Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 208 posts
  • 103 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by LukyDuck
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Resized_Screenshot_20200124-220741_Facebook.jpg
    C094ABEE-6BB6-4F34-B0EE-01408B1E0EE9.jpeg
    20200112_091205.jpg
    81580235_2616979495087609_6014057312325468160_o (resized).jpg
    3-Topic-of-the-Town (resized).jpg
    33B62439-0657-4567-8B79-CE8FD3155201 (resized).jpeg
    0FAE0DC1-FE57-4745-9FA4-DE99B1193A14 (resized).jpeg
    F88D7C63-897B-40AC-AEF1-4AC928810CE7 (resized).jpeg
    image (resized).jpg
    pasted_image (resized).jpeg
    IMG_20200110_152251627 (1) (resized).jpg
    B34B9883-F1EC-43B6-B279-71E0F4599CE2 (resized).jpeg
    Unknown (resized).jpg
    Kit (resized).jpg
    FA1FBB9A-7474-4EDE-8783-6C0B540CD33F (resized).jpeg
    There are 208 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 5.
    #101 4 years ago

Closer to the heart...literally.

#102 4 years ago
    Quoted from CUJO:

I consider Neil to be in the top 3 rock drummers of all time....

So does Danny Carey. And Neil had mad respect for him too...understandably.

#103 4 years ago
    Quoted from Methos:

This is the best song from their recent albums. Saw them do it live twice - it really was emotional and moving, as I knew it was their swan song.

Yeah, when the Garden came out I said the same thing. What a swang song.
    I have seen them over 25 times. Took my Daughter to the last two tours. She first saw them when she was 10. Even my sister-in-law caught the bug. Photo from the last time.

There is a reason why they have a cult following, and of course Neil was such an essential part.

Long live the Holy Triumvirate!
    pasted_image (resized).jpegpasted_image (resized).jpeg

#104 4 years ago

ALEXA... turn it the fuck up.

#105 4 years ago

Without a doubt, this has gotta be Spooky's next pin.

#106 4 years ago

Just listened to moving pictures and power windows at 11

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg
    #107 4 years ago
    Quoted from DrDQ:

I have seen them over 25 times. Took my Daughter to the last two tours. She first saw then when she was 10. Even my sister-in-law caught the bug. Photo from the last time.
    There is a reason why they have a cult following, and of course Neil was such an essential part.
    [quoted image]

I saw them 10 times, not as many as you!

What I will always remember of the last few tours on Neil's drumming is:

Secret Touch
    Animate
    Red Sector A
    Distant Early Warning
    Vital Signs

He killed these songs, especially the ends of DEW and VS. I concentrated on his performance only, and though his drum parts were basically the same as his studio tracks, the power and intensity that he gave on these songs were just incredible.

I will never forget how he ended the shows; stands up and waves to one side, and bows, repeats the same for the other side, does the center, and then runs off stage as fast as his feet will carry him.

#108 4 years ago

Crushed. No other musician’s passing has shocked me like this one. At least I was able to introduce my sons to their amazing music and bring them to a couple of live shows - they are just as upset as I am.

#109 4 years ago

High neighbors I LIKE IT LOUD TOO

#110 4 years ago

I own a few of their unique albums. I still listen to them every week. I like all of their songs.

0FAE0DC1-FE57-4745-9FA4-DE99B1193A14 (resized).jpeg0FAE0DC1-FE57-4745-9FA4-DE99B1193A14 (resized).jpeg33B62439-0657-4567-8B79-CE8FD3155201 (resized).jpeg33B62439-0657-4567-8B79-CE8FD3155201 (resized).jpegF88D7C63-897B-40AC-AEF1-4AC928810CE7 (resized).jpegF88D7C63-897B-40AC-AEF1-4AC928810CE7 (resized).jpeg
    #111 4 years ago

This is a very sad day. God Bless Neil and his family.

It’s clear he and the band touched so many people on such a personal level.

It’s amazing to see how many here had such a connection.

#112 4 years ago

RIP to the best I ever saw. Signals tour at Nassau Coliseum in early 1980's. Incredible.

#113 4 years ago

I have seen Rush live more than any other rock band, and the mysterious thing is, they are also the band I have only ever bought one ticket for and even that has a story. I have so many good Rush memories, it's hard to believe he is gone. RIP Neil.

