(Topic ID: 289915)

RIP Marvelous Marvin Hagler

By RWH

3 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
    hag (resized).jpg
    #1 3 years ago

Sadly lost another of the Great Boxing Legends of old. RIP Marvin you provided many hours of Friday Night Fights entertainment thrills and chills!

#2 3 years ago

Wow...he was pretty young, and he got out of the game without taking any serious beatings in his old age. I wonder what happened.

Great fighter responsible for some of the best fights of the 80s. RIP Marv!

#4 3 years ago

My favorite era of boxing. Hagler, Hearns, Leonard and Duran. There will probably never be another one like it.

#5 3 years ago
    Quoted from Jaybird815:

My favorite era of boxing. Hagler, Hearns, Leonard and Duran. There will probably never be another one like it.

Even the second-stringers were top notch...Paz, Boom Boom, Arguello, Czyz...kind of like the 90s heavyweight scene.

I kinda lost touch with boxing after that but still check in from time to time.

#6 3 years ago

Maybe add "Hagler" to the thread title?

Just to save any momentary confusion and alarm when silly people like me assume you are going to tell us that Marvin's Marvelous Mechanical Museum is closing! I haven't made it over there yet!

Be fair, that would have fit in with the website, anyway.

I will forgo my opinion of "the sweet science."

Still, RIP Mr. Hagler.

#7 3 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Paz, Boom Boom, Arguello, Czyz

Pipino Cuevas, the fight between him and Duran was epic. Thomas Hitman Hearns was another great fight for Cuevas the welter weights were the best of boxing during that time. I watch boxing a lot still and honestly there are some very good young fighters starting to lead a boxing a come back on TV.

#8 3 years ago

One of the greatest middleweights of all time. Never got knocked out, had a chin of iron. Mercilessly picked his opponents apart and broke them down through complete and utter beatings. He was one tough SOB.
    RIP Marvin

#9 3 years ago

ONE OF THE GREATEST BOXERS IN HISTORY NO DOUBT ABOUT IT. DURING THE BEST GENERATION OF MIDDLEWEIGHTS HE WAS THE BEST OF THE BEST.

#10 3 years ago

My favorite boxer growing up. I was so angry when he lost to Sugar Ray and if I remember right, was basically his last fight because I never heard anything more from him after that night. RIP Marvelous Marvin Hagler.

#11 3 years ago
    Quoted from Lethal_Inc:

My favorite boxer growing up. I was so angry when he lost to Sugar Ray and if I remember right, was basically his last fight because I never heard anything more from him after that night. RIP Marvelous Marvin Hagler.

Marv indeed walked away from boxing after that fight. He moved to Italy and made low-budget action movies.

I've seen it and scored it and Sugar Ray won. No he didn't brawl but he got it done, stealing rounds at the end and avoiding getting slugged. He played it smart and he shocked the world and put Marv out to pasture!

#12 3 years ago
    Quoted from RWH:

Pipino Cuevas, the fight between him and Duran was epic. Thomas Hitman Hearns was another great fight for Cuevas the welter weights were the best of boxing during that time. I watch boxing a lot still and honestly there are some very good young fighters starting to lead a boxing a come back on TV.

Did you watch Benavidez vs Ellis last night Russ? The amount of punches Benavidez was throwing was nuts.

#13 3 years ago

Oh no

#14 3 years ago

Sad to hear about this.

Growing up in Detroit, I was a HUGE Thomas Hearns fan. Tommy's fight against Marvin is still spoken about with reverence around here, and our guy LOST. Hagler was a beast and a legend. Such an amazing fighter.

I offer to you what is arguably the greatest single round in boxing history. Two absolute maulers standing toe to toe, throwing bombs like confetti in New Years Eve. Somewhere in that frantic first sixty seconds, Tommy actually broke his right hand on Marvin's head. This fight is still considered by many in the boxing world to be the greatest fight ever fought.

At the 2:40 mark, Tommy catches Marvin pretty good and you can actually hear Hagler exclaim "Aww" after the punch. Didn't matter. Tommy cut Marvin up pretty good early on and Hagler knew that if the fight went on too long it would be stopped. So, in the third round, after being checked by the ring doctor due to the significant amount of blood steaming from his face, Hagler bullied up and knocked Tommy out cold. He was an absolute beast and Tommy couldn't stand up to the punishment. It was breathtaking.

