Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 148 posts
  • 74 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 minute ago by Trekkie1978
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
    ED484A55-4AB5-48F5-9B88-8D200D3FF626.jpeg
    Screenshot_20210915-193153_Chrome (resized).jpg
    Z.jpg
    Norm (resized).jpg
    norm (resized).jpg
    normchicken.gif
    16316672895743191236642461821293 (resized).jpg
    Screenshot_20210914-162256.png
    F7728E46-DB9A-40A6-A39C-CC742268C7D4 (resized).jpeg
    2211829A-8F6A-4FEA-BDB6-3ECEC07CE64B (resized).jpeg
    Screenshot_20210914-141521_DrawKing (resized).jpg
    Pidgeon (resized).jpg
    url.jpg

There are 148 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 3.
    #101 2 days ago

Turd Ferguson, it's a funny name

#102 2 days ago

Last Letterman appearance was great!

#103 2 days ago

One of my favorite Norm moments ever:

“In a brilliant move during closing arguments, Simpson attorney Johnnie Cochran put on the knit cap prosecutors say O.J. wore the night he committed the murders. Although O.J. may have hurt his case when he suddenly blurted out 'Hey, hey, easy with that, that's my lucky stabbing hat!'”

#104 2 days ago

Here's Norm take on serial killers if you interested in that type of stuff.

On Albert Fish... (with Fred Stoller)

On The Conan show....

#105 2 days ago
    Quoted from dirkdiggler:

Was just watching some old snl clips on the weekend. Love Turd Ferguson.
    [quoted image]

Turd Ferguson was genius…
    His OJ jokes were never ending.
    Just a great comedian. He understood the art of comedy, the timing and how to make a joke/gag work. Another one that will be missed.

#106 2 days ago

I saw his standup routine long before he joined SNL and really liked his dry delivery. It seemed to be a little TOO dry sometimes on Weekend Update, but enjoyed many of his impressions, especially Burt Reynolds. Bummer.

#107 2 days ago
    Quoted from frenchmarky:

Great deadpan except he always delivered it all with that little smile. They replaced him on Weekend Update with somebody who is about 1/10th as funny.

Right? That little stare & smile after delivering what he knew was a huge cringer…like he knew he was doing something naughty, but in a kind of innocent way. He was my favorite weekend update anchor. He’d do the same Michael Jackson punchline every week, and you know he was doing it just to piss off Lorne Michaels…it was so funny. I just watched a compilation of it on YouTube….still funny lol.

He was the the original voice of Death on Family Guy…for some reason he didn’t want to do it again & the role was taken over by Adam Carolla. Stern used the Norm Death clips in Family Guy pinball, without permission. As a “peace offering”, they offered Norm a pin…he was thrilled with it, and even talked up how much he loved the pin on Leno. He was showing pictures of his house that was for sale…the FGY pin was in the pictures, but he said he’s keeping it.

When I was in college I thought Norm had a perfect cartoon voice…if you haven’t seen Mike Tyson Mysteries, check it out - he’s absolutely hilarious as Pigeon.

RIP Norm!
    (How did Artie Lange outlive Norm?!?!)

#108 2 days ago
    Quoted from Rarehero:

This is definitely one of those examples I will share with my kids of "Sometimes, life is just not fair"...

RIP Norm, you always did it your way, and I respect the hell out of that. What a smart and funny dude.

#109 2 days ago
    Quoted from fosaisu:

A true original. Norm's 2011 special ("Me Doing Standup") is my favorite comedy album ever, no question. And if you like his stuff but didn't catch all three seasons of his podcast ("Norm MacDonald Live") it's a must-listen. They pulled it off the Apple store and Youtube when he got his most recent Netflix show but I'm hoping it will resurface now that he's passed. Youtube also has compilations of his Letterman and Conan appearances that are gold, I've watched them a dozen times and still get sucked in every six months or so.
    I always planned to see Norm live when he passed through Denver on one of his relentless standup tours, but somehow it never happened. I'm sorry to have missed him.

Ridiculous is also a great comedy album -- has an amazing Fantastic Four bit that my son loved -- had to be quick to stop it after that track, though, as it proceeds to have a skit about the invention of anal sex.

His "autobiography" is also classic Norm. Maybe a little uneven, but works amazing as a whole. I was never a Norm fan in his prime , but then I happened on his comedy albums and went down the Norm rabbit hole five years ago. Now I'd rate him as my favorite comedian of all time. Maybe the only celebrity death that has actually put me into a bit of a funk.

#110 2 days ago

I had the honor to work with him about 10 years ago. After the show we sat and talked and was a very humble and kind person. He was working on material for his "Me Doing Stand-up" special. Even when he was in early stages of performing a joke they were funny. Sad to know we will not see anymore material from this genius.

Norm (resized).jpg
    #111 2 days ago
    Quoted from Rarehero:

Right? That little stare & smile after delivering what he knew was a huge cringer…like he knew he was doing something naughty, but in a kind of innocent way. He was my favorite weekend update anchor. He’d do the same Michael Jackson punchline every week, and you know he was doing it just to piss off Lorne Michaels…it was so funny. I just watched a compilation of it on YouTube….still funny lol.
    He was the the original voice of Death on Family Guy…for some reason he didn’t want to do it again & the role was taken over by Adam Carolla. Stern used the Norm Death clips in Family Guy pinball, without permission. As a “peace offering”, they offered Norm a pin…he was thrilled with it, and even talked up how much he loved the pin on Leno. He was showing pictures of his house that was for sale…the FGY pin was in the pictures, but he said he’s keeping it.
    When I was in college I thought Norm had a perfect cartoon voice…if you haven’t seen Mike Tyson Mysteries, check it out - he’s absolutely hilarious as Pigeon.
    RIP Norm!

My sister got me a Norm cameo video a while back and she mentioned my interest in pinball and he talked about how he was "in" a pinball machine as death.

#112 1 day ago
    Quoted from seenev:

My sister got me a Norm cameo video a while back and she mentioned my interest in pinball and he talked about how he was "in" a pinball machine as death.

Just curious....but how long was the cameo? I've seen some uploaded to YouTube that Norm did that were 10+ minutes. Only an old chunk of coal like Norm could make a cameo video 10+ minutes long.

#113 1 day ago
    Quoted from dantebean:

I had the honor to work with him about 10 years ago. After the show we sat and talked and was a very humble and kind person. He was working on material for his "Me Doing Stand-up" special. Even when he was in early stages of performing a joke they were funny. Sad to know we will not see anymore material from this genius.
    [quoted image]

I am seriously envious of you. That must have been awesome!!

#114 1 day ago

I love authentic people, and Norm was one of my very favorite comedians. I spent yesterday showing my wife a lot of the funny moments I remember through the years. Most people just didn't pick up on his humor. That always made it even funnier to me.

RIP Norm.

#115 1 day ago
    Quoted from TheHueManatee:

Just curious....but how long was the cameo? I've seen some uploaded to YouTube that Norm did that were 10+ minutes. Only an old chunk of coal like Norm could make a cameo video 10+ minutes long.

It was under 2 minutes.

I got one from Dana Snyder (Master Shake from Aqua Teen Hunger Force) once that was over 10 minutes I think.

#116 1 day ago
    Quoted from Deaconblooze:

I love authentic people, and Norm was one of my very favorite comedians. I spent yesterday showing my wife a lot of the funny moments I remember through the years. Most people just didn't pick up on his humor. That always made it even funnier to me.
    RIP Norm.

That was his strength. He knew what he thought was funny and what he wanted to do, and he didn't care if everyone else in the house didn't agree. he stuck to a bit better than anyone. Well, maybe Andy Kaufman had something to say about that, but Norm was in that league. And funnier than shit.

#117 1 day ago

I love authentic people, and Norm was one of my very favorite comedians.

"Authentic" is a great word for him, which is funny because he was also a very private person, and loved telling wild anecdotes about himself with a straight face so that you could never quite tell which stories were real. He rightly saw all of his public appearances and interviews as performances, and was out to make someone laugh, even if it was just himself, not to boost the image of "Norm Macdonald." And for that reason he was far more authentic telling obvious lies about himself than the celebrity sitting next to him telling a story that was 90% true but was told only to paint them in a flattering or relatable light. Norm was that rare person that seemed to have very little interest in the self-promoting side of fame.

#118 1 day ago
    Quoted from fosaisu:

he was also a very private person

Well, except when he came out as deeply closeted.

#119 1 day ago

This thread is a killer tribute to one of my favorite comedians.

Really great stuff, and excellent reminders here of just how great he really was. His comedy was so effortless.

#120 1 day ago
    Quoted from RobT:

This thread is a killer tribute to one of my favorite comedians.
    Really great stuff, and excellent reminders here of just how great he really was. His comedy was so effortless.

I’m listening to Howard Stern remembering Norm…he played this clip and I burst out laughing.

Sorry if this was posted in this thread already lol

#121 1 day ago

A compilation of Norm calling into the Denis Miller show.

Man, I'm really going to miss him. Feels like a friend passed away, even though I never met him.

#122 1 day ago

I love how you can tell Norm legit makes Seinfeld uncomfortable at 0:18 and then knocks it out of the park with his spin on it. Genius.

#123 1 day ago

Norm saying he loves pinball machines

#124 1 day ago

I’m listening and watching these attachments, everything Norm says is so frkn funny. He has got to be one of the funniest comedians ever. He will be missed but at least his work will live on forever.

#125 1 day ago

Always liked his role as Rusty Heck on the middle. Very relatable character for me.

Z.jpg
    #126 1 day ago
    Screenshot_20210915-193153_Chrome (resized).jpg
    #127 1 day ago

Check out hour three of Dan Patrick Show on podbay today. Talks about how Norm was fired from snl and his interview with him back in 2014 about 30 min in

#128 1 day ago

I thought Tiger Woods was just a golfer...

#129 22 hours ago

Comedians share their most cherished Norm stories.

#130 19 hours ago

Bill Burr remembers Norm. (Love Bill Burr btw)

#131 18 hours ago
    Quoted from jayhawkai:

Well, except when he came out as deeply closeted.

Maybe not so deeply closeted anymore... ;D Here's a previously unpublished clip from his buddy Rob Schneider. Triple trigger warning for those susceptible to being offended, definitely NSFW:

#132 17 hours ago

It's been fun watching all these vids of Norm. Hopefully more are released in the upcoming weeks. The Conan appearances are epic!

#133 17 hours ago

The View appearance is pretty epic. God those women were insufferable.

#134 16 hours ago

They were real battle axes.

#135 16 hours ago

Haven't seen that one. Will have to check it out. I can imagine Norm's brand of humor rubs a lot of women the wrong way.

#136 16 hours ago
    Quoted from dirkdiggler:

Haven't seen that one. Will have to check it out. I can imagine Norm's brand of humor rubs a lot of women the wrong way.

I think he was banned from the View because he kept saying that Bill Clinton killed a guy.

#137 16 hours ago
    Quoted from nudgefree:

Maybe not so deeply closeted anymore... ;D Here's a previously unpublished clip from his buddy Rob Schneider. Triple trigger warning for those susceptible to being offended, definitely NSFW:

Rob Schneider is painfully unfunny, but I laughed at Norm. He elevates the material.

Only thing that offends me is Rob Schneider playing a 14 year old in Surf Ninjas lol

ED484A55-4AB5-48F5-9B88-8D200D3FF626.jpeg
    #138 5 hours ago
    Quoted from dirkdiggler:

Here you go. His level of trolling on the show is amazing! They couldn't even catch on that he was messing with them.

"I realized I did something unforgivable"....proceeds to pop a mint. LOL

Quoted from seenev:

I think he was banned from the View because he kept saying that Bill Clinton killed a guy.

#139 3 hours ago

Here you go. His level of trolling on the show is amazing! They couldn't even catch on that he was messing with them.

Sitting there are and taking it on the chin. I did not know much about Norm MacDonald except Turd Ferguson and Note to Self stuff, but taking it like that makes the guy rarified for sure.

#140 2 hours ago

My favorite Norm routine. Three punchlines in one joke, this guy was brutal.

#141 2 hours ago

Wow... That was depressing. I've never seen an apologetic Norm. He's said way worse stuff on his podcast but it's always in the context of some larger joke. I always thought he was above apologizing for offending people and that's why his career went the way it did. Sad to think he got pressured into this appearance on the View. I mean it's no secret that he hates those ladies but they made him grovel before them.

#142 2 hours ago
    Quoted from seenev:

Wow... That was depressing. I've never seen an apologetic Norm. He's said way worse stuff on his podcast but it's always in the context of some larger joke. I always thought he was above apologizing for offending people and that's why his career went the way it did. Sad to think he got pressured into this appearance on the View. I mean it's no secret that he hates those ladies but they made him grovel before them.

First time I watched it I felt the exact same way you did.

But then I watched a second & third time and began picking up on Norm's subtleties and the fact that he was completely messing with them.

The mint part illustrates that. There's another part where one of the View harpies is talking and Norm lifts his nose towards her. To signify she's an uppity snob.

Also....the second clip of the View with Barbara Walters they make fun of him. And then the same day he goes on to reach the million dollar question on "who wants to be a millionaire?"

Norm was a genius who I will miss dearly.

#143 1 hour ago

I'm pulling my own post from a few years back, I think you guys might appreciate it

(PS: I don't care about anybody's sexuality, I just couldn't pass the opportunity for an "in the style of Norm" joke )

#144 53 minutes ago

Wow, I had no idea about that View bit. Guess I was out of the Norm loop. Most of Norm’s schtick was “I’m a slow talking unassuming nice guy and then BAM something inappropriate.” That’s the joke. Doesn’t mean he means any ill will. I was actually expecting him to give a 5 minute sincere apology followed by “Well thanks for having me on, c*nts!”

#145 19 minutes ago

And then the same day he goes on to reach the million dollar question on "who wants to be a millionaire?"

And Regis screws him!

#146 15 minutes ago

And Regis screws him!

I see it as Regis screwing the children out of 500k. lol

#147 14 minutes ago

I see it as Regis screwing the children out of 500k. lol

#148 1 minute ago

When I was in college, the activities council I was on, I was in charge of hiring comedians.

Norm was the 2nd one I hired. Let me tell you...he was fantastic. He ended up performing for one hour and forty-five minutes long. Halfway through the show, he just started asking the audience what they wanted to talk about. He just played off that for a bit.

My favorite part of the show, is when he said "Yep, I had diarrhea in the coaches locker room early." Everyone was laughing and they didn't know why. Me? I was cracking up. About 45 minutes before the show (held in school's gymnasium), he says to me that he has to go really bad. I didn't want to take him out to the hallway with all the kids streaming in. So I brought him to the coach's locker room.

The next day, so many people asked me what he had meant by that.

This was January 1998, right after he was fired from SNL.

There are 148 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 3.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside