Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 41 posts
  • 28 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by adamross
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

E3F4EB9D-A839-473E-8E50-2C8A59FCA998 (resized).jpeg
    115EEFAC-BD71-4C51-9593-C9B8F115DF44 (resized).jpeg
    FE18D25D-E424-4994-A626-F9C86D4BFB33 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_3410 (resized).JPG
    21D0040D-6F64-4DB4-81D6-4477559ABD93 (resized).png
    #1 2 years ago

Recently I was shocked to learn that Nick from Planet 9 pinball here in Las Vegas passed away from cancer.

Nick appeared as an expert on Pawn Stars, repaired and restored machines as well as distributed for Stern.

I bought and sold with him many times over the past 15 years and he was always a joy to interact with. He had the utmost integrity and a hilarious sense of humor.

The pinball world lost a true sweetheart and long term friend and supporter of pinball.

Nick, my friend, you’ll be greatly missed.

21D0040D-6F64-4DB4-81D6-4477559ABD93 (resized).png21D0040D-6F64-4DB4-81D6-4477559ABD93 (resized).png
    #2 2 years ago

Rest In Peace Nick. You will be missed.

#3 2 years ago

Horrible news. I tried to call him a few weeks ago and someone returned the call saying he was out on medical leave. RIP my friend.

#4 2 years ago

rip nick, this guys on pawn stars YouTube

#5 2 years ago

I believe this was Nick’s final appearance on Pawn Stars.

#6 2 years ago
    Quoted from prl867:

I believe this was Nick’s final appearance on Pawn Stars.

Bummer, I was just watching this! Didn’t Banning have a smaller version of the Sigma Derby for sale? It’s on my radar!

RIP Nick, enjoy Sigma Derby and endless pinball at the Arcade in the sky. Always sad to lose a public figure who spread pinball to the unwashed masses!

#7 2 years ago

My condolences to his family and friends.

#8 2 years ago

I just learned about this last week and was very sad to hear that Nick had passed. Nick was my go to source for pinballs since I moved about 5 years ago from the east coast to the Vegas area and he was always great to deal with. He truly wanted to make sure that the buyer was happy with the transaction and support associated with his machine sales whether they were purchased NIB or used, as well as providing customer satisfaction when he was hired for repair services.

#9 2 years ago

Heard about this. Really sorry to hear. Nick was a very nice guy.

#10 2 years ago
    Quoted from iluvak9:

I just learned about this last week and was very sad to hear that Nick had passed. Nick was my go to source for pinballs since I moved about 5 years ago from the east coast to the Vegas area and he was always great to deal with. He truly wanted to make sure that the buyer was happy with the transaction and support associated with his machine sales whether they were purchased NIB or used, as well as providing customer satisfaction when he was hired for repair services.

100% accurate. Even on his used/routed games, which he had no obligation to warranty (especially with some of the prices he gave me on some games), he still made house calls and fine tuned each and every one of my pins.

I bought a World Poker Tour from him for a bargain basement price and he made 3 trips to my house to give me a new upper playfield, new DMD, and a spare set of Titan rubbers.

Back when I first moved to Vegas in 2005, he fully restored my family heirloom pin, Gottlieb’s Auto Race from 1956 that has been in my family since before I was born.

In addition to all this, he was sinply a great guy to know and respect as a true pinball Wizard.

#11 2 years ago
    Quoted from prl867:

100% accurate. Even on his used/routed games, which he had no obligation to warranty (especially with some of the prices he gave me on some games), he still made house calls and fine tuned each and every one of my pins.
    I bought a World Poker Tour from him for a bargain basement price and he made 3 trips to my house to give me a new upper playfield, new DMD, and a spare set of Titan rubbers.
    Back when I first moved to Vegas in 2005, he fully restored my family heirloom pin, Gottlieb’s Auto Race from 1956 that has been in my family since before I was born.
    In addition to all this, he was sinply a great guy to know and respect as a true pinball Wizard.

Wow he put that much work into WPT?! You know it was out of love for the hobby!

#12 2 years ago

Nick was One of a kind a hardworking honest extremely talented man with a big heart. He went way out of his way to help folks find what they were looking for. The hobby and the world has truly lost one of their absolute best. Rip my friend you will be missed!

#13 2 years ago

I did not know him but it is never nice to hear about someone losing their life way too young.

Condolences to his family and friends for their loss.

#14 2 years ago

I believe this is the same Nick in this photo? I don't remember his last name but I met this Nick on a "toy" buying trip to the US in 2010. I answered an add for a pinball & it was Nick selling on behalf. I ended up buying the machine & several others. Nick & his partner were extremely helpful. I still own a Bally Playboy he worked on the boards in before I shipped it back to Oz. This photo was of us enjoying dinner one night in their favorite Mexican restaurant in LA. If it is the same Nick, which I am convinced it is, they resided in LA & travelled backwards & forwards to Las Vegas as part of his work. I believe his cousin? owned the pinball museum in Vegas?

