Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

A004CB6F-A4E4-4DB8-91FE-10E4B892D0E8 (resized).png
92265B7E-9A2C-41BD-8455-88187673ACEC (resized).png
simpsons-nostalgia-140897932262 (resized).jpg
5b97c62d2a556.image (resized).jpg
9F5D3642-9E8B-4154-9F93-BC1142E15AB3 (resized).jpeg
180424090006-01-george-hw-bush-lead-restricted-exlarge-tease (resized).jpg
There are 105 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.
#51 5 years ago
Quoted from luckymoey:

Isn’t that enough to be gracious in honoring the loss on a true hero who received the Distinguished Flying Cross.

Not for some... haters are haters.

#52 5 years ago

RIP 41 thank you for your service

#53 5 years ago

Rest In Peace and thank you for your service

#54 5 years ago
Quoted from Xerico:

President George Herbert Walker Bush passed away on November 30, 2018.
This thread will be the only thread that we will allow on Pinside that focuses on his passing.
We will not allow political posts in this thread.
If you want to share a fond memory or condolences for his passing, you are welcome in this thread.
If you want to bring up old political battles or cause discord by trying to steer this thread towards political discussion, this thread is not for you.
Pinside Staff will be monitoring this thread. If someone breaks the rules by making a political post, please report it.
Please do not engage those breaking the rules.
Thanks.
Pinside Staff

As a mod on a site that doesn't allow political posts, to be posting a thread about the death of a former president is already political in itself. Moreso even you demand that people only express positive opinions, thus forcing bias.

#55 5 years ago

Death of a former president is news. No more, no less. We discuss news on pinside, usually off topic. Doesn’t have to be political, even though that was his profession. The man is dead, there we said it, express well wishes for those left behind and grieving and move along. I for one am tired of the back and forth between “sides”. There is no winner when that happens. Let’s remember we are all here because of a common love of pinball and be friends in that. My condolences to the Bush family.

#56 5 years ago
Quoted from EvanDickson:

As a mod on a site that doesn't allow political posts, to be posting a thread about the death of a former president is already political in itself. Moreso even you demand that people only express positive opinions, thus forcing bias.

It’s sad that a few have so much hate!

There’s no political agenda here. We are honoring a great American hero that served not only in WW11, but also contributed so much honor and self throughout his life.

If one doesn’t like something, move on. Let the rest of us show are gratitude and appreciation for a great man!

#57 5 years ago
Quoted from brett:

It’s sad that a few have so much hate!
There’s no political agenda here. We are honoring a great American hero that served not only in WW11, but also contributed so much honor and self throughout his life.
If one doesn’t like something, move on. Let the rest of us show are gratitude and appreciation for a great man!

I don't hate him. And I have no problem with the love you express for him.

This site has always had a strict rule of no political debate. The point of that is too keep it focused on pins, and keep it geographically neutral. Usually threads like this are deleted right away.

I have certainly never even seen a thread created to honor former Belgian political leaders, or decorated Belgian veterans.

#58 5 years ago

He was my Commander in Chief. He led not by speech writers or committee but by example. A gentleman.

#59 5 years ago
Quoted from EvanDickson:

I don't hate him. And I have no problem with the love you express for him.
This site has always had a strict rule of no political debate. The point of that is too keep it focused on pins, and keep it geographically neutral. Usually threads like this are deleted right away.
I have certainly never even seen a thread created to honor former Belgian political leaders, or decorated Belgian veterans.

But honestly if pinside totally followed the “focused on pinball” theme then why would there be an off topic sub forum? What would we do without all of the “do you do your own —————“ threads? And to continue further if there were a thread about decorated Belgium veterans no one would raise this big of an issue about it. People are so sensitive

#60 5 years ago

I'll admit I wasn't the biggest fan of him or Reagan when they were in office, but once his son was inaugurated, it sure made him look a whole lot better.

RIP

#61 5 years ago

I first remembered all the funny things he did but then remembered that was actually Dana Carvey.