Now as to why I never had to pay to see Rush, I have had so many Rush fans in the family and my friends over the years, that when they buy Rush tickets, THEY BUY RUSH TICKETS. I was never anyones first pick for an extra ticket, but you never had to ask me twice if you had an extra. Now mind you, people always knew if I was coming, a party was coming with me, that and I always offered to pay for the ticket, but nobody every asked me to, either beforehand or afterwards, so I guess everyone had a great time. But the time I DID have to pay for a ticket, (Jennifer!) was my sister had an extra ticket for me and I was meeting her at the arena parking lot before the show. Our seats where on the floor about 15 rows from the front, but her friends had her convinced if they didnt go in they were going to miss the beginning of the show... I get to the parking lot and no sister, no ticket, just her locked car. I find a scalper and buy the cheapest nose bleed seat he had and went inside where I had to convince the ticket checker lady at the floor that my sister, in the 15th row, had my ticket.

I was lucky an usher was walking by at the time and she told him to take me to the 15th row and return with me if my sister didnt have a ticket for me. Well I got to my seat and there is my sister fist pumping and screaming RUSH at the top of her lungs, she took one look at me and said "How did you get in, I got your ticket?" I said, I don't owe you for the ticket... I had to buy one to get in and this fine gentleman needs to see the real one... at which point she handed him the ticket, he shrugged his shoulders and left.

How many times have I seen them you ask?... Spirit of the Radio, Moving Pictures, Signals, Power Windows, Grace under Pressure, and Roll the Bones was my one with my sister, then there are ones I don't remember but all in all about 11 or 12 times with double shows thrown in and seeing them opening for other acts before they headlined, but those shows are the fuzziest in memory... wonder why?

#114 4 years ago

Very sad day

#116 4 years ago

What a shitty f’in day. Lost one of the great drummers of all time and will be missed big time. RIP.

#117 4 years ago

Heartbreaking news....first Rush concert, Signals Tour, Notre Dame ACC, $12.50 ticket. He played an “Exit, Stage Left” era solo. Jaw dropping stuff. Another hero gone. RIP Ghost Rider

#118 4 years ago
    Quoted from Gryszzz:

Who's wearing out all those Rush albums tonight?
    What's your favorite track?
    Without question, this is mine
    THE TREES

Just about impossible for me to say which is my favorite. My favorite is usually the one I am currently listening to. How many bands had this many masterpieces, most of which never got airtime. You could eliminate anything they did that was remotely popular and they would still have an enormous collection of great songs.

But in the end if I had to pick just one .....I’d have to go with Subdivisions.

#119 4 years ago

This hurts _bad_.

Sprawling on the fringes of the city
    In geometric order
    An insulated border
    In-between the bright lights
    And the far, unlit unknown

Growing up, it all seems so one-sided
    Opinions all provided
    The future pre-decided
    Detached and subdivided
    In the mass-production zone
    Nowhere is the dreamer
    Or the misfit so alone

(Subdivisions)
    In the high school halls
    In the shopping malls
    Conform or be cast out
    (Subdivisions)
    In the basement bars
    In the backs of cars
    Be cool or be cast out
    Any escape might help to smooth
    The unattractive truth
    But the suburbs have no charms to soothe
    The restless dreams of youth

Drawn like moths, we drift into the city
    The timeless old attraction
    Cruising for the action
    Lit up like a firefly
    Just to feel the living night

Some will sell their dreams for small desires
    Or lose the race to rats
    Get caught in ticking traps
    And start to dream of somewhere
    To relax their restless flight
    Somewhere out of a memory
    Of lighted streets on quiet nights

(Subdivisions)
    In the high school halls
    In the shopping malls
    Conform or be cast out
    (Subdivisions)
    In the basement bars
    In the backs of cars
    Be cool or be cast out
    Any escape might help to smooth
    The unattractive truth
    But the suburbs have no charms to soothe
    The restless dreams of youth

RIP Neil. You will live forever in my heart.

#120 4 years ago

Anytime there is a poll or question about favorite Rock song, Tom Sawyer immediately pops into my head, but then I think of Limelight, Subdivisions, Time Stand Still and I just can't choose. First heard Rush while working in a record store, up until then I had only listened to AM radio,( talking late 70's here), we got a demo to play of Hemispheres and shortly after I was hooked!!

Very sad loss to music, RIP.

#121 4 years ago
    Quoted from Gryszzz:

THE TREES

Subdivisions!

#122 4 years ago
    Quoted from DrDQ:

I have seen them over 25 times. Took my Daughter to the last two tours. She first saw them when she was 10. Even my sister-in-law caught the bug. Photo from the last time.
    [quoted image]

That photo makes me really really happy, nice work

#123 4 years ago

Pretty sure my favorite song is “Dreamline” from Roll the Bones. Possibly their weakest album but that song is a masterpiece. Perfectly captures Neil’s general mood of hopeful melancholy, and like many of his songs, reminds us of the tiny flash of time we have on this earth.

