Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 184 posts
  • 78 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 months ago by ImNotNorm
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

41mV2dPtHUL.jpg
    _norm-02 (resized).png
    20220531_195024.jpg
    Screenshot_20220308-133817_Outlook.jpg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    ED484A55-4AB5-48F5-9B88-8D200D3FF626.jpeg
    Screenshot_20210915-193153_Chrome (resized).jpg
    Z.jpg
    Norm (resized).jpg
    norm (resized).jpg
    normchicken.gif
    pasted_image (resized).png
    16316672895743191236642461821293 (resized).jpg
    Screenshot_20210914-162256.png
    F7728E46-DB9A-40A6-A39C-CC742268C7D4 (resized).jpeg
    2211829A-8F6A-4FEA-BDB6-3ECEC07CE64B (resized).jpeg
    There are 184 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 4.
    #51 2 years ago
    Quoted from fosaisu:

You have a lot of well-wishers here tonight. And a lot of them would like to throw you down one -- a well. They want to murder you in a well, which seems a bit harsh, but that's what it says here on this cue card.

#52 2 years ago

I would've bet, and lost, that Artie Lange died before Norm.

#53 2 years ago

Was planning on seeing him at Caroline's NYC. I guess that's not going to happen now!

#54 2 years ago
    Quoted from KozMckPinball:

For anyone who has seen the profane celebrity roasts on Comedy Central: Norm MacDonald, I forget who was being roasted but his roast routine was to make bad, inane jokes that were explicitly anti-profane and purposely lame. Also, I always thought he'd be a great Jeopardy guest host. RIP.

Yeah it was Saget, who is also apparently, a pretty good guy. ( I grew up not too far from where Saget did.)

The story goes that MacDonald told Saget before the roast exactly what he was going to do. MacDonald told him that because they were such good friends he just couldn't fully roast him and he instead took the approach of doing 15 minutes of corny jokes from the 1940's instead. At the very end of MacDonald's segment, he got really serious about how much Saget meant to him and teared up a bit.

#55 2 years ago
    Quoted from PoMC:

I would've bet, and lost, that Artie Lange died before Norm.

Well his nose died before Norm. So you only lost by a nose.

#57 2 years ago
    Quoted from ImNotNorm:

For any Norm fans who want to watch some of his stuff there's a YouTube channel that was run by him that I subscribed to.
    Not sure if it will continue on but it's a great place to watch his skits and humour.
    YouTube channel is called "I'm not norm" for those who are interested.
    [quoted image]

Was it really run by him? I thought it wasn't.

#59 2 years ago

Dang, he was one of my favorites. RIP

#60 2 years ago
    Quoted from seenev:

Was it really run by him? I thought it wasn't.

I believe it was run by his people/publicist. Otherwise the content would be removed for copyright. But don't quote me on any of that.

#61 2 years ago
    Quoted from DropTarget:

Was planning on seeing him at Caroline's NYC. I guess that's not going to happen now!

One of my favorite Norm appearances. I've seen it many times and I still laugh.

Haven't been affected by a celebrity death like this since Bill Withers.

#62 2 years ago

It's always tough when great artists like Norm keep their illness private and then die unexpectedly. This one hit me like when Bowie died. I have nothing but great respect for them though. RIP Norm, you will be missed.

#63 2 years ago

I don't give a rat's ass about most celebrities, but hearing this sad news was an absolute punch to the gut! One of the things I admired most about Norm's comedic talents and standup was that he was loved by a wide range of people with all kinds of political leanings, personal beliefs, and other things that often divide us. He made everyone laugh. We're gonna miss you Norm!

#64 2 years ago
    Quoted from KozMckPinball:

For anyone who has seen the profane celebrity roasts on Comedy Central: Norm MacDonald, I forget who was being roasted but his roast routine was to make bad, inane jokes that were explicitly anti-profane and purposely lame. Also, I always thought he'd be a great Jeopardy guest host. RIP.

Bob Saget.

The end is very touching, especially today.

A lot of the Norm MacDonald Live stuff is back online: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCuu7FvXJb-axWYUY6-WrY5g

I saw Norm live once in a small club in Seattle - he was looking for interaction with the crowd and turned to me and asked "What's your name?" and I kinda got taken aback and just said "Phil" with a bit of a "leave me alone vibe" and he went on to the next person. If I'd answered "My name is Philippe" with my french canadian accent I'm guessing he might have talked about Quebec and pulled stories of himself as a kid or something. I doesn't wake me up at night to think about it, but I've thought back a few times about it still with a bit of regret.
    Oh well, RIP Norm.

