Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 226 posts
  • 93 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by etien
  • Topic is favorited by 7 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

D8C13520-5590-40F6-B3EA-1CFFB8814883 (resized).jpeg
    23FEED7D-B997-4A38-99CC-4FEC257ED104 (resized).jpeg
    1028076E-98B4-432F-A002-9FDECA676EB7 (resized).jpeg
    2D4DED2B-2BDA-45D8-B9A3-E97B121EB04A (resized).jpeg
    black (resized).jpeg
    974F56DE-F42B-4604-B6CE-F81957A612FF (resized).jpeg
    B1ED2BD0-27A5-435C-857D-EA53ABFF3AE7 (resized).jpeg
    tenor.gif
    AB9D44BE-2EB7-48EF-A77B-67C55C9E33CF (resized).png
    2B8BAB00-57AF-4161-AF60-2B0C43A6FBA3 (resized).jpeg
    C9BBD2E9-3BCF-49CD-AFAF-17DBBA2D60F6 (resized).jpeg
    354AE5E1-E6B6-4815-88C7-3A6E1B0EEE40 (resized).jpeg
    200.gif
    C81C9051-94A4-4192-8E8A-875A0AAFDC3D (resized).jpeg
    D8065BC0-D666-490D-8434-3EE059FB9D1A (resized).jpeg
    BF775ABD-F3BB-4E03-9F52-93E053F092D2 (resized).jpeg
    There are 226 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 5.
    #1 3 years ago

Another one bites the dust. That’s several this week.

Sorry to hear it the place was a fixture and proved me wrong I didn’t think they’d last a year but they figured out a way to make it work.

#2 3 years ago

Sad news. Sorry to hear another location closing.

LTG : (

#3 3 years ago

That sucks.
    I normally do a trade show in NYC every January and hit that place up once or twice a trip in the evening after I get done with the show.
    Sign of the time I suppose, but sucks none the less.

#4 3 years ago

That sucks. Thoughts are with the staff and customers. It's a tough time right now, that's for sure. I always thought this place was cool and just recommended it to a buddy heading up to NYC for school. Bummer.

#5 3 years ago

Wow.. so many arcades and small businesses in general are closing. Unfortunately this is just the start of the small business downturn due to this horrible year so far. So sad and I hope something changes or can be done very soon to save the ones left.

#6 3 years ago

Heard the bad news ... really enjoyed that place , it re-ignited my love for pinball .
    Sad day for NYC pinball .

#7 3 years ago

Picked up this shirt a couple years ago.
    Sigh

0E145889-4F35-4B9F-8CCE-416CDACA78B4 (resized).jpeg0E145889-4F35-4B9F-8CCE-416CDACA78B4 (resized).jpeg3BAADFD8-F29A-4948-8A14-CCB885197B4B (resized).jpeg3BAADFD8-F29A-4948-8A14-CCB885197B4B (resized).jpeg
    #8 3 years ago

I searched out Modern Pinball through learning about it on Pinside when visiting there in 2016.
    Well maintained machines and a great variety.
    Sorry to hear that news.

Hope Sunshine is copping ok.
    Visited that one too.

#9 3 years ago

Modern Pinball NYC website says temporary... is it otherwise?

#10 3 years ago
    Quoted from PinFun:

Modern Pinball NYC website says temporary... is it otherwise?

Pins are all for sale according to a post I saw on FB

#11 3 years ago

That is really unfortunate, I hope we can get this behind us. Really starting to get concerned about how the pinball manufacturers are going to survive long term if things do not correct themselves in the near future. I wish the proprietors of Modern the best of luck with their future endeavors.

#12 3 years ago

We just lost 2 major locations in Mass too - 1 inner city place with pristine newer games - 1 in Turner falls with great conditioned "all generations" titles.
    This beyond blows.

More private collectors....

#13 3 years ago

I wasn’t aware Turners Fall closed. Just saw the post for Flattop Johnnys. Both were on the list to visit. It really Is a shame.

#14 3 years ago

Bummer, I always really liked going there any time I was in the city. Great spot. I used to go in and absolutely obsess over Funhouse for hours until the wee hours of the morning. Actually the last place I played on location before lockdown!

Yes, Mystic closed in Turners Falls too, which is so so so so so sad to me. Mystic had one of the most impressively curated selection of games, all in unbelievably good shape.

