Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 219 posts
  • 185 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by pb456
  • Topic is favorited by 10 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_2544 (resized).JPG
    IMG_2541 (resized).JPG
    Twinkies (resized).jpg
    IMG_1633 (resized).JPG
    Ken Layton and Drive in Projector (resized).png
    5777223798_a4f298f4fd_o (resized).jpg
    5777223626_d1001129d8_o (resized).jpg
    9BA39AC7-778A-4390-A965-10053E677698 (resized).jpeg
    kenlayton.jpg
    59997369-390A-4A8D-90E1-4DEBBDD20C73 (resized).jpeg
    pasted_image (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

2 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #199 Obituary Posted by SonicZone (2 years ago)

Post #202 Message from Ken's sister Posted by robin (2 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider clodpole.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#186 2 years ago

Dang it! He and I had been emailing each other when he got sick, and then he went silent. It worried me, 'cause Ken would answer any email with any question, and would always want to talk about which games he was working on.

It's going to be weird visiting Olympia without Ken to talk with.

#191 2 years ago

Whenever we'd visit Ken at the shop, he'd say "You haven't taken my picture". So we would.... Here's one from shortly before he died:

IMG_1633 (resized).JPGIMG_1633 (resized).JPG
    #193 2 years ago

You're welcome. You can see what a gentle guy he was, and how much he loved tinkering on old machines.

#197 2 years ago
    Quoted from DanQverymuch:

I wouldn't be surprised if his middle name was Alexander...
    Too obscure?

Yeah... at least for me. BTW, his middle name was Leroy.

1 week later
    #200 2 years ago

Thanks for the link! I learned a lot of stuff I didn't know about him from the obituary. Hopefully we'll be able to attend the celebration in the spring.

2 weeks later
    #207 2 years ago

I had a pleasant, hour-long conversation with Ken's sister last night. She's planning a "happy memories" celebration of Ken's life in the Spring. Ken has relatives in wintry mountain states who prefer to travel in warmer weather.

It's funny - Ken was enough of a multi-faceted guy that his sister and I surprised each other with "Ken stories" the other hadn't heard. For example: Ken really loved Twinkies!

His tribute get-together should be entertaining for those of us in the Northwest who can attend. She's planning on bringing some of Ken's prized trinkets along to spark conversation.

4 months later
    #211 2 years ago

If you happen to live in the N/W and want to attend Ken's celebration of life, it's going to occur in a couple of weeks:

"We will have a celebration of Ken's life on Saturday, April 23, 2022 at 1pm. It will be held at the Lacey Community Center at 6729 Pacific Ave SE, Lacey Wa 98503. Dress casually, face masks preferred."

There have been some unofficial observances already:

Twinkies (resized).jpgTwinkies (resized).jpg
    1 week later
    #213 1 year ago

Well, yesterday (4/24) was Ken's funeral/celebration of life. It was well attended, by 3 groups of people - several generations of family, a handful of pinball lovers and a big contingent of movie theatre owners and co-workers! It turns out Ken got his start in theatres before he got into pinball and arcade games.

The beginning of it all was a grade school behind-the-scenes tour of a local theatre, which inspired him to buy a copy of "The Boy Electrician". That led to student A/V responsibility, projection equipment maintenance work, etc.. By the time Ken was about 15, he had keys to all the theatres in town and was taking care of their equipment too.

He went on to be projectionist at several drive-in and indoor theatres, and the guys who showed up from those years told the funniest stories. They went past LOL to more like "Cough Something Up". Rather than rat Ken out here on the WWW, I'll just tell one anecdote. He had several big projectors in his apartment at all times, and set one up in his kitchen to project movies onto the back wall of the grocery store across the way.

He did pick up his first pinball machine about when he got out of high school, and his sister was still amazed that Ken made her and her brother put quarters in to play!

Here are two photos; one of a young Ken in the theatre biz, and one of his remains in the black urn. RIP, Ken, and thanks for all the help!

IMG_2541 (resized).JPGIMG_2541 (resized).JPGIMG_2544 (resized).JPGIMG_2544 (resized).JPG
    #215 1 year ago

That's a cool story. He seems to have floated in and out of a lot of our lives without seeming legendary at the time.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider clodpole.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/rip-ken-layton-?tu=clodpole and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.