Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 75 posts
  • 49 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by MT45
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

AF4C3955-044F-4A13-B265-01B177C5F4C7 (resized).jpeg
    andyts (resized).jpg
    IMG_0484 (resized).jpg
    2EF27ABF-D586-40AE-813A-C60ABFD115E8 (resized).jpeg
    088F8D74-3A33-415C-B773-E77CC434939C (resized).jpeg
    C9549C95-A55B-470C-95FD-9356B48B01A3 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_0484 (resized).jpg
    CF0AAE7A-E4AE-4EA4-9705-8DEF6A9CAC7E (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mt45.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#15 5 years ago
    Quoted from VolunteerPin:

Andy is how I learned that pinball brings people together from different walks of life. If it were not for pinball I would have never met Andy and I will be forever grateful for my friendship with him. Even as I type this, tears well up in my eyes.

Darin said it all right there. Its been a long day and many tears as well. I've never met anyone as kind or as giving. He was the first local to reach out to me in friendship via Pinside. As with Darin, Andy changed me for the better. He changed how I think in such a positive way. I spoke to Andy last week and, as always he was so optimistic. We talked pinball, sunglasses and when/if he might be able to come home for a while. I am so glad I made that call.

When I got the message from Andy's dad this morning, I was in the airport and broke down in front of everyone - not much I could do. He was that kind of guy. Andy was only 38 years old. I will miss him terribly.

Below is a picture of Andy doing what he was always doings ... helping others.
    In this case, he was helping me haul a pinball into the house when he probably had better things to do. That was Andy. A real friend

IMG_0484 (resized).jpgIMG_0484 (resized).jpg
    3 weeks later
    #49 5 years ago
    Quoted from mozach:

Wow. This is a must read. It’s Andy’s story....
    https://thepinballloft.com/andy-part-2/

Thanks all for the kind comments. I’m not a trained writer and I was only writing what was on my heart and the words of his closest friends. It was a blessing to me to be able to do this. So many people contributed and deserve the thanks like Darin VolunteerPin and others who agreed to my interviews during a very challenging and emotional time. I am so very happy to hear that WHO Andy really was came out clearly in the tribute. That was my intent.

3 weeks later
    #52 5 years ago
    Quoted from Fezmid:

Great story. I didn't know him, but as one of those "self-proclaimed introverts," it makes me want to find the time to get to know people in the community a little more. RIP, Andy.

He was a special guy - for all who have read it or might want to ... I've added the Celebration of Life chapter to the very end.

https://thepinballloft.com

Just click the link at the top "Andy"

10 months later
    #53 4 years ago

It's been a year since he's been gone. Still miss him
    Remembering Andy this weekend - a very special guy

IMG_0484 (resized).jpgIMG_0484 (resized).jpg
    9 months later
    #57 3 years ago
    Quoted from Phoerber:

Guys like Andy are what makes this hobby great, giving this a bump to honor his memory - R.I.P.

Amen sir. Think about my friend almost every day. Was working on a Harlem restore today thinking about how he would have been right there with me - ugh

#59 3 years ago
    Quoted from RandomGuyOffCL:

Cancer cancer cancer...all I hear these days
    My mother in law is going through it right now
    A friend my age (42) starts chemo soon
    My other friend (63) just told me today he has it
    Other friend 34 died 5 years ago
    I must be next

Praying for healing for all. Wicked disease

2 months later
    #61 3 years ago

Tough anniversary today - if you knew him, remember him today and say a prayer for his family

Read about Andy here

#63 3 years ago
    Quoted from woody76:

such a good dude. Does anyone know how his daughter is doing?

She's doing fantastic! I'm friends with Andy's Mom JoAnne and his Dad, Len. They spend lots of time with