Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 226 posts
  • 93 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by etien
  • Topic is favorited by 7 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

D8C13520-5590-40F6-B3EA-1CFFB8814883 (resized).jpeg
    23FEED7D-B997-4A38-99CC-4FEC257ED104 (resized).jpeg
    1028076E-98B4-432F-A002-9FDECA676EB7 (resized).jpeg
    2D4DED2B-2BDA-45D8-B9A3-E97B121EB04A (resized).jpeg
    black (resized).jpeg
    974F56DE-F42B-4604-B6CE-F81957A612FF (resized).jpeg
    B1ED2BD0-27A5-435C-857D-EA53ABFF3AE7 (resized).jpeg
    tenor.gif
    AB9D44BE-2EB7-48EF-A77B-67C55C9E33CF (resized).png
    2B8BAB00-57AF-4161-AF60-2B0C43A6FBA3 (resized).jpeg
    C9BBD2E9-3BCF-49CD-AFAF-17DBBA2D60F6 (resized).jpeg
    354AE5E1-E6B6-4815-88C7-3A6E1B0EEE40 (resized).jpeg
    200.gif
    C81C9051-94A4-4192-8E8A-875A0AAFDC3D (resized).jpeg
    D8065BC0-D666-490D-8434-3EE059FB9D1A (resized).jpeg
    BF775ABD-F3BB-4E03-9F52-93E053F092D2 (resized).jpeg

There are 226 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 5.
    #151 3 years ago
    Quoted from belairjoe:

how much were these guys paying for their lease? not asking for exact number but what is the cost to lease a small store front ?

$9000 Monthly when it first opened. I believe it then went up.

#152 3 years ago

He used a knife, man. Try to keep up.

#153 3 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

Really odd how many snowflake racists are on this site. They are bigots but have taken to using code words for their racism because they are too afraid to say what they actually believe out loud.

And they're easy to spot when they downvote posts calling them out

#154 3 years ago

Totally uncalled for but typical from you and your up voters. I wouldn't expect anything less. It says a lot about the whole group.

And if you are calling me in particular a racist you can go F yourself Hilton!!!!

Moderating that post is not enough. It needs to be removed and wiped out. There is no place for that kind of crap on here.

What a bunch of cowards.

#155 3 years ago
    Quoted from metallik:

And they're easy to spot when they downvote posts calling them out

Since you obviously have nothing of value to contribute to Pinside other than this BS you could at least donate.

Yep, easy to spot isn't it

#156 3 years ago

Who me?

If so, then we might as well get rid of this one too...Might be construed as racist against whites

AB9D44BE-2EB7-48EF-A77B-67C55C9E33CF (resized).pngAB9D44BE-2EB7-48EF-A77B-67C55C9E33CF (resized).png

#157 3 years ago

I always enjoyed Modern and sad to see it go. However I could barely ever get friends to go there with me. I really like a flat fee and machines set for free play. The other really good NYC spot (I Hope is still open) sets their pitch way too high to increase turnover. I played Pirates at that coin based place and liked it, but when playing it another place that had the pitch set correctly, I enjoyed it much more.

And as far as Covid, If every state had done as NYC did, we’d be over it and back closer to normal by now.

#158 3 years ago
    Quoted from iceman44:

And if you are calling me in particular a racist you can go F yourself Hilton!!!!

Moderating that post is not enough. It needs to be removed and wiped out. There is no place for that kind of crap on here

The more defensive you get, the more obvious it is.

Quoted from iceman44:

Since you obviously have nothing of value to contribute to Pinside other than this BS you could at least donate

And here's the deflection... LOL

#159 3 years ago
    Quoted from metallik:

The more defensive you get, the more obvious it is.

And here's the deflection... LOL

You are a total idiot. And now i'm flushing you down the ignore toilet along with the rest of you dumbasses.

