20220220_132543 (resized).jpg
20220220_140315 (resized).jpg
5A10B76D-03E5-4E08-B226-C4D3382EA190 (resized).jpeg
C3CCD364-7920-4F2A-AC01-77C1EF9A7861 (resized).jpeg
149631C9-8B64-4775-8E13-0A98C77D9C75 (resized).jpeg
pasted_image (resized).png
index (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

5 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 736 posts in this topic. You are on page 10 of 15.
#451 2 years ago

Shame a guy has to die before all these stories immerge of great personal experiences. Maybe you guys should start appreciation threads for living legends like Steve Richie, Pat Lawler, Dennis Nordman, Barry Oursler...etc. Maybe the guys themselves will get a kick out of reading them.

#452 2 years ago

Thank you Lyman! I’ve enjoyed and will continue to enjoy your creations. R.I.P. and may your family find peace.

#453 2 years ago

Rest In Peace sir.

#454 2 years ago

Wow! What a gem! Love it.

Quoted from thedarkknight77:

One of the greatest Pinside posts ever! RIP Lyman

#455 2 years ago
Quoted from bigehrl:

Back when i owned Reciprocal Skateshop in the E.village of Manhattan, I used to run a tournament called Pinferno. We did it every year or so. So in, or around 2011, His wonderful girlfriend Penni, whom many of you probably know, was still living in NYC and was a regular face there, playing almost daily. Lyman flew in for one of the tournaments, both to compete and to spend time with her. So, rewind maybe 3 months or so before, I had just bought a NIB LOTR LE, which came with the authenticity certificate unsigned by Gary Stern. That's right, the signature line was left blank. As well, there was no goodie bag! I was like WTF?!? So i jokingly wrote an RGP Post reviewing the machine and insisting that Gary owes me his signature. In one line I asked "do you realize how many parent-less skate rats, asking for free-s&^t all day long, i have to put up with to earn $5000??". It never occurred to me that anyone at Stern would ever actually see it. Fast forward back to the day of the tournament, and Lyman walks into the shop. We're all mesmerized. We were looking at, and about the play against THE LYMAN SHEATS!!! The guy who did the code on Spider-Man!! So first he hands me a Spidey translight, because he knew it was one of my favorite games. It included a very nice message written on it, which i proudly still have today. Then he pulls out a LOTR goodie bag, and a new certificate with Gary's signature on it, and says "Gary says this is for you, and he wants to know.. exactly how many skate-rats DO you have to put up with to earn $5000?!?"
RIP Lyman. And we love you Penni, and are here for you in any and every way.
Here's the original RGP post from 11 years ago:-------------------------------------------------------
so it's been a good few weeks since i purchased a nib lotr le, and
tore it open like it contained the answers to life and beyond. i
figured i'd wait to judge how i felt about the purchase, and see,
after it all settled in, if i got what i paid for...
i know this topic has been poured over by several emotional buyers
already, but i'm not angry, and i'm not excited, i'm just going to
call it like i see it.
pros:
- the seller was awesome, and great to deal with (not stern's doing)
- the cardboard box it came in, seemed custom tailored, in size, to
the machine.
- it has a lotr playfield.
- it came with pinballs, so you can use the product.
- my cats love to lay on the backbox, just like every other machine
(also, not stern's doing).
- i truly respect stern, and the fact that they still make machines.
someone's gotta do it, so it's really better than nothing.
cons:
- it cost 5g's
- the ring magnet coil fuse was either blown, from factory, or blew
the moment i turned the game on.
- the side art is so pixelated, you have to either stand 25 ft back,
or squint really hard to make it out.
- the gold side rails are screaming, 'please don't touch me if you
want me stay looking this way!!'
- penis on the backglass? eh, i can live with that.
- stern ran out of figurines. let me repeat that, stern.. ran.. out..
of.. figurines! what?? if the halal cart outside my shop ran out of
lamb, they would stop selling gyros. they wouldn't hand me a pita and
tomatoes, and tell me to go to a farm and slaughter my own.
- the goodie bag was, wait... what goodie bag?
- the manual looked photocopied. i guess the company that made the
figurines, also made the manuals.
- and the real kick in the hairdick!?? the certificate that came with
it, was not signed by you gary. it was a blank signature line. i mean,
c'mon! seriously?? i forked over all this hard earned cash to buy this
collector edition item, and you forgot to sign the one piece of paper
that can salvage all the cost-cutting this thing underwent? this thing
isn't going on location gary, so i'm not going to make this money
back. this is a present to myself. and yes, despite my ranting and
raving, i really appreciate what you and your company does, so i want
your autograph!
see, gary, i own a skateboard shop in nyc. do you realize how many
parent-less skate rats, asking for free-s&^t all day long, i have to
put up with to earn $5000?? trust me, it's alot! so when i make a
decision to drop serious coin on anything, i simply want what i paid
for. i don't have your private number or email, so i have to post
publicly.
so, gary stern, you owe me your signature....
let's do this... you have an open invite to come to the 'pinferno VI'
pinball tournament, which takes place all-day on saturday, feb. 12th,
2011 at reciprocal skateshop. there are 32 total spots going up for
grabs on monday, jan 12th at noon, and it usually fills in less than 2
days, so contact me ASAP. if you like, you can compete, or if you
prefer, just come have a few beers, hang out, and talk to some good
folks who truly love pinball. i'll have the certificate here, along
with a brand new fine tip pen waiting for your arrival. i'll even give
you a brand new, complete skateboard for the road. i'm sure you have
kids, nephews/nieces, or just know someone who loves skateboarding.
it's a win-win!
email me, and i'll let you know flight options.
p.s. bring lyman
thanks for keeping it alive, and listening to criticism.
-jon - reciprocal nyc

