20220220_132543 (resized).jpg
20220220_140315 (resized).jpg
5A10B76D-03E5-4E08-B226-C4D3382EA190 (resized).jpeg
C3CCD364-7920-4F2A-AC01-77C1EF9A7861 (resized).jpeg
149631C9-8B64-4775-8E13-0A98C77D9C75 (resized).jpeg
pasted_image (resized).png
index (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

5 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 736 posts in this topic. You are on page 7 of 15.
#301 2 years ago
Quoted from BlueIrocGuy:

Very sad to hear of Lyman Sheets passing and my thoughts and prayers go out to his family and friends.
I chatted with him at an MGC show a few years ago, after he happily signed a Luci translite that I brought up to him. He graciously spent a lot of time talking to me and one of my sons about rules, strategy, and coding on AC/DC and Met. It was the highlight of the show for me and a memory that won’t be forgotten.
On a positive note, it’s kind of cool to think that as long as pinball still exists, people will still get to experience the love and coding genius he put into his machines, far into the future!

Similar story. Just wanted to say hi and tell him how much I enjoyed AC/DC that I had just bought. Made a joke about how bad I was at it and trying to figure out scoring strategies. He then spent 5 minutes giving me tips and asking about what I was doing. He did it in a way where he didn't want to spoil the game but instead nudge me in certain directions.

Just seemed so kind and passionate about it. Tremendously sad day for the hobby. But as you said, his legacy will live on in the games he worked on and all the people who were inspired by his work.

#303 2 years ago

Unbelievable...So young. Condolences to his friends and family.

#304 2 years ago

Fairly new (4 years) to the hobby, but totally gutted on this news. Didn't matter if you're new or old to the hobby... You knew who Lyman was... The world just lost a legend. RIP man... No words

#305 2 years ago

So sad! My heart goes out to his family!

#306 2 years ago

Such sad news!

I have to share this ...

Only diving headfirst into this hobby in 2018, I didn't know anything of the legendary players, designers or coders in pinball.

Shortly after, while at a pinball show (Pinburgh, I think) I snapped a pic of someone playing with a very unique stance. I had never seen anyone position themselves quite like that and thought my wife would get a kick out of the pic.

Today, after seeing various pics of Lyman posted by other Pinsiders in this thread, I had a strange realization ... could that photo, I took a few years ago, been of Lyman Sheats.

I searched back through my photo archives and there it was in my archives. I showed my wife and said, "I think I took a photo of Lyman Sheats!"

My wife was skeptical at first, since you can't see this man's face, but when I showed her another pic that someone had posted that had a striking resemblance, she took another look. She then spotted that even the sneakers looked the same, not too mention a similar bottle of water by his feet.

Did I take a pic of a true "Pinball Legend" and not even know it at the time ... I think, I did ... but maybe, I'll never know for sure.

One thing I do know, I wish I would have said, "Hello," to that fellow and said, "..that's quite a playing stance!"

(For comparison, I attached my photo of him(?) playing Atlantis and another pic of Lyman previously posted in this thread. )

Screenshot_20220121-171351_Chrome (resized).jpgScreenshot_20220121-171351_Chrome (resized).jpgScreenshot_20220121-151018_Photos (resized).jpgScreenshot_20220121-151018_Photos (resized).jpg
#307 2 years ago

Good lord! January has been a rough month already and today seems to be the worst.

RIP Lyman

#308 2 years ago

This is more the stance that I remember him having when I first say him at PAPA3, one foot on top of the other, except he played the whole tourney in just his socks.
pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#309 2 years ago
Quoted from crazypinballguy:

Such sad news!
I have to share this ...
Only diving headfirst into this hobby in 2018, I didn't know anything of the legendary players, designers or coders in pinball.
Shortly after, while at a pinball show, either Pinfest or Pinburgh, I snapped a pic of someone playing with a very unique stance. I had never seen anyone position themselves quite like that and thought my wife would get a kick out of the pic.
Today, after seeing various pics of Lyman posted by other Pinsiders in this thread, I had a strange realization ... could that photo, I took a few years ago, been of Lyman Sheats.
I searched back through my photo archives and there it was in my archives. I showed my wife and said, "I think I took a photo of Lyman Sheats!"
My wife was skeptical at first, since you can't see this man's face, but when I showed her another pic that someone had posted that had a striking resemblance, she took another look. She then spotted that even the sneakers looked the same, not too mention a similar bottle of water by his feet.
Did I take a pic of a true "Pinball Legend" and not even know it at the time ... I think, I did ... but maybe, I'll never know for sure.
One thing I do know, I wish I would have said, "Hello," to that fellow and said, "..that's quite a playing stance!"
(For comparison, I attached my photo of him(?) playing Atlantis and another pic of Lyman previously posted in this thread. )
[quoted image][quoted image]

Same sneakers...

#310 2 years ago

Man. It’s starting to set in. Shock wearing off and sadness taking over. His mastery will certainly live with me and *on* me forever. His impact can’t be overstated. RIP and condolences to all of his family and friends.

