20220220_132543 (resized).jpg
20220220_140315 (resized).jpg
5A10B76D-03E5-4E08-B226-C4D3382EA190 (resized).jpeg
C3CCD364-7920-4F2A-AC01-77C1EF9A7861 (resized).jpeg
149631C9-8B64-4775-8E13-0A98C77D9C75 (resized).jpeg
pasted_image (resized).png
index (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

5 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 736 posts in this topic. You are on page 9 of 15.
#401 2 years ago

My small pin collection is all lyman

47DA6E2F-8EE9-4048-A269-C511803FF7EE (resized).jpeg47DA6E2F-8EE9-4048-A269-C511803FF7EE (resized).jpeg
#402 2 years ago
Quoted from Richard-NBA-SF2:

Took this pic when I got my remake a year ago.
[quoted image]

In the future, will be great memories.

#404 2 years ago

RIP. You were one of the special ones.

#405 2 years ago

I appreciate what he left for us. If not the best, he raised the bar.

#406 2 years ago
Quoted from bigehrl:

Back when i owned Reciprocal Skateshop in the E.village of Manhattan, I used to run a tournament called Pinferno. We did it every year or so. So in, or around 2011, His wonderful girlfriend Penni, whom many of you probably know, was still living in NYC and was a regular face there, playing almost daily. Lyman flew in for one of the tournaments, both to compete and to spend time with her. So, rewind maybe 3 months or so before, I had just bought a NIB LOTR LE, which came with the authenticity certificate unsigned by Gary Stern. That's right, the signature line was left blank. As well, there was no goodie bag! I was like WTF?!? So i jokingly wrote an RGP Post reviewing the machine and insisting that Gary owes me his signature. In one line I asked "do you realize how many parent-less skate rats, asking for free-s&^t all day long, i have to put up with to earn $5000??". It never occurred to me that anyone at Stern would ever actually see it. Fast forward back to the day of the tournament, and Lyman walks into the shop. We're all mesmerized. We were looking at, and about the play against THE LYMAN SHEATS!!! The guy who did the code on Spider-Man!! So first he hands me a Spidey translight, because he knew it was one of my favorite games. It included a very nice message written on it, which i proudly still have today. Then he pulls out a LOTR goodie bag, and a new certificate with Gary's signature on it, and says "Gary says this is for you, and he wants to know.. exactly how many skate-rats DO you have to put up with to earn $5000?!?"
RIP Lyman. And we love you Penni, and are here for you in any and every way.
Here's the original RGP post from 11 years ago:-------------------------------------------------------
so it's been a good few weeks since i purchased a nib lotr le, and
tore it open like it contained the answers to life and beyond. i
figured i'd wait to judge how i felt about the purchase, and see,
after it all settled in, if i got what i paid for...
i know this topic has been poured over by several emotional buyers
already, but i'm not angry, and i'm not excited, i'm just going to
call it like i see it.
pros:
- the seller was awesome, and great to deal with (not stern's doing)
- the cardboard box it came in, seemed custom tailored, in size, to
the machine.
- it has a lotr playfield.
- it came with pinballs, so you can use the product.
- my cats love to lay on the backbox, just like every other machine
(also, not stern's doing).
- i truly respect stern, and the fact that they still make machines.
someone's gotta do it, so it's really better than nothing.
cons:
- it cost 5g's
- the ring magnet coil fuse was either blown, from factory, or blew
the moment i turned the game on.
- the side art is so pixelated, you have to either stand 25 ft back,
or squint really hard to make it out.
- the gold side rails are screaming, 'please don't touch me if you
want me stay looking this way!!'
- penis on the backglass? eh, i can live with that.
- stern ran out of figurines. let me repeat that, stern.. ran.. out..
of.. figurines! what?? if the halal cart outside my shop ran out of
lamb, they would stop selling gyros. they wouldn't hand me a pita and
tomatoes, and tell me to go to a farm and slaughter my own.
- the goodie bag was, wait... what goodie bag?
- the manual looked photocopied. i guess the company that made the
figurines, also made the manuals.
- and the real kick in the hairdick!?? the certificate that came with
it, was not signed by you gary. it was a blank signature line. i mean,
c'mon! seriously?? i forked over all this hard earned cash to buy this
collector edition item, and you forgot to sign the one piece of paper
that can salvage all the cost-cutting this thing underwent? this thing
isn't going on location gary, so i'm not going to make this money
back. this is a present to myself. and yes, despite my ranting and
raving, i really appreciate what you and your company does, so i want
your autograph!
see, gary, i own a skateboard shop in nyc. do you realize how many
parent-less skate rats, asking for free-s&^t all day long, i have to
put up with to earn $5000?? trust me, it's alot! so when i make a
decision to drop serious coin on anything, i simply want what i paid
for. i don't have your private number or email, so i have to post
publicly.
so, gary stern, you owe me your signature....
let's do this... you have an open invite to come to the 'pinferno VI'
pinball tournament, which takes place all-day on saturday, feb. 12th,
2011 at reciprocal skateshop. there are 32 total spots going up for
grabs on monday, jan 12th at noon, and it usually fills in less than 2
days, so contact me ASAP. if you like, you can compete, or if you
prefer, just come have a few beers, hang out, and talk to some good
folks who truly love pinball. i'll have the certificate here, along
with a brand new fine tip pen waiting for your arrival. i'll even give
you a brand new, complete skateboard for the road. i'm sure you have
kids, nephews/nieces, or just know someone who loves skateboarding.
it's a win-win!
email me, and i'll let you know flight options.
p.s. bring lyman
thanks for keeping it alive, and listening to criticism.
-jon - reciprocal nyc