Marvelous Marvin Hagler - LEGEND. May he rest in peace!

#15 3 years ago

Marvin was my all time favorite fighter. From the opening bell, every step was forward in pursuit of his opponent. Glad that he retired when he did, before any significant injuries.

#16 3 years ago
    Quoted from beergut666:

Did you watch Benavidez vs Ellis last night Russ? The amount of punches Benavidez was throwing was nuts.

No I had to work but I do have it saved (taped) so I'll likely watch it come this weds. when I'm off. Boxing is picking up steam again and even the heavy weights have a few decent fighters that are just not power punchers but true boxers.

#17 3 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Even the second-stringers were top notch...Paz, Boom Boom, Arguello, Czyz...kind of like the 90s heavyweight scene.
    I kinda lost touch with boxing after that but still check in from time to time.

Who the hell ever mentions Bobby Czyz???

#18 3 years ago

Bobby Czyx..Cyzx...that guy was pretty good, I hadnt thought about him in years. I remember watching him on USA Tuesday night fight a bunch of times. He fought Holyfield in the 90s at heavyweight and lasted 5 rounds or so.

#19 3 years ago

Hagler was the last person I would want to be in a ring with. The best old school brawler of all time. Sugar Ray may have beat him in his dreams.

#20 3 years ago

I thought Marvin’s Marvolus closed,wow

#21 3 years ago
    Quoted from phil-lee:

Hagler was the last person I would want to be in a ring with. The best old school brawler of all time. Sugar Ray may have beat him in his dreams.

No I'm pretty sure it was no dream!

hag (resized).jpghag (resized).jpg
    #22 3 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

No I'm pretty sure it was no dream![quoted image]

One of the biggest boxing ripoffs of all time. Leonard lost that fight and it wasn't close.

#23 3 years ago

Hagler/Hearns was epic. Never leave it to the judges.

#24 3 years ago
    Quoted from SilverBallKid:

Sad to hear about this.
    Growing up in Detroit, I was a HUGE Thomas Hearns fan. Tommy's fight against Marvin is still spoken about with reverence around here, and our guy LOST. Hagler was a beast and a legend. Such an amazing fighter.
    I offer to you what is arguably the greatest single round in boxing history. Two absolute maulers standing toe to toe, throwing bombs like confetti in New Years Eve. Somewhere in that frantic first sixty seconds, Tommy actually broke his right hand on Marvin's head. This fight is still considered by many in the boxing world to be the greatest fight ever fought.
    At the 2:40 mark, Tommy catches Marvin pretty good and you can actually hear Hagler exclaim "Aww" after the punch. Didn't matter. Tommy cut Marvin up pretty good early on and Hagler knew that if the fight went on too long it would be stopped. So, in the third round, after being checked by the ring doctor due to the significant amount of blood steaming from his face, Hagler bullied up and knocked Tommy out cold. He was an absolute beast and Tommy couldn't stand up to the punishment. It was breathtaking.
    Marvelous Marvin Hagler - LEGEND. May he rest in peace!

An awesome Closed Circuit TeeVee event. Back when you had to go to an event center and pay $40.00 to see it live or wait a week or two and see it replayed on HBO. No pay per view at home in those days.

After the fight, a Detroit newspaper sportswriter coined a new nickname: Thomas "Hit Me" Hearns.

#25 3 years ago
    Quoted from rockrand:

Still open.

#26 3 years ago
    Quoted from MrBally:

An awesome Closed Circuit TeeVee event. Back when you had to go to an event center and pay $40.00 to see it live or wait a week or two and see it replayed on HBO. No pay per view at home in thpse days.
    After the fight, a Detroit newspaper sportswriter coined a new nickname: Thomas "Hit Me" Hearns.

It’s a fun fight to watch but the sweet science it is not!

#27 3 years ago
    Quoted from rockrand:

Yeah, OP thoughtfully refuses to add Hagler to the thread title as I suggested he might. Such a swell guy.

#28 3 years ago
    Quoted from DanQverymuch:

Yeah, OP thoughtfully refuses to add Hagler to the thread title as I suggested he might. Such a swell guy.

Surely, a person that gives semantics and grammar a lot of thought on internet message boards, can admit when he may be on the wrong side of semantics.

