0FF5CAD3-A1B2-4136-BE7C-A9CB3FBE4870 (resized).jpeg
20191006_220414 (resized).jpg
20191006_221851 (resized).jpg
tres (resized).jpg
ZZ_Top_-_ZZ_Top's_First_Album (resized).jpg
20210728_174541 (resized).jpg
20210728_174742 (resized).jpg
5FE00A46-E583-4FE9-8F9B-22652D39DD1B (resized).jpeg
There are 69 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#2 2 years ago

Sad news RIP

#3 2 years ago

Sad news indeed.

#4 2 years ago

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

Always cracked me up that the guy w/o the beard in the band was Frank Beard.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

I wore out Eliminator album (had it on vinyl), and the music videos were awesome . . . MTV at it's best:

Legs

Gimmie All Your Lovin'

Sharped Dressed Man

TV Dinners

And of course, there is pinball's homage to the band that features "La Grange" as it's main theme . . .
pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#5 2 years ago

I saw footage of ZZ Top playing with Elwood Francis on bass from a month or so ago and I thought it was weird for them to play without Dusty. I guess he was in ill health and Elwood was filling in. Guy was a legend and I'm truly sorry to see him go.

#6 2 years ago

We just went to see these guy not long ago with Government Mule. Ugh...

#7 2 years ago

The wife and I saw ZZ Top in 2019. Great show. RIP

#8 2 years ago

One of the greatest 3 man bands imo rest well in heaven just outside lagrange and a hmm hmm hmm

#9 2 years ago

RIP Amigo….

#10 2 years ago

Took a road trip out west many many years ago and brought along a best of ZZ Top cassette. Came back loving the group. Sad news.

#11 2 years ago

I was driving through Houston and i looked over and there he was next to me in a Jacked up truck. I pointed at him in awe and he gave me nod and a thumbs up.

Also my wifes roommate in college was the niece of Frank Beard. He came to pick her up in the old Ford from the video once. He said "Its just a job".

#12 2 years ago

Was never a ZZ fan but I heard that they put on an incredible show. That, I would pay money for.

#13 2 years ago

Thank you

#14 2 years ago

This sucks... if you want a great performance watch 1980 Rockpalast. Its before all the Eliminator stuff.

Which that is cool as well...

#15 2 years ago

Sucks. One of the most unique bands out there.

#16 2 years ago

Omg… they were so awesome! RIP man…

#17 2 years ago

Wow, sad news. I saw them live many times. But the absolute best was in a small place called The Warehouse in New Orleans. Place was packed to the rafters and probably held less than 1,200 people. They just blew the roof off the place for 2 solid hours. I may still have some pics somewhere.

If you want to hear some great ZZ that are lesser known, check out Rhythmeen from 1996 and Mescalero from 2003. Especially Rhythmeen, that whole album kicks ass.

#19 2 years ago

This is the best in my hombre opinion!I was 16 when this album hit the airways

IMG_1973 (resized).PNGIMG_1973 (resized).PNG
#20 2 years ago
Quoted from romulusx:

This is the best in my hombre opinion!I was 16 when this album hit the airways
[quoted image]

That’s no album, it’s a CD!! What’s wrong with you!?

And yes it rules!

I’ve got these all on old LPs and they sound fantastic.

#21 2 years ago

Aww man, that just sucks, he seemed like a good dude. Really love the early ZZ Top stuff before Eliminator, saw them about 5 or 6 times over the years and they always put on a good show. RIP Dusty.

#22 2 years ago

Saw them for the first time in 76 on the World Wide Texas tour with the Outlaws.One of the best live bands ever.Also one of the loudest.RIP Dusty.

#23 2 years ago

I took this pic a few years ago in Fredericksburg, Va.

1AFAF312-74BF-44A7-9F1E-772678D3F95E (resized).jpeg1AFAF312-74BF-44A7-9F1E-772678D3F95E (resized).jpeg
#24 2 years ago

Seen them quite a few times. Last time was 2019, front row center.

zztop (resized).jpgzztop (resized).jpg
#25 2 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

That’s no album, it’s a CD!! What’s wrong with you!?
And yes it rules!
I’ve got these all on old LPs and they sound fantastic.

