Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 219 posts
  • 185 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by pb456
  • Topic is favorited by 10 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_2544 (resized).JPG
    IMG_2541 (resized).JPG
    Twinkies (resized).jpg
    IMG_1633 (resized).JPG
    Ken Layton and Drive in Projector (resized).png
    5777223798_a4f298f4fd_o (resized).jpg
    5777223626_d1001129d8_o (resized).jpg
    9BA39AC7-778A-4390-A965-10053E677698 (resized).jpeg
    kenlayton.jpg
    59997369-390A-4A8D-90E1-4DEBBDD20C73 (resized).jpeg
    pasted_image (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

2 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 219 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 5.
    #101 2 years ago
    Quoted from Coindork:

This is a huge loss for not only the pinball community, but the coin operated community in general.
    As other have stated, Ken was very active in the repair threads here and on other forums as well.
    The repair section on KLOV is filled with solid advice from him.
    His knowledge was extensive not only with pinball, but with other things like arcade games, juke boxes, EM games, change machines, bill acceptors (whatever) and he was always willing and helpful in sharing that knowledge with others.
    Thankfully quite a bit of that knowledge is preserved in his posts here and on other forums.
    Five or so years ago we were trying to fix a deflection board on an Atari Star Wars arcade game and found a thread where Ken had walked someone else through how to fix it.
    Without interjecting or resurrecting the thread we were able to fix my machine using the advice he had left for others.
    This has happened to me many times since where I search something and find his response to someone else on how to fix something.
    I feel like he will continue to help others for generations to come through the forum posts he's made.
    I'm 100% certain that in the future Ken will continue to help people like me and others fix our games as a lot of his knowledge is preserved and obtainable with forum searches.
    Although I never met him in person, he certainly made an impact on my life and helped me tremendously in this hobby fixing and maintaining my collection.

That about sums up my feelings, exactly. I would seek out posts that Ken had made on any issues similar to ones I was having, so as to not clutter the forums. And then when I did have to post on an issue, he would pop in with the exact solution. Very sad news.

#102 2 years ago

That's sad to hear, Rest in Peace Ken

#103 2 years ago

I couldnt sleep. I kept replying the conversations we have had....Especially when I started Comet 9 years ago, and the Focus was on LEDs.

His kindness, and Wisdom, helped me grow in the Hobby.

His passing makes me appreciate many here with endless Gratitude.

#104 2 years ago

RIP Ken. He was one of the last coinop OGs. I'm going to miss his "just the facts" attitude

#105 2 years ago

Sad news .... at the very least very peaceful!

Game Over!

RIP

#106 2 years ago

Terrible news. Condolences to his friends and loved ones.

I've always been amazed at the depth of Ken's advice when it came to even obscure topics. If someone was having an unusual problem with an even more unusual pinball machine part, I always expected the questions to be met with radio silence, but Ken would ALWAYS have an answer. His presence will be greatly missed.

#107 2 years ago

Sad news. Yep, Ken was one of the good guys. RIP.

#108 2 years ago

Thank you Ken for all your help. I'll miss your kindness here.

#109 2 years ago

Total bummer. Another person with great knowledge gone.

Hopefully flipping the great games in the heavens above.

#110 2 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

Threads around here are peppered with his helpful advice. I saw his posts all the time. He will be missed

Legend!

RIP

His input on system 1 games was invaluable when I first got into the hobby.

#111 2 years ago

Ugh. So sad to hear. Such a wealth of knowledge. The whole coin op community will certainly feel this loss. Thankfully Ken was kind enough to document his wisdom in various places all over the internet, so even though he is no longer with us his legacy will live on.

RIP, Ken. You will be missed.

#112 2 years ago

Darn, some good guys have been lost in 2021.

How old was Ken?

#113 2 years ago

I didn't know Ken personally but always appreciated his knowledge and willingness to help. Pinball needs more Ken Laytons. RIP.

#114 2 years ago

RiP Ken. Prayers for your family

#115 2 years ago

RIP Ken

It was always amazing to me that the guy who was so helpful here with Pinball was also the guy who was so helpful in KLOV and RGVAC with Vids.

#116 2 years ago

RIP Ken - you have certainly helped lots of people in this hobby. All the best to his family and friends.

#117 2 years ago

Holy crap. Out of all the deaths that have happened during my time on Pinside, this is the one that really stings for me. Ken was a big motivator for me to learn to fix my own games, and for me to tackle having a jukebox despite not knowing the first bloody thing about jukeboxes. Honestly, one of the best resources we had, and an absurd breadth of knowledge.

His stories about old drive-in stuff were always fantastic as well. This one really sucks. One of the few people that I don't think *anyone* hated on here.

#118 2 years ago
    Quoted from Frax:

Holy crap. Out of all the deaths that have happened during my time on Pinside, this is the one that really stings for me. Ken was a big motivator for me to learn to fix my own games, and for me to tackle having a jukebox despite not knowing the first bloody thing about jukeboxes. Honestly, one of the best resources we had, and an absurd breadth of knowledge.
    His stories about old drive-in stuff were always fantastic as well. This one really sucks. One of the few people that I don't think *anyone* hated on here.

I hate him for dying, does that count?

What a sad day, as many others have said, I didn’t interact directly with him very often, but felt as if I knew him well from always seeing his helpful advice blanketing this forum, and others.
    What a prolific guy! The man seemed to know just about everything, he had several lifetimes of knowledge and now he’s taken it home with him.

We’re truly blessed to have much of it preserved here on Pinside. As for the other forums, remember to screenshot and archive his advice, some of those other websites are so old it’s hard to guarantee their survival in the future!

#119 2 years ago

Terrible news Ken was one of the all time greats his knowledge helped me so many times over the years. R.I.P

#120 2 years ago

Oh no! He was always so helpful, seems like he was a nice guy. My condolences to his family!

#121 2 years ago

I'll just echo what so many have said already, and that fact so many have taken time to comment shows how much respect he earned here and how much he'll be missed. RIP good sir and my condolences to your family and friends.

#122 2 years ago

Ken RIP, you will be missed.

Charles.

#123 2 years ago

I generally don't comment on RIP threads but have to say Ken always had my respect and admiration. He was an incredible resource. A great loss to the hobby.

#124 2 years ago

Ugh, I really hate to hear this. I never met Ken, as we are on separate sides of the country, but interacted on the forums many times over the years, and his posts were always so helpful. What a wealth of information lost when someone like him passes, but his insights will live on digitally forever.

We also shared a love for drive-in movie theaters. Ken has an extensive library of drive-in movie theater pictures dating back to the 1970s, and knows everything about all of the ones that existed in the Northwest. I actually encountered Ken on cinematreasures.org before the arcade/pinball forums. I remember PMing him when I saw him here on Pinside -- strange to see the same person sharing the same hobbies and forums that are completely unrelated.

Rest in peace Ken, and thoughts are with his family and friends.

#125 2 years ago

Oh my Not Ken, I can't believe it. Ken comes from the "teach a man to fish" school of thinking, of which I heartily agreed. He wouldn't just hand you a solution- he would teach you how to find the solution yourself. He was an invaluable resource in just about every coin-op field there is from jukeboxes to vending machines, electro-mechanical to solid state. Such a genius lost Verty sad to hear of Ken's passing, can't believe it. My solemn condolences to his family. God bless and His peace be with them

#126 2 years ago

Damn, damndamndamndamnfuckdamn.

Spoke with him a lot back in the days. Always knew when I saw his little profile pic on a thread, that there would be some good info, and/or a chuckle to be had.

He'll be up there, looking down on us all, trying to point us in the right directions when we're troubleshooting stuff now..

#127 2 years ago

damn, never a bad word to say, always very helpful to anybody that needed it. Helped me 4-5 times over the yrs. RIP brother.

#128 2 years ago

I always seen Ken as a very knowledgeable guy with a lot more heart and a lot less ego. The world needs so much more of this. R.I.P. Ken

#129 2 years ago

Sad, sad news. Ken helped me on a couple things over the years. Will be missed.
    R.I.P. Ken.

#130 2 years ago

A long time ago, when our crt monitor guy quit, I was given the job because I was one of the few younger guys who could tell a diode from a capacitor. Needless to say I was in over my head. Over the last 15 years, and across multiple repair forums, Ken's posts have been so helpful that he's become a bit of a legend for me and the other guys at my shop who are tasked with digging deep and doing complex board level repairs. I had thought about reaching out to him, just to thank him for all the help he's provided, but I didn't want to bug him.

RIP Ken, you will be missed.

#131 2 years ago

Ken helped me out so many times. He was a great guy and will sadly missed. RIP

#132 2 years ago

Sad, sad news. RIP Ken.

#133 2 years ago

I always enjoyed reading his posts. Knowledge and respectful. With all the noise and drama on pinside, it’s difficult to see one of the better ones go. My prayers are with his family at this time.

#134 2 years ago

I didn't know him in person, but sad to hear of his passing. He will certainly be missed here and outside the forum I'm sure as well.

#135 2 years ago

RIP

Sucks to hear. I never had any dealings with him, but enjoyed reading his posts. Obviously extremely knowledgeable guy & will be missed.

I always feel "honored" when some of the old guard in this hobby like Ken upvote any of my restoration posts & I recall feeling that way when Ken would upvote my stuff. Felt like I must have been doing something right if he was giving it his blessing.

Big loss to Pinside & the Pinball world.

#136 2 years ago

He helped me a few times here and the KLOV forum. What a shame. Huge loss. RIP Ken.

#137 2 years ago

My condolences to his family. He was a wealth of knowledge.

#138 2 years ago

How old was he? Was his avatar actually him?

#139 2 years ago
    Quoted from Blitzburgh99:

How old was he? Was his avatar actually him?

I believe his avatar was a younger Ken, but when passing, I'd like to know how
    old he was also..

#140 2 years ago
    Quoted from Mopar:

I believe his avatar was a younger Ken, but when passing, I'd like to know how
    old he was also..

A google search states 66 years old. I hope it's ok to post that. Way too young...

#141 2 years ago

Rip Ken,
    Great guy, Always helpful here and especially on klov forums . Thanks for the sharing your knowledge !!!!

#142 2 years ago

Rip Ken, always enjoyed your repair tips in Star Tec Journal.

#143 2 years ago

Three years older than me. Ouch.

A sad reminder than on the EM side, most of us are not getting any younger. We all need to pass on as much as we can to the younger people who are interested so the old games can live on.

I never met him or interacted much with him here, but his posts always showed the knowledge that he had. Sad loss to the EM community.

Condolences to all his friends and family.

#144 2 years ago

Always enjoyed Ken's posts. He was very helpful to all Pinsiders.

#145 2 years ago

Ken was certainly a wealth of knowledge. Just yesterday I was reading his posts on KLOV from years ago regarding coin-op dartboards. I never really thought about it before, but individuals like Ken truly leave a legacy on these forums. People who won't even be interested in arcade games, pinball machines, etc. for another decade will be helped by his many troubleshooting posts.

#146 2 years ago

Oh no! I’m going to seriously miss that guy. Ken was always super helpful. He greatly furthered my understanding of EMs. I will always appreciate how generous he was with his extensive knowledge. RIP good man.

#147 2 years ago

Shocked. Ken just Pm’ed me last month checking in. When I got started in the hobby/business 20 plus years ago he was my go to guy. He knew his monitors, especially G07s. We always bounced stuff off each other. Gone, but not forgotten.RIP Brother, thanks for everything.

#148 2 years ago

Gosh damn it

This great guy helped me out on more than a few occasions!

My condolences to his family and friends...

He was a great source of information on Pinside and just a laidback cool guy

R.I.P Ken...setting higher scores from up above

#149 2 years ago

I can't say anything others haven't said better already. Ken was, like, *everywhere* I went to look for help with my games.

If not for good guys like Ken who enjoyed sharing their wisdom, this hobby would be out of reach for so many people.

Thanks Ken, and RIP. We are diminished without you.

#150 2 years ago

Back when I lived in WA, many of the local arcade group tried to get Ken to come to the NW show or one of the local repair parties. He wasn’t able to make it until I had moved so I never got to meet him. He was a wealth of coin op knowledge and always willing to help. It’s wonderful his advice will live on in the forums. RIP Ken, condolences to your family and friends.

There are 219 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 5.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/rip-ken-layton-/page/3?hl=skidave and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.