What a wonderful story . I feel quite emotional after reading this. What a true inspiration lyman was ❤️

#456 2 years ago

I’m stunned… got to hang with him a few times. Nice dude. Never got to play him in a game. But had some drinks with him. Such a beast in the nerd world. He revived my passion in computing, and led me to be a better player. Rest sir, we will remember your journey.

#457 2 years ago
Quoted from Charles_Kline:

I don’t have any Lyman games in my lineup yet so I went to the local bowling alley and played a few games of this.

Get one..quick.

Worst trade ever.
My HUO 1st OOB owner Metallica for a Munsters.
-Give Lyman a good laugh in the afterlife-

#458 2 years ago

The King of the realm.

I was always in awe of his creativity. The way he was able to see pinball to me, is the same way that Jordan and Gretzky saw the game. He was truly the GOAT.

Played MM and AFM last night so I could appreciate his work.

Such a loss here. He seemed like a really awesome dude.

Rest in peace legend.

#459 2 years ago

Legacy, legend. Those are words mostly used to describe old men or women, not a 55 year old. Thank you for what you gave us in your short time.

#460 2 years ago

What a week. Between this and H. Alexander Dumble passing away - two of my life's passions have lost THE zen masters that truly changed everything and created masterpieces that cannot be equaled.

RIP and condolences to Lyman's friends and family. Hopefully there is a PAPA in the afterlife that just welcomed back its greatest champion.

#461 2 years ago
Quoted from mookoz:

I first met Lyman in 1993 when he was one of the first (if not THE first) internet nerds to step through the looking glass and work for the manufacturers instead of bitch about them on rec.games.pinball. He snuck me into the Data East factory for a tour before I ever thought about joining the business.
We both landed at Williams at exactly the same time in the winter of 1994. Both kind of strangers to the maelstrom that was Williams pinball engineering but he adapted way quicker than I did. We had a lot of good memories both in and out of work during those years. I remember helping him jumpstart his car on California avenue after the blizzard of 1999 and I was pretty sure he had spent the entire weekend in the office working on Revenge From Mars. He never said a thing about it.
He was a quiet, modest genius when it came to pinball engineering and none of us could have ever been able to approach the time, love, and care he put into everything he did. It was one thing to watch him play, it was another to look over his work and how he handled his craft. Both were humbling.
The way he'll live on in my memory is the one afternoon we were playing a game together at the bottom of the stairs at 3401 N California. That was where new games got tested before the street and Lyman would regularly spend hours kicking the shit out of the machines, figuratively and literally. If your game was worth playing the coin door would be dented from Lyman kicking it in frustration to trigger the slam tilt (also known as a 'programmer's reset').
We had finished a game - and it wasn't a great one - and he was entering his initials but messed up the S in LFS. It entered as LFT. Lyman joked that this was "Lefty", his alter ego that sucked at pinball. It became a running joke at some point and when I wrote him into the No Good Gofers HSTD table that's how he wanted to be listed. I'd like to think he wasn't poking fun at the game but at himself.
This has been a devastating shock to all of us that ever knew him or worked with him on a daily basis. Lefty will be sorely missed.
[quoted image]

thank you for sharing Louis.