Just put on Waiting on the bus and and listen to how it bleeds into Jesus just left Chicago.Damn crank it up

#26 2 years ago
Quoted from romulusx:

Just put on Waiting on the bus and and listen to how it bleeds into Jesus just left Chicago.Damn crank it up

Beer drinkers and hell raisers baby!

5FE00A46-E583-4FE9-8F9B-22652D39DD1B (resized).jpeg5FE00A46-E583-4FE9-8F9B-22652D39DD1B (resized).jpeg
#27 2 years ago

Best damn show.

20210728_174541 (resized).jpg20210728_174541 (resized).jpg20210728_174742 (resized).jpg20210728_174742 (resized).jpg
#28 2 years ago

Everyone has an opinion... I think their first album is better than Tres Hombres... if you love Tres Hobres and never heard their first album, check it out. Don't get me wrong, Tres Hombres kicks ass.

I think their first one was the best. In the garage, working on cars and pinball with wrenches... crank it up. Good times!

ZZ_Top_-_ZZ_Top's_First_Album (resized).jpgZZ_Top_-_ZZ_Top's_First_Album (resized).jpgtres (resized).jpgtres (resized).jpg
#29 2 years ago

25 lighters on my dresser yessir
I gots to get paid……if you know that lyric then you know your ZZ Top.

Sad news for sure. Just a little old band from Texas. Love their early stuff the best….especially the first album. Coincidentally I just finished cleaning all my albums and played ZZ Top yesterday.

Early stuff is the best but I like all eras of ZZ Top. They definitely took advantage of MTV and had the best videos back in the day……

#30 2 years ago
Quoted from bayoubilly70:

Everyone has an opinion... I think their first album is better than Tres Hombres... if you love Tres Hobres and never heard their first album, check it out. Don't get me wrong, Tres Hombres kicks ass.
I think their first one was the best. In the garage, working on cars and pinball with wrenches... crank it up. Good times![quoted image][quoted image]

Brown Sugar is probably my favorite ZZ Top song….that intro is straight blues/ rock at its best.

#31 2 years ago

Crossroads 2010

50 years.

Really, there are not any words...

#32 2 years ago

Not front row but close

20191006_220414 (resized).jpg20191006_220414 (resized).jpg20191006_221851 (resized).jpg20191006_221851 (resized).jpg
#33 2 years ago

And another one …

0FF5CAD3-A1B2-4136-BE7C-A9CB3FBE4870 (resized).jpeg0FF5CAD3-A1B2-4136-BE7C-A9CB3FBE4870 (resized).jpeg
#34 2 years ago

RIP Dusty. ZZ Top was a huge part in the soundtrack of my life. ...sad to loose another part of that.

#35 2 years ago

Some of the few certainties in the music world were that live - Dusty and Frank were gonna bring be as tight as a frogs ass, Billy’s guitar tone would be glorious, and they were gonna bring it for 90-120 minutes. RIP Dusty.

#36 2 years ago

Man.. I thought those dudes would just go on forever. RIP.

#37 2 years ago

Saw them in 1986 and 1990 in Little Rock Arkansas at Barton Coliseum. Still enjoy their music now. Great memories. RIP.

#38 2 years ago

Saw them in Singapore in 2009. ZZ Top always brought a great performance and sound, playing large venues or just jamming in a room. Thanks Dusty for the good times.

#39 2 years ago

Sad to hear. They were going to play Summerfest this Sep. I saw them first at Notre Dame in ‘83. They came out with the fuzzy carpet covered guitars. Funny. Epitome of cool. Tight playing band. Great show. Loved the older stuff...wore out my LP of TEJAS.

#40 2 years ago

ZZ Top!

I've loved this band since I was in high school.

The passing of Dusty sucks. This one totally blindsided me.

Rest easy, dude. You've given me many years of great music.

Thank you.