#15 3 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Another one bites the dust. That’s several this week.
    Sorry to hear it the place was a fixture and proved me wrong I didn’t think they’d last a year but they figured out a way to make it work.

In Memoriam..

45B37B0A-3599-4987-AB56-41AAC4C6281A (resized).jpeg45B37B0A-3599-4987-AB56-41AAC4C6281A (resized).jpeg
    #16 3 years ago
    Quoted from Nhpolarbear:

I wasn’t aware Turners Fall closed. Just saw the post for Flattop Johnnys. Both were on the list to visit. It really Is a shame.

Man that sucks!

Flattop Johnny's, VS, and Roxy's kept me going for my 6 months in Boston this past fall/winter

#17 3 years ago

Not sure How I feel about Modern Pinball but for Pinball on location in general its sad. Here is a

Blast from the past

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-failed-today-modern-pinball-machine-fails

#18 3 years ago

Sad and tough times. Very little consideration given to the voices of small businesses this year.

Won’t having choices in the future be fun?

#19 3 years ago

It’s sad how much this experiment is costing us all...

#20 3 years ago

RE: small businesses
    To quote a recent, former President...”we are going to oversee the greatest transfer of wealth in the history of human civilization”

#21 3 years ago
    Quoted from RandomGuyOffCL:

It’s sad how much this experiment is costing us all...

If by experiment you mean "letting a global pandemic ravage the country without doing a damned thing to actually help or protect people, just to see what happens" yea it is sad.

#22 3 years ago

I doubt I'll be back in NYC until a vaccine is available. And it sucks, but there isn't anything I can do about it. That's just the reality of my life now. It is a massive bummer that I won't be able to go back to Modern when I do get back there. I enjoyed playing there because they always did a decent job of keeping the machines in playable condition (a tough thing to do with machines that gets so much play).

This is going to happen a LOT over the next 6 months. Businesses that depend on customers walking in the door will be getting hammered. I used to just zip down to NYC for a couple nights. Hotel, travel, meals, tips, cabs, entertainment, shows. I never added up all the costs, but it was quite a bit of money going into the economy. That just isn't there now.

#23 3 years ago
    Quoted from radial_head:

If by experiment you mean "letting a global pandemic ravage the country without doing a damned thing to actually help or protect people, just to see what happens" yea it is sad.

Ya, they lost me at “bats from a wuhan meat market”

All I know is my dum dum friends who lost their fast food jobs are now making double from unemployment

And my smart smart friends who own businesses are losing it all

Very sad indeed

#24 3 years ago

Noooooo ! I never completed my Modern Pinball punch card !

#25 3 years ago

The what failed today thread was awesome. RIP.

#26 3 years ago

This virus has completely destroyed many of the small businesses across the country, add the businesses that were burned, looted, or just vandalized and it is sad indeed.

#27 3 years ago
    Quoted from RWH:

This virus has completely destroyed many of the small businesses across the country, add the businesses that were burned, looted, or just vandalized and it is sad indeed.

And as time goes by. The trend will continue. As money from the government runs out. Businesses running at less capacity. A lot of people just aren't going out for entertainment like they used to. A grim future coming up.

Hard to imagine where we'll be at a year from now.

LTG : (

#28 3 years ago
    Quoted from RWH:

businesses that were burned, looted, or just vandalized

It’s horrific!

I read NYPD retirement filings have skyrocketed

Soon we will all have to be our own po-po’s

#29 3 years ago

Modern wasn’t burned, looted, or vandalized.

I’m not one to get bitchy about a thread I start but let’s keep it on topic please.

#30 3 years ago
    Quoted from radial_head:

You blame whomever you're referring to. I'll blame the shutdowns and the media.

#31 3 years ago

Pretty sad to hear this! My Daughter and I were able to visit last October. I enjoyed the place!

#32 3 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I’m not one to get bitchy about a thread I start but let’s keep it on topic please.

Ahem...you’ve derailed many a thread young man!

#33 3 years ago

When I think of all the people who had just started new businesses over the last couple years cause the economy was so good have now lost everything and in many cases literally everything it is enough to make you cry. Many will never recover and live on in poverty as a result.

#34 3 years ago
    Quoted from RandomGuyOffCL:

Ahem...you’ve derailed many a thread young man!

Fuck!!

