(Topic ID: 310304)

RIP Ed Cianci's XB (vehicle 537k) - with pictures of 16 footers and mileage

By edcianci

2 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

scion 2 (resized).jpg
    scion 1 (resized).jpg
    scion (resized).jpg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    E6511798-DB0E-4CCC-9F3D-B08C4057CAD9 (resized).jpeg
    xbwood (resized).jpg
    xbmiles (resized).jpg
    #1 2 years ago

After 537,000 miles i am putting her down for good - the registration runs out on 2/28 and i didn't renew it as it won't pass inspection. the whole exhaust fell off yesterday which made the decision easy - i have been driving the last 100k with a broken windshield, 1 wiper, the shock has rotted through under the hood. so it's time to sell her for parts. she has picked up many pins over the years. the best pin car ever made as it even fits NIB games. i was hoping for 555,555 - but maybe on the next one.

I actually bought it's replacement 16 months ago thinking the day was near. so i am now driving the replacement as of today.

anybody have one they want to sell as i love these cars - i only want generation 1 which is 2004-2006

#2 2 years ago
    Quoted from edcianci:

After 537,000 miles i am putting her down for good - the registration runs out on 2/28 and i didn't renew it as it won't pass inspection. the whole exhaust fell off yesterday which made the decision easy - i have been driving the last 100k with a broken windshield, 1 wiper, the shock has rotted through under the hood. so it's time to sell her for parts. she has picked up many pins over the years. the best pin car ever made as it even fits NIB games. i was hoping for 555,555 - but maybe on the next one.
    I actually bought it's replacement 16 months ago thinking the day was near. so i am now driving the replacement as of today.
    anybody have one they want to sell as i love these cars - i only want generation 1 which is 2004-2006

Holy crap you really beat the piss outta that car! Include a picture of the queen of Pin-haulers!

#3 2 years ago

GODDAMNIT I THOUGHT YOU DIED
    Glad you're still breathing.

#4 2 years ago

Jesus Ed for a second there I thought you bought the farm.

#5 2 years ago

Ed, please change the title of your thread. My heart sank because I thought you died brother.

Glad all is well, less the XB.

#6 2 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Jesus Ed for a second there I thought you bought the farm.

Quoted from Gryszzz:

GODDAMNIT I THOUGHT YOU DIED
    Glad you're still breathing.

I thought he announced he died too!! It was weird because we just PMd 20 minutes ago, and I noticed he posted it. At that point I’m thinking:
    “Wtf Ed is posting that he died?!

#8 2 years ago

Ed that title stressed me out too.... Glad you are fine.

#9 2 years ago

Great cars. My dad put about 500K on his and yes it is a great pin hauler.

#10 2 years ago
    Quoted from edcianci:

post a picture of her

#11 2 years ago

here is todays mileage and about 3 weeks ago at lowes - thanks ed

xbmiles (resized).jpgxbmiles (resized).jpgxbwood (resized).jpgxbwood (resized).jpg
    #12 2 years ago

I thought 4, 8' 2x4s was a bit over board in mine, Impressive!

But yes super great pin hauler, this is how mine ended its life. Luckily just parked on the street. Unluckily, somehow the Buick that hit it at 3AM was able to drive off before I could make it downstairs.

E6511798-DB0E-4CCC-9F3D-B08C4057CAD9 (resized).jpegE6511798-DB0E-4CCC-9F3D-B08C4057CAD9 (resized).jpeg
    #13 2 years ago

update - somebody just gave me $500 for it - i put it on facebook and had about 50 people in a few hours - i guess the cat is worth that so they take the whole car just for the cat.

#14 2 years ago

My wife just traded in her 2005 Xb last year at about 200k miles. That thing was a tank, but it finally started falling apart from the rust. It was a great pin hauler and she still misses it.

#15 2 years ago

What makes the 1st generation superior to the later years?

#16 2 years ago
    Quoted from edcianci:

update - somebody just gave me $500 for it - i put it on facebook and had about 50 people in a few hours - i guess the cat is worth that so they take the whole car just for the cat.

And probably could have got more. Used car prices are f'n insane as are the prices of just about everything else. If you live in the right area, your home has nearly doubled in value in the last 2 to 3 years.

https://www.theverge.com/22923871/carvana-pandemic-used-car-prices-sold-online-chip-shortage

#17 2 years ago
    Quoted from tomdrum:

What makes the 1st generation superior to the later years?

