• 37 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by jgentry
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Screenshot_2018-08-26-13-03-13-1 (resized).png

This topic is closed.

There are 72 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 5 years ago

A real American hero. No one is perfect. This mans track record, though...

It shows a man who tried ( to me.) To make a difference.

I just wanted to acknowledge his passing.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2018/aug/25/john-mccain-influential-us-senator-and-ex-presidential-candidate-dies-aged-81

#2 5 years ago

Cancer is terrible, but your right his track record horrible. RIP

#3 5 years ago

I was taught that "If you can't say something nice about someone then don't say anything at all.
So I won't say anything.

#4 5 years ago

Here's NBC paying their respect.

#6 5 years ago

Thanks for posting this AZ,we vets always hurt when a former P.O.W. is laid to rest,to put down his burden and stand tall in the light of God!!!Peace!!!!

#7 5 years ago

I respect the man for serving in the military , that's it RIP.

#8 5 years ago

thought politics was banned,cos aint nothing nice about him and thats the nicest thing i can say

#9 5 years ago
Quoted from 0geist0:

I was taught that "If you can't say something nice about someone then don't say anything at all.
So I won't say anything.

I know you are upset about his initial opposition to MLK’s birthday holiday in Arizona, but he changed his tune on that in 1990 and apologized many times for his initial stance.

A sign of a great person is the ability to recognize and correct mistakes.

RiP John! Thanks for your lifetime of service.

#10 5 years ago

Reminder! Please keep in mind that politics are NOT allowed on Pinside. Simply put, we don't want to know who you vote for. There's enough politics in the world as it is and Pinside does not want any of it. If you want to give John McCain your respects here, in this thread, that's obviously fine. But politically loaded messages and/or opinions will be moderated. Thanks for respecting Pinside rules.

#11 5 years ago
Quoted from roffels:

Here's NBC paying their respect.

I got moderated for posting .. I thought fairly non-confrontational stuff, but it apparently wasn’t. I guess? But I won’t push it. Anyway, I do think it’s important that there be some context with this news report given the bizarre thing that follows it:

IMO it is worth clarifying that that's what's called a "special report" which means the news is so important that we/they break into whatever show is already playing. Which unfortunately was whatever that dolphin thing was.

#12 5 years ago

Never ceases to amaze me how classless people can be.

#13 5 years ago

Agree or disagree with his party - agree or disagree with his voting record while working in Washington - but please don't disrespect anyone who served in our military especially a POW that had been through what he went trough while in a POW camp for years.

I think one of the major issues the world faces is not respecting people for what they have done. These days it is more about if someone is left or right - not as much about sacrifices people have made in their lives. 40% of the world is left - 40% is right - and the rest are somewhere in the middle. But regardless of our beliefs we should all respect those who served our country.

RIP to a great American!

#14 5 years ago

Thankyou John for all your years representing the state of Arizona. Our thoughts and prayers go out to you and your family though this tough time. RIP

#15 5 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

I got moderated for posting .. I thought fairly non-confrontational stuff, but it apparently wasn’t. I guess? But I won’t push it. Anyway, I do think it’s important that there be some context with this news report given the bizarre thing that follows it:
IMO it is worth clarifying that that's what's called a "special report" which means the news is so important that we/they break into whatever show is already playing. Which unfortunately was whatever that dolphin thing was.

Indeed. Usually there's a bumper in between, that timing was likely unintentional.

#16 5 years ago

I think it was 1970 when a small white box came to me in the mail.
Inside was a POW bracelet. This was important to me, as I watched the older
boys in the neighborhood go off to Vietnam, and many came back in boxes.
As a young boy, this was not a good impression, and I feared being drafted and killed after
going to too many funerals.
The POW Bracelet was a symbol, then, I didnt understand. Mine had John McCains name on it.
I did not know who he was, and didnt make the connection until 20 Plus years later.
While as a politician, I respected his position when I disagreed, because he made that difference respectable too.
My memories of his politics pale, to the sleepless nights rubbing that bracelet, for someone I did not know, doing something I feared, and did not understand at the time.
It produced many young emotions that hang deep inside me to this day.
RIP.

#17 5 years ago

Five years in a pow camp.
Five.
Years.
He was tougher than all of us put together.
RIP Captain McCain.

#18 5 years ago

Al yer post above mine made me weep. Very powerful words. Thanks for sharing that.

#19 5 years ago

John McCain is a hero and a class act. He deserves everyone's respect for the sacrifices he made for this Country. May he rest in peace.

Here's one of my favorite clips of him:

#20 5 years ago

He always put country before himself. An extremely honorable man that served his country proudly.

He had a father and grandfather that also served this country at incredibly difficult times as 4 Star Admirals.

RIP John McCain

#21 5 years ago
Quoted from 0geist0:

So I won't say anything.

You easily COULD have said nothing, instead you did the opposite of what you where taught in a semi-clever way.
Bad form in the context of an American patriot that literally just died of cancer.

#22 5 years ago
Quoted from MikeS:

John McCain is a hero and a class act. He deserves everyone's respect for the sacrifices he made for this Country. May he rest in peace.
Here's one of my favorite clips of him:

Man, balls of steel on that guy. Makes me tear up to think we lost someone like that.

Last time I saw him it was at the starting line for the Rock N' Roll 1/2 marathon here in AZ (2010?) cheering for all the runners starting their race.

RIP.

