IMG_1316 (resized).JPG
eagle_hd (resized).jpg
mf (resized).jpg
ted and george (resized).jpg
c53a49a5-2961-4ef1-bc55-9eabb754b902 (resized).jpg
IMG_1820 (resized).JPG

#1 6 years ago

Very sad news.

As influential as 'Night of the Living Dead' was, he continued to innovate, collaborate, and create for decades until his death. The modern zombie genre wouldn't exist without him.

Fire up a TWD game or put on 'Dawn of the Dead' in his memory. I know I will.

IMG_1820 (resized).JPGIMG_1820 (resized).JPG

#2 6 years ago

Sad news.

LTG : (

#3 6 years ago

Very. Very sad. Pittsburgh should be running flags at half mast this weekend.

Quentin Tarantino once said of George "The A. in the name George A. Romero stands for 'A Fucking Genius'."

hard to disagree.

#4 6 years ago

I've done many shows with George! RIP

c53a49a5-2961-4ef1-bc55-9eabb754b902 (resized).jpgc53a49a5-2961-4ef1-bc55-9eabb754b902 (resized).jpg

#5 6 years ago

We lost Martin Landau too.

#6 6 years ago

Me and the big man!

ted and george (resized).jpgted and george (resized).jpg

#7 6 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Will Barbara Bain (Cinnamon) be at his funeral?

#8 6 years ago

If I'm not mistaken, didn't he work on NFL Films around the time the Steelers were the most dominant team in the '70s....

#9 6 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

I was a huge fan of Space 1999 in my early years. Although it's kind of campy, I didn't care as a kid. The original Milennium Falcon spaceship design looked too much like a Space 1999 Eagle so they had to change it.......

Rob

mf (resized).jpgmf (resized).jpg

eagle_hd (resized).jpgeagle_hd (resized).jpg

#10 6 years ago
Quoted from kwiKimart:

If I'm not mistaken, didn't he work on NFL Films around the time the Steelers were the most dominant team in the '70s....

Found it!! http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-videos/0ap3000000716009/Night-of-the-Living-Steelers-Narrated-by-George-A-Romero

#11 6 years ago
Quoted from MrBally:

Will Barbara Bain (Cinnamon) be at his funeral?

No idea. He'll be buried quick so may not be a lot of time for people that may or may not attend.

LTG : )

#12 6 years ago

George, me (the guy next to him), and a couple of my buddies in May of 2016. He couldn't have been more kind. RIP.

IMG_1316 (resized).JPGIMG_1316 (resized).JPG

IMG_1323 (resized).JPGIMG_1323 (resized).JPG

#13 6 years ago

Very sad to hear of Romeros passing.

#14 6 years ago

Damn. Wishing you ETERNAL peace and contentment George - thank you!

#15 6 years ago

Romero helped created the nightmares in my head. I can never live without them now.

I was a zombie fan from the movie night of the living dead.

Me and friends would have probably survived any zombie apocalypse, because of that.

Then came dawn of the dead. Nc17 I think it was the first. Shopping malls and zombies.

And human intrigue. So to speak. Certainly human observation. What a talent. So much can be said. The father of all zombies. In my opinion.

image (resized).jpegimage (resized).jpeg

#16 6 years ago

Some of my favorite things he did was Creepshow and Creepshow 2. The short stories movie from the 80's. Coincidentally, I actually just watched part of Creepshow 2 last night having no clue he had past. Absolutely awesome movies!!! RIP, George.

#17 6 years ago

I'm going to have to watch dawn of the dead today, but also this probably.

image (resized).jpegimage (resized).jpeg

#18 6 years ago

Surely there is a dead / zombie joke in here somewhere?

#19 6 years ago
Quoted from Azmodeus:

Then came dawn of the dead. Nc17 I think it was the first.

No, the first film to be rated NC-17 was Henry & June in 1990.
Dawn Of The Dead (1978) was released unrated, theatrically.

#20 6 years ago

Be sure to check out "Night of the Living Dead: Reanimated" (NOT the 3D "NOTLD Resurrection"). It's an animated re-take on NOTLD using the audio from the movie, but mixed-media reinterpretations of each scene. It could never replace the original but I think it's a really cool way to breathe some new life (haha) into the original film, and it is still George's script and the original actors

#21 6 years ago
Quoted from Honch:

Some of my favorite things he did was Creepshow and Creepshow 2. The short stories movie from the 80's. Coincidentally, I actually just watched part of Creepshow 2 last night having no clue he had past. Absolutely awesome movies!!! RIP, George.

Creepshow is one of my favorites. Fantastic collaboration between Romero and Stephen King. (Fun fact: That's Stephen King's son in the first reel as the kid with the comic book and dickhead dad.)

Hell, I even enjoy Creepshow 2. "Thanks for the ride lady!"

#22 6 years ago

Was super sad to hear this.

Loved his movies growing up and was a big fan

My Father passed away this month too.
but I remember not being old enough to see land of the dead the day It came out. So my dad who wasn't the biggest horror fan (though he loved walking dead years later), went with me to buy my ticket. Long story short they said he had to go with me. So I paid for his ticket, we both watched and enjoyed it. But it was fun to take my dad, a God loving man who didn't swear to a Zombie flick.

when my wife showed me the news about George this memory came back to me, since obviously my father is still on my mind. It did crack a smile on my face reminiscing

I did watch some dawn of the dead last though. I freakin love that film. Top 5 in my personal favorite list

sorry for the long and kinda personal post.

much love to all the horror nuts like myself out there in the pinball world

#23 6 years ago

His collab with Stephen King in Creepshow 1 and 2 was phenomenal. What a shame

#24 6 years ago
Quoted from timtim:

Was super sad to hear this.
Loved his movies growing up and was a big fan
My Father passed away this month too.
but I remember not being old enough to see land of the dead the day It came out. So my dad who wasn't the biggest horror fan (though he loved walking dead years later), went with me to buy my ticket. Long story short they said he had to go with me. So I paid for his ticket, we both watched and enjoyed it. But it was fun to take my dad, a God loving man who didn't swear to a Zombie flick.
when my wife showed me the news about George this memory came back to me, since obviously my father is still on my mind. It did crack a smile on my face reminiscing
I did watch some dawn of the dead last though. I freakin love that film. Top 5 in my personal favorite list
sorry for the long and kinda personal post.
much love to all the horror nuts like myself out there in the pinball world

Thank you for the post about your dad. I had a terrible father.

But he took me to see, the jerk. Karate kid, and Saturday night fever. Your post made me think about this list. It's a good 3 movie list.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/rip-george-romero and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.