Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 18 posts
  • 17 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by ToucanF16
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 7 years ago

There have been a number of con artists on EBay lately charging $125 to repair your Williams 3-6 Mpu boards. These people are frauds and hacks! Do not buy from them! They will try to con you out of more money and send your board(s) back unrepaired. They are fly by night, here today, gone tomorrow and apparently eBay is powerless to stop them. My latest experience is with an Asian guy calling himself Lenny Espitio (an Asian impersonating an Italian? Go figure) Under the EBay name classicgamerepair.
    He is a fraud! Do business with him at your own peril.

#2 7 years ago

You should be able to open a paypal dispute if an ebay dispute did not get you anywhere.

#3 7 years ago

OP, WTF?!

How can what you say be taken seriously? You just signed up here today.

Who are you really?

#4 7 years ago
    Quoted from EEE:

OP, WTF?!
    How can what you say be taken seriously? You just signed up here today.
    Who are you really?

I clicked on his website, he is a pinball tech in CA.. His name and number are listed there, fair enough.

As for the eBay ad, I have repaired a WMS driver board that I believe was originally done on this auction or one like it.. It was repaired kind of, I was able to fix it quick properly, most people are not on pinside, but there are plenty of great board repair options here, hell a Google search would be better as well..

#5 7 years ago

My first Williams board purchase was from this same person on ebay under a different name. advertised as completely rebuilt and tested, working properly. When it arrived the 40 pin had NOT been touched, in fact you could plainly see 2 contacts that were so far out of shape it would be a miracle if they even could make any contact with the pins. If anyone needs board repair there are several people on this site MUCH better than this ebay hack that do board repair without the need to read a crap load of bragging about nothing in the description.

#6 7 years ago

Don't rely on ebay to repair anything...period. I used to do video game console repair professionally years back. Saw so many hacks on ebay its not even funny. Most of these guys could barely pass a high school soldering class let alone let them work on delicate equipment. Many places that have good reviews are either fraudulent reviews or they rely on peoples ignorance to get a good review (IE- the work was garbage but it technically works again the customer just doesn't know the difference between good work and shit work). Theres plenty of good places to send your boards off to, and most don't mess with ebay.

#7 7 years ago

Most legit repair guys have so much work in queue that they don't need ebay... There's a reason why the ebay guys are looking for people that don't know them to send them boards...

#8 7 years ago

I have a bit of confusion here.
    We will start from the top, work down, and then stop.

Business tech address on PinSide is in Las Vegas, NV, but services all of Southern CA?
    Website states based out of Ventura, CA. Which is it? That is tough commute to get to work.

The PinSide business quote logo uses the words $!@# three times for what reason exact reason? Exceptional English grammar for advertisement?

Pinball business, I can confirm very little. The Alan Neuman I recognize in gaming was out of Betson West in San Francisco, and worked as a tech since the 90s. Same person? Did he move to Las Vegas? If not, who is he? How long has he restored games? I have no idea. Anyone in deep southern CA know this business?

Why would any pinball techs in the USA need to send boards to unknown oversea repair companies on Ebay?

Why would any pinball techs give valuable boards to unknown individuals with no reputation for quality control?

Why would any pinball techs pay for non-tangible resources on Ebay?

Why is a pinball tech not getting "Ebay money back guarantees" or Paypal refund, if services are not being performed, as per most stipulations? They go after them, not the buyer.

Why would bonified pinball PCB board repair businesses advertise on Ebay, CL, or other sources anyway? They are almost always questionable.

Why does this business website conduct primary game sales from CL? Good businesses do not use this site for many reasons.

I can understand if boards are above levels of expertise of an individual (never a bad idea) but the rest is a bit unusual at best.

Lots of buyer beware these days from people in this industry.

"Inquiring minds want to know."

#9 7 years ago

I came across an eBay ad for this boardset number repair recently (maybe it was this guy's?) that I kind of giggled at because how in-depth he went to the point of where nobody probably cared. He explained like the history of why these boards went bad but how they can still be good and what is done to make them good (yes you see this a lot but I mean he REALLY went into detail, not just the "these caps dry out over time and need to be replaced with new ones" kind of thing, but like divulging into the history of Williams and why they placed what they did on the boards and why they can be fixed and why you shouldn't buy reproduction boards because yours can be made fine, etc., etc., whoever that guy was seemed really interested in his work.

