Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 30 posts
  • 22 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 months ago by HFK
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

2120-mike_orig (resized).jpg
    rm (resized).jpg
    pasted_image (resized).png

#2 5 months ago

I enjoyed the Monkees TV Show. When I was younger My Brothers and Sisters and I would gather around and enjoy together.

#3 5 months ago

man such a shame, guess the only Monkee left is Mickey Dolenz. RIP Michael Nesbith.

#4 5 months ago
    Quoted from Jamesays:

I enjoyed the Monkees TV Show. When I was younger My Brothers and Sisters and I would gather around and enjoy together.

Same here. I always wanted the monkees gto!

#5 5 months ago

Too bad.
    The show was way too cheesy for my taste
    but did enjoy their music.

#6 5 months ago

Sad. I always liked his video “Elephant Parts”, especially the Godzilla bit.

#7 5 months ago

Very talented musician and songwriter. Sad to see so many of the 60’s musicians leaving us.

#8 5 months ago
    Quoted from Steve_in_Escalon:

Very talented musician and songwriter. Sad to see so many of the 60’s musicians leaving us.

Very sad as we have been losing some amazing talent, but we also have to remember to 60's was a very experimental generation and just maybe some of that is now coming back to haunt them. All in all still very sad, really enjoyed their campy humor and music.

#9 5 months ago

The only actual musician in the group. Which rankled him back then, but I think he got over it. I've listened to his '70s solo albums and they're and definitely talented, but not really my style (country singer/songwriter). I could gush about how groundbreaking and original their TV show and Head movie were, but this isn't my TED talk. RIP Mike!

#10 5 months ago

Jimi Hendrix toured as opening act for the Monkees.Wow stat

#11 5 months ago
    Quoted from Jamesays:

Jimi Hendrix toured as opening act for the Monkees.Wow stat

My wife saw that show in Greensboro, NC. She went for the Monkees, got a totally unexpected treat. She said that the audience was yelling for the Monkees at the end of the Hendrix set - buncha teeny-boppers that had no clue what they just saw....

She saw Sabbath in 1971 (a few years after) too. Good times. Wild Turkey and Sweathog warmed up.

We have a cat named Michael Nesmith - usually goes by 'Monkey'

#12 5 months ago

Heir to the Liquid Paper fortune. Then again, how many here know what Liquid paper is?

#13 5 months ago

Sad to hear about Michael Nesmith. Brings back a ton of childhood memories. I saw them in concert Nov 3 1969, with my two sisters. I know because my Sister and I were born on Halloween, a year apart, and we both asked for tickets to The Monkees concert, for our gifts.

It was a tough ticket to get as, believe or not, for a couple of years there The Monkees were as popular as any band, including the Beatles. Fortunately, my parents knew some of the higher ups at Arizona Veterans Memorial Coliseum and scored three tickets. My parents dropped us off at the front of the Coliseum and came back a couple hours later and picked us up. First concert ever...best two hours ever...even with all the pushing and shoving going on. What more could a 10 year old ask for his Birthday.

Thanks for the memories and RIP Michael, Davy, and Peter.

Tim

#14 5 months ago

SAD.
    My life for almost a year revolved around the Monkees!

pasted_image (resized).png
    #15 5 months ago

Played a big Gretsch Country Gent. Glen Campbell wrote a lot of their songs and played guitar on their albums. Still, once they learned they actually had some great songs. He should have ditched the "Toboggan" earlier.

#16 5 months ago

#17 5 months ago

Respect.

rm (resized).jpg
    #18 5 months ago
    Quoted from VALIS666:

The only actual musician in the group. Which rankled him back then, but I think he got over it. I've listened to his '70s solo albums and they're and definitely talented, but not really my style (country singer/songwriter). I could gush about how groundbreaking and original their TV show and Head movie were, but this isn't my TED talk. RIP Mike!

Actually that statement is not correct. Peter Tork was the more talented musician in the group.

Anyway it's time for Stern to make The Monkees pinball machine!!!

#19 5 months ago
    Quoted from phil-lee:

Played a big Gretsch Country Gent. Glen Campbell wrote a lot of their songs and played guitar on their albums. Still, once they learned they actually had some great songs. He should have ditched the "Toboggan" earlier.

Actually Glen Campbell was part of the Wrecking Crew. Session musicians that were used for recording records in the '60s for the top bands of the day. He never wrote any songs for the Monkees

Boyce and Heart, Neil Diamond, Neil Sedaka, Carole king, Mike Nesmith,
    We're the main contributors for the Monkees music.

#20 5 months ago
    2120-mike_orig (resized).jpg
    #21 5 months ago
    Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

SAD.
    My life for almost a year revolved around the Monkees![quoted image]

My sister had that lunchbox & Thermos.

#22 5 months ago
    Quoted from poppapin:

man such a shame, guess the only Monkee left is Mickey Dolenz.

Sad. Once Dolenz goes, Monkees will be extinct.

#23 5 months ago
    Quoted from teddyb73:

Actually Glen Campbell was part of the Wrecking Crew. Session musicians that were used for recording records in the '60s for the top bands of the day. He never wrote any songs for the Monkees
    Boyce and Heart, Neil Diamond, Neil Sedaka, Carole king, Mike Nesmith,
    We're the main contributors for the Monkees music.

You are correct, Niel Diamond was who I was thinking of. Thanks.
    I could swear Glen was brought in to play guitar on a couple of their early singles. Could be wrong.

#24 5 months ago

You are correct about him playing guitar for them on the first two monkee albums that Don Kirchner produced.

He just never wrote any songs for them.

#25 5 months ago

Ah, the Monkees. I remember as a kid, my neighbor friend's older brother actually gave me his 45 RPM single of "I'm a Believer". I was thrilled! But, I was primarily into the Beatles. My wife liked the Monkees. I remember being on the road when Davy Jones died, and I phoned her to tell her. He was her favorite,
    but she says her sister liked Mike Nesmith. R.I.P. Mike.

#26 5 months ago

Sort of touching how Mike, who for a long time was the band's own worst critic, towards the end embraced the fans' love of their music and allowed himself to feel it. Got a little choked up reading about it.

#27 5 months ago
    Quoted from DanQverymuch:Sort of touching how Mike, who for a long time was the band's own worst critic, towards the end embraced the fans' love of their music and allowed himself to feel it. Got a little choked up reading about it.

Way too late. He was always a pain in the ass from all accounts.

#28 5 months ago

Hey hey they’re the Monkee!

#29 5 months ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Hey hey they’re the Monkee!

Wouldn't it be 'Hey hey he's the Monkee'?

I really enjoyed the Monkees when I was a kid. Saw them a couple of times in the 80's and have seen Micky Dolenz a few times in the last few years. He always put on a good show. Never got to see Mike though.

Most people have never really listened to their albums when they started doing the music, some of it is truly brilliant.

#30 5 months ago

Actually, 'Hey hey I'm the Monkee'.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, become a Pinside+ member!