20220220_132543 (resized).jpg
20220220_140315 (resized).jpg
5A10B76D-03E5-4E08-B226-C4D3382EA190 (resized).jpeg
C3CCD364-7920-4F2A-AC01-77C1EF9A7861 (resized).jpeg
149631C9-8B64-4775-8E13-0A98C77D9C75 (resized).jpeg
pasted_image (resized).png
index (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

5 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 736 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 15.
#151 2 years ago

How sad!

Truly one of the great legends in pinball.

RIP Lyman. You will be missed!

#152 2 years ago
Quoted from schudel5:

Josh really wanted to play Lyman on a game. There just so happened to be a HS2 right there so they started up a 2-player game. I was thinking Lyman may go easy on Josh to make it seem close. NOPE! Lyman annihilated Josh like 24 billion to 8 million! It wasn't close at all. But Josh thought that was the greatest thing ever and I'm glad Lyman stopped to talk to my son. Truly a class act!

This is so hilarious and great. Like the Chappelle Show skit where he plays the sick hospital kid in video games but x 10. And it actually happened!

#153 2 years ago

There’s no, “yeah, but”, with Lyman. Everyone had respect for you as a player, coder, and most importantly, as a person.

#154 2 years ago

Rest In Peace, Lyman. What a shocking loss.

#155 2 years ago

Shocking.....thoughts and prayers to his family and loved ones. RIP

#156 2 years ago

Absolutely stunning and heartbreaking - hard to believe.

#157 2 years ago

Wow, loss for words. I can't believe this.....R.I.P. Lyman

#158 2 years ago

That's so sad! How often do I think about the ingenious code of the TWD! R.I.P.

#159 2 years ago

Lyman was the George Harrison of pinball. You had the Johns and Pauls as the designers, the face of the games, but it was Lyman, the George, that was the heart that made those games sing, that didn't get nearly enough credit, and who brought out the best in all the Ringos that also worked on the project.

#160 2 years ago

Lost another friend. Such Horrible news.

Here is Lyman talking with Al Cihak both now gone, both never forgotten.

53 (resized).jpg53 (resized).jpg
#161 2 years ago

RIP Lyman! Two of my first three games were Lyman machines

#162 2 years ago

Rest In Peace Legandary Lyman.
Thank You for all.

#163 2 years ago

RIP TO A LEGEND!

99E909F4-D3F8-475E-BF92-EDBD539B3C2B (resized).jpeg99E909F4-D3F8-475E-BF92-EDBD539B3C2B (resized).jpeg
#164 2 years ago

Jeez. Our pinball world is a diminished yet again. I'll have to pull out "Special when Lit" and give him a watch tonight. RIP Lyman.

#165 2 years ago

Condolences to his friends and family, gone way too soon.

I never had the opportunity to meet the man, but am still floored by this news. The industry has lost one of its legends.

Thanks for all the hours of fun Lyman, you will be missed.

#167 2 years ago

Anyone know what happened?

#168 2 years ago
Quoted from Eddie:

Lost another friend. Such Horrible news.
Here is Lyman talking with Al Cihak both now gone, both never forgotten.[quoted image]

Ok it’s official . 2022 so far sucks ass. I'm still dealing with ALs loss now Lyman … I can’t believe this … Going to miss you and your greatness. Rest In Peace to the KING of all Code

#169 2 years ago

RIP

#170 2 years ago

Rest In Peace Lyman!
We thank you for all the hard work & dedication you contributed to Pinball
Along with all the joy and fun times you brought in our lives
You will be sadly missed but never forgotten

#171 2 years ago

Oh, darn. My condolences.

#172 2 years ago

The pinball world has lost a true genius. Everything he touched turned to pinball gold.

He is irreplaceable but at least he leaves a legacy of pure brilliance that we can enjoy forever.

In Lyman we trust.

#173 2 years ago

A true pinball legend has passed away. He brought many of us so much joy and in his legacy this will continue

He will be missed but also be remembered by many of us when we play his masterpieces.