#160 3 years ago
    Quoted from RandomGuyOffCL:

Who me?
    If so, then we might as well get rid of this one too...Might be construed as racist against whites
    [quoted image]

the way things are going im afraid everything will be advertised like a road runner cartoon..it will just say "ACME "

#161 3 years ago

Jesus, I get why the corona debate is raging in here but what does the retirement of a handful of racist images from national brand labeling have to do with a pinball venue folding? Has this devolved into yet another “airing of grievances” thread?

tenor.giftenor.gif
    #162 3 years ago

Not by me. Too many hidden posts to know what’s going on there. I don’t care what gets retired.

When you start calling me out as racist you better brush up on your libel laws

#163 3 years ago

I miss the days when the stupid on Pinside was just gluing action figures all over your pin and adding rainbow puke LEDs. Even arguing over those ridiculous stadium lights was smarter than the parroting of ridiculous "virus facts" I can't see to avoid from the cable news crowd.

I'm remembering why I took such a long break from this site.

#164 3 years ago
    Quoted from Aurich:

I miss the days when the stupid on Pinside was just gluing action figures all over your pin and adding rainbow puke LEDs.

I miss the days when the RIP Modern Pinball thread was about Modern Pinball closing. Feels like forever ago.

#165 3 years ago
    Quoted from Eddie:

That is surprisingly lower than I expected. In downtown sleepy Charlottesville, a storefront will run you $5K. But yeah at say $15 a head that’s a lot of people you have to have run thru to break even.

#166 3 years ago

#icehole44

#167 3 years ago

I think my son had the last birthday party here (dangerous in retrospect) on 3/8! What a great place! Covid is knocking no it so many small businesses. So sad...

B1ED2BD0-27A5-435C-857D-EA53ABFF3AE7 (resized).jpegB1ED2BD0-27A5-435C-857D-EA53ABFF3AE7 (resized).jpeg
    #168 3 years ago

Ok so now that the Banned Covid Crew Uncle Ben’s Fan Club has been thrown out of Yet another thread - until they resurface elsewhere for yet another brief and unwanted reunion tour - let’s get back to business....

Has anybody successfully made a deal on one of the modern games? Or come close?

I wonder how many have sold so far, or if prices are coming down to the realm of “reasonable.” Anybody?

#169 3 years ago
    Quoted from Eddie:

Seems like that was pretty cheap for the area, no?

#170 3 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Ok so now that the Banned Covid Crew has been thrown out of Yet another thread - until they resurface elsewhere for yet another brief reunion tour - let’s get back to business....
    I wonder how many have sold so far, or if prices are coming down to the realm of “reasonable.” Anybody?

Not me...I recall that Black Hole looked pretty clean, when it was killing me. Overpriced for sure, but wouldn't mind throwing a little higher price as I've always wanted one, maybe helps them a little, and a piece of history from the joint ( grew up in NY, relatives still in Queen's)

Where are they selling them?

#171 3 years ago
    Quoted from pookycade:

That is surprisingly lower than I expected. In downtown sleepy Charlottesville, a storefront will run you $5K. But yeah at say $15 a head that’s a lot of people you have to have run thru to break even.

Rumor was it was those birthday parties/corporate events that really paid the bills.

#172 3 years ago
    Quoted from MK6PIN:

Not me...I recall that Black Hole looked pretty clean, when it was killing me. Overpriced for sure, but wouldn't mind throwing a little higher price as I've always wanted one, maybe helps them a little, and a piece of history from the joint ( grew up in NY, relatives still in Queen's)

Just contact Zahler through the modern pinball web site or Facebook page

#173 3 years ago

Think it had to do with the lease ending more than the Pandemic

#174 3 years ago
    Quoted from bigehrl:

I miss the days when the RIP Modern Pinball thread was about Modern Pinball closing. Feels like forever ago.

I miss the days when an awesome place closed, and we were all sad together as a pinball community... Damn, still sad about it 5 years later.

#175 3 years ago

The Black Hole has major wear on the main playfield. Not worth anything close to the $3500 posted price.