One of the greatest Pinside posts ever! RIP Lyman

#407 2 years ago

Just got done fighting the horde.

Thanks for everything, Lyman. The code master.

RIP

#408 2 years ago

So Lyman borrowed my Iron Man to tweak the code, and after about a year I said,”hey what’s taking so long?”, so he gives me an Iron Maiden nib to shut me up, I did.
As a bonus he put me in the default high scores

36523274-D3C6-4854-B46B-F0D8B0D3A26E (resized).png36523274-D3C6-4854-B46B-F0D8B0D3A26E (resized).png

#409 2 years ago

And it’s national squirrel appreciation day, and that dude hand fed his squirrels

CAD4793F-6DB7-4FB0-94C0-3411CE842274 (resized).pngCAD4793F-6DB7-4FB0-94C0-3411CE842274 (resized).png
#410 2 years ago
Quoted from mookoz:

I first met Lyman in 1993 when he was one of the first (if not THE first) internet nerds to step through the looking glass and work for the manufacturers instead of bitch about them on rec.games.pinball. He snuck me into the Data East factory for a tour before I ever thought about joining the business.
We both landed at Williams at exactly the same time in the winter of 1994. Both kind of strangers to the maelstrom that was Williams pinball engineering but he adapted way quicker than I did. We had a lot of good memories both in and out of work during those years. I remember helping him jumpstart his car on California avenue after the blizzard of 1999 and I was pretty sure he had spent the entire weekend in the office working on Revenge From Mars. He never said a thing about it.
He was a quiet, modest genius when it came to pinball engineering and none of us could have ever been able to approach the time, love, and care he put into everything he did. It was one thing to watch him play, it was another to look over his work and how he handled his craft. Both were humbling.
The way he'll live on in my memory is the one afternoon we were playing a game together at the bottom of the stairs at 3401 N California. That was where new games got tested before the street and Lyman would regularly spend hours kicking the shit out of the machines, figuratively and literally. If your game was worth playing the coin door would be dented from Lyman kicking it in frustration to trigger the slam tilt (also known as a 'programmer's reset').
We had finished a game - and it wasn't a great one - and he was entering his initials but messed up the S in LFS. It entered as LFT. Lyman joked that this was "Lefty", his alter ego that sucked at pinball. It became a running joke at some point and when I wrote him into the No Good Gofers HSTD table that's how he wanted to be listed. I'd like to think he wasn't poking fun at the game but at himself.
This has been a devastating shock to all of us that ever knew him or worked with him on a daily basis. Lefty will be sorely missed.
[quoted image]

Maverick is one of my favorites, coded by Lonnie and Lyman, it has a dent in the coin door like somebody hit it with their knee. I never knew it was a programmers reset. Coincidence?
Rip Lyman
Your legacy will live on with all of us!