IMG_3410 (resized).JPGIMG_3410 (resized).JPG
    #15 2 years ago
    Quoted from Screwloose:

I believe this is the same Nick in this photo? I don't remember his last name but I met this Nick on a "toy" buying trip to the US in 2010. I answered an add for a pinball & it was Nick selling on behalf. I ended up buying the machine & several others. Nick & his partner were extremely helpful. I still own a Bally Playboy he worked on the boards in before I shipped it back to Oz. This photo was of us enjoying dinner one night in their favorite Mexican restaurant in LA. If it is the same Nick, which I am convinced it is, they resided in LA & travelled backwards & forwards to Las Vegas as part of his work. I believe his cousin? owned the pinball museum in Vegas?
    [quoted image]

That is indeed Nick.

#16 2 years ago

If memory serves me correctly his partner's name was Scott? Great guys both of them & they really helped us out. I will never forget them nor their efforts. It's sad to hear of his passing. As well as being a really nice guy he was extremely talented & I'm sure you guys are going to miss him.

#18 2 years ago

A lovely post. Having met Nick & remembering the lasting impression he left on me for the time that I knew him I can imagine you , like many others, are devastated by his passing.

#19 2 years ago

I met Nick in the mid-90s when he came out to California, to pick up a Bad Cats pin for Tim Arnold. I met Jerry Aragon at the same time, and we'd hang out together at various pinball events. For a while I was helping him convert an Earthshaker game into a custom Beavis and Butthead pin, I'm not sure if it ever made it to a show. Once I bought an Addams Family from a mutual friend, and Nick saw the DMD was rolling a bit. He pulled out his toolbox and fixed it on the spot. I later picked up a Cirqus Voltaire from him and Scott Pritchard, and it's still a perfectly running machine.

That Bat Cats game is still at the Pinball Hall of Fame. I headed out that way mid-October with the Museum of Pinball Tech Crew to help fix up some games. I called Nick to try and visit, but unfortunately it was about the time he was dealing with his medical issues. I never got to see him, but had hoped to see him again on one of my future visits. The last time we texted, he seemed to be putting up a good fight. I was devastated to hear the news.

Quoted from Screwloose:

If memory serves me correctly his partner's name was Scott? Great guys both of them & they really helped us out. I will never forget them nor their efforts. It's sad to hear of his passing. As well as being a really nice guy he was extremely talented & I'm sure you guys are going to miss him.

Scott was a great guy, too. Nick's current partner was Erick, who I have yet to meet, but I understand he was by Nick's side every day.

#20 2 years ago

Nick was great. Purchased my hot wheels from him last year. Brought it to the house in his truck and never charged me any shipping. Nice guy. Sucks.

#21 2 years ago

Man just saw this such a dam shame. Nick was so great to work with and he went out of his way to get my mushroom world up and running. I spent hours and hours looking for a short. He came over and found it in 2 minutes. He was awesome and will be sorely missed in the Las Vegas pinball scene.

#22 2 years ago

Very sad to have heard this news
    Way too young to go

Nick was a true pinball tech Wizzard
    Could fix any machine or make any custom game
    He worked on so many of my imported games, no one could do what he did
    Crazy times he would show up to fix machines , 11 pm then work till 3 am but always made it happen

Most people don’t know he also had a music career and produced
    In 1987 he also made a hit record

Many times he appeared on Pawn Stars or American Restorations for his skills

He will be surely missed and won’t find another person like him

RIP

#23 2 years ago

RIP Nick.

#24 2 years ago

Nick was truly a one of a kind. He would often work on my games and would not leave until they were all up and running. A true pinball genius. I will miss all him all the great times we had talking pins. RIP my friend.

#25 2 years ago

Nick drove out to California to buy my Transporter: The Rescue decades ago. I remember when I went to visit Las Vegas I stopped in to see him and saw the Transporter in good shape. He had back then like 6 machines in his place.

Nick took me to meet Tim Arnold (before Tim had the museum) in the desert. There was a warehouse filled with machines. It was insane.

My wife and I use to see him on Pawn Stars and smile.

He was a bright, wonderful man and the lights on our machines are slightly dimmer today in memory of him.

Rest in peace my friend.

#26 2 years ago

Omg wow. I bought an NIB MET PRO from Nick (planet nine pinball) awhile back and man such a great guy!!! He delivered it to my house in Henderson and set it up even!!! For FREE!! Such amazing customer service. Also while he was there he fixed an issue I was having with my BSD at the time. Free of charge!! Nick is a legend. So sad. Here’s a pic of Nick setting up my MET pro day of delivery!!

115EEFAC-BD71-4C51-9593-C9B8F115DF44 (resized).jpeg115EEFAC-BD71-4C51-9593-C9B8F115DF44 (resized).jpegFE18D25D-E424-4994-A626-F9C86D4BFB33 (resized).jpegFE18D25D-E424-4994-A626-F9C86D4BFB33 (resized).jpeg
    #27 2 years ago

Nick was a good friend of my wife and I for many years. Nice was a really nice and friendly guy. I loved all his stories and gossip. He always made me laugh. I would usually buy him dinner as he traveled from Vegas to So Cal to repair my machines. He was also very generous. He would give me throw in items like shooter rods etc with my games.