#176 3 years ago
    Quoted from DaveH:

I miss the days when an awesome place closed, and we were all sad together as a pinball community... Damn, still sad about it 5 years later.

rip reciprocal

Owner was an asshole I hear...

#177 3 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Ok so now that the Banned Covid Crew Uncle Ben’s Fan Club has been thrown out of Yet another thread - until they resurface elsewhere for yet another brief and unwanted reunion tour - let’s get back to business....

I had only been going there for a few years whenever I was in town.
    That said, a lot of pins that were on the floor always had price tags on them, so they were “for sale” under normal circumstances.
    Yes the prices were high relative to other regions of the US, but I just chalked it up as being NYC pricing. Not to mention a lot of people in the city don’t have a vehicle and even if so certainly not a vehicle capable of hauling a pin.
    I had always assumed part of the service was they could help deliver it and set it up.

#178 3 years ago
    Quoted from Eddie:

I know New York is costly but holy cow $9000 a month . Unreal...

#179 3 years ago
    Quoted from chad:

I know New York is costly but holy cow $9000 a month . Unreal...

i thought the same..add insurance,electric.heat or air,cost of games and up keep and this must have been a big nut before any profit..give or take how many customers would you have to serve per month?..levi..any idea at all?

#180 3 years ago
    Quoted from Xtraball:

The Black Hole has major wear on the main playfield. Not worth anything close to the $3500 posted price.

Quoted from Xtraball:

Thanks for that...I wasn't looking too close, just enjoying the day... I'll see how he responds

#181 3 years ago
    974F56DE-F42B-4604-B6CE-F81957A612FF (resized).jpeg974F56DE-F42B-4604-B6CE-F81957A612FF (resized).jpeg
    #182 3 years ago
    Quoted from MK6PIN:

Funny, I was there on 3/1. I particularly remember how poor shape Black Hole was in. The lower playfield window is completely clouded and there was pretty intense upper playfield wear (which they all have to some degree but this was bad).

Funhouse I remember was pretty good (no scoop wear from what I remember) but it should be assumed that any game from that room should be seen as needing a good shop job.

Anybody who wants a Black Hole in better shape for $500 less with all new boards come see me in NH. (And I would still be getting more than my asking price).

#183 3 years ago
    Quoted from Xtraball:

black (resized).jpegblack (resized).jpeg

Cant see any dimples - whats the problem exactly?

#184 3 years ago

Is there any other Pinsider that causes as much of a sh*tfight as Whysnow ? Confusing how some hall of fame sh*tfight starting Pinsiders have been expelled yet others survive.

Is there a magic formula the mods use?

#185 3 years ago
    Quoted from cooked71:

Is there any other Pinsider that causes as much of a sh*tfight as whysnow ? Confusing how some hall of fame sh*tfight starting Pinsiders have been expelled yet others survive.
    Is there a magic formula the mods use?

no just regular dope like everybody else

#186 3 years ago
    Quoted from belairjoe:

no just regular dope like everybody else

Probably helps alot.

Edit: I'm not actually against sh*tfights - place would be pretty boring without them. I just want equality for all.

#187 3 years ago
    Quoted from belairjoe:

i thought the same..add insurance,electric.heat or air,cost of games and up keep and this must have been a big nut before any profit..give or take how many customers would you have to serve per month?..levi..any idea at all?

I guess 9 large pales in comparison to this.
    Hilarious. Uh oh , I'm posting off topic.

#188 3 years ago
    Quoted from Babarr3445:

I think my son had the last birthday party here (dangerous in retrospect) on 3/8!

I wouldn't beat yourself up over it. You made the best decision you could at the time with the information you had. Back then it things were just starting to emerge and we didn't have much info.

#189 3 years ago
    Quoted from Coindork:

but I just chalked it up as being NYC pricing

I would also add that noticeably, prices for products on the floor are always higher than they should be. Why sell something to somebody if it’s making you x-amount of dollar weekly. Standard business.