I had a gen2 and the open space of the gen1 is greater than later gens.

#18 2 years ago

generation 1 has the no maintenance 1.5 motor - you literally don't do anything but change the oil. it has no power, but goes forever. generation 2 looks better, handles better, more comfortable, bigger motor, worst gas mileage and the motor only last about 300k compared to 500k or so on the 1.5.

i have been driving generation 1 since 2005, best motor ever made. it's only in the echo, scion xa, scion xb, and the yaris

#19 2 years ago

Damn I saw this quick and I thought you were dead. Thank God it’s your car man. Had me depressed for a moment.

#20 2 years ago

Apparently I wasn’t the only one that thought you but the dust Ed.

#21 2 years ago
    Quoted from edcianci:

How was that 4-cylinder for heading down the highway? Was there any power to pass the car in front of you?

I drive a 2003 Saturn wagon with a V-6. I need to find another pin hauler. A Scion would work, but I don't know if I can can live with a 4 banger.

#22 2 years ago

Rest in peach to one brave little toaster. I'm on my second xB so I understand your loss. What a fantastic vehicle.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
    #23 2 years ago

I just got rid of my 2005 Ford Freestar. It had 360,000km & ran great but was falling apart due to rust. My GF's daughter had to hop out at a gas station & pick up a part that had fallen off. The wreckers gave my $625CAD for it. As said above, probably because of the cat.

#24 2 years ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

How was that 4-cylinder for heading down the highway? Was there any power to pass the car in front of you?
    I drive a 2003 Saturn wagon with a V-6. I need to find another pin hauler. A Scion would work, but I don't know if I can can live with a 4 banger.

it's only a 1.5 motor so there isn't much power - my daughter drove mine from RI to Texas at 80 all the way and had no issues - when you are doing 70 you are at 3 RPMS - that is really where i like to keep mine on the highway - between 65 and 70 and slightly under 3 RPMS

my new one is the bright orange - only had 189k when i got it - just registered and will be hitting 200k by the weekend

thanks ed

#25 2 years ago
    Quoted from edcianci:

it's only a 1.5 motor so there isn't much power - my daughter drove mine from RI to Texas at 80 all the way and had no issues - when you are doing 70 you are at 3 RPMS - that is really where i like to keep mine on the highway - between 65 and 70 and slightly under 3 RPMS
    my new one is the bright orange - only had 189k when i got it - just registered and will be hitting 200k by the weekend
    thanks ed

Thank you.

4 weeks later
    #26 2 years ago

After reading this thread I made the plunge and bought this 2006 with just 81K miles about an hour away. It looks almost new.

scion (resized).jpgscion (resized).jpgscion 1 (resized).jpgscion 1 (resized).jpgscion 2 (resized).jpgscion 2 (resized).jpg
    #27 2 years ago
    Quoted from tomdrum:

After reading this thread I made the plunge and bought this 2006 with just 81K miles about an hour away. It looks almost new.

if that's the original paint, that's amazing condition! A little old lady must really have only driven it to church on Sundays and parked it in the garage afterwards.

Why the hell did they quit making the Honda Element too for that matter? Those things were awesome.

#28 2 years ago
    Quoted from mcluvin:

if that's the original paint, that's amazing condition! A little old lady must really have only driven it to church on Sundays and parked it in the garage afterwards.
    Why the hell did they quit making the Honda Element too for that matter? Those things were awesome.

Paint is original. An elderly man bought it new in 2006 and by 2020 it had 69K miles. Guy I got it from put 12K on it since then.

#29 2 years ago

Give it to Andy..... Im sure he will try and fix it.

#30 2 years ago
    Quoted from tomdrum:

After reading this thread I made the plunge and bought this 2006 with just 81K miles about an hour away. It looks almost new. [quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

wow good for you - it will be the best car you ever bought - some things to know about the car

the only things that go are the exhaust after about 15 years

a coil pack might blow once in a while if you don't change the plugs every 100k miles - really easy to do it your self - when you scan the car if it says cylinder 2 i just swap 2 and 3 - reset the light - drive it like a mile - plug in the tester and then hopefully it says the skip is in cylinder 3 now - so you now know the coil pach is why it is skipping - very important to change both the plugs also

when the maintenance light comes on you change the oil - you can get the light off by holding the odometer button down - turn the key on and watch the lines disappear - after the last line you start the car and the light is off

you never have to add antifreeze or brake fluid - it's called the no maintenance motor - just do a quick google search

if your battery light comes on your alternator is not charging - i have driven them about 1.5 million miles and had to replace the alternator twice - you can hit it with a hammer and it usually will start charging again - i did that and got another year out of the alternator - i would have to hit it once a month or so - but most people will change it after the first time the light comes on - the 2nd time i had to replace it i only got away with hitting the alternator for about 2 months

any questions feel free to ask - if it's an automatic you will get about 32 to 33 mpg in the winter and 36-37 in the summer - if you are a coaster like me you can do even better

lastly when the gas light comes on you can actually go another 50-60 miles no problem - i never ran out of gas

thanks ed

#31 2 years ago

meant to say change all the plugs

#32 2 years ago
    Quoted from hoby1:

Give it to Andy..... Im sure he will try and fix it.

Andy is a mutual friend of Hoby and me - if anybody was trying to figure this out - by the way andy has a red one with 300k on it himself - thanks ed

#33 2 years ago
    Quoted from edcianci:

wow good for you - it will be the best car you ever bought - some things to know about the car

Thanks for all the info Ed. The seller just replaced the plugs before I bought it. I worked in automotive service sales for 20 years in a past life, so I do know vehicles.

Mine is an automatic, should the fluid be changed? Manual never listed an interval.

Tom

#34 2 years ago

i have never changed fluids and have driven them with tons of weight - it might even be a sealed unit - not sure - but i have never done it and my cars never have issues and they all go forever - 474k, 537k, 330k and still going, 242k and still going - i only buy the automatics.

thanks ed

#35 2 years ago

They have a drain plug and filler for fluid changes. I guess I'm trying to be proactive after owning a AAMCO transmission shop and selling 2-3K transmission rebuilds daily.

#36 2 years ago

It's picking up 1st pin of many to come Saturday. 1st long trip, 200 miles round trip. Has studded snows I'm going to pull tomorrow and put the extra set of summer tires on aftermarket rims on.

#37 2 years ago
    Quoted from tomdrum:

They have a drain plug and filler for fluid changes. I guess I'm trying to be proactive after owning a AAMCO transmission shop and selling 2-3K transmission rebuilds daily.

Yeah, I think there is a point where if you haven’t done it you probably shouldn’t, but I change my fluids regularly, especially for the transmission.

#38 2 years ago
    Quoted from mcluvin:

Yeah, I think there is a point where if you haven’t done it you probably shouldn’t, but I change my fluids regularly, especially for the transmission.

You are correct. If your transmission fluid has over 120K+ miles on the OE fluid and was never changed, you can do more harm than good replacing it. The detergents in the new fluid can wipe out the remaining friction materials on the clutch discs and cause slipping. I turned away 75% of the customers who came in for a transmission fluid change or flush because they were looking to solve a problem or the fluid was already toast. Last thing I wanted was to change tranny fluid and have it fail quickly after the service. And then blame us.

#39 2 years ago

I will say I made it to ~275K on a VW manual transmission never changing the fluid. I nuked the 5th gear one day and it kept on going, just not in 5th. That's before I knew any better though...

2 months later
    #40 1 year ago

just wanted to bring the thread to life again as i was told there was no way i can get a riding lawn mower in the car to drive it 200 miles home - well i did - i had to take the staring wheel off (one bolt),and let the air out of the tires. it was a bolens 42 inch cut 13 HP mower i bought as a birthday gift for my son - i will try to figure a way to post pictures as i have them on my phone - not sure how to do the phone to computer thing. so nor only do these cars fit those 16 footers in the picture i posted, they fit nib pins, snowmobiles, and now i can verify riding lawn mowers.

i also fit 16 sheets of sheetrock once - those were on the roof though - almost forgot i also got a break to fit (these bend metal) - i might be spelling it wrong

thanks ed

#41 1 year ago

Are they big enough to haul arcade games? Standard 80s wooden ones like Pac Man

#42 1 year ago

if i remember they fit in - but you can't close the hatch with some of them - you have to drive home with the hatch open - thanks ed

#43 1 year ago

I just stumbled across this thread. I have to say I am in awe. My pinhauler of choice over the years has always been an early 2000's suburban. That may change soon.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/rip-ed-cianci-xb and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.