Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 18 posts
  • 16 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 months ago by Ross
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

gordon-lightfoot-fitzgerald (resized).jpg

#1 11 months ago

Looks like Gordon Lightfoot passed away May 1.

Usually someone here follows that and make a post, but I didn't see anything. So if it's already posted my apologies in advance.

Always liked his music, bummer.

#2 11 months ago

Sad news.

LTG : (

#3 11 months ago

Yea didn't really see anything on the news about it.

All the old good ones are leaving us.

#4 11 months ago

Great Canadian icon ...

RIP... for the second time!

#5 11 months ago

I was just listening to Sundown on the way home from work yesterday. RIP.

#6 11 months ago

RIP to an inspirational singer/songwriter.

Here in Michigan nearly everyone knows The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald but he has many great songs (Sundown is now stuck in my head)

Looking back he worked with greats like Ry Cooder, Kris Kristofferson, and Randy Newman.. he got around.

I picture Ry Cooder playing "Feelin' Bad Blues" in a dark smokey room today

#7 11 months ago
    gordon-lightfoot-fitzgerald (resized).jpggordon-lightfoot-fitzgerald (resized).jpg
    #8 11 months ago

Another big fan here. RIP

#9 11 months ago

As a kid I heard many of his songs but didn't really know who he was. I sort of rediscovered him in adulthood.

Most of the adults from my childhood that would have listened to his music are no longer around. So sometimes with some of these death announcements you have that moment that is more surprise than sadness. Saying to yourself "that person was still around?"

RIP

#10 11 months ago

Great picture thanks for posting !

#11 11 months ago

One of my pop's favs. I vividly remember getting detention in school where my history teacher played the Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald on a loop for 3 hours without telling everyone. I laughed and sang along, got dirty looks. RIP, great songwriter.

#12 11 months ago

He came by a few times lately - I knew I should have caught him as he wasn't going to be around forever.

He hung around a long time given how hard he lived.

#13 11 months ago

Warning: sadness ahead. I saw Gordon in concert in 2018 at a small venue in New England. My father wanted to go and he was more the fan but we listened to a lot of the music together and I became a fan, too. Music and songwriting are a hobby of mine so I really appreciated Gordon’s talent. Toward the end of the show, my father approached the stage and Gordon gave him a big ol’ fist bump right before walking off, which made my dad’s day, of course. My father passed away in 2020 and so now it gives me such a weird, empty feeling that those two old dudes who fist-bumped are both gone!

#14 11 months ago

Gordon was badass.

#15 11 months ago

When suppertime came, the old cook came on deck sayin'
    "Fellas, it's too rough to feed ya"
    At seven PM, a main hatchway caved in, he said
    "Fellas, it's been good to know ya"

#16 11 months ago

I've been listening to Gordon Lightfoot the last few days on my reel to reel.

He truly was a legend.

#17 10 months ago

I thought that an RIP Gordon Lightfoot thread was never made. I'm glad I found this one. I'll miss him a lot. His music really moves you. I was listening to him tonight and was briefly overcome with sadness thinking about him along with my own loved ones lost. His music has the ability to do that to you. So many great songs, but "If You Could Read My Mind" is his masterpiece.

#18 10 months ago

RIP Gordon.

I saw him several times in the 70’s, and then a few years ago. Fantastic folk singer / songwriter. The recent documentary, also named “If you could read my mind” is worth watching for fans.

The Split Rock Lighthouse on the north shore of Lake Superior was lit this week in his memory. It usually only lights in November on the anniversary of the wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald.

His song Sundown was supposedly written about his infamous mistress Cathy Smith. She was later convicted in the death of John Belushi.

Ross

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/rip-gordon-lightfoot?hl=steeltigers and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.