C5E5A8D5-A7FE-49E7-8059-2017F1DB997F (resized).jpegC5E5A8D5-A7FE-49E7-8059-2017F1DB997F (resized).jpeg
#311 2 years ago
Quoted from mbeardsley:

This is more the stance that I remember him having
[quoted image]

Great picture. Did you take this?

#312 2 years ago

I remember the first correspondence I had with Lyman back in '92. We were part of a small group of RGPers who had bought TAF new and we were sharing our experiences with the game. Fast forward a few years and I had good memories of many late nights spent at Williams. He was working on AFM and I was working on Safe Cracker. I was in the next hall, but kept hearing the "5 BILLION..." callout for hours as he worked on the RTU winning effect.

#313 2 years ago

RIP didn't know him personally but seemed like a genuinely good dude.

50ish is too young.

#314 2 years ago

Rest In Peace Lyman. Your games brought so much joy and I truly enjoyed watching you play.

People forget how good a player he was besides the amazing code.

What a loss for the hobby.

#315 2 years ago

RIP Lyman, you will be missed big time

#316 2 years ago

Thank you Lyman for your incredible code.

Pinball won’t be the same without you

#317 2 years ago

So sad to see Lyman not with us anymore. His games were genius in coding and super fun to play. We are all going to miss him. I am sure everybody is playing his coded games as we speak. Thank you Lyman for all your hard work that makes life fun for all of us playing pinball. Here is a great interview from The Slam Tilt Podcast. It is hard to listen to this knowing he passed away. Such a great guy!

https://www.slamtiltpodcast.com/2018/07/18/episode-100-lyman-laments/

#318 2 years ago

Just played my Mando LE in a Lyman Sheats wide stance and had one of my best games on it. I can see why he got low like that, to easier line up a shot from the playfield level.

#319 2 years ago
Quoted from dyopp21:

The legendary "Lyman Stance."
[quoted image]

Thanks for creating this image - this would make an absolutely awesome tribute t-shirt.

Maybe with some of the proceeds going to his family, from the world's pinball family?
Anyone? Anyone?

#320 2 years ago

RIP

#321 2 years ago

RIP, big big loss for pinball... so so sad

#322 2 years ago

Brilliant at what he did and he will certainly be missed.

RIP

#323 2 years ago

I got to play a game and talk to him in Milwaukee at the show in ‘19
Super nice guy - wasn’t in a rush - took time to talk to some pinball guy he didn’t know.
I feel super lucky to have met him.

9CE33D7E-A22F-46FE-B273-1B94CB58C3D5 (resized).jpeg9CE33D7E-A22F-46FE-B273-1B94CB58C3D5 (resized).jpegF5E00ED3-3FA1-4FE3-BC07-7BF9D29D6F49 (resized).jpegF5E00ED3-3FA1-4FE3-BC07-7BF9D29D6F49 (resized).jpeg
#324 2 years ago

RIP Lyman. Sad day.

5F656796-8B10-4678-81C3-38C53FE34742.jpeg5F656796-8B10-4678-81C3-38C53FE34742.jpeg
Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#325 2 years ago

Very sad. Thank you, Lyman, for all you did for pinball.

#326 2 years ago

R.I.P. Someone who truly innovated pinball. You will be missed.

#327 2 years ago

What a very, very sad day. My thoughts are with his family and friends.

#328 2 years ago

We at Chicago Gaming are deeply saddened by the passing of Lyman Sheats. It was nothing less than an honor to have had the opportunity to work with such an exceptional individual. Being huge fans of his work, it’s no coincidence that the first three games we selected to remake were all programmed by Lyman. Through working with Lyman I got to know him personally and grew to consider him a friend. I’m going to miss him. I think everyone here is going to miss him.

Our thoughts and prayers go out to Penni, his family and the entire pinball community.

#329 2 years ago

This sucks. 2022 sucks.

#331 2 years ago

A sad day for pinball indeed.

The best way to honor Lyman is to love and enjoy his creations. I know I will.

#333 2 years ago

I hope this post is not taken in any other way than which I am posting it as I am a long time software engineer as well. No idea what physical issues if any Lyman Sheats had but I can offer some insight on the rigors of intense software projects and relentless tech support. Most of the time, we sit for hours upon hours and that is very unhealthy. For any pinball companies here, if you do not already, please encourage employees to get up out of that seat and move around.

#334 2 years ago

In the first game of the first tournament I ever played in, I realize as I'm walking up that Lyman is in my group.

We're playing ACDC...a game he coded of course...I make a joke that I'm happy to help if he had any questions about the code. He laughed a bit, and then proceeded to easily crush the other 3 of us in the group. We talked afterwards and he was really nice and friendly.

Lyman is one of the best players of all time, and a code genius. Thank you for all the fun Lyman. You will be greatly missed.

I'm going to go play the games you coded in my lineup, and a raise a glass to your memory.

#335 2 years ago

Lyman was one of the kindest and smartest people I ever had the pleasure of meeting. No matter where our paths would cross, he was always kind enough to talk with me, even if he happened to be destroying me on a game of pinball in a tournament and I just wanted to chat with a hero. He would come out to small local tournaments I ran to support the scene. He would stop and say hi if I was passing by at Stern. He was considerate, sweet, and just a great person to just have been able to meet. It's deeply saddening to think I won't be seeing his smile again.

