2 years ago

Topic Stats

• 9 posts
  • 7 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by DaMoib
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

In_the_Court_of_the_Crimson_King_Front_cover (resized).jpeg
    #1 2 years ago

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/ian-mcdonald-king-crimson-dead-obit-1298588/
    He was co-founder of King Crimson and Foreigner.
    R.I.P. in that great gig in the sky.

#2 2 years ago

Terrible news.....his work in particular with King Crimson was a huge influence to me...

#3 2 years ago

The great ones are fading away, and there doesn't seem to be anyone worthy of filling their shoes.

Here's hoping "Epitaph" was not a case of art imitating life, R.I.P.

#4 2 years ago
    Quoted from Thermionic:

The great ones are fading away, and there doesn't seem to be anyone worthy of filling their shoes.
    Here's hoping "Epitaph" was not a case of art imitating life, R.I.P.

Playing the first album as we speak... key album on the soundtrack of my high school years...

Rest in peace Ian...

In_the_Court_of_the_Crimson_King_Front_cover (resized).jpegIn_the_Court_of_the_Crimson_King_Front_cover (resized).jpeg
    #5 2 years ago
    Quoted from DaMoib:

Playing the first album as we speak... key album on the soundtrack of my high school years...
    Rest in peace Ian...
    [quoted image]

For my high-school years as well, but likely a different time period.

I graduated in 2003.

I got turned onto King Crimson, and subsequently Robert Fripp, after Saxon released their cover of "The Court of the Crimson King" in 2001.

"In the Court of the Crimson King" and "Happy With What You Have to be Happy With" got a lot of play by me during high school

#6 2 years ago

That first album helped define prog rock, just like Louis Armstrong’s Hot Fives and Hot Sevens helped define jazz. It’s a desert island record that I never tire of playing, and much of it due to McDonald’s contribution. RIP

#7 2 years ago

Awful news, they just keep dropping like flies.

#8 2 years ago
    Quoted from Eightball88:

That first album helped define prog rock, just like Louis Armstrong’s Hot Fives and Hot Sevens helped define jazz. It’s a desert island record that I never tire of playing, and much of it due to McDonald’s contribution. RIP

A landmark recording for sure. No one today has the talent and creativity of these, and other prog groups of the '70s. They were basically just kids at the time too!

1 month later

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/rip-ian-mcdonald and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.