#462 2 years ago
IMG_1417 (resized).jpegIMG_1417 (resized).jpeg
#463 2 years ago

I didn't know Lyman well, I had met him a couple times and been to a group dinner with him, and we corresponded by email occasionally. He was always super nice and engaging and interested in others. I don't have any crazy stories but here is a mini-story I thought was interesting.

On TWIP I used to do an "interview" called Around the Playfield with _____, a very low key laid back format that had no personalized hard hitting questions, just stuff like "what is your favorite pinball machine" and "how did you get into pinball" and questions like that. I ended up doing a bunch of them with a lot of different folks in pinball.

Only ONE person had any revisions to his/her answers - Lyman. He sent me responses, then the next day said he reviewed them and sent me version 2. Then the next day he said he reviewed them again and sent me "V3", which at that point he said "I promise, now, like the code for Walking Dead, it is done Done DONE!"

We joked about all the changes he kept making, and he shared that he tweaked the HORDE mode on TWD a bunch too to get it right (one of my favorite modes in all of pinball). I felt like it was an insight into his perfectionist tendencies with his code. Just a cool nerd-out moment for me in the hobby. RIP Lyman.

#464 2 years ago
Quoted from pin2d:

I didn't know Lyman well, I had met him a couple times and been to a group dinner with him, and we corresponded by email occasionally. He was always super nice and engaging and interested in others. I don't have any crazy stories but here is a mini-story I thought was interesting.
On TWIP I used to do an "interview" called Around the Playfield with ____, a very low key laid back format that had no personalized hard hitting questions, just stuff like "what is your favorite pinball machine" and "how did you get into pinball" and questions like that. I ended up doing a bunch of them with a lot of different folks in pinball.
Only ONE person had any revisions to his/her answers - Lyman. He sent me responses, then the next day said he reviewed them and sent me version 2. Then the next day he said he reviewed them again and sent me "V3", which at that point he said "I promise, now, like the code for Walking Dead, it is done Done DONE!"
We joked about all the changes he kept making, and he shared that he tweaked the HORDE mode on TWD a bunch too to get it right (one of my favorite modes in all of pinball). I felt like it was an insight into his perfectionist tendencies with his code. Just a cool nerd-out moment for me in the hobby. RIP Lyman.

So many of my favorite "pinball moments" are because of the sheer genius of this legend.

Battle for the Kingdom in MM, Rule the Universe in AFM, Horde and Last Man Standing in TWD, and the list goes on...

The first wizard mode I ever reached and beat was Battle for the Kingdom, and it to me the standard to which all wizard modes should aspire to be.

I remember beating it, and running around my gameroom doing literal victory laps like a total nerd.

He knew how to deliver and unforgettable pinball experience. He's the one and only pinball God.

#465 2 years ago

Fav moment seeing Lyman playing from 2014 at the epic Chicago Expo Show TBL party …

Thank you Lyman for your talent and kindness

D928BDE6-F565-417F-B372-9D0B0680A3C9 (resized).jpegD928BDE6-F565-417F-B372-9D0B0680A3C9 (resized).jpeg
#466 2 years ago

Absolute Trailblazer. Lyman was the very first to my recollection to be a very high level player that understood every aspect of pinball. Very analytical and made rule sets that were unquestionably a joy to play. He made some good games great and some great games legendary. He also was a wonder family man and devoted husband. He will be greatly missed. RIP LFS!!

#467 2 years ago

Truly, one of the great ambassadors of pinball.
Be at peace Lyman Sheets.

#468 2 years ago

Oh damn. Never even had a chance to meet him. Guess I’m playing MB today instead of Godzilla. Thank you legend for your pinball and humanity.

#469 2 years ago

Such a loss! Never had the opportunity to meet him but almost feels like I knew him through his wonderful work.
Wish you the best on your next adventure Lyman.