#412 2 years ago

Way too young…..RIP Lyman…your legacy will endure

#413 2 years ago

RIP Lyman, Thank you for everything you gave us!

F554B4BA-48EE-4936-AB35-010E173D9A7E (resized).pngF554B4BA-48EE-4936-AB35-010E173D9A7E (resized).png
#414 2 years ago

I never met Lyman but that doesn't matter. We all met him.

Quoted from Chambahz:

My avatar is a pic of me playing a game of Aztec against a friend of mine, Lyman, and Penni.
Meeting Lyman is easily the highpoint of that weekend at Papa. Far and above, my favourite rules programmer.
ACDC was my first pin and it's almost a curse. How do you top that one? With Metallica and Walking Dead, I suppose.
I'm gutted. This is reminiscent of hearing about Gord Downie's brain tumour. So sad.

It’s so sad. I’m still not over Gord.

#415 2 years ago

He was nice to talk to and he even bought me a drink a few times

#416 2 years ago

I didn't know Lyman Sheets, but I knew OF him as I only got into pinball around 2017 with my first purchase being DEADPOOL.

By 2020, I had purchased ELVIRA HOUSE OF HORRORS and as the code was being updated, I posted a few queries into the ELVIRA thread on Pinside, because I wasn't sure about some scoring stuff. So "some guy" PMs me very politely, explains all of the changes and why they were made and lo and behold as I got to the bottom of the PM, I noticed his name simply....Lyman.

I was like "This CAN'T be the same guy who actually programmed the game, can it?" Why would he 'waste his time' PM'ing a random guy like myself, explaining the changes? But it was Lyman Sheets and we actually went back-and-forth a couple of times about the game, and he even apologized for "replying late" to me one time. Just wow.

As much as I love his games and all that he has clearly brought to the pinball industry, my small interaction with him showed me a lot more about him as a person and here's hoping that his person rubbed off on a lot of people because he was clearly a prince of a man, on top of being one of the most legendary pin programmers of all-time. Tonight I will play EHOH in his honor but I will remember his spirit and his humbleness for the rest of my life.

My condolences to his entire family and all who loved him. Thank you for making our lives that much more entertaining, Mr. Sheets, sincerely.

#417 2 years ago

I only have 4 modern machines in my collection. They were each designed by someone different. However, three of them were coded by Lyman. MBR, MMR, EHOH. And, I’ve also ordered the CCR machine and was looking forward to have his touch on that one as well. It is people like Lyman that make you want to grab hold of this hobby and don’t let go. He made an impact on so many people thru his work and his kindliness. He set an example of how we can expect more out of the games with their rulesets and fun modes. We are all very lucky to have had him help make pinball better…. Thank you Lyman. RIP.

#418 2 years ago

OMG

WTF? Here I’m lamenting what? A few grand++ lost on the stock market? We have no idea what life will throw at us at any moment so sad loss for words. This is truly a sad day for me and pinball. Sad.

#420 2 years ago

Someone who has put so much into this marvelous thing we all love called pinball has just left us much to soon.

Thank you for the magic.

#421 2 years ago
Quoted from TonyScoots:

RIP Lyman, Thank you for everything you gave us!
[quoted image]

Only 55? Damn.

#422 2 years ago

He was an awesome person and his work will be enjoyed by many people for many years.
Thank you Lyman.