Dusty-Hill (resized).jpgDusty-Hill (resized).jpg
#41 2 years ago

The only concert ever went to that I "lost" the car!

R.I.P. Joseph Michael "Dusty" Hill

Thanks for the soundtrack of my youth!!!

rs-181774-86117463 (resized).jpgrs-181774-86117463 (resized).jpg
#42 2 years ago

bayoubilly70

EUmI8p5UYAIn3nW (resized).jpgEUmI8p5UYAIn3nW (resized).jpg
#43 2 years ago

Stay away from the "six Pack"
Remastered Garbage.

rawImage (resized).jpgrawImage (resized).jpg
#44 2 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

Crossroads 2010

50 years.
Really, there are not any words...

Thank you sir

#45 2 years ago

Unfortunate news indeed, and sad to think it may be the end of the band (certainly wouldn't be the same without Dusty if they continue).

I always felt some connection to ZZ Top as my father built Frank a one-off car back in '92, and Frank would give us back-stage/after-show passes for the concerts when we could attend. During high school years, I helped work on one of Frank's cars.

**Unfortunately this seems to be the only photo I can find of me with any of the band at the moment (sister had it on FB)--was in 1997 (Frank's tour bus). With my sister and mother (RIP: 5/13/08).

I didn't have as much interaction with the rest of the band (always shy), but I do recall Dusty complimenting my Eliminator T-Shirt in 2003 . Last time I saw them perform was June 2012.

Dusty will be missed. It seems unlikely the current state of the music industry will ever create these sorts of legends again, and we're losing too many of them :/
403003_2974364434133_85156272_n (resized).jpg403003_2974364434133_85156272_n (resized).jpg

#46 2 years ago
Quoted from Medisinyl:

**Unfortunately this seems to be the only photo I can find of me with any of the band at the moment (sister had it on FB)--was in 1997 (Frank's tour bus).

Unfortunately? I would hazard a guess that not very many can even say they have a pic of themselves with one of the band, let alone with their mom wrapping her arms around her son and one of the band mates.

The only thing I can equate this to is that several years ago I met an old dude who used to race cars in the 1960s. He was showing me his photo albums of the races in the circuits he raced in. He talked about how one of the racers owned Kleenex Company ( still privately owned at the time) and the other racers called him Mr. Deep Pockets.

In his photo albums was a picture of Carol Shelby that he had taken. He knew Carol. Now, I have seen lots of pics of Carol Shelby in the magazines. But to see a "real" photo of Carol Shelby, before he hit the big time, I'd would have given my left nut for that photo.

Not long after Paul showing me his pictures, he got sick and died. I assume his family got the photo albums along with that pic of Shelby.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That's the kind of picture you have.

#47 2 years ago

Micheal Berry said today that the band was going to carry on using Dusties guitar tech.

#48 2 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

Unfortunately? I would hazard a guess that not very many can even say they have a pic of themselves one of the band, let alone with their mom wrapping her arms around her son and one of the band mates.

A photo with Dusty would have been more appropriate under the circumstances, which is what I hoped to find, and failed to do so. I found it unfortunate as I questioned if that photo would seem relevant enough.

I decided to post it anyway as I thought it helped show why this loss feels closer to home than some other celebrity might.

#49 2 years ago

The ZZ Top documentary on Amazon Prime is fantastic, learned so much I didn't know about these 3 amazing musicians.

I think what we are all coming to realize is that we are losing the last true musicians left in the industry. Who is coming up to fill their shoes? No one.

#50 2 years ago
Quoted from Xenon75:

"I think what we are all coming to realize is that we are losing the last true musicians left in the industry. Who is coming up to fill their shoes? No one."

I was born in 1961. I grew up with these bands, and they were a way of life for myself and my peers.
We lived and breathed rock and roll.
We went to concerts, bought albums and stereo gear. We knew what kind of guitars, effects and amps our heroes used.

I don't think kids are really like that anymore.

Sad, but true.

Most of these people are older than us, so naturally, we will be witness to their passing before our own time comes.

That's just the way it is.

There are 69 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/rip-dusty-hill-from-zz-top and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.