miles...sprawling epic!

All the Connery guys couldn't stand Moore ruining the "sanctity of Bond," but some of those Old movies are unwatchable.
Goldfinger 8 minute golf scene feels like 30.

#12 6 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Yeah mine too...although For Your Eyes Only best bond by miles...sprawling epic!
All the Connery guys couldn't stand Moore ruining the "sanctity of Bond," but some of those Old movies are unwatchable.

If that's his ball then I'm Arnold Palmer!!!

#13 6 years ago

By far, my favorite Bond.

#14 6 years ago
Quoted from Vyzer2:

Never thought of him being that old. Always sucks when actor who has made so many memorable movies dies. His Bond movies were always entertaining. Think he is the first (?) James Bond to die.

He was even older than Sean Connery!!!!

And showed every bit of it in the last few movies he did.

#15 6 years ago

My introduction to James Bond was live and let die.

image (resized).jpegimage (resized).jpeg

#16 6 years ago

He was always the best bond in my opinion but like someone else said, he was my childhood bond. For me the two favorites were Octopussy and A view to a kill in that order. Also loved him in Cannonball Run, great stuff.
So sad to read this.

John

#17 6 years ago
Quoted from Dayhuff:

He was always the best bond in my opinion but like someone else said, he was my childhood bond. For me the two favorites were Octopussy and A view to a kill in that order. Also loved him in Cannonball Run, great stuff.
So sad to read this.

John

And it was so sudden and unexpected!

Wait, he was 89?! Ok he had a good run! I'm surprised but none of the obits I've read have mentioned he's the first (official) Bond to pass on, which is really pretty surprising considering they've been churning these things out for almost 60 years.

#18 6 years ago

Shaken .. Not stirred !

Added over 7 years ago: You will be missed

#19 6 years ago

My first was TSWLM but my fondest memory was of MR. Nobody does it better.... RIP

moonrakerposter (resized).jpgmoonrakerposter (resized).jpg

JamesBondGottlieb (resized).jpgJamesBondGottlieb (resized).jpg

#20 6 years ago

Very sad news, although Brosnan was my childhood bond, Roger kept Bond relevant for an incredible 7 films, without him we might have a world without a current Bond and as a huge Bond fan I am greatful for his time as Bond..... James Bond

#21 6 years ago

I always liked watching him in The Saint when he was driving that Volvo P1800 around.

imgres-1 (resized).jpgimgres-1 (resized).jpg

#22 6 years ago

C'mon JJP get that Bond licence secured and immortalise Roger in Pinball history along with all his fellow Bond peers.

I'll take my Roger Moore LE asap

#23 6 years ago

You left this with Ferrara I believe...

<kick>

#24 6 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

For Your Eyes Only is one of the best Bond films....even have a real mountaineering trick to self rescue from a tethered fall.

I enjoy Live and Let Die, Golden Gun, and even Moonraker as well.

#25 6 years ago

Moonraker was a magic time. That was one of the last films I saw before the advent of video. I think nearly every bond after that I saw at home. Except the latest iteration which I love. Jaws!

#26 6 years ago

Always has been my favorite Bond as well. Also liked his appearance in Cannon Ball run

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Plastics
The Pinball Scientist

$ 83.00
Electronics
PinballReplacementParts

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/rip-sir-roger-moore?hl=duvall and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.