#470 2 years ago
Quoted from bigehrl:

Back when i owned Reciprocal Skateshop in the E.village of Manhattan, I used to run a tournament called Pinferno. We did it every year or so. So in, or around 2011, His wonderful girlfriend Penni, whom many of you probably know, was still living in NYC and was a regular face there, playing almost daily. Lyman flew in for one of the tournaments, both to compete and to spend time with her. So, rewind maybe 3 months or so before, I had just bought a NIB LOTR LE, which came with the authenticity certificate unsigned by Gary Stern. That's right, the signature line was left blank. As well, there was no goodie bag! I was like WTF?!? So i jokingly wrote an RGP Post reviewing the machine and insisting that Gary owes me his signature. In one line I asked "do you realize how many parent-less skate rats, asking for free-s&^t all day long, i have to put up with to earn $5000??". It never occurred to me that anyone at Stern would ever actually see it. Fast forward back to the day of the tournament, and Lyman walks into the shop. We're all mesmerized. We were looking at, and about the play against THE LYMAN SHEATS!!! The guy who did the code on Spider-Man!! So first he hands me a Spidey translight, because he knew it was one of my favorite games. It included a very nice message written on it, which i proudly still have today. Then he pulls out a LOTR goodie bag, and a new certificate with Gary's signature on it, and says "Gary says this is for you, and he wants to know.. exactly how many skate-rats DO you have to put up with to earn $5000?!?"
RIP Lyman. And we love you Penni, and are here for you in any and every way.

Guys like you pay this stuff forward......

I came into reciprocal years ago when I was in the city for a few days and you didn't know me at all but still spent a bunch of time schooling me on Black Rose and showing me the rest of your games even though it was busy.

Tons of good people in the hobby and it sucks when any leave.

#471 2 years ago

Wow, Lyman was watching over me. Played a few games off MB in his honor and first time ever making it to Monsters of Rock, and finished up with double my previous gc score! Thank you legend.

B6432E1B-A69C-4EB9-8D8E-73BA6AF3FB60 (resized).jpegB6432E1B-A69C-4EB9-8D8E-73BA6AF3FB60 (resized).jpeg
#472 2 years ago

Great video with Jack Danger and Lyman

#473 2 years ago
Quoted from chickenscratch:

Wow, Lyman was watching over me. Played a few games off MB in his honor and first time ever making it to Monsters of Rock, and finished up with double my previous gc score! Thank you legend.
[quoted image]

Nice!

#474 2 years ago

We will miss you Lyman and always remember everything you have done for the community

#475 2 years ago

When I was joining the pinball horde in 2014 one of the first industry names I kept hearing was "Lyman Sheets". And it seemed each time the context was different: as a god-tier player, a coder, an enthusiast rep... wait so are these people talking about the same person? It struck me as odd yet wonderful that yes indeed, this person was a jack of all trades and a humble human to boot!

I think I crossed paths with him a time or two without realizing it at the time, but his face and that stance were certainly familiar. As I consider myself a "nobody" I don't ascribe to celebrity or bug those who've achieved that status... but it's so great to see and read all these rememberances of him as a "normal, humble, everyday dude.... who happened to be a god of pinball". What an inspiration. Had I met him more recently I would have gladly thanked him. Guess I need to pour one out in his honor ASAP.

RIP Good Sir...

#476 2 years ago

I first met Lyman shortly after he was crowned the PAPA 3 champ ...

March 1993, American Coin Machine Expo: It was my first time at a trade show with a game I worked on - the debut of Twilight Zone, a year after Pat Lawlor's The Addams Family had set an industry sales record. Williams Electronics Games had The World's Greatest Pinball Player in the booth to help demonstrate the game. Excitement was high.

I wish I had a photo of Lyman at the show, with his signature playing stance, wearing a helmet that had a small video camera strapped to it streaming a Lyman's eye view of the action on big TVs in the booth. (I think the helmet was abandoned rather quickly for either comfort or technical reasons.) Pat was next to the game with a microphone, talking up the features, and instructing Lyman to make various shots to light the Powerfield or load the Gumball Machine or whatever. The demonstrations, which drew crowds every time, ended with Lyman lighting Lost in the Zone via a cheat we had programmed in the game, and shooting the Piano to play the wizard mode.

Lyman was offered his choice of Twilight Zone, Creature from the Black Lagoon, or Dracula for his efforts. I was disappointed when he told me he chose CFTBL because he already had TAF, and "the games are so similar". (As I recall, he did eventually buy a TZ for his collection.)

Spring 1993, Williams Electronics Games: Not long after the show, Lyman interviewed with me to join the software team at Williams - I had recently been promoted to manager of the department - and I made the mistake of vastly underestimating his drive and technical ability, didn't offer him a job, and he snagged a position at Data East. (I swear that his choice of CFTBL over TZ had nothing to do with my decision.) About a year and a half later, Lyman and I had a conversation where I was able to recover from my earlier bungle and bring him on at Williams.

