Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 60 posts
  • 40 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by Hawk007
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

There are 60 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
    #51 5 years ago
    Quoted from Hawk007:

Not a new thing. but squeaky wheel gets the grease so to speak. If no one says anything they will assume we are all ok with it thats all.

With Stern you have a lot of years to make up, start Squeaking. You got ST & GOT (diff'rent types) in the last...35 years?

Quoted from taz:

Frankly, I'm just fine with using software to take care of it and auto launching another ball instead. One less thing to fail or get skipped over occasionally.

Easily just code in a ball save if the kickback fails like JJP.

Quoted from Pahuffman:

I believe all/most of the premium and LE versions have physical kickbacks and the pro versions have virtual kickback to save on cost.

OK, name them!

#52 5 years ago
    Quoted from Hawk007:

Agreed chuck. But I include reliability in the 'more in the games' comment. lol Hard to beat W/B there too. The new stuff scares me.

BW games fuck up all the time. They need just as much maintenance as the newer games.

#53 5 years ago
    Quoted from Dkjimbo:

I don't have any problem with the "virtual kickback" approach however I will say that there has always been something fun and special when playing a game with a true kickback. Something about the fact that its THE SAME ball being physically rescued and shot back into play is exciting and fun! Having the ball drain and another one launch from the shooter lane completely and momentarily stalls gameplay and shatters any notion of it being the "same ball". many inexperienced players probably don't even realize that its the same ball in play. If it were an option I would always prefer a true outlane kickback.

For me this is what it comes down to. I don't particularly miss a kickback, but it's another thing that interacts with the ball physically. I prefer to watch the ball go to the left and see it shoot out from the left rather then a ball save and have it shoot out from the right.

But, as far as things to be concerned about I think this is low on my list. However, it seems like death from a 1000 cuts: kickbacks, mono-targets, ball locks, magnets, etc.. everything seems to be getting stripped out these days, sadly.

I'm waiting for a pin that has nothing on the playfield that actually interacts with the ball and just uses induction sensors under the playfield for scoring (patent pending). Then I'll rage!

#54 5 years ago
    Quoted from Frax:

Another valid reason for physical kickbacks to die in most cases...
    It's the most likely coil to lock on and you'll NEVER NOTICE it's burning up, because who the heck spends all their time looking at that corner? I've seen the stupid things melt down and fry transistors and the owners never even noticed it.

I literally just had a tech call to look at a Lethal weapon 3 last week - locked TIP 36 on the kickback... Snipped the transistor off, replaced the fuse, and everything came up roses (save the kickback, of course).

#55 5 years ago

I think every game should have a kickback, drop targets and a kick out hole.....just me....

#56 5 years ago
    Quoted from Hawk007:

The old board sets were rock solid unlike nowadays. Sigh. Time to find the wayback machine..

It may not be fair to compare now that B/W pins are 20-30 years old, but I have 10x as many problems with B/W boards as compared to stern at this point.. Other than spike, jury still out on them...

#57 5 years ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

BW games fuck up all the time. They need just as much maintenance as the newer games.

Well of course they do. Its a pinball machine after all but I am referring to the board set and serviceability . At least when they break you can fix them and parts are for the most part available.

#58 5 years ago
    Quoted from Beebl:

It may not be fair to compare now that B/W pins are 20-30 years old, but I have 10x as many problems with B/W boards as compared to stern at this point.. Other than spike, jury still out on them...

yes. But you can fix them. Try that with the new 'throw away' modern stuff. And its taken this long to go bad. Lets see the newer stuff last that long.
    I hope they do but I highly doubt it.

#59 5 years ago
    Quoted from Hawk007:

Well of course they do. Its a pinball machine after all but I am referring to the board set and serviceability . At least when they break you can fix them and parts are for the most part available.

Same for new games. They are all fixable. They don’t need to be replaced, they can be fixed. All new game board parts are widely available.

Just cause some here don’t know how to fix them, doesn’t mean they can’t be fixed. Did everyone know how to service SS games when they were first released? Nope. Give it time. People need to learn first.

#60 5 years ago

Not blanketing everything new as not fixable, just comparatively speaking. More and more of the modern stuff is becoming so complex that it becomes impractical or costly to repair as opposed to replacing it.

There are 60 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/rip-kickback/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.