Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 25 posts
  • 14 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by fosaisu
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

bc3b3-priversconfused (resized).jpg
    Soul Rebel (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider ZooDude.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 2 years ago

The upsetter has left the building. Death to all vampires!
    What a musical genius, the god father of hip hop, invented dub, used "sound effects" before the term was even coined, just one of the most interesting people to ever make music.
    Once waited for 4 hours for him to take the stage, then he played till the sun came up.
    Glad I got to witness his greatness. RIP Lee.
    B

#3 2 years ago

Wow, just no love here for one of the most influential musicians of all time. Way more important than Charlie Watts,I mean you wouldn't have Bob Marley without Lee Scratch, modern music owes it's soul to him full stop.
    Beastie boys had a song about him PHD Lee and put out one of his best albums.
    This guy recorded Paul McCartney, then tried to get him off the hook when he got busted with weed, burned down his own studio, so many crazy stories.
    I guess nobody here cared. Too bad, your loss.
    B

#9 2 years ago

Umm cool, looks like I struck a nerve there. I didn't trash charlie watts in any way, he was great, I loved the stones and I have huge respect for his support of jazz and jazz artists. Don't spend a lot of time worrying about what other dudes wear, but seems like you've got some opinions.
    I stand by my statement, Lee was more important than Charlie, sorry. Lee invented an entire genre of music. He "gave" Bob Marley reggae as a gift, wrote and produced all of Bob's early stuff, was the very first to do damn near everything in dub and hip hop, you may not like his style, fair enough, but he was hugely important, more so than Charlie Watts, sorry Charlie.

You seem to get pretty ruffled when someone has a different opinion as you, maybe online forums aren't healthy for you. I'm sorry you got booted, I don't mind you calling me names, I don't need everyone to agree with me in order to get along.

I didn't dirt anyone to praise someone else, I simply compared their legacies, I think that's fair. I didn't expect a parade, just was surprised by how little appreciation there was here, all I said was oh well too bad, but I guess that's not ok with you eh?

We'll excuuuuuse me.

B

Quoted from CrazyLevi:

You are petty and disgusting. I can't STAND people who can't praise one thing without trashing another and that's exactly what you are doing.
    You like Lee Scratch Perry? Great. Love you some Lee Scratch Perry. But to trash the legendary Charlie Watts and piss on his not yet even dug grave because not enough people here care is fucking gross. Lee was a super niche musician with a small but dedicated fanbase and you shouldn't be surprised Pinside isn't throwing him a parade, most people here probably don't even know who he is.
    Fuck off dude. Gross. Super gross. Like more disgusting than Lee "Scatch" Perry's hair. Dude looked like a homeless crack addict compared to the saville row suit sporting icon of fashion Charlie Watts!*
    *(see? Kinda lame ain't it?)

#12 2 years ago
    Quoted from Swainer80:

I didn't trash charlie watts in any way. . .
    . . .Way more important than Charlie Watts.[quoted image]

Ok, yeah, I should have said I didn't intend to trash him, I always forget how impossible it is to get across the correct tone in these damn forums.

#19 2 years ago
    Quoted from oPinsesame:

Never heard of Lee Scratch Perry. But sorry for your loss. Googled him. Won a Grammy even.
    Now can we talk about the loss of Tom T. Hall? He also won a Grammy and was one of my favorite country story-songwriters Not sure if anyone else started a thread but I think one or two replies here will suffice until someone else dies. I would like a poll, Lee Scratch Perry, Tom T. Hall, Charlie Watts, who was best?.

Start a thread, I'm sure lots of people would be interested to find out who Tom.T was I know I'm going to go look him up. Sounds interesting.
    I think the poll idea is silly, this had nothing to do with who was best, best at what? I think Charlie Watts was better on drums than Lee, Lee didn't even play drums. I'd bet ol TomT was better at writing country story songs than Lee Scratch. My point was Lee Scratch Perry made an indelible mark on music, he invented an entire genre, I guess I'm weird for thinking that's important. I'm fine with that.
    B

#21 2 years ago
    Quoted from fosaisu:

I'm with you on Lee Perry being an interesting and highly influential guy, and am always interested to learn more about musicians that I don't know a ton about. I get why you wish he was better recognized in the larger music-loving world. I even get why you'd be tempted to make a comparison to a musician like Watt, who was an accomplished drummer in an uber-famous (and highly influential) band, but ​wasn't also an influential producer of other people's music. Or even a larger "Which has been more influential on music overall, reggae or the Rolling Stones?" discussion.
    That said. As I think you've acknowledged, comparing your guy to another guy that just died seems a little tacky, and is bound to ruffle some feathers among the other guy's fans. And you're not new here, so it can't come as a surprise that there are 10x as many die-hard Rolling Stones fans on Pinside as there are dedicated reggae aficionados (even though most of us probably bought Legend in high school).

Pinside is strange, I'd do well to remind myself of that before I post.
    I don't get the whole " your guy" thing, what makes him my guy, because I said RIP? I don't understand taking pride in the accomplishment of others.
    I'm not surprised that there's more stones fans than Lee Scratch, just that he wasn't recognized here, I mean if you bought legend, you know his work.
    Lee scratch invented sampling, he IS recognized in the larger music loving world, so yeah, I thought a handful of people here would recognize that but it's ok that they didn't. I don't need anyone to agree with me. I hope everyone enjoys what they like and supports artists while they are alive.
    I think I'm done with this now.
    B

#24 2 years ago

yes, I get what you are saying fosaisu, he did write most of those songs too but you are not wrong. I also wanted to keep it light, but obviously failed. All good, Pinside you're strange in a good way too!
    B

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider ZooDude.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/rip-lee-scratch-perry-?tu=ZooDude and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.