As a first task to get him familiar with the WPC development environment, I suggested that Lyman whip up the code for a Demolition Man Home ROM. John Hey had recently cut a version of the sound ROMs with team-specific custom speech plus some PG-13 clips from the movie, so I handed the ROMs to Lyman to install in the DM game next to his desk. About 10 minutes later, I heard a loud POP and looked over to see a wisp of vapor rising above Lyman's spot. Went over to discover that he had plugged the ROMs in backward (which is a very easy error to make, because the chips on the DCS sound board are oriented opposite of all the chips on the other boards in the backbox). The reversed chips apparently overtaxed the power supply on the board, causing the filter capacitors to heat up and blow their tops off. It was quite impressive. I'm probably making this up, but I may have said something like "Well, Lyman, you've got no where to go from here but up." And up he went.

(Photos from pinGame journal, April/May 1993.)

lyman1 (resized).jpglyman1 (resized).jpglyman2 (resized).jpglyman2 (resized).jpg
#477 2 years ago
Quoted from check_switch_26:

Lyman was offered his choice of Twilight Zone, Creature from the Black Lagoon, or Dracula for his efforts. I was disappointed when he told me he chose CFTBL because he already had TAF, and "the games are so similar". (As I recall, he did eventually buy a TZ for his collection.)

Wow, we were just taking about those games a few weeks ago.

51A52B57-9233-48AF-B7B7-51B5EDA92D04 (resized).png51A52B57-9233-48AF-B7B7-51B5EDA92D04 (resized).png
#478 2 years ago

Spent a couple of hours playing his masterpieces at my local spot.
Metallica
TWD
Monster Bash
Batman
AFM
MM
EHOH

My METLE was my introduction Into the hobby and that's where I learned about the genius named Lymon Sheats. Thank you sir...

20220122_143251 (resized).jpg20220122_143251 (resized).jpg20220122_150729 (resized).jpg20220122_150729 (resized).jpg

#479 2 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Wow, we were just taking about those games a few weeks ago. [quoted image]

Damn Lyman, I enjoy the TZ soundtrack!!!
At the local league bar in Albany TZ is a monster on location.

#480 2 years ago

With Lyman, it didn’t matter how many mediocre “easy pass” games came out, you always knew at some point in the future a Lyman game was coming out and it was going to be brilliant.

#481 2 years ago
Quoted from cooked71:

With Lyman, it didn’t matter how many mediocre “easy pass” games came out, you always knew at some point in the future a Lyman game was coming out and it was going to be brilliant.

"In Lyman we trust"

#482 2 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Wow, we were just taking about those games a few weeks ago. [quoted image]

Love reading how much he was as much a collector/hobbyist as well as a player and coder. It wasn’t just a job. Clearly he loved pinball as much as we do. Combined with his incredible talent for playing and coding, that’s what came through in his games. He wanted to create a game he would want to play.

#483 2 years ago
Quoted from check_switch_26:

About 10 minutes later, I heard a loud POP and looked over to see a wisp of vapor rising above Lyman's spot. Went over to discover that he had plugged the ROMs in backward (which is a very easy error to make, because the chips on the DCS sound board are oriented opposite of all the chips on the other boards in the backbox). The reversed chips apparently overtaxed the power supply on the board, causing the filter capacitors to heat up and blow their tops off.

He actually told me this exact story two weeks ago after I picked up some updated PIC chips for Cactus.

He was showing me how to do it correctly on his machine and warned me that bad things could happen if I did it wrong on my machine when I got home.

#484 2 years ago
Quoted from cooked71:

Love reading how much he was as much a collector/hobbyist as well as a player and coder. It wasn’t just a job. Clearly he loved pinball as much as we do. Combined with his incredible talent for playing and coding, that’s what came through in his games. He wanted to create a game he would want to play.

Yeah, and he was really open to suggestions & would implement stuff if you asked nicely (and if he agreed with the ideas lol). I’m trying to remember which things I suggested that he implemented.

On Spider-Man, I asked if he could make the shaker FX sync with the DMD footage/sound of Sandman falling apart. Originally there was just a long rumble when you defeated him. Lyman liked the idea, so he put in the “boom..boom..BOOOOOOMMMM” shaker effect that’s in there now. I think he even put some flasher shows there, too - it’s been a while since I played, I forget.

