Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 56 posts
  • 29 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by teddyb73
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

MONKEES-HEAD-11 (resized).jpg
    peter ted 2016.jpg (resized).JPG
    original (resized).jpeg
    7n8vy1b1dzgz (resized).png
    Harrison  Nesmith (resized).jpg
    53b102174c1774a8c475a0321a90eb79 (resized).png
    tork-harrison (resized).jpg
    1967-z-movie-car-monkees-mobile-pontiac-gto (resized).jpg
    pasted_image (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider methos.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#37 5 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Another excellent example, Penny Lane and Pleasant Valley Sunday are both basically the same song, released at the same time.
    Both lightweight pop ditties, singing about the neighborhood around them.
    The Beatles sing about individuals in an idyllic world with people who carry around a picture of The Queen in their wallets.
    The Monkees sound wonderfully pleasant, but the lyrics that start out about "charcoal burning everywhere" and "roses in bloom" soon turn saccharine sweet with "rows of houses all look the same" and "creature comfort goals numbing their souls".
    Much more subversive and brilliant.

PVS was written by Goffin/King about a community where they were living in and "keeping up with the Joneses". PL was written about childhood nostalgia. PVS is a simple 4/4 song in the key of A . PL has multiple key change.

Regardless, the Monkees did a lot of great music, even though they didn't write much nor play it in the studio.

Go watch HEAD for a good time...they did a decent job with it and The Purpose Song is a forgotten classic (another Goffin/King song). Tork was pretty cool for a hippy.

#41 5 years ago
    Quoted from badbilly27:

Vid1900 said it all. I like Vid1900 even more than before.
    Everyone do yourself a favor and listen to the Monkees music. Not just the songs that were just on the TV show, but their other music. Pretty damn good stuff. They fought for years to play their own musical instruments and finally did near the mid to end of their TV show. I was fortunate enough to see them perform (minus Mike N), really enjoyed it.
    As Vid mentions, the Beatles were really big fans of the Monkees. It's said their music influenced each other. The Monkees will be remembered for their TV show, Davey Jones on the Brady Bunch and that cool car. But they should also be remembered for their music. RIP Peter.

Mickey was at the Beatlefest in Chicago a few years ago. My family was in an elevator and he literally got in....by himself. It was just us. He was charging for signatures, so all I said was I really enjoy his work. He was wearing round circular Lennon glasses, smiled and said thanks. I kind of got the feeling he didn't want to be in Chicago...but it was pretty surreal.

#47 5 years ago
    Quoted from RTS:

Sorry, that movie really sucks. It's an interesting time capsule of the period though.
    More interesting is that Toni Basil appears in the film with Davy, but later had a hit with a song titled "Mickey" in the early 80's.
    A better bizarre rock film is the unauthorized Rolling Stones documentary, "Cocksucker Blues." The band would be charged with sexually assaulting a groupie in their private jet if it were released today.

I wouldn't call it high art, but it is interesting to watch as a piece of 60's history.

The final scene where the Porpoise Song reprisal comes when they fall in the river and are trapped in the fish tank is pretty damn cool.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider methos.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/rip-peter-tork-of-the-monkees?tu=methos and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.