#65 2 years ago

Also, if you haven't read the book, it's excellent writing and in typical Norm form, very intelligent underneath the surface.

#66 2 years ago
    Quoted from jellikit:

Sorry to hear. RIP Norm (Pigeon)
    [quoted image]

I was never a big fan of his, but my god he was brilliant on Mike Tyson Mysteries and Family Guy!

Peter: "Who ...who are you?"
    Death: "I'm Calista Flockhart. Who the Hell do you think I am? I'm Death."

And there was this gem too:

#67 2 years ago

I've seen a few comedians say they were envious of Norm's stand up abilities. Takes a true genius to just riff for a couple hours with no set list.

#68 2 years ago

This is incredible.

#69 2 years ago

Never underestimate Norm's ability to tell a terrible joke!

#70 2 years ago

Another one...

#71 2 years ago

(Traylor Howard) "You guys are brothers?"
    (Norm Macdonald) "Well, it's a long story --"
    (Artie Lange) "My dad boned his mom."
    (Norm Macdonald) "Okay, it's a short story."

#72 2 years ago

Totally shitty loss of one of the best comedians. I have front row tickets for his show that was 3 weeks away. Glad so much of his comedy life is preserved online. Just watched Dirty Work with the family last week. Gonna binge this tonight. RIP Norm.

16316672895743191236642461821293 (resized).jpg16316672895743191236642461821293 (resized).jpg
    #73 2 years ago

Another good interview.

#74 2 years ago

Who else but Norm could make such an uncomfortable situation/subject humorous?

#75 2 years ago

Norm's passing is worthy of an avatar change. This day really sucks.

My wife just told me she was trying to get a Cameo.com video of him for me as a Christmas gift.

#76 2 years ago
    Quoted from CaptK:

I don't give a rat's ass about most celebrities, but hearing this sad news was an absolute punch to the gut! One of the things I admired most about Norm's comedic talents and standup was that he was loved by a wide range of people with all kinds of political leanings, personal beliefs, and other things that often divide us. He made everyone laugh. We're gonna miss you Norm!

#77 2 years ago

#78 2 years ago
    Quoted from DropTarget:

Thanks for posting that interview. I needed a laugh.

#79 2 years ago
    Quoted from ImNotNorm:

Norm's passing is worthy of an avatar change. This day really sucks.
    My wife just told me she was trying to get a Cameo.com video of him for me as a Christmas gift.

My sister got me a Norm cameo a while back. He couldn't have been more leashed.

#80 2 years ago
    Quoted from seenev:

My sister got me a Norm cameo a while back. He couldn't have been more leashed.

He musta been impersonating Byron Allen

#81 2 years ago
    Quoted from MajorDrainer:

It's a damn shame O.J. outlives him.

Hell, Bob Dole out lived him.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
    #82 2 years ago
    Quoted from Swainer80:

Hell, Bob Dole out lived him.[quoted image]

And Chevy Chase... Who saw that coming?

#83 2 years ago

Great guest spot on Letterman:

#84 2 years ago

I Will Not Eat A Single Morsel Of Food Until Norm Macdonald Is Dead And Buried

normchicken.gifnormchicken.gif
    #85 2 years ago

The I'm not Norm YouTube channel just released this video.....

#86 2 years ago

Comedic genius

#87 2 years ago
    Quoted from fosaisu:

A true original. Norm's 2011 special ("Me Doing Standup") is my favorite comedy album ever, no question. And if you like his stuff but didn't catch all three seasons of his podcast ("Norm MacDonald Live") it's a must-listen. They pulled it off the Apple store and Youtube when he got his most recent Netflix show but I'm hoping it will resurface now that he's passed.

The whole thing is on Internet Archive
    https://archive.org/details/Norm_Macdonald_Live/Norm+Macdonald+Live+-+S01E01+-+Norm+Macdonald+with+Guest+Super+Dave+Osborne.mp4

Norm Gene Macdonald was the funniest man alive. Now he is the funniest man not alive, and The Bushman is the funniest man alive. His "not a memoir" is one of my favorite books, and I encourage you all to read it when it comes back in print.
    Apparently it has a secret that few have figured out:
    https://mobile.twitter.com/normmacdonald/status/972646070739116034
    https://mobile.twitter.com/normmacdonald/status/1022747643380883456

#89 2 years ago

He was the "chairman of the bored".... or was he?