On Metallica I had 2 requests. On the Prem/LE, sometimes the magnet is flakey & doesn’t sense the ball when you hit the captive ball. So, I asked if he could make it so captive ball hits count toward the next lock if the magnet doesn’t grab the ball. He put it in as an option. I also asked if he could add a ball save to the Crank It Up modes, as I got super pissed when I qualified CIU & then drained right away…he also put that in as an optional setting.

#485 2 years ago

Makin' points up high in the big blue sky!

Polish_20220122_193319906 (resized).pngPolish_20220122_193319906 (resized).png

#486 2 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Yeah, and he was really open to suggestions & would implement stuff if you asked nicely (and if he agreed with the ideas lol). I’m trying to remember which things I suggested that he implemented.
On Spider-Man, I asked if he could make the shaker FX sync with the DMD footage/sound of Sandman falling apart. Originally there was just a long rumble when you defeated him. Lyman liked the idea, so he put in the “boom..boom..BOOOOOOMMMM” shaker effect that’s in there now. I think he even put some flasher shows there, too - it’s been a while since I played, I forget.
On Metallica I had 2 requests. On the Prem/LE, sometimes the magnet is flakey & doesn’t sense the ball when you hit the captive ball. So, I asked if he could make it so captive ball hits count toward the next lock if the magnet doesn’t grab the ball. He put it in as an option. I also asked if he could add a ball save to the Crank It Up modes, as I got super pissed when I qualified CIU & then drained right away…he also put that in as an optional setting.

Ok, if it's true what you say about the Met CIU mode ball save, I thank you, as well as Lyman!

#487 2 years ago

He was such a good ambassador for pinball. I loved his work and loved to talk with him about pinball. It is sad to see him go. I do take solace that whenever we work on one of his games his spirit remains.

RIP - With respect, the crew from Pinball Alley.

#488 2 years ago

I don’t think I’ve ever seen Pinside unanimous on anything before, which says a lot about Lyman the extraordinary coder, player and contributor to pinball.

But more importantly, about Lyman the person.

Tonight I’m going to play the hell out of my AFM (while listening to Bat Out Of Hell)

#489 2 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Both of those are almost game changers. I’m pretty sure on current code they’re default, not options. Thank you both.

#490 2 years ago

Thank you. I was reminded of this 3 times tonight as I played my MET.
Good on you to make the request, and fantastic on his part for being so receptive as to add it.

Very cool story.

#491 2 years ago
Quoted from cooked71:

Both of those are almost game changers. I’m pretty sure on current code they’re default, not options. Thank you both.

Oh, yeah it might be the default, but I think you can change it back to the previous way if you want.

#492 2 years ago

Like everyone else I'm stunned by this news. I met and chatted with Lyman at a couple of tournaments over the years, very cool dude.

From a professional standpoint his work ethic was the lone bright light in the dark ages of Stern's cost-cutting approach to BOM and unfinished code, quickly moving onto the next game while owners ranted in endless Pinside threads. Thing is, if Lyman owned the code for a game, he would work on it nights and weekends to fix bugs and tweak rules, even while he worked on "the next game." That was legendary commitment to his craft, giving buyers the utmost confidence in pre-ordering his games. It was a different than if he was one of several coders. His world class playing skills was also a large part of this success and commitment.

My dream theme was Metallica, and before the game was ever announced I was literally debating whether or not to pull the trigger if Lyman wasn't on the code but the heavens aligned and it didn't matter that I was out of cash, it was a no-brainer. I have at least 3 other machines with his name on them, and no plans on them going anywhere.

This hits harder than most because he was young... that perpetual reminder of our mortality. RIP

#493 2 years ago

One thing that maybe makes this truly awful & upsetting news slightly more bearable is all the wonderful stories being told about what a truly great human being Lyman was on top of the obvious pinball talent.

I would like to share a small tale also about a chance encounter a few years back..

Rewind to March 2013.. I am on one of my USA Chicago trips to work on Zidware games (Magicgirl, BHZA, Space Mission X) with John. (Turned out later to be my last one..) One day we go out to get some lunch. Eric(@epthegeek) is also over for the day, helping us with code. We drive in to the parking lot and as we are pulling in, a car drives past with the window down and a 'Hi John..' shouts out across the tarmac. Its Lyman Myself and Eric are both in ore of the great coder. Did we really just see Lyman drive by??

