5A10B76D-03E5-4E08-B226-C4D3382EA190 (resized).jpeg
C3CCD364-7920-4F2A-AC01-77C1EF9A7861 (resized).jpeg
149631C9-8B64-4775-8E13-0A98C77D9C75 (resized).jpeg
pasted_image (resized).png
index (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

5 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #581 Obituary & virtual memorial details Posted by ifpapinball (2 years ago)

Post #606 Hotline Posted by HooperTriplett (2 years ago)

Post #610 Make a difference Posted by LTG (2 years ago)

Post #635 Podcast with Lyman Posted by 27dnast (2 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Pinballer73.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#300 2 years ago

Incredibly sad day and loss to us all in pinball. Sincere condolences to Penni, his family and his close friends. Reading through this thread really demonstrates how nice a guy he was. Taking time out to speak and play pinball with young people at shows speaks volumes about him as a person.

I own many of his games and now they all seems just that bit more special than they did yesterday. I remember agonisingly trying to decide whether of not to buy one of my 1st NIB games, Metallica LE it was. What if it's a dud, what if I don't like it.....then I read Lyman was coding it and all my concerns faded away.

RIP Lyman. I hope you passed due to natural causes and the black beast wasn't an influence.

#506 2 years ago
Quoted from unigroove:

RIP Lyman! The pinball industry and community owes you so much. We've lost a legend and a hero.
I remember the first time I played Lyman's Lament on Monster Bash. Couldn't stop laughing, such great call outs.

Please do a special edition of the Pinball Magazine featuring Lyman and his work, with interviews or stories from as many of his colleagues as possible. I'm sure it would be a fitting tribute and one that many people would like to own & read.

#586 2 years ago
Quoted from ifpapinball:

From Penni:
We will be having a virtual memorial for Lyman Sheats, Jr. on Friday, January 28th at approximately 11 am Central time.
Please join us at that time via this link: https://www.morizzofuneralhome.com/obituaries/Lyman-Sheats/#!/Obituary
The memorial will also be recorded for future viewing.

Oh wow, so incredibly sad, poor Lyman and family. As is always the case with mental illness and suicide, if only anyone and everyone could help change the mindset of the person suffering, would it have made a difference? Unfortunately we will never know.

Having known someone who did this exact thing, it worried me greatly that Lyman had similar issues, he seemed to have a very similar personality. If anyone reading this is struggling, please speak to your doctor, a close friend or family member, seek help, stay with us.

#590 2 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Unfortunately, that’s the “logical” way many of us look at things, but we don’t know and sometimes can’t even comprehend what’s going on in someone’s mind…you can’t “logic” someone out of mental illness or depression. I’m sure those he was closest to tried their best to help. He was loved & respected. My dad tried to end his life….thankfully he failed & we were able to get him the rehab & therapy he needed to make a change for the better. If anyone is having these feelings, please don’t be ashamed - reach out to your loved ones for help.

So very true. What others would say, do or think if told doesn't matter. It's the mindset of the person suffering that matters. For some, where a connection is made a breakthrough can occur and a recovery is possible. For others it ends in sadness. Apparently the sufferer feels a peace once they've made their choice and makes plans to end their life. It's just so incredibly sad for everone involved, including the person suffering.

#609 2 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

I'm so very sorry to hear that Lyman passed away by suicide and thank the family for mentioning it in the obituary. Far more attention needs to be brought to mental illness and suicide.
5 years ago I lost an uncle to suicide, him and I were very close and it hurts like hell having him gone. This is someone who you would never think would do such a thing. He was strong, and had an amazing positive attitude. Little did the family know just how much he was hurting. Looking back there were signs he was hurting, he said things to family that looking back now were warning signs.
I'll say this as it hurts like hell having him gone, take any warning signs seriously. If someone says to you "I'm hurting", "I'm depressed", talk to them, go see them. If someone you are close with becomes distant follow up with them. If someone is talking about or trying to harm themselves get them help, tell their spouse or kids as once a person is gone there's no second chances.

Well said. It seems to be the case all over the world, it definitely is here in Australia. When someone commits suicide, it's hushed up, not reported in the news and very few hear about it unless they have some connection to the family or emergency services. Perhaps it's done in respect for the family and loved ones, left up to them to disclose if they wish. This needs to change for change to occur. The spotlight needs to be shone on depression and anxiety, help is needed, not covering it up due to the fear of shame, dented pride or social standing.

#657 2 years ago

Incredibly sad moment that doesn't seem real. Until now it was like some sort of alternate reality, just like so many things in the last few years. The world isn't supposed to be this way, surely?? The service made it real and the outpouring of emotion both in the words spoken by family and friends and the posts on the tribute wall really show just how much Lyman means to so many people. He will be missed by so many, many that never knew him personally and those so very close to him. RIP Lyman.

3 months later
#715 1 year ago

Just recently listened to every word of this. What a truly awesome interview, so glad it was made available for everyone to listen too. It was nice to hear Lyman's voice again and get an inside into his thought process of developing the software for a game. He must have devoted so much of himself into each game he made and then updated sometime years later, well after the game was completed and sold. So much of his time and energy went into each game. You can hear in his voice just how much effort it was, when he describes the process, of just how much of a toll it took and what it meant to him to be able to work from home.

A truly genuine person that we are all going to miss and hopefully remember him for what he did. Such a shame he wasn't able to deal with his demons. Hopefully now, he rests in peace and if there is an afterlife, he's enjoying himself, just being him.

7 months later
#721 1 year ago

Hard to believe it's been a year since I read the terrible news here on Pinside. Such a shame he made that choice. RIP Lyman.

1 year later
#736 58 days ago
Quoted from Charles_Kline:

I can't believe it's the 3rd annual one! LFS's passing really hit hard for me and it really doesn't seem that long ago.

Completely agree.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 75.00
$ 45.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Cento Creations

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Machine - For Sale
Haddonfield, NJ
$ 22.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods

$ 160.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Westwood, NJ
8,499 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Hollywood, FL
$ 18.95
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 19.95
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 188.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Maine Home Recreation

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Pinballer73.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/rip-lyman?tu=Pinballer73 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.