(Topic ID: 260614)

R.I.P. Kobe Bryant

By dirtbag66

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20200127_200924 (resized).jpg
    20200127_200853 (resized).jpg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    US 2008 044 (resized).jpg
    US 2008 042 (resized).jpg
    US 2008 046 (resized).jpg
    IMG_1514 (resized).JPG
    IMG_1510 (resized).JPG
    IMG_1507 (resized).JPG
    IMG_1505 (resized).JPG
    IMG_1504 (resized).JPG
    20200126_202919 (resized).jpg
    KBNBAFB (resized).jpg
    Resized_Screenshot_20200126-132755_TMZ (resized).jpeg
    There are 108 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.
    #51 4 years ago

Just watched the actual video of the crash. Sad stuff! I wondered why the copter didn't come down softer.....side of a cliff....terrible explosion!

#52 4 years ago

Terrible loss

#53 4 years ago
    Quoted from Blitzburgh99:

I recall when he got caught running around with a bunch of women, then had to buy his wife a huge rock to keep his marriage together. And sexually assaulting hotel worker in Colorado. Made Homophobic slurs at a referee.

Dude, that's brutal. We're all sinners here. I'm not a basketball fan, and never even saw the man play, but nonetheless, this is a sad tragedy. It doesn't matter who you are, rich or poor, famous or obscure. We're all mortal. Going in a sudden and tragic way such as this is the worst way for those who admired and loved him. Can't you see that?

#54 4 years ago

The 24 second shot violations by the teams today was class move in my books.

Jimmy Kimmel interview recently where Kobe was talking about his daughter was very touching.

#55 4 years ago

Then there's this predictive clip from 2017 Comedy Central Chamberlain Heights cartoon:

#56 4 years ago
    Quoted from Shapiru:

Then there's this:

I honestly cant believe that they haven't banned you from this site permanently. You have absolutely nothing good to contribute to Pinside and you're a total nuisance.

#57 4 years ago
    Quoted from Who-Dey:

I honestly cant believe that they haven't banned you from this site permanently. You have absolutely nothing good to contribute to Pinside and you're a total nuisance.

You need to put your thinking cap on and turn off the Faux News. This cartoon was predictive programming for this crash.
    Also, kobe was no angel...

#58 4 years ago
    Quoted from Shapiru:

You need to put your thinking cap on and turn off Faux News. This cartoon was predictive programming for this crash.
    Also, kobe was no angel...

I dont even like Kobe. I dont like him or dislike him either one but you posting that was pretty classless. Pretty much every post that I have seen you make is classless. That's probably why you have a 29% thumbs up/down ratio. You're a very strange individual.

#59 4 years ago
    Quoted from Who-Dey:

I dont even like Kobe. I dont like him or dislike him either one but you posting that was pretty classless. Pretty much every post that I have seen you make is classless. That's probably why you have a 29% thumbs up/down ratio. You're a very strange individual.

So it doesn't cause you to pause and think a bit that there was this cartoon showing 2+ years ago what Kobe's fate would be?

Really? The alarm clock is ringing and you have missed the bus....

#60 4 years ago
    Quoted from Shapiru:

So it doesn't cause you to pause and think a bit that there was this cartoon showing 2+ years ago what Kobe's fate would be?

Let me know when the mothership lands.
    Take the blue pill Neo.

#61 4 years ago
    Quoted from Shapiru:

Not totally a Nostradamus moment. Kobe was well known to use his private helicopter to fly from his house to staples center to avoid the L.A traffic.

#62 4 years ago
    Quoted from Toasterdog:

Not totally a Nostradamus moment. Kobe was well known to use his private helicopter to fly from his house to staples center to avoid the L.A traffic.

Dude flying in a helicopter for 20 years... kinda like the probability of car accidents go up the more you drive.
    Your insurance goes down the less you drive.

Kinda like people who do particular jobs tend to die in related ways.

#63 4 years ago

During a work visit to the US in 2008 I went for a walk in Salt Lake City and noticed that that night the Utah Jazz were playing the LA Lakers. I had never been to an NBA match previously so bought a ticket and trundled along. Sat next to some great young NBA fans who helped me along with understanding the gameplay and generally being super helpful to a visitor. Took this shot of Kobe shooting in the last pic! It remains for me a memorable life experience. RIP Kobe and Gianna.

US 2008 042 (resized).jpgUS 2008 042 (resized).jpg

US 2008 044 (resized).jpgUS 2008 044 (resized).jpg

US 2008 046 (resized).jpgUS 2008 046 (resized).jpg

#64 4 years ago

I recall when he got caught running around with a bunch of women, then had to buy his wife a huge rock to keep his marriage together. And sexually assaulting hotel worker in Colorado. Made Homophobic slurs at a referee.

Hey guys, Centerflank is back and he upvoted this post.

Quoted from Pablito350:

Have a bit of class, sir. I can't imagine being in his wife's position, past digressions or not. That happened in 2003 and obviously they got through and past it. She lost one of her babies and her love. May I say, go fuck off.
    -Chrissi

Hey guys centerflank is back and he downvoted this post. Now some on here are nostalgic for Centerflank and are glad he is back. But I remember him to be a total douchebag and it seems he hasn’t changed. Hopefully that pipsqueek mma wannabe crawls back into his little hole.keep cheering for those “winning” Wisconsin teams buddy. LOL.

#65 4 years ago

The video of the crash that has been circulating on the interwebs is fake news . That’s a crash from Dubai .

#66 4 years ago

The pilot was traveling way too fast and way too low with poor visibility according to eyewitnesses. He should have relied more on his instruments and gained elevation to get above the low level fog.

#67 4 years ago

Was reading the weather conditions were horrible fog and many institutions like police forces grounded their helicopters before the crash due to poor conditions. Pilot was flying with visual ground position flight not instrument flight controls which involves air traffic control. Just sad.

#68 4 years ago
    Quoted from vicjw66:

The pilot was traveling way too fast and way too low with poor visibility according to eyewitnesses. He should have relied more on his instruments and gained elevation to get above the low level fog.

Was reading an article saying maybe the pilot got into the clouds and lost orientation and was likely descending to regain view of the ground and still moving 170 MPH rather than stop and descend slowly to get his bearings. Also it said you can’t just fly with instruments (high altitude) unless you are authorized and plugged into the air traffic. I other words once he started with visual flight path couldn’t just turn into instrument flight (high altitude flight).

http://nymag.com/intelligencer/2020/01/kobe-bryants-helicopter-likely-succumbed-to-common-danger.html

#69 4 years ago

Im not a B Ball fan but that sucks just the same. Imagine the fear while it was happening with his daughter there with him. I don't mind dying but I cant imagine being in something like that watching my daughter die with me. Terrible.

#70 4 years ago

it’s very sad to hear this news. It doesn’t seem real.

#71 4 years ago
    Quoted from zr11990:

Im not a B Ball fan but that sucks just the same. Imagine the fear while it was happening with his daughter there with him. I don't mind dying but I cant imagine being in something like that watching my daughter die with me. Terrible.

As a father of three boys,this is exactly what I thought about.Knowing your going to die so suddenly and your child is with you.

#72 4 years ago
    Quoted from romulusx:

As a father of three boys,this is exactly what I thought about.Knowing your going to die so suddenly and your child is with you.

They slammed into the side of a hill/mountain. I doubt there was more than a few seconds where anybody knew anything was wrong.

#73 4 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

They slammed into the side of a hill/mountain. I doubt there was more than a few seconds where anybody knew anything was wrong.

Well that is a good thing considering. It doesn’t help his wife and other two daughters though.

#74 4 years ago

As much as you want to think this tragedy is about you.... It's not. In fact, nothing is ever about you!

#75 4 years ago

Seriously? The rape charge was total bullshit. The other so what.

#76 4 years ago

Sad indeed,
    Do you think with a net worth of 600+ million he would have had life insurance?
    Just wondering if people with this kind of wealth would even bother with it.

#77 4 years ago
    Quoted from mcuzz:

Sad indeed,
    Do you think with a net worth of 600+ million he would have had life insurance?
    Just wondering if people with this kind of wealth would even bother with it.

600 mil, why would he need it?

#78 4 years ago
    Quoted from zr11990:

600 mil, why would he need it?

To get a bunch more millions.

#79 4 years ago

Helps the family lower the estate tax burden.

#80 4 years ago

Everything should go to his wife and there should be no estate tax

#81 4 years ago

Just heard some audio on FB and the radio of him celebrating back when the Eagles won the Super Bowl. He was a true Philly fan, even dropping some F bombs in there.

#82 4 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

You don’t know exactly what happened unless your Bran from GOT

#83 4 years ago

Was going pretty fast while low to the ground but was in VFR conditions sounds like.

#84 4 years ago
    Quoted from Bischt:

Was going pretty fast while low to the ground but was in VFR conditions sounds like.

Damn, that is just eerie.

#85 4 years ago

One of my vendors whom posts various little things on their home page had this today.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
    #86 4 years ago

This was caused by pilot error big time.

#87 4 years ago
    Quoted from jrpinball:

Dude, that's brutal. We're all sinners here. I'm not a basketball fan, and never even saw the man play, but nonetheless, this is a sad tragedy. It doesn't matter who you are, rich or poor, famous or obscure. We're all mortal. Going in a sudden and tragic way such as this is the worst way for those who admired and loved him. Can't you see that?

Only for the other people in the 'copter (Maybe. Likely his kid was probably the only one in there that hadn't done SOMETHING horrible and stupid.). Being mortal doesn't excuse poor choices, and neither does having money, fame, or fans.

https://deadspin.com/why-the-fuck-isnt-kobe-bryant-a-pariah-yet-1829494689

#88 4 years ago

Im going to say this and no more. Everyone is mourning a basketball player who was well known and entertained us. Who mourns for the soldier who gives his life for the country he loves and is sent to some stupid war that we have no business being in in the first place?

#89 4 years ago
    Quoted from zr11990:

Im going to say this and no more. Everyone is mourning a basketball player who was well known and entertained us. Who mourns for the soldier who gives his life for the country he loves and is sent to some stupid war that we have no business being in in the first place?

Who mourns the neighbor, the family member, the local business owner, the friend, etc., when they pass? Mostly those who knew them.

Everyone knew Kobe.

I get what you're saying, James, but his isn't the same and you know it.

#90 4 years ago

It’s a bummer but that pilot should have never been flying in that weather. VFR weather is 3sm and the pilot opted for a Special VFR Clearance that can reduce that minimum to 1SM. It’s designed to get you out of trouble if you get caught off guard in bad weather. Not for normal operations. That’s why the police helicopter was not flying. Tragic

#91 4 years ago
    Quoted from BrettC208:

It’s a bummer but that pilot should have never been flying in that weather. VFR weather is 3sm and the pilot opted for a Special VFR Clearance that can reduce that minimum to 1SM. It’s designed to get you out of trouble if you get caught off guard in bad weather. Not for normal operations. That’s why the police helicopter was not flying. Tragic

Also sounds like was flying very fast top speed 170 MPH (I'd assume it's safer to take it easy and slow down in such conditions like would while driving a car).

Not going to change anything but it's just something that seems very un necessary to me.

#92 4 years ago
    Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

Who mourns the neighbor, the family member, the local business owner, the friend, etc., when they pass? Mostly those who knew them.
    Everyone knew Kobe.
    I get what you're saying, James, but his isn't the same and you know it.

No, of course it isn't and Im not starting stuff. Im just saying that there are others who deserve to be mourned, maybe more so, and they aren't. We shouldn't forget about them.

#93 4 years ago

Just finished playing a game of NBA Showtime... the Shaq/Kobe line is still my favorite in the game.
    20200127_200853 (resized).jpg20200127_200853 (resized).jpg

20200127_200924 (resized).jpg20200127_200924 (resized).jpg
    #94 4 years ago
    Quoted from zr11990:

No, of course it isn't and Im not starting stuff. Im just saying that there are others who deserve to be mourned, maybe more so, and they aren't. We shouldn't forget about them.

Forget who?

#96 4 years ago

Pinside really sucks sometimes!

#97 4 years ago
    Quoted from zr11990:

Quit complaining and make a thread to honor all the fallen. Please add mini bios to it, please.

Sounds like a great idea you have there!

Make it happen!

#98 4 years ago

Someone always does the “what about the soldiers?!” Bit when a celebrity dies.

It’s sad when a soldier dies. It’s sad when anybody dies. Doesn’t mean people can’t spend a day or two mourning a public figure.

For most people, that’s what it is. Nothing like the months or years you spend thinking about someone you know, armed forces or not.

#99 4 years ago

This is tragic and seems like it could have been avoided by making a no go call for flying that day.

Hopefully this event can be used as a teaching tool and help prevent further instances like this.

#100 4 years ago

Has anyone said what happened. Was it pilot error or mechanical error or just poor visibility, I haven’t watched any news reports about it.

There are 108 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/rip-kobe-bryant/page/2?hl=zwovr6 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.