Usually that stuff sounds scammy and upselling but his was just pretty honest sounding and he didn't really do much to sell his service to the public besides saying why and what he did, which is why I giggled, he said it all almost in the form of an argument against people who buy reproduction boards about how "these boards are still great" and going off on a pretty major tangent in his eBay listing description rather than trying to "sell" his service to the world. Wasn't expecting that!

#10 7 years ago

I would like to think that 99% of pinsiders like myself would find someone here on pinside/within the hobby to help with any board repairs, keep the money in the hobby I say, wouldn't even think of using eBay.

#11 7 years ago

The guy is Rob Anthony "Locked When Lit" If he cant repair your board throw it away and get a new one!

#12 7 years ago
    Quoted from whthrs166:

The guy is Rob Anthony "Locked When Lit" If he cant repair your board throw it away and get a new one!

I will second this. Send your board to Rob. He goes by Borygard on pinside.

7 months later
    #13 6 years ago

I have a Road Kings that I recently bought and turn out that the CPU was bad which I knew when I bought the game, but when I took the board out it turn out that the board was worked on before and was really badly hack. I didn’t want to attempt to fix it because of the hack and really my first choice would be to buy a Rottendog equivalent unfortunately there is no System 11 replacement board available in the market. I finally decided to find somebody to repair it. I wanted somebody local because I don’t like mailing these boards due to the chance of further damage. I found a seller on EBay that goes by the name of Classicgameparts. The real name of the seller is Lenny Esposito and he lives in Plainfield, IL. I drop off the board on the 26th of October at his house. Met the guy and talk to him a little bit, seem like a nice enough person. Two weeks go by and I don’t hear anything from him, keep in mind he advertise a turnaround of one week plus the shipping time. I finally email him on the 10th of November about an update and He reply saying that the board was on the bench waiting for parts. Yesterday I got a message from him saying that the board was never received for service and what can I tell them about that. I message back today asking for clarification on that last message. He says to disregard the last message that his assistant meant it for somebody else. At this point I’m going to wait two more weeks and then open a case with EBay to get my money back and go back to his house to get my board back. I guess I will update later on the outcome.

#14 6 years ago

Ouch! Good luck, I hope it works out.

#15 6 years ago
    Quoted from Yuyito:

At this point I’m going to wait two more weeks and then open a case with EBay to get my money back and go back to his house to get my board back. I guess I will update later on the outcome.

Don't wait. File it NOW and at least get something on file with eBay.

3 weeks later
    #16 6 years ago

Update on this. I got the board back on November 28 after I open a case with eBay. I got the board and the quality of work that he did on this was bad. The board worked for about a week. Don’t waste your money and time with this guy. classicgameparts on eBay. He also has a second eBay seller account under Pinballrepair. I left a bad review but he manage to take it off.

1 year later
    #17 4 years ago
    Quoted from Gamesmedic:

There have been a number of con artists on EBay lately charging $125 to repair your Williams 3-6 Mpu boards. These people are frauds and hacks! Do not buy from them! They will try to con you out of more money and send your board(s) back unrepaired. They are fly by night, here today, gone tomorrow and apparently eBay is powerless to stop them. My latest experience is with an Asian guy calling himself Lenny Espitio (an Asian impersonating an Italian? Go figure) Under the EBay name classicgamerepair.
    He is a fraud! Do business with him at your own peril.

Alan Neuman is trouble he tries to repair boards and when he cannot he throws it to other repair company's and when he's told they cannot repair due to his failed numerous self repair attempts, he begins to demand his way or else by defaming other businesses. Assume all boards Alan Neuman aka Gamesmedic sends you that his hands and basic knowledge of board repair has been tried on them. once they are in another businesses repairman's hands Alan will attempt to control pricing and if its not fair he will blog defamatory statements shortly after boards are rejected and money refunded.

#18 4 years ago

Interesting post, must follow.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/rip-off-warning and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.