Raise a glass to the President of the United States of America.

#62 5 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

I first remembered all the funny things he did but then remembered that was actually Dana Carvey.

I thought when he barfed sitting there with all those Japanese was pretty funny.

#63 5 years ago
Quoted from EvanDickson:

Please. No bias is forced. Simply refrain from posting if you are incapable of showing respect for the departed.

#64 5 years ago

Rest In Peace

#65 5 years ago
Quoted from Phat_Jay:

Death of a former president is news. No more, no less.

Exactly.

If you want to politicize an event like this and can't separate the man from the politics, that's on you. If you want to debate politics, there are plenty of other venues outside of Pinside that allow that.

From this point forward, any further debate on whether or not this thread should be allowed will be deleted. The thread is here and the guidelines for participating were clearly stated. If you can't handle that, nobody is forcing you to participate.

If you don't want to see this thread, you are welcome to drain it.

#66 5 years ago

George HW Bush? Dead? Shame.

#67 5 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

I thought when he barfed sitting there with all those Japanese was pretty funny.

Nice...

You would be better off for once.

#68 5 years ago

Made national news.

#69 5 years ago
Quoted from chad:

Made national news.

It made national news? That's a great reason NOT to believe it!

The media is evil...

#71 5 years ago

They really don’t make’em like that anymore. Awesome contribution to our military, country and government. I wish there were more like him.

RIP 41

#72 5 years ago

A great man that could take a joke. Rest in peace sir.simpsons-nostalgia-140897932262 (resized).jpgsimpsons-nostalgia-140897932262 (resized).jpg

#73 5 years ago

Jeb Bush’s eulogy was very nice at Barbara’s funeral. It’s gotta be tough to go thru it again.

#74 5 years ago
Quoted from Electrocute:

Jeb Bush’s eulogy was very nice at Barbara’s funeral. It’s gotta be tough to go thru it again.

You mean !JEB!

#75 5 years ago

Peace 41.

#77 5 years ago

As a proud American I feel sorry for you if this is how you truly feel.

#78 5 years ago

Odd comment since he served in WW2, but I absolutely will not bash anyone who served our country, so thank you for your service also.

#79 5 years ago

We recently visited George HW Bush’s Presidential museum at Texas A&M University Campus, it made me proud to see his life and all his accomplishments... while my wife was attending A&M circa 2001-2005 #41 would regularly spook the political science professor she was studying under through the window of the classroom, my wife witnessing a few of these events... one day while my wife was riding an exercise bike at the gym on campus, #41 sat on a bike next to her and had a nice conversation with her while they both rode, secret service around watching everything.

G H W B lived in my City for a while, there’s several stops to make to see historical snippets of the Bush clan, always interesting

They don’t make em like they used to

I’ll see you on the other side Mr. President

#80 5 years ago

When I first saw the former president passed I immediately thought of Dana Carvey impersonating him on SNL.

War hero and his dedication to youth sports, especially the game of golf was admirable. RIP George H. Bush

#81 5 years ago
Quoted from EvanDickson:

No one is demanding positive opinions, just condolences as you would for anyone's death.
Have a little class or don't say anything at all.

#82 5 years ago

A great President, probably one of the last to remain "Presidential" and treat the office with the respect that Washington did.

This thread is great too as we can truly see who the a-holes are.

#83 5 years ago
Quoted from Methos:

A great President, probably one of the last to remain "Presidential" and treat the office with the respect that Washington did.
This thread is great too as we can truly see who the a-holes are.

Who the "a-holes" are is all relative to one's perspective.

#84 5 years ago

Condolences to his family.

Whether you agreed with his politics or not, it would be difficult to fault a man who worked so hard or so long for our nation.

In my book, all bets are off upon a persons passing.
A difference of opinion or perspective cannot be set straight without the other party being able to participate.

#85 5 years ago

I look forward to seeing this new, classy, and protective quality in play in all future pinside RIP threads.