I purchased a lot of machines from Nick and he spent many days repairing some of my more difficult pinball repairs. He helped me restore a STNG over a five year period. We took our time. The game was a mess. It is finally done!! He worked on it just a few months ago. He would also help me move machines that I would buy locally when he was in town. Several years ago we my wife and I met up with Nick and Eric and went to the Eiffel Tower restaurant in Paris! We had a great time. I will treasure the memories!

Rest in peace my friend. We will miss you!! Tony and Shaz.

#28 2 years ago
    Quoted from ufopinball:

Scott was a great guy, too. Nick's current partner was Erick, who I have yet to meet, but I understand he was by Nick's side every day.

When I was referring to Scott being Nick's partner it was that they were in business together. I was unaware of any romantic involvement they may have had.

In Australia I often talk about my partner, but he is the other guy I am in business with. However I use several terms to describe my wife such as "The other half" "My better half" "She who must be obeyed" "The minister of finance" "The minister of war" or depending on the current state of the economy....Minister of finance & war!

#29 2 years ago

Nick was always good to me for parts when I needed. If anyone needs there machines repaired please contact me.

Thanks

2 weeks later
    #30 2 years ago

Too sad

3 weeks later
    #31 2 years ago

Incredibly sad news, very sorry to hear about Nick's passing. I have a tendency to disappear from the pinball community for months , sometimes years at a time, so I just found out today when calling Planet 9.
    I met Nick a few years ago, he sold me a Deadpool Pro, which he delivered, all the way from Vegas to Santa Clarita, CA, unboxed it, set it up in my upstairs gameroom, navigating an extremely narrow stairway. Didn't charge me a dime. We talked pinball for a little bit, and he put the first play on my new machine with me.
    A real class act, and a true gentleman. A wonderful guy, he will be missed.

#32 2 years ago

Rest in peace; my condolences to his friends and family. F*ck cancer.

4 weeks later
    #33 2 years ago

RIP Nick. You will be missed.

1 week later
    #34 2 years ago

Just found out today the reason why he wasn’t returning my service call was due to his passing. 8 years of wonderful service. Always on time, I never felt ripped off when he repaired my whirlwind, scarred stiff (create door). He always replaced things and did upgrades just because he had extras. He got to meet my wife and 1 and 7 year old and was always very kind. He even allowed me to come to his home and pick up some anti glare glass 4 months before his passing. He will truly be missed. I’m in shock my words can’t explain how much I looked up to him. Until we meet again Nick. -saddened

#35 2 years ago

I met Nick a few years ago and he became a good friend of mine. I’m still in shock by this. I talked to Nick daily and we had just gone to six flags a couple months before his passing. Nick seemed to be in good health the last time I had seen him and all of this seemed to happen quickly and out of nowhere. He was going to the gym daily and participating in boxing classes. RIP nick and you will be missed.

E3F4EB9D-A839-473E-8E50-2C8A59FCA998 (resized).jpegE3F4EB9D-A839-473E-8E50-2C8A59FCA998 (resized).jpeg
    #36 2 years ago
    Quoted from splitcms:

I met Nick a few years ago and he became a good friend of mine. I’m still in shock by this. I talked to Nick daily and we had just gone to six flags a couple months before his passing. Nick seemed to be in good health the last time I had seen him and all of this seemed to happen quickly and out of nowhere. He was going to the gym daily and participating in boxing classes. RIP nick and you will be missed.
    [quoted image]

I've known Nick a long time this is towards the end. Not a fan of this picture.

6 months later
    #37 1 year ago

Just thinking about my last call with Nick he was trying to put me on the Godzilla list and I told him I didn’t have any interest, but I heard a Kanada rumor about James Bond and I wanted to be number 1 on his LE list. Would have loved to set it up and play a few games with him.

4 months later
    #38 1 year ago

It’s been over a year since Nick’s passing, and I was even more saddened to see his incredible private collection of pinball machines slowly dissipate and get sold off in the past year. He had over 700 games.

The surviving family opted not to do a blitz auction/sale on Captain’s, but instead sold them off individually and in some groups to various businesses and collectors.

At present from what I’ve been told, all of his games are gone.

#39 1 year ago
    Quoted from prl867:

It’s been over a year since Nick’s passing, and I was even more saddened to see his incredible private collection of pinball machines slowly dissipate and get sold off in the past year. He had over 700 games.
    The surviving family opted not to do a blitz auction/sale on Captain’s, but instead sold them off individually and in some groups to various businesses and collectors.
    At present from what I’ve been told, all of his games are gone.

Sad. I wish I knew they we’re for sale. I Would have loved to have had one of his games.

#40 1 year ago

They were asking too much for a lot of players condition ones.

2 months later
    #41 1 year ago

Still think about Nick a lot, every time I walk up to my Godzilla LE which was the last game I bought from him. I once told him I was in the market for a Fish Tales and he told me about the one he had in his collection that was essentially brand new, never played in pristine condition. He sold it to me for below market value and if you knew Nick, you knew he rarely sold any of his personal games so this opportunity was an absolute honor and a demonstration of just how big of a heart he had. Miss ya Nick, hope your new collection is infinite.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/rip-nick-kovalevsky-planet-9-pinball and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.