5A10B76D-03E5-4E08-B226-C4D3382EA190 (resized).jpeg
C3CCD364-7920-4F2A-AC01-77C1EF9A7861 (resized).jpeg
149631C9-8B64-4775-8E13-0A98C77D9C75 (resized).jpeg
pasted_image (resized).png
index (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

5 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #581 Obituary & virtual memorial details Posted by ifpapinball (2 years ago)

Post #606 Hotline Posted by HooperTriplett (2 years ago)

Post #610 Make a difference Posted by LTG (2 years ago)

Post #635 Podcast with Lyman Posted by 27dnast (2 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Rarehero.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#84 2 years ago

I’m in shock…we were talking just the other day. I don’t even know what to say. He was a legend in this business & hobby. Ultra nice guy & a good friend. My heart breaks for Penni.

#124 2 years ago
Quoted from schudel5:

Josh really wanted to play Lyman on a game. There just so happened to be a HS2 right there so they started up a 2-player game.

I played Lyman’s own Getaway in his basement years ago - and somehow got 1st place score (not Grand Champ)…the batteries must had been changed recently

#176 2 years ago
Quoted from EalaDubhSidhe:

Lyman was the George Harrison of pinball. You had the Johns and Pauls as the designers, the face of the games, but it was Lyman, the George, that was the heart that made those games sing, that didn't get nearly enough credit, and who brought out the best in all the Ringos that also worked on the project.

Lyman was a HUUUUGE Rush fan - so I’d say he was the Neil Peart of pinball. Lyman’s unique “lyrics” and “beat” were what made his games special & stand out.

#180 2 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

I don't think we will ever see the likes of Lyman in this hobby again. His dedication to his craft was truly unrivaled. You would think a game of his was done, and then years later a code update would come out of nowhere just to tweak a few things that had always bothered him.

He would even tweak things on games that weren’t his! I was on the phone with him one day & brought up some sound bugs that were in Family Guy - and he was like “oh let me take a look at it”. I just imagine him scanning green lines like the Matrix…suddenly he’s like “oh, here’s the problem!” Tap tap tap tap “Ok I fixed it!”.

So, for anyone who’s enjoyed the bug fixes on the unreleased Family Guy “home rom”, thank Lyman for that!

#274 2 years ago
Quoted from rockrand:

I know it is not important but he was pretty young,was he sick?

Not that I knew of….but I often think of all the times I almost had some kind of accident while I was home by myself. I tried to fix my garage door once and almost decapitated myself when the tension spring detached and flew within a few inches of my face. I had a leak under my house the other day & I could have electrocuted myself trying to figure it out. I don’t know what happened, and ultimately it’s none of our business - but weird random things can happen to any of us.

#477 2 years ago
Quoted from check_switch_26:

Lyman was offered his choice of Twilight Zone, Creature from the Black Lagoon, or Dracula for his efforts. I was disappointed when he told me he chose CFTBL because he already had TAF, and "the games are so similar". (As I recall, he did eventually buy a TZ for his collection.)

Wow, we were just taking about those games a few weeks ago.

51A52B57-9233-48AF-B7B7-51B5EDA92D04 (resized).png51A52B57-9233-48AF-B7B7-51B5EDA92D04 (resized).png
Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#484 2 years ago
Quoted from cooked71:

Love reading how much he was as much a collector/hobbyist as well as a player and coder. It wasn’t just a job. Clearly he loved pinball as much as we do. Combined with his incredible talent for playing and coding, that’s what came through in his games. He wanted to create a game he would want to play.

Yeah, and he was really open to suggestions & would implement stuff if you asked nicely (and if he agreed with the ideas lol). I’m trying to remember which things I suggested that he implemented.

On Spider-Man, I asked if he could make the shaker FX sync with the DMD footage/sound of Sandman falling apart. Originally there was just a long rumble when you defeated him. Lyman liked the idea, so he put in the “boom..boom..BOOOOOOMMMM” shaker effect that’s in there now. I think he even put some flasher shows there, too - it’s been a while since I played, I forget.

On Metallica I had 2 requests. On the Prem/LE, sometimes the magnet is flakey & doesn’t sense the ball when you hit the captive ball. So, I asked if he could make it so captive ball hits count toward the next lock if the magnet doesn’t grab the ball. He put it in as an option. I also asked if he could add a ball save to the Crank It Up modes, as I got super pissed when I qualified CIU & then drained right away…he also put that in as an optional setting.

#491 2 years ago
Quoted from cooked71:

Both of those are almost game changers. I’m pretty sure on current code they’re default, not options. Thank you both.

Oh, yeah it might be the default, but I think you can change it back to the previous way if you want.

#524 2 years ago

I’ve been really sad this weekend. Thanks for sharing your thoughts & stories, everyone. I feel like we’ve got a good support group happening here.

#552 2 years ago
Quoted from dirkdiggler:

Wow, that's quite a list! Acdc, sttng and met are 3 of my all time favorite games. Only game I haven't played on his list of games is Avatar.

Avatar is very similar to Iron Man & Tron. He took these really simple games, but gave them some really excellent nuance and satisfying moments.

#555 2 years ago
Quoted from jellikit:

He asked if I wanted to checkout the collection. And there you have MB, AFM, RFM, MM, etc.

Did you notice the ramp flap on his MB in front of the Frank shot? Lyman had MB #1 off the line, and it was originally gonna have a ramp that lifts up (like RFM or Sega Goldeneye) so the ball would fly up and hit Frank. His machine has that ramp flap...but it was never coded, so it doesn't actually do anything. Still, so cool to actually see/play in person. He also has what I think is the only SAM version of Sopranos. He programmed it on Whitestar & SAM at the same time, but the game ultimately shipped with Whitestar.

#588 2 years ago
Quoted from Pinballer73:

As is always the case with mental illness and suicide, if only anyone and everyone could help change the mindset of the person suffering, would it have made a difference?

Unfortunately, that’s the “logical” way many of us look at things, but we don’t know and sometimes can’t even comprehend what’s going on in someone’s mind…you can’t “logic” someone out of mental illness or depression. I’m sure those he was closest to tried their best to help. He was loved & respected. My dad tried to end his life….thankfully he failed & we were able to get him the rehab & therapy he needed to make a change for the better. If anyone is having these feelings, please don’t be ashamed - reach out to your loved ones for help.

#654 2 years ago
Quoted from Mank:

That service was pretty damn sad.

I just had a good cry with you all...or a bad cry...I dunno...I feel like crap. Very heartwarming memorial, but I hate that this is reality. Hate it. This really makes it real...I'm sadder now than when I heard the news.

Peace & love, everyone.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Lighting - Backbox
Myth Pinball Parts Shop

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

7,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Ronkonkoma, NY
$ 19.99
Cabinet - Other
Bent Mods

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 5.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Fuzz

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 10,499.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 39.50
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Haus

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Van Alstyne, TX
$ 60.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Don's Pinball Swag Barn

10,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fort Lauderdale, FL
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Nashville, TN
$ 30.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 160.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Rarehero.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/rip-lyman?tu=Rarehero and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.