#423 2 years ago
Quoted from bangerjay:

So Lyman borrowed my Iron Man to tweak the code, and after about a year I said,”hey what’s taking so long?”, so he gives me an Iron Maiden nib to shut me up, I did.
As a bonus he put me in the default high scores
[quoted image]

These are the priceless neat stories! Thanks for the share!

#424 2 years ago

Modern classic. It's been a lot of fun to own and still a blast to play. Thanks Lyman

20220121_230625 (resized).jpg20220121_230625 (resized).jpg
#425 2 years ago

I’ve read through almost all of these post so far and I gotta tell ya….It’s pretty awesome to hear all the cool stories and good words coming from everyone! I didn’t know much about the guy besides his coding/ gaming abilities, but I feel like I know the guy a little better now thanks to all the people on this forum. There will never be another Lyman Sheats, but maybe someone can follow in his footsteps and bring on some more of that OUSTSTANDING code!

#427 2 years ago

It is sad and unfortunate to lose a person so talented, genuine and dedicated. An absolutely amazing legacey. Friends and family can be proud of the impact he has made and maybe gain some comfort.

#428 2 years ago
20220122_014854 (resized).jpg20220122_014854 (resized).jpg
#429 2 years ago
Quoted from yancy:

Four years ago I hosted league on my wife's birthday while she was stuck watching our three-month-old. In the invite email I cracked a joke about possibly being divorced by the end of the night. Lyman showed up to league with a small batch of cookies he baked just for my wife. That's what kind of guy he was.
Requiescat.

Requiescat indeed. Thanks for sharing that Yancy!

What a fucking legend and such a good dude! We are all blessed by Lyman's gifts and his (and our subsquent) lament.

#430 2 years ago

Still shocked by this news, what a loss This news has really put somethings into perceptive with one those being how heated some of us can get on here when it comes to debating games, which is better, which is worse, which has more features or less, etc. No matter the game or company that made it there's a team of hard working people behind each title and doing it all so that the customers and fans can have fun. Fun is really what pinball is all about and Lyman's rulesets provided that in numerous games for thousands to enjoy.

#432 2 years ago

The GOAT

FB_IMG_1641173454992 (resized).jpgFB_IMG_1641173454992 (resized).jpg
#433 2 years ago

I love this picture. We were having so much fun.
I love that Lyman face he made for heavy pics.
Priceless

#434 2 years ago

Al Al Al yes I was talking to you ha.
This pic really hurts

#435 2 years ago

RIP Lyman and condolences to all his loved ones. Gone so very much too soon. From what I read here, Lyman was not only an asset to pinball, but also an amazing person.

Quoted from bigehrl:

Back when i owned Reciprocal Skateshop in the E.village of Manhattan, I used to run a tournament called Pinferno. We did it every year or so. So in, or around 2011, His wonderful girlfriend Penni, whom many of you probably know, was still living in NYC and was a regular face there, playing almost daily. Lyman flew in for one of the tournaments, both to compete and to spend time with her. So, rewind maybe 3 months or so before, I had just bought a NIB LOTR LE, which came with the authenticity certificate unsigned by Gary Stern. That's right, the signature line was left blank. As well, there was no goodie bag! I was like WTF?!? So i jokingly wrote an RGP Post reviewing the machine and insisting that Gary owes me his signature. In one line I asked "do you realize how many parent-less skate rats, asking for free-s&^t all day long, i have to put up with to earn $5000??". It never occurred to me that anyone at Stern would ever actually see it. Fast forward back to the day of the tournament, and Lyman walks into the shop. We're all mesmerized. We were looking at, and about the play against THE LYMAN SHEATS!!! The guy who did the code on Spider-Man!! So first he hands me a Spidey translight, because he knew it was one of my favorite games. It included a very nice message written on it, which i proudly still have today. Then he pulls out a LOTR goodie bag, and a new certificate with Gary's signature on it, and says "Gary says this is for you, and he wants to know.. exactly how many skate-rats DO you have to put up with to earn $5000?!?"