My thoughts are however with his family for whom This is much worse

RIP Lyman

#174 2 years ago

What incredibly sad news, the pinball world lost a true legend.

I only met Lyman in person once. In 2014, my brother and I went to Expo in Chicago for the first time. Being the first real pinball trip in the US, we were super excited. We got invited to the Stern factory and received a really warm welcome there and met with a bunch of our heroes. I remember standing there on the factory floor, close to the wall of microwaves, meeting some of my pinball heroes like John Borg, Lonnie Ropp, George Gomez when in walked Lyman Sheats. Being a computer nerd myself, I was starstruck: There was the programmer of so many great titles, including Gn'R, NF, MB, MM and AFM! Well, turns out he was also the most down to earth guy you could imagine. Almost to the point of shy. We chatted about pinball rules and coding, so cool. And he had a great sense of humor too. For the Expo Charity Auction, my friend Ryan Claytor and I had this one-of-a-kind unique "Pinside Troll Edition" t-shirt made and I was super stoked to see Lyman make the winning bid on it After that Expo, we e-mailed a few more times, discussing all kinds of stuff, including a possible new method to calculate a Pinside Top 100 list. Nerd stuff. Due to the amount of work involved, I never got around to implement these ideas, but when I eventually do it will be a tribute to him.

Man, I'm devastated by this news and wish his family and loved ones all the best dealing with this loss.

#175 2 years ago

RIP

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#176 2 years ago
Quoted from EalaDubhSidhe:

Lyman was the George Harrison of pinball. You had the Johns and Pauls as the designers, the face of the games, but it was Lyman, the George, that was the heart that made those games sing, that didn't get nearly enough credit, and who brought out the best in all the Ringos that also worked on the project.

Lyman was a HUUUUGE Rush fan - so I’d say he was the Neil Peart of pinball. Lyman’s unique “lyrics” and “beat” were what made his games special & stand out.

#177 2 years ago

Well, that was a shock. RIP from a fellow Massachusetts native. Never met him but have MMr at home. From the pictures, he always reminded me of another legendary guy, Boston College's Doug Flutie.

#178 2 years ago

Just heard so sad for his family and our community. R.I.P. Lyman

#179 2 years ago

Legend no doubt. Got to see him play IM in finals of MPE one year and it was something else.

#180 2 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

I don't think we will ever see the likes of Lyman in this hobby again. His dedication to his craft was truly unrivaled. You would think a game of his was done, and then years later a code update would come out of nowhere just to tweak a few things that had always bothered him.

He would even tweak things on games that weren’t his! I was on the phone with him one day & brought up some sound bugs that were in Family Guy - and he was like “oh let me take a look at it”. I just imagine him scanning green lines like the Matrix…suddenly he’s like “oh, here’s the problem!” Tap tap tap tap “Ok I fixed it!”.

So, for anyone who’s enjoyed the bug fixes on the unreleased Family Guy “home rom”, thank Lyman for that!

#181 2 years ago

Seriously, what the heck is going on? People are just being found "unresponsive" all over the place. Bob Saget? Something is very wrong and now we just lost one of our biggest heroes in Lyman. This is devastating, horrible news. Thoughts and prayers go out to his family and friends. Terrible day

#182 2 years ago

What a sad loss. All my best to his family and friends. A true legend. RIP Lyman.

#183 2 years ago

this is terrible. I just talked to him in email like a week ago. Sad news indeed. We will miss you Lyman.

#184 2 years ago

RIP Lyman. Huge loss for all.

Jack of all things pinball. Master of them all.

Condolences to the family.

#186 2 years ago

His pinball/arcade playing stance always captured my attention. Made me wonder if I was playing pinball wrong.

#187 2 years ago

How old was he? Didn't seem that old.

#188 2 years ago

Awful news, Lyman was one of the best coders in pinball history. Massive loss to the industry.