Ok fine. But any deep dive into why modern is RIP certainly casts light on the embarrassing national failure that is our virus response and denial. That’s the actual cause here, not Antifa.

Damn just derailed my own thread!

Anyway, it indeed sucks ass. They are selling everything and have two weeks to do it, so interested parties should reach out to modern ASAP. They are on Facebook promoting the sales. Lots of primo titles.

#35 3 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Sorry Levi not meant to derail I was just saying all those things have ended many businesses like Modern.

#36 3 years ago

always sorry to hear anyplace closing for any reason..how many years were they open?

#37 3 years ago
    Quoted from belairjoe:

always sorry to hear anyplace closing for any reason..how many years were they open?

five or six years I believe? I was invited to participate early on when it was Al and Steve Epstein dreaming it up, and I didn't personally believe that this could be a successful venture with Midtown Manhattan rents. I was clearly wrong - that team, along with Steve Zahler and of course Eddie and Dahlia Cramer - were able to make the place a success and my hat goes off to all of them. It's a shame that team broke up for reasons documented elsewhere but they can all be proud of what they did. The place really raised pinball's profile in NYC and it certainly filtered down to me; I got lots of customers for pinball machines who had re-ignited or discovered pinball at Modern, and lots of NYC league and casual players came out of that place.

#38 3 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Fuck!!
    Ok fine. But any deep dive into why modern is RIP certainly casts light on the embarrassing national failure that is our virus response and denial. That’s the actual cause here, not Antifa.
    Damn just derailed my own thread!
    Anyway, it indeed sucks ass. They are selling everything and have two weeks to do it, so interested parties should reach out to modern ASAP. They are on Facebook promoting the sales. Lots of primo title.

It may help them out to copy and paste the price list here. Pinheads are nuts. If prices are fair they'll have no trouble.

#39 3 years ago
    Quoted from IdahoRealtor:

It may help them out to copy and paste the price list here. Pinheads are nuts. If prices are fair they'll have no trouble.

Check Facebook for Modern / Steve Zahler if anybody wants more info on this sale. You can also contact Steve through the Modern website, as well as see the game list. There's not a price list as of yet I think he's dealing with people individually.

https://www.modernpinballnyc.com/

#40 3 years ago

My local pin/barcade is open. Masks are required. I’m going try and go at least once a week.

#41 3 years ago

Ugh, that's heartbreaking. That's who I got my Star Trek Pro from a few weeks back... I loved a Modern Pinball NYC, brought my kids there a few times for some great evenings...

#42 3 years ago

Literally wearing a shirt from that place right now. Very sad news...

#44 3 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Levi don’t like his feathers ruffled....

951CF690-A841-4F08-83A4-E53B9B86C7CE (resized).jpeg951CF690-A841-4F08-83A4-E53B9B86C7CE (resized).jpeg
    #45 3 years ago

Back on topic everyone

ST (resized).pngST (resized).png
    #46 3 years ago

Very sad to hear about this. tough environment for brick and mortar business. You still have to pay rent and utilities with no income, not many can survive very long like that.

#47 3 years ago
    Quoted from Lermods:

Very sad to hear about this. tough environment for brick and mortar business. You still have to pay rent and utilities with no income, not many can survive very long like that.

Yes very sad, considering how great a business this must have been to make it one of the highest rent districts in the world, my hat is off to the owners and employees. With all the times , I have gone into the city over the last few years, I am also sorry to never have visited what must be a super place. I wish the owners and employees ( and Others all in similar circumstances) , the best going forward.

#48 3 years ago
    Quoted from Kiwipinhead:

Back on topic everyone
    [quoted image]

I see what you did there.

#49 3 years ago

I was hoping I might be able to pick up one of the pins there, but most of the prices are all a little too rich for me to make the trip.

I gotta say I love a good freeplay location. Really helps me learn on a game. Allows me to make mistakes. Figure shots out. I will miss Modern a lot.

#50 3 years ago
    Quoted from Eddie:

Not sure How I feel about Modern Pinball but for Pinball on location in general its sad. Here is a
    Blast from the past
    https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-failed-today-modern-pinball-machine-fails

Thanks for posting this!! It let me take a trip through history and see how you managed to keep this Trek pin alive through some pretty crazy conditions... My thanks (for everything, really)!

There are 226 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 5.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/rip-modern-nyc?hl=pinlink and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.