What a coincidence. This day is also my memory of Lyman, but from a totally different perspective. I had just flown to New York City for a short holiday. I remember being at your shop to pick up some stuff, talking to you and playing some pinball. Pinferno was about to start.

Just when my girlfriend and I were ready to leave, in walks Lyman Sheats. I remember being quite starstruck and thinking "Wow, this guy is Pinball Royalty!" and also "If this is the level of competition here, I don't mind not taking part in this tournament. I wouldn't stand a chance!" Back on the streets, I enthusiastically told my girl how important the guy we just ran into was for pinball. And he was.

#436 2 years ago

Great to see all your pictures and hear your stories.
RIP Lyman, condolences and blessings to your family and friends.

Turn on your games and raise a toast, to the King of code.

Cheers Lyman Sheats .

20220121_234946 (resized).jpg20220121_234946 (resized).jpg
#437 2 years ago

There are so few people in this hobby that everyone universally loves and respects. Pinball royalty. RIP.

#438 2 years ago

I am truly at a loss.... Not because of his accomplishments in the hobby and his achievements

But for what happiness I will miss and what joy his work has given .... How selfish of me

#439 2 years ago

I spoke with Lyman in 2005. What a fantastic man who never saw himself at the level of greatness he existed in.

Work ethic and humility second to none.

I will miss you.

#440 2 years ago

Heartbroken... my favorite guy in pinball business!

Thank you so much for all the joy you brought and will bring to our lives!

To all friends and loved ones - I am so sorry for your loss, my thoughts are with you.

#441 2 years ago

I did not know Lyman personally and that is definitely my loss - and I very much appreciate reading all the fond memories posted in this thread by those who did. Not only did he touch so many lives with his work, but clearly he was just a good person, period. We should all reflect on a life well lived...

#442 2 years ago

A damn shame, didn’t know him personally but he came across as a sincere, genuine and conscientious chap.
The loss of a pin legend.
Life can be cruel.
Godspeed Lyman.

#443 2 years ago

Really sad news. He was great for pinball.

#444 2 years ago

I didn't know him; I saw him a few times at a tournament but I never met him. He seemed quiet and thoughtful and gentle.

This is a tragedy, for sure. He's left us all far too early.

I'm sure this loss is leaving a hole in the lives of many of his family and friends and I hope you can all ultimately find some kind of closure and peace in knowing how much he was appreciated by so many.

I've got 3 machines coded by him and they just became that much more special to me.

#445 2 years ago

Deepest sympathies and sincerest condolences to all those who knew and loved him.

A true pin legend and all-around great guy. His legacy will forever live on in every game he had a hand in creating and that we all enjoy and love. Definitely one of the greatest coders ever and oh yeah...what a pin slayer player!

#446 2 years ago

I am thankful I got to meet you and was star struck. Awesome having drinks with you and your crew at TPF. RIP.

8DF72715-7E58-4637-850F-FE15B6B4212C (resized).jpeg8DF72715-7E58-4637-850F-FE15B6B4212C (resized).jpeg
#447 2 years ago

My condolences to his family and his friends here on pinside. What a sad day for the pinball community. Rest in peace Sir.

#448 2 years ago

Terrible news…a pinball master has left us Five of my pins were coded by Lyman, I will cherish them even more now. What a great legacy he left behind. Based on the comments here, he also sounded like a great person. Godspeed…

#449 2 years ago
Quoted from bigehrl:

RIP Lyman. And we love you Penni, and are here for you in any and every way.
Here's the original RGP post from 11 years ago:-------------------------------------------------------
so it's been a good few weeks since i purchased a nib lotr le, and
tore it open like it contained the answers to life and beyond. i
figured i'd wait to judge how i felt about the purchase, and see,
after it all settled in, if i got what i paid for...
i know this topic has been poured over by several emotional buyers
already, but i'm not angry, and i'm not excited, i'm just going to
call it like i see it.
pros:
- the seller was awesome, and great to deal with (not stern's doing)
- the cardboard box it came in, seemed custom tailored, in size, to
the machine.
- it has a lotr playfield.
- it came with pinballs, so you can use the product.
- my cats love to lay on the backbox, just like every other machine
(also, not stern's doing).
- i truly respect stern, and the fact that they still make machines.
someone's gotta do it, so it's really better than nothing.
cons:
- it cost 5g's
- the ring magnet coil fuse was either blown, from factory, or blew
the moment i turned the game on.
- the side art is so pixelated, you have to either stand 25 ft back,
or squint really hard to make it out.
- the gold side rails are screaming, 'please don't touch me if you
want me stay looking this way!!'
- penis on the backglass? eh, i can live with that.
- stern ran out of figurines. let me repeat that, stern.. ran.. out..
of.. figurines! what?? if the halal cart outside my shop ran out of
lamb, they would stop selling gyros. they wouldn't hand me a pita and
tomatoes, and tell me to go to a farm and slaughter my own.
- the goodie bag was, wait... what goodie bag?
- the manual looked photocopied. i guess the company that made the
figurines, also made the manuals.
- and the real kick in the hairdick!?? the certificate that came with
it, was not signed by you gary. it was a blank signature line. i mean,
c'mon! seriously?? i forked over all this hard earned cash to buy this
collector edition item, and you forgot to sign the one piece of paper
that can salvage all the cost-cutting this thing underwent? this thing
isn't going on location gary, so i'm not going to make this money
back. this is a present to myself. and yes, despite my ranting and
raving, i really appreciate what you and your company does, so i want
your autograph!
see, gary, i own a skateboard shop in nyc. do you realize how many
parent-less skate rats, asking for free-s&^t all day long, i have to
put up with to earn $5000?? trust me, it's alot! so when i make a
decision to drop serious coin on anything, i simply want what i paid
for. i don't have your private number or email, so i have to post
publicly.
so, gary stern, you owe me your signature....
let's do this... you have an open invite to come to the 'pinferno VI'
pinball tournament, which takes place all-day on saturday, feb. 12th,
2011 at reciprocal skateshop. there are 32 total spots going up for
grabs on monday, jan 12th at noon, and it usually fills in less than 2
days, so contact me ASAP. if you like, you can compete, or if you
prefer, just come have a few beers, hang out, and talk to some good
folks who truly love pinball. i'll have the certificate here, along
with a brand new fine tip pen waiting for your arrival. i'll even give
you a brand new, complete skateboard for the road. i'm sure you have
kids, nephews/nieces, or just know someone who loves skateboarding.
it's a win-win!
email me, and i'll let you know flight options.
p.s. bring lyman
thanks for keeping it alive, and listening to criticism.
-jon - reciprocal nyc

Lmaooooooooo I love this. I did not know Lyman personally but was definitely in awe of him whenever I was around him (like wow... that’s the guy)!

My condolences to his family and friends. Truly sad day for those folks... and of course, pinball.

#450 2 years ago

Lyman was a good friend. He helped me get Pintastic going. He was one of my guys at Stern than nudged people to come to the show. He won the silver ball rumble in 2016! We partied hard that year and I will never forget that! Thank you for all the great games RIP my friend.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball
Decorations
10,250 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Onekama, MI
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball
Protection
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
Other
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
Other
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Incline Village, NV
$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
$ 39.00
Cabinet - Other
Arcade Upkeep
Other
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
Shooter rods
$ 109.99
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Disk war combatant Pre-order!
RamMods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie
Other
$ 18.99
Tools
FlipMods
Tools
8,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Greensboro, NC
$ 21.50
9,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Oklahoma City, OK
$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie
Other
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball
Decorations
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound
Sound/Speakers
$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
Other
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Sound/Speakers
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
$ 18.00
Lighting - Other
Pin Monk
Other
$ 85.00
$ 19.95
Electronics
Lermods
Electronics
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 736 posts in this topic. You are on page 9 of 15.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/rip-lyman/page/9 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.