The chorus has always put a lightning rod through my heart:

“ When we are young
    Wandering the face of the earth
    Wondering what our dreams might be worth
    Learning that we're only immortal
    For a limited time”

—-

He's got a road map of Jupiter
    A radar fix on the stars
    All along the highway
    She's got a liquid-crystal compass
    A picture book of the rivers
    Under the Sahara

They travel in the time of the prophets
    On a desert highway straight to the heart of the sun
    Like lovers and heroes, and the restless part of everyone
    We're only at home when we're on the run
    On the run

He's got a star map of Hollywood
    A list of cheap motels
    All along the freeway
    She's got a sister out in Vegas
    The promise of a decent job
    Far away from her hometown

They travel on the road to redemption
    A highway out of yesterday, that tomorrow will bring
    Like lovers and heroes, birds in the last days of spring
    We're only at home when we're on the wing
    On the wing

When we are young
    Wandering the face of the earth
    Wondering what our dreams might be worth
    Learning that we're only immortal
    For a limited time

Time is a gypsy caravan
    Steals away in the night
    To leave you stranded in dreamland
    Distance is a long-range filter
    Memory a flickering light
    Left behind in the heartland
    We travel in the dark of the new moon
    A starry highway traced on the map of the sky
    Like lovers and heroes, lonely as the eagle's cry
    We're only at home when we're on the fly
    On the fly
    We travel on the road to adventure
    On a desert highway straight to the heart of the sun
    Like lovers and heroes, and the restless part of everyone
    We're only at home when we're on the run
    On the run

#124 4 years ago
    Quoted from Gryszzz:

THE TREES

Can't pick a favorite, but last night it was:
    Caress of Steel
    Permanent Waves
    Farewell to Kings
    Hemispheres.

#125 4 years ago

When I was young in Michigan in 1982, there was this kid in my neighborhood who played drums. He played to rush in his basement. Me and my buddy would head over there completely high. We would knock on the door and Jim o would say "jam time".

We would head downstairs where he would mirror Peart for Hours.

My favorite is red barchetta.

I reached out and found the guy on Facebook to reconnect.

"To far outside the wire where my white haired uncle waits..."

#126 4 years ago
    3-Topic-of-the-Town (resized).jpg3-Topic-of-the-Town (resized).jpg
    #127 4 years ago

Sad to hear Neil lost his battle with Giloblastoma. My father in law only lasted 6 mo after he was diagnosed. Terrible disease.
    My son and I were lucky enough to see him on their last tour. I have tried to be a good parent and raise my son in a musically appropriate way. Over the years we have seen the Stones, Who, Clapton, Dylan, Metallica to name a few. I never thought we would see anything better in concert than The Who playing Baba O Riley until we saw a Neil Peart drum solo live!

#128 4 years ago

Rush was part of the soundtrack of my youth.
    Thank you to Geddy, Alex And Neil for that.
    And truly one of the best live shows I have ever seen.

#129 4 years ago
    Quoted from Gryszzz:

THE TREES

You are so right. One of my favorite songs. Closer to the Heart a close second.

#130 4 years ago

One of many favorites:

When the ebbing tide retreats
    Along the rocky shoreline
    It leaves a trail of tidal pools
    In a short-lived galaxy
    Each microcosmic planet
    A complete society
    A simple kind mirror
    To reflect upon our own
    All the busy little creatures
    Chasing out their destinies
    Living in their pools
    They soon forget about the sea

#131 4 years ago

Another personal favorite Rush track, I just love the vibe in this one...

#132 4 years ago
    Quoted from Gryszzz:

Fly by Night

#133 4 years ago
    Quoted from RCA1:

Fly by Night

Damn, they all look so young.
    Was it really that long ago?

#134 4 years ago

A band that toured a lot. Only saw them once and it was a great show. Very sad day for true Rush fans.

#135 4 years ago

please, jersey jack..... put gnr on the back burner and give us a rush pin. I know of 135 people posting ready to buy right now!

#136 4 years ago

Stolen from RTP...but very fitting

81580235_2616979495087609_6014057312325468160_o (resized).jpg81580235_2616979495087609_6014057312325468160_o (resized).jpg
    #137 4 years ago

Very sad for sure RIP Neil

#138 4 years ago

I just watched the Rush documentary on Netflix last week. Really good show. RIP Neil Peart

#139 4 years ago

These guys are like gods to us.
    When they pass, it really hurts.
    It's like part of us has died with them.
    The only consolation is that their artistic contributions will live on long after we're gone. The list gets longer and longer all the time. It's part of life and aging. Our idols fall, but for whom does the bell toll.
    Play it LOUD, and celebrate his life!