Marvin Hagler was referred to as "Marvelous" Marvin Hagler. The OP stated as much in his initial post.

Marvin's Marvelous Mechanical Museum clearly has the phrasing reversed-
    pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

Maybe it is you that is processing in a manner similar to typoglycemia?

Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn’t mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a toatl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe

#29 3 years ago

Yeah, yeah, yeah, I said "momentary confusion and alarm," and I was not the only one to initially misinterpret.

In most cases, his last name was invoked along with that appellation.

This is a pinball board, ya know. If someone says Marvelous Marvin, they are more likely to think of Marvin's than of some aged boxer, unless maybe they had already learned of his passing.

And guess what? If you google Marvelous Marvin, it even asks at the bottom of the page if you were looking for MMMM.

Deliberately not making such a reasonable fix is, like I said, real swell.

#30 3 years ago

I was on your side until this-

Quoted from DanQverymuch:

Deliberately not making such a reasonable fix is, like I said, real swell.

You have no idea what RWH's technical abilities are. He may not even know how to change a thread title. I don't think it is the greatest thing in the world to take small shots at someone, especially in a community where we should be helping each other. Maybe a different tact where you could show RWH how to change the thread title?

That all being said, I just assumed you took a walk around the block to cool down because RWH left the " 's " off of Marvin's, and when you came back and posted, you still had a little gas in the tank...... LOL

#31 3 years ago

I guarantee the vast majority knew exactly what he was talking about, and again the vast majority have no idea what the hell Marvins Marvelous Mechanical Museum is. I’ve never heard of it.

#32 3 years ago
    Quoted from Jaybird815:

I guarantee the vast majority knew exactly what he was talking about, and again the vast majority have no idea what the hell Marvins Marvelous Mechanical Museum is. I’ve never heard of it.

I momentarily thought of the pinball museum, but then remembered that Hagler had just died. That Hearns fight was and still is an awesome thing to behold. The Leonard fight was a snooze fest and I remember thinking that Hagler had thrown the fight. He looked nothing like the beast that finished his previous opponents. Leonard was all flash and had no power to hurt Hagler. I kept waiting for that one punch that never happened.

#33 3 years ago
    Quoted from vicjw66:

Leonard was all flash and had no power to hurt Hagler. I kept waiting for that one punch that never happened.

Sometimes that gets it done!

See the four years of Ali's second Championship reign!

#34 3 years ago

I can only assume those few (2) I think that got confused simply have not watched boxing but it is no big deal I will change it and hope that soothes your OCD problem.

#35 3 years ago

Growing up in Metro Detroit, of course we were rooting for the Hitman in "The War". Even though he lost, it remains a great memory of watching that fight with my late father. I remember watching Hagler/Leonard a couple of years later. My dad and I, who were squarely on the same side in the Hagler/Hearns fight were both pulling for Hagler in the Hagler/Leonard fight. My dad and I couldn't have been on more opposite ends of the spectrum when it came to the outcome, however. My dad was of the mindset that you can't dance your way to victory and said that Hagler was robbed. He was so mad when I insisted that Leonard boxed his match, using his speed and elusiveness and ability to always avoid the big shot that carried him to victory. Was it "boring" compared to Hagler/Leonard? Sure, if you think that boxing is just brawling. But if you view it as an art form as much as anything else, you can accept that Leonard bested Hagler on that day.

On a side note, Hearns and my cousin, Mickey Goodwin, came up through Kronk at the same time, both trained by Emmanuel Steward. Mickey was on the same trajectory as Hearns and was slated to fight Hagler himself until he broke his hand. He was never the same after that and faded into obscurity. He did manage a 40-2-1 career with no title bouts when all was said and done.

#36 3 years ago

I apologize for the "swell" thing. For all I knew he hadn't noticed my request.

As for the original request, it was not unreasonable, garnering six upvotes to one down. Marvin's is coin op Mecca! You have to go at least once in your life. I thought everyone knew.

Try googling Marvelous Marvin -Hagler (which means exclude Hagler).
    https://www.google.com/search?q=marvelous+marvin+-hagler

Thanks for changing it, despite my sarcasm. Us old timers can take only so many jolts. I knew you could figure out how, unlike some!

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/rip-marvelous-marvin?hl=greenandwhite and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.