We get out and go in to the place to get some food, chatting about what the chances of that was and how much we love the guy for all his great work. After we finish we come out of the building and are heading back across the parking lot to the car, when a car drives back past us again, window down and another shout across the road. "I'm Not Stalking You!!..." . Its Lyman again heading back after getting whatever he was shopping for. What are the chances??

John waves and he pulls in to the parking lot and gets out for a chat. All 4 of us then stand in the middle of the parking lot chatting about pinball, williams, stern, modern & old games etc. I must admit I did not say alot, i was in shock at what was happening and really just wanted to hug the guy and say you are the best!!!, but i just stood and listened!!! Was one of the best random events to ever happen to me.

He was talking about enjoying go back to work for Stern (i think there had been a break after spidey/batman, before ac/dc/star trek etc) and that he had only gone back on the promise for working with Steve directly on future games

It was a really great day RIP x

#494 2 years ago

I know I shouldn't ask.. but since he died at such a young age, I can't help but to be curious what took him. And I mean this with the upmost respect.

Either way, we lost an amazing man... one that EVERYONE here agreed was the BEST at what he did... uncontested. That's something to be said!! He will be remembered every time I push the start button on several of his games that are bolted to my floor!

Still in shock....

#495 2 years ago

I'm really touched by all the personal stories and how accessible he was. It's one thing to be touched by his work, but story after story here is about the connection to the person he was.

#496 2 years ago

I was fortunate to be one of the first people in the UK to be able to get to grips with AC/DC Pro before it went into wide release, at the main amusement trade show early in that year. Early forum opinions had predominantly been to look at the playfield and dismiss it, saying 'oh, it's just another T2, you can see how everything's been reused and where'. I had the pleasure of going back to those same VP forums and telling them "I've played it and you are ALL talking out of your arses", and as much as it was Steve's game, and though the animations were still very incomplete, that was down to Lyman.

#497 2 years ago

Condolences to Lyman's family, friends, workmates and community. I'm thankful to have the ability to experience him through their stories, pictures and videos.

https://pinballvideos.com/p/lyman-sheats attempts to provide a timestamp in tournaments where Lyman was playing.

Lyman on pinvid (resized).jpgLyman on pinvid (resized).jpg
#498 2 years ago

I feel I hardly knew Lyman although I knew him for decades. He was a very complicated and multi-faceted person.

I say that even though numerous times we had long conversations about everything. There were several spurts of time when daily he would stop by my office to chat. We would talk about how to write better C++, finances and Sports Illustrated swimsuit models. Strangely we rarely talked about pinball.

Lyman and I used to joke about how we were following each other. During the development of Revenge from Mars we worked in neighboring offices. We both got laid off in 1999. I went to STERN and then he came back to STERN into the office next door. I got laid off in 2008 and went back to Williams. It was now called WMS. About a year later he left Stern and came to work in the same studio I was in in the next cubicle over. He then left WMS to go back to STERN and I followed a few years later.

Over time, during my career, I learned who the really great people were in pinball; who were the largest influencers. I was fortunate to have a ring-side seat as I watched Lyman move to the very top of that short list. It's an understatement that he will be greatly missed.

#499 2 years ago

Trivia - anybody know Lyman’s middle name? I have always used F’ng and wonder if he had added it for humor. It is probably something boring like Franklin or Frances but maybe not? Anybody know or have a believable guess?

#500 2 years ago
Quoted from jeffspinballpalace:

Trivia - anybody know Lyman’s middle name? I have always used F’ng and wonder if he had added it for humor. It is probably something boring like Franklin or Frances but maybe not? Anybody know or have a believable guess?

Probably not F'ing, since his father, Lyman F. Sheats Sr, who preceded him in death in 2004, ostensibly would have had the same middle name.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 8.99
Cabinet - Other
Inscribed Solutions

9,300 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Sacramento, CA
$ 14.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Cabinet - Other
Inscribed Solutions

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
PWM Designs

$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 18.95
$ 24.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 27.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 24.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 10,499.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

Machine - For Sale
Bristow, VA
$ 8.95
$ 17.50
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Haus

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

Machine - For Sale
Brighton, CO
$ 163.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 16.00
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

There are 736 posts in this topic. You are on page 10 of 15.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/rip-lyman/page/10?hl=rockfordreplay and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.