#336 2 years ago

This is certainly a horrible day for pinball. Even more so though my thoughts are with his family and all of you that knew him on a personal level. I'm truly sorry for your loss.

#337 2 years ago

Truly devastated. The star of “Special when Lit”. Remember watching him play and seeing him interviewed and thinking what a great guy. At the time didn’t even realise the genius he had brought to the world with his game design and coding. We won’t see his like again. RIP.

#338 2 years ago
Quoted from gumnut01:

Truly devastated. The star of “Special when Lit”. Remember watching him play and seeing him interviewed and thinking what a great guy. At the time didn’t even realise the genius he had brought to the world with his game design and coding. We won’t see his like again. RIP.

This is the first time I heard his name.....while watching this documentary. I took notice after this.

#339 2 years ago
Quoted from terrapinmark:

Great picture. Did you take this?

No, I copied this from somebody else's post earlier in this thread. I just wanted to show the Lyman stance that I remembered, rather than the other one being shown in other pictures here.

#340 2 years ago

The man who made the difference in the rules. A world champion who made the good games great and showed us how balance and depth could be achieved with a simple layout.

It's the rules man... It's the rules that make the game.

#341 2 years ago

Damn those epic pinball splits... gotta love him.
RIP Lyman

#342 2 years ago

You didn’t have to know him personally to know he actually touched all of us who love pinball.
He is going to be missed.

#343 2 years ago

Lyman PAPA (resized).JPGLyman PAPA (resized).JPG

PAPA banners (resized).JPGPAPA banners (resized).JPG

#344 2 years ago

Just played a game of Metallica in honor of Lyman. What an awesome game. What an enormous loss for pinball. RIP.

#345 2 years ago

I've never talked to the guy personally but have seen him at tournaments here and there. Far too young. Pouring one out for him this weekend!

#346 2 years ago

Wow. I am shocked and saddened to hear about this. Never met Lyman personally, but being in this hobby for many decades and owning several of his games - it's hard not to be stunned by this news.

RIP Lyman - you made your mark and you will be missed.

#347 2 years ago

A true legend, you'll live on forever through the games you designed.

Rest In Paradise

#348 2 years ago

WOW.. this is devastating news. What a cool F'ing guy, taken way too soon..

Quick Lyman story:

The last Herb Silvers show in Vegas (99'?), Lyman, Tony Page (Silverball Amusements) and I played wound up at the same blackjack table. At the start of what must have been a 6-7 hour session, Lyman shows up few hours in..

At the beginning, he was pretty low key; but as the beers went down it was pretty apparent we knew who he was even though we hadn't been introduced. Lyman was super chill, really easy to talk to and a damn good card player (surprise!). The three of us got on great..

There is something magical when you have a group of people who know how to play blackjack at the table at the same time. We were all hitting some insane splits, double-downs giving the house some particularly brutal beats - at which time either Tony or I would bust out "Jackput!!!" in Salah's voice from IJ. We had Lyman rolling, by the end of it. I think we all finally left around 3 am. An especially good night was had by all, and I remember Lyman in particular crushed the house. He must have left the table easily up close to a grand.

The next day I had a chance to witness "The Stance" up close.. The victim: A Dr. Who... I have never seen anything like it before or since, just 1-2-3 combo after combo without a miss. Stunning. The Doctor didn't stand a chance.

I ran into Lyman a few years later at Expo in either 03' or 04'. We had a good chat about how Pinball Fantasy needed to come back and how insane that blackjack session was a few years earlier..Awesome dude.

Lyman was an amazing coder, but just as amazing of a pinball player. He was a pinball legend because of his passion for both.

But after reading what is at present, 7 pages of posts on his passing - It's pretty clear that Lyman was a legendary person. I am very lucky to have met him.

Condolences to all his family and friends, especially Penni.. --- RIP LFS ---

IM002353 (resized).JPGIM002353 (resized).JPG
#349 2 years ago

This ain't right.

2020 sucked. 2021 said hold my beer. And look what we're starting out with now.

I'm going to play some TWD in his honor now.

IMG_20220118_150941996 (resized).jpgIMG_20220118_150941996 (resized).jpg
#350 2 years ago

I'm playing a couple of my pins tonight in honor of Lyman.

R.I.P.

You'll be missed.

DSC_6235 (resized).JPGDSC_6235 (resized).JPG
Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Cento Creations

Machine - For Sale
Brighton, CO
$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 72.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 7.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Z

$ 30.00
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 8.99
Cabinet - Other
Inscribed Solutions

$ 84.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
FlyLand Designs

18,500 (OBO)
$ 69.99
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

Cabinet - Other
Inscribed Solutions

$ 5.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Fuzz

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 200.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Led Pinball

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 19.99
Cabinet - Other
PinballGeek

11,600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Lubbock, TX
There are 736 posts in this topic. You are on page 7 of 15.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/rip-lyman/page/7?hl=woody6092 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.