Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 51 posts
  • 41 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by Peanuts
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

11DD74A5-5E6A-4FA3-AE5F-00E3EB84D34A (resized).jpeg
    54-osterman-weekend-1983-sam-peckinpah (resized).jpg
    8NJ5Nh.gif
    rutgers01 (resized).jpg
    5D038C5D-5779-4ACC-8EC8-C58EAE60D7C5.gif
    6F1093CE-9237-40A6-9942-5906BB2C325C (resized).jpeg
    1990-blind-fury-poster2 (resized).jpg
    deadlock-movie-poster-1991-1020232389 (resized).jpg
    hobo-with-a-shotgun (resized).jpg
    blade-runner (resized).jpg
    B6915DF9-E3B4-419C-B832-2706DDF3196F (resized).jpeg
    pasted_image (resized).jpeg
    zzzzzz (resized).jpg
    C945C5D8-DAB1-45EF-B3AD-230E702CD145 (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider bladerunner.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#25 4 years ago
    Quoted from shacklersrevenge:

“All those moments, will be lost in time, like tears in rain... time to die”
    RIP, Rutger.[quoted image]

Below from an article I read:
    When I interviewed Hauer in 2011, he told me director Ridley Scott told him he wanted Roy to be “everything and more” than a human was, to which the actor responded, “Can I do a sense of poetry, and maybe a sense of beauty, and can I have a soul, or sense of humor, or be a 7-year-old? Can I love my sister? Can I be sexless but sexy at the same time? Can I be wicked?” He could, and he did.
    “I’ve seen things you people wouldn’t believe,” he tells Deckard, his body slowing down as water pours off his synthetically perfected brow. “Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. C-beams glittering in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All these moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die.”

(If you accept the reading that Deckard is himself a replicant, underlined if not quite confirmed by the 2017 sequel Blade Runner 2049, then Roy’s speech has a different but equally poignant meaning: He’s telling Deckard how much potential he has, and how much it’s been reined in by the humans who’ve programmed him to hunt his own kind.)

The speech’s most enduring line came not from screenwriters Hampton Fancher or David Peoples but Hauer himself, who, by his own account, “took a knife to” a much lengthier soliloquy in the script. The sci-fi references to Orion and C-beams were from the text, but “tears in rain” was Hauer’s, and that, along with the dying light in Roy’s eyes, is what will endure.

Those apparently contradictory qualities all come together in Roy’s final monologue, which he delivers to the bounty hunter Deckard (Harrison Ford) after he corners him on a rooftop. Deckard seems just seconds from his death, but Roy is also literally about to expire, and rather than have his last act be a destructive one, Roy decides to pass on what he knows, albeit to an audience who’s only partly capable of understanding it.

He was badass and a man's man, not slimy like Arnie.
    Yes, it is time for a Bladerunner pin! Tired of themes like Munsters, Black Knight or Wonka!

RIP, big fellow!Tot Ziens!

#27 4 years ago
    Quoted from shacklersrevenge:

Bladerunner was for me, an eye opening perspective on not only the way I watched movies, but life itself.
    It’s a dream theme pinball machine for me, but they are too busy making Munsters and Jurassic Park again. Shrugs.

You should go to this)
    https://bladerunnerpodcast.com/

#31 4 years ago
    Quoted from bladerunner:

Below from an article I read:
    When I interviewed Hauer in 2011, he told me director Ridley Scott told him he wanted Roy to be “everything and more” than a human was, to which the actor responded, “Can I do a sense of poetry, and maybe a sense of beauty, and can I have a soul, or sense of humor, or be a 7-year-old? Can I love my sister? Can I be sexless but sexy at the same time? Can I be wicked?” He could, and he did.
    “I’ve seen things you people wouldn’t believe,” he tells Deckard, his body slowing down as water pours off his synthetically perfected brow. “Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. C-beams glittering in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All these moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die.”
    (If you accept the reading that Deckard is himself a replicant, underlined if not quite confirmed by the 2017 sequel Blade Runner 2049, then Roy’s speech has a different but equally poignant meaning: He’s telling Deckard how much potential he has, and how much it’s been reined in by the humans who’ve programmed him to hunt his own kind.)
    The speech’s most enduring line came not from screenwriters Hampton Fancher or David Peoples but Hauer himself, who, by his own account, “took a knife to” a much lengthier soliloquy in the script. The sci-fi references to Orion and C-beams were from the text, but “tears in rain” was Hauer’s, and that, along with the dying light in Roy’s eyes, is what will endure.
    Those apparently contradictory qualities all come together in Roy’s final monologue, which he delivers to the bounty hunter Deckard (Harrison Ford) after he corners him on a rooftop. Deckard seems just seconds from his death, but Roy is also literally about to expire, and rather than have his last act be a destructive one, Roy decides to pass on what he knows, albeit to an audience who’s only partly capable of understanding it.
    He was badass and a man's man, not slimy like Arnie.
    Yes, it is time for a Bladerunner pin! Tired of themes like Munsters, Black Knight or Wonka!
    RIP, big fellow!Tot Ziens!

https://www.reddit.com/r/AskScienceFiction/comments/191iv9/blade_runner_what_are_cbeams_and_why_do_they/
    Trivia for C-beams.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider bladerunner.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/rip-rutger-hauer?tu=bladerunner and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.