#189 2 years ago
Quoted from Hoteldrummer:

Seriously, what the heck is going on? People are just being found "unresponsive" all over the place. Bob Saget? Something is very wrong and now we just lost one of our biggest heroes in Lyman. This is devastating, horrible news. Thoughts and prayers go out to his family and friends. Terrible day

And meatloaf

#190 2 years ago

WTF??? I didnt even know that. WOW!!!!

#191 2 years ago

I'm speechless. I don't know what to even say. Thank you for all these wonderful stories, please keep them going. R.I.P Lyman

#192 2 years ago

Horrible loss.

#193 2 years ago

Wow, saddened to hear this. Had he been sick? This seems very sudden. Condolences to his family.

he will be remembered in his work and wonderful games.

Chris

#194 2 years ago

I had the pleasure of meeting Lyman at the 2017 ReplayFX in Pittsburgh. I had never met him before, but recognized him. I approached him awkwardly, explained he didn't know me but that I knew who he was and admired all the work he had done, especially on Monster Bash which we had in our company cafeteria.

He was totally cool about this lunatic stranger fawning over him for a few minutes, chatting and taking a few pictures. What a loss

#195 2 years ago

On the today show in 1993

#196 2 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

How old was he? Didn't seem that old.

I think he was 56

#197 2 years ago
Quoted from Hoteldrummer:

Unfortunately it just happens. 5 years ago I had a college friend, otherwise in healthy condition, die of a heart attack at 57. He was found unresponsive by his wife. Life is fragile and precious.

#198 2 years ago

I can't add to what so many others have said so beautifully in this thread. I'm stunned and heartbroken for Lyman's family and his many, many friends - here and beyond.

I will think of Lyman when I play Rush and smile about how much he would have loved it. I hope the coders will find some way to add a Lyman tribute.

I first met Lyman at Expo in 2011, and it really did feel like being in the same room as the most famous rock star or movie star or whatever, but as so many have described so well, he was utterly down to earth. And my goodness, could Lyman freaking play. Not even the glare of doom stood a chance against him.

Lyman vs Glare of Doom.jpgLyman vs Glare of Doom.jpg

At PAPA 15 he was arriving for bidness but took a moment to very kindly recognize and encourage my son, who knew exactly how legendary he was. Andrew took that vibe and went on to qualify second in Juniors.

Lyman and Andrew.jpgLyman and Andrew.jpg

My son and I are both devastated by this awful news. Lyman and Penni were inseparable when I saw them together. I am thinking about her now, and all of Lyman's family.

Thank you all for being so much better at expressing yourselves at times like this than I am.

#199 2 years ago

Man, this is hitting me hard. I played a little Lyman’s Lament which offered some consolation.

I am beyond grateful to be able to experience his genius in perpetuity.

56966AF0-B51C-460A-9DD3-4E73E6FFA239 (resized).jpeg56966AF0-B51C-460A-9DD3-4E73E6FFA239 (resized).jpeg
#200 2 years ago

One of my last text from Lyman, he reached out to me two days after my dad had passed while I was at the Chicago Pinball Convention end of October just months ago. I feel now is the right time to share this.  Lyman was considered by many in the Pinball community the greatest Pinball software coder this generation. Sadly the news came today that Lyman passed away. God bless you Lyman  RIP ❤️

B7711C95-F541-46B1-A7F9-7F46CC2A3A8A (resized).pngB7711C95-F541-46B1-A7F9-7F46CC2A3A8A (resized).pngD0168E1A-1AA2-486D-94A9-51466F99905C (resized).jpegD0168E1A-1AA2-486D-94A9-51466F99905C (resized).jpeg
Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 100.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 68.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 9.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 130.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Docquest Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 25.75
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 1,499.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Paradise Distribution

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Machine - For Sale
Nashville, TN
10,950 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Houston, TX
$ 12.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 1,075.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Orange County Pinballs

$ 200.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Led Pinball

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 18.95
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

There are 736 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 15.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/rip-lyman/page/4 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.