Often times I’ll have friends over to throw some ball and have a few drinks. If someone gets hooked on a machine of mine I consider a keeper and ask how much to buy it from me, I always answer with “enough for me to buy another with the profits”.

#190 3 years ago
    Quoted from cooked71:

Cant see any dimples - whats the problem exactly?

And there you are...it was in the back of the room, somewhat dark, and I was just happy to find one to play...it had been awhile.

My euphoria gave me an altered state of condition...I wasn't buying, so didn't really pay close attention...

#191 3 years ago
    Quoted from MK6PIN:

And there you are...it was in the back of the room, somewhat dark, and I was just happy to find one to play...it had been awhile.
    My euphoria gave me an altered state of condition...I wasn't buying, so didn't really pay close attention...

I think you missed the Aussie humor there

#192 3 years ago
    Quoted from Kiwipinhead:

I think you missed the Aussie humor there

Nah...laughing at myself...inserts were fine too..

#193 3 years ago

Why is it when all the guys that are active members of the Covid-19 thread come into a thread that they always turn it into a dumpster fire? Oh yeah I know why......never mind!

#194 3 years ago
    Quoted from Coindork:

I had only been going there for a few years whenever I was in town.
    That said, a lot of pins that were on the floor always had price tags on them, so they were “for sale” under normal circumstances.
    Yes the prices were high relative to other regions of the US, but I just chalked it up as being NYC pricing. Not to mention a lot of people in the city don’t have a vehicle and even if so certainly not a vehicle capable of hauling a pin.
    I had always assumed part of the service was they could help deliver it and set it up.

The point was not to sell games; they needed games on the floor for customers. So they’d put a ridiculous “can’t say no” price on a game and if it sold bonus. They sold very few games that way but when they did it was for a killing.

Lease running out in two weeks, everything must go....you would think it’s time to shift gears a little on that strategy.

Unless he has a basement or locker that will fit all that stuff.

#195 3 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

The point was not to sell games; they needed games on the floor for customers. So they’d put a ridiculous “can’t say no” price on a game and if it sold bonus. They sold very few games that way but when they did it was for a killing.

I have seen other game rooms do the same thing. I was like holy crap, this game is beat to crap and I can buy one NIB if I want to for less. (and I did, TWD pro).

#196 3 years ago

I Always assumed the very high prices on the machines “for sale” was priced for the off chance that a wealthy (or maybe just drunk) customer just had to have it and wanted the convenience of having a machine In working order just show up at their home or business without dealing with us looney pinball folks. That’s worth a premium!

#197 3 years ago
    Quoted from Vdrums:

I Always assumed the very high prices on the machines “for sale” was priced for the off chance that a wealthy (or maybe just drunk) customer just had to have it and wanted the convenience of having a machine In working order just show up at their home or business without dealing with us looney pinball folks. That’s worth a premium!

Just like a used car lot with high prices, but I'm sure you can haggle. Maybe not!

#198 3 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

rip reciprocal
    Owner was an asshole I hear...

my wife concurs. actually so do i, who am i kidding!?!

#199 3 years ago
    Quoted from Vdrums:

Look at every retail seller - they can't sell at the prices hobbyists (with zero overhead) sell to each other also run a brick and mortar business.

This has been the same of every pinball retailer ever... because it's a fact of running a storefront vs being a hobbyist.

In MPs case.. it was also a cover to make the business allowed in the licensing/zoning requirements. It was an 'interactive showroom' - not an arcade. But clearly that distinction was gamed hard...

#200 3 years ago

Modern helped get me into Pinball and I’m sure plenty of other people. Gonna miss it. Currently going through a similar situation with my work/employer.

2D4DED2B-2BDA-45D8-B9A3-E97B121EB04A (resized).jpeg2D4DED2B-2BDA-45D8-B9A3-E97B121EB04A (resized).jpeg
    There are 226 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 5.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/rip-modern-nyc/page/4?hl=pinlink and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.