#140 4 years ago

Subdivisions is such a lyrical masterpiece.
    One of the reasons I've always loved them. They weren't just top notch musicians, they were also masters at songwriting.
    They were also the least pretentious of the prog rock bands. They were approachable, like listening to your buddies band.
    Last night I didn't listen to anything else. Here goes night number two

#141 4 years ago

I love listening to this. First time Tom Sawyer was ever played live and you hear slight differences from the studio version. The people in the audience didn't really have a clue how monumental this song would become.

#142 4 years ago

I'm old enough to say my 1st experience with Rush was hearing Tom Sawyer on the radio. And I distinctly remember being blown TF away.
    One of those moments.

#143 4 years ago

One of my band students asked me a couple of weeks ago if I would do the talent show with him playing "Tom Sawyer" later this spring. Hell yes I will.. Now to find our drummer... shit lol

#144 4 years ago

It's probably Cliche but, Tom Sawyer will probably always be my favorite Rush song. I remember my Dad blasting that in the Camaro when I was a little guy and I couldn't handle any of it. The guitar, bass, drums, and vocals blew my mind. I just knew that I was a music "nerd" at that moment. Sabbath, GnR, Metallica, SRV, CCR, all had their place but Rush was different.

#145 4 years ago

I was so shook up hearing the news yesterday that I couldn't listen to anything. In general, I am reluctant to answer the question of who is my favorite band. It depends on mood. But based on the metric of who I've seen the most times in concert, Rush is apparently my favorite band by a very, very large margin. I saw the original lineup of Van Halen five times. They tied with Pantera for second place (discounting local/regional acts). But I've seen Rush many, many multiples of that. I've lost track of how many. The last time I saw them was the Clockwork Angels tour (their last studio album). I bought a VIP package for it, and although expensive, I am glad to have had that experience.

So, tonight, after working in the yard all day, I decided to play some pinball, sip some bourbon, and jam out on Rush. The first Rush album I purchased was Caress of Steel. So, there was a time that this was the only Rush album I owned. I played it so much that I will know every beat, lick, and lyric forever. It was that and Hemispheres, because you know, La Villa Strangiato. This was the song that they so wanted to record in a single take, but realized that they had written beyond their ability to play. It took three takes to get it all on tape.

Here's to the "new guy”!

#146 4 years ago

Heard Rush playing at various times in the stadiums during both playoff games today. Cool to see the teams (or at least the tech who controls the music) giving Rush some love.

#147 4 years ago
    Quoted from Colsond3:

Heard Rush playing at various times in the stadiums during both playoff games today. Cool to see the teams (or at least the tech who controls the music) giving Rush some love.

Watching nfl good morning football and as they're going to a commercial panning around the studio i spotted this

20200112_091205.jpg20200112_091205.jpg
    #148 4 years ago

Being a drummer of 36 years and a huge Neil peart and Rush fan, this has hit me very hard, the music community and others around me!like them or not they musical geniuses that might be the most influential band of all time especially Neil peart to the drumming community! And to top it of he wrote all the lyrics!
    I mentioned in another thread how much of a huge seller a Rush pinball machine would be .
    If done correctly, I still believe it would be the most sold music pin due to the fan base, ages of the fanbase and available funds from this fanbase.
    Here is a list of all the times I’ve been blessed to see this band. I’ve also met Geddy Lee.
    So cool

In Philadelphia area.....

Rush concerts (23 total)

2-Signals dec 13,14 1982 spectrum

2-grace under pressure nov 5,6 1984 spectrum

2-power windows april 14,16 1986 spectrum

2- hold your fire dec13,14 1987 spectrum

2-presto april 24,27 1990 spectrum

2-roll the bones dec 1,3 1991 spectrum

2-counterparts april 29,30 1994 spectrum

1-test for echo June 22 1997 Camden nj blockbuster /Sony E center (had gig during first time through at core states ! Missed that show!)

2- vapor trails July 14 2002 Camden nj tweeter center

Oct 27 2002 phila first Union center
    1-R30 aug 4 2004 Camden nj tweeter center

1- snakes and arrows July 6 2007 Camden nj tweeter center

2-time machine July 21 2010 Camden nj Susquehanna bank center
    Aug 31 2010 Allentown pa Allentown fair

1 -clock work Angels sept 9 2012 Bristow va jiffy lube center
    (Had a gig during the phila date)

1-R40 June 25 2015 Wells Fargo center phila
    (Final tour 6th row dead center)

#149 4 years ago
    Quoted from J-drum11:

available funds from this fanbase.

This is beyond true. Also, the timing is great. Not to cash in on Pearts death but to celebrate him. A legend.

I know a guy Who went to see atleast fifty rush shows In the last few tours.

There is no question he would buy a rush pinball.

#150 4 years ago

It goes without saying I would probably buy one myself.

There are 208 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 5.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/rip-neil-pert/page/3?hl=geddy2112 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.