I agree with it, as it’s appropriate.

A review of recent ones like Muhammad Ali, george Michael, and John McCain shows that this is indeed a new policy.

#86 5 years ago

Godspeed Mr. President. Thank you for sharing your life, your commitment, and your leadership with us.

RIP

#87 5 years ago

His true contribution (if known) was immense, however the details are not known.
He was the Textbook definition of a Spook, A Spy, Insider, Agent, then became President.
Only Gerald Ford outbushed Bush when it came to this sort of thing.

#88 5 years ago

In the spirit of the thread, a quick story. Back in the 90s, I worked with one of the Marines that served on Marine One, the President's Helicopter during the Bush years. Apparently President Bush enjoyed going out to Camp David a lot to think and reduce stress. He would fly out in the evenings and back into Washington in the mornings. What he didn't realize was the procedures that occurred when the helicopter was used. After every flight the crews would wash, wax, and clean the aircraft to Marine Precision. Having worked with the Marines quite a bit when I was in the Air Force every Marine I met took Duty, Honor and Country very seriously and I admired and respected every member of that service I had the pleasure to work with so I know the extent they cleaned that aircraft. Bottom line was the crews were exhausted having to transport and clean throughout the night and then again during the day.

Apparently, at some point, someone (I'm sure it wasn't a Marine) whispered in the President's ear regarding the procedure associated with flying the aircraft. Not only did President Bush stop flying out to Camp David, but he personally visited the crews to thank them for their service and to apologize for the impact to their life. I can't help but wonder how many world leaders would care enough about a small group of soldiers in their military to take the time to personally go visit them. All politics aside, this type of behavior speaks to someone that genuinely cared about and appreciated those around him. President Bush, you will be missed and thank you for your service throughout the years.

#90 5 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

I'll admit I wasn't the biggest fan of him or Reagan when they were in office, but once his son was inaugurated, it sure made him look a whole lot better.
RIP

Good lord if u didn't like the Bush's or Reagan u must of really had a distain for Obama and Clinton Its been a rough few years for u

#91 5 years ago
Quoted from fosaisu:

The note he wrote to Bill Clinton on Clinton’s Inauguration Day is also pretty telling. Again, not something I’d expect to see today.[quoted image]

They became great friends later in life as well. Unsure of when but Clinton is basically part of their family.

#92 5 years ago
92265B7E-9A2C-41BD-8455-88187673ACEC (resized).png92265B7E-9A2C-41BD-8455-88187673ACEC (resized).png
#93 5 years ago

As the son of a WW2 veteran, I respect all who served, and continue to serve this country, with their honor, hard work and sacrifice.
I respect the man for the position that he held. Becoming President of the United States is quite an accomplishment.
And my sympathies for the family and friends that are missing him right now.

#94 5 years ago

God speed Mr. President, may you now be at peace with your loving wife.

#95 5 years ago
Quoted from brett:

[quoted image]

That picture brings a tear to my eye just thinking about it.

#96 5 years ago

Whether you agreed with his policies or cared for his personality or not, there is no denying the man had a huge heart.

And at 90 years old he jumped out of a perfectly good helicopter because he still could. We should all be so lucky.

#97 5 years ago

The greatest generation!

A004CB6F-A4E4-4DB8-91FE-10E4B892D0E8 (resized).pngA004CB6F-A4E4-4DB8-91FE-10E4B892D0E8 (resized).png
#98 5 years ago

Man I hope I live long enough to get to wear my pants as high as that!

#99 5 years ago

I had the honor of actually meeting Mr. Bush back in 1979 when I was in Prep School....he shook my hand and said, "Young fella, that's QUITE a head of hair you've got there" I've been a fan of his ever since. RIP to a decent guy....

#100 5 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Man I hope I live long enough to get to wear my pants as high as that!

Maybe high enough to cover your ugly mug... maybe?

There are 105 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/rip-president-george-hw-bush/page/2?hl=vampirekangaroo and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.