QSS

#90 2 years ago
    Quoted from ImNotNorm:

The I'm not Norm YouTube channel just released this video.....

That kind of topical post, plus the t-shirt promos at the end, make me think it's not Norm's (or Norm's PR person's) channel.

RIP to a legend. I just bought his book last month and haven't even read it yet.

norm (resized).jpgnorm (resized).jpg
    #91 2 years ago

Also saw him at a local comedy club about ten years ago. Super generous with his time after the show. Just a terrific guy and an amazing talent.

#92 2 years ago
    Quoted from Swainer80:

Hell, Bob Dole out lived him.[quoted image]

Original Tweet:

SenatorDole: "Norm @normmacdonald was a great talent, and I loved laughing with him on SNL. *Bob Dole* will miss Norm Macdonald." https://t.co/gPsdyJ5tS9

Cool that Bob Dole can laugh at himself.

Norm was just one of the best. He could tell a 2-3 minute joke or even more and just bring the whole story to life like a novel and the punchline would be corny but the build-up made you laugh more than you should.

#93 2 years ago
    Quoted from jayhawkai:

That kind of topical post, plus the t-shirt promos at the end, make me think it's not Norm's (or Norm's PR person's) channel.
    RIP to a legend. I just bought his book last month and haven't even read it yet.
    [quoted image]

There's an audio book version read by Norm himself. That's the way to go.

#94 2 years ago

A moth walks into a podiatrist’s office and sits down. “What’s the problem, Moth?” asks the podiatrist.

The moth replies “What’s the problem? Where do I begin, doc? I go to work for Gregory Illinivich, and all day long, I work. Honestly, doc, I don’t even know what I’m doing anymore. I don’t even know if Gregory Illinivich knows. "He only knows that he has power over me, and that seems to bring him happiness.

But I don’t know, I wake up in a malaise, and I walk here and there… at night I…I sometimes wake up and I turn to some old lady in my bed that’s on my arm," the moth says. The insect adds: "A lady that I once loved, doc. I don’t know where to turn to. My youngest, Alexandria, she fell in the…in the cold of last year. The cold took her down, as it did many of us.

"And my other boy, and this is the hardest pill to swallow, doc. My other boy, Gregarro Ivinalititavitch… I no longer love him. "As much as it pains me to say, when I look in his eyes, all I see is the same cowardice that I… that I catch when I take a glimpse of my own face in the mirror."

The moth continues: "If only I wasn’t such a coward, then perhaps…perhaps I could bring myself to reach over to that cocked and loaded gun that lays on the bedside behind me and ends this hellish facade once and for all.

"Doc, sometimes I feel like a spider, even though I’m a moth, just barely hanging on to my web with an everlasting fire underneath me. I’m not feeling good."

And so the podiatrist says, “Moth, man, you’re troubled. But you should be seeing a psychiatrist. Why on earth did you come here?”

To which the moth replies: “Cause the light was on.”

#95 2 years ago
    Quoted from seenev:

There's an audio book version read by Norm himself. That's the way to go.

Instead of reading the book or in addition to reading it? I was planning to listen to it later.

#96 2 years ago

I have to imagine a Norm Macdonald memorial edition of The Man Grate will be available shortly. Made from 100% Cast I-ron.

#97 2 years ago

Was fortunate to catch him at Caroline’s in 2019 and he did not disappoint.

His ESPY hosting gig is perhaps my favorite bit from him. Delivering the Anthony Mason and Charles Woodson jokes in front of that crowd was just perfect:

#98 2 years ago
    Quoted from jayhawkai:

Instead of reading the book or in addition to reading it? I was planning to listen to it later.

I don't have the print edition because I never learned to read.

#99 2 years ago
    Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

My Same Age. For Everyone, the Number is different, but as you get closer, well you order a Godzilla.
    RIP Sir, Thanks for the laughs.

Well then, you're not old.... 61 is the new 41....

#100 2 years ago

Is it spelled BORED

This world is significantly less funny today

Genius

There are 184 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 4.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/rip-norm-macdonald/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.