#23 5 years ago
Quoted from T7:

You easily COULD have said nothing, instead you did the opposite of what you where taught in a semi-clever way.
Bad form in the context of an American patriot that literally just died of cancer.

Some people here have LONG unpleasant history of being vile in RiP threads. You wonder how they were raised.

#24 5 years ago

What is wrong with some of you people.

Served in the military
Had active duty is Vietnam
5 year POW
Self made politician
Always worked hard and didn't skip out

If you cannot respect him based on those things alone your an F'ing idiot.

I certainly did not agree with all of his stances but I sure do respect him for everything he tried to do for this country. Which is more then anyone on this thread certainly has done or ever will do.

#25 5 years ago

Love him or hate him the man was a hero.

He was a Navy Pilot, captured and tortured for years as a POW, he was the only member of the Keating Five that did not go to jail, he often voted his conscience rather than his party affiliation, and he had balls of steel.

Thank you sir for your service.

May your soul rest in peace.

#26 5 years ago

On social media are "believers" of:

He was a War Criminal Pardoned by Nixon
He gave away Major US Secrets when Captured, and was the "leader" of doing so.
His Personal life was the worst of any Politician.
He was a Traitor.
He was a Democrat.

Sad.

#27 5 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

He was a Traitor.
He was a Democrat.
Sad.

Who cares about any of that????

Let's all just wish him peace in the afterlife.

#28 5 years ago

I dont, Some do.....it was just a way for me to share why there may be some negative posts....
I was curious as to why?

#29 5 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

He was a Traitor.
He was a Democrat.
Sad.

Funny, I’m not seeing any nonsense like that on my social media feed.

Maybe you need to choose a little smarter when hitting “accept.”

#30 5 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Love him or hate him the man was a hero.
He was a Navy Pilot, captured and tortured for years as a POW, he was the only member of the Keating Five that did not go to jail, he often voted his conscience rather than his party affiliation, and he had balls of steel.
Thank you sir for your service.
May your soul rest in peace.

Pretty sure John Glenn didn't go to jail

#31 5 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Funny, I’m not seeing any nonsense like that on my social media feed.
Maybe you need to choose a little smarter when hitting “accept.”

Thanks.....I am receiving some minor work for watching a few dozen sites for a company
that those "results", perhaps, are different than the viewing habits of others.

Easy enough today to take a polarized position, not so easy to see both sides.

#32 5 years ago
Screenshot_2018-08-26-13-03-13-1 (resized).pngScreenshot_2018-08-26-13-03-13-1 (resized).png
#33 5 years ago
Quoted from Chuck_Sherman:

Pretty sure John Glenn didn't go to jail

He was another hero.

Heros don't go to jail

#34 5 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

I dont, Some do.....it was just a way for me to share why there may be some negative posts....
I was curious as to why?

I could find negative posts on ANY subject somewhere on the internet.

A man died, let's look back at the positive impact he had in his life.

#36 5 years ago
Quoted from T7:

Your definition of American Patriot and my definition are completely different.

#37 5 years ago
#38 5 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I know you are upset about his initial opposition to MLK’s birthday holiday in Arizona, but he changed his tune on that in 1990 and apologized many times for his initial stance.
A sign of a great person is the ability to recognize and correct mistakes.
RiP John! Thanks for your lifetime of service.

Think what you want but that is not my reason for disliking him

#39 5 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Some people here have LONG unpleasant history of being vile in RiP threads. You wonder how they were raised.

I kind of agree with what you are saying here, but it just sounds funny as heck coming from one of the most controversial characters on Pinside who is ALWAYS starting crap with people!

#42 5 years ago

Was Robin not clear enough?

#44 5 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

I kind of agree with what you are saying here, but it just sounds funny as heck coming from one of the most controversial characters on Pinside who is ALWAYS starting crap with people!

The day you catch me shitting on a warm body in an RIP thread feel free to point it out.

#45 5 years ago
Quoted from 0geist0:

Your definition of American Patriot and my definition are completely different.

I don't think I would agree with your definition. In fact, the word "patriot" has been sullied by the actions of many claiming to be one.

#46 5 years ago
Quoted from 0geist0:

Think what you want but that is not my reason for disliking him

There's a shocker. Since you didn't pick up on Levi's facetiousness, I will explain it to you. On second thought, never mind.

#47 5 years ago
Quoted from T7:

Funny, I don't think semi-clever has ever been used to describe that guy.

#48 5 years ago

Of everyone lauding him here, I wonder how many of you voted for him in 2008. Hmm?

#49 5 years ago
Quoted from robin:

Reminder! Please keep in mind that politics are NOT allowed on Pinside. Simply put, we don't want to know who you vote for. There's enough politics in the world as it is and Pinside does not want any of it. If you want to give John McCain your respects here, in this thread, that's obviously fine. But politically loaded messages and/or opinions will be moderated. Thanks for respecting Pinside rules.

If you do not want this to get political, why are you allowing the post in the first place?? It wasn't like he worked at the local grocery store, for god stakes. What did you think would happen?

#50 5 years ago
Quoted from jrpinball:

Of everyone lauding him here, I wonder how many of you voted for him in 2008. Hmm?

I voted for him in 2008 because he was so much better than the alternative. I also think John was a very good person, husband, father, etc, and a great American that served his country proudly and i have major respect for him because of that. I however didnt agree with him on alot of his political views. I think this is how alot of people probably feel about him. I think John McCain was a great person/American though and i believe thats how he will be remembered, as he should be.

There are 72 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/rip-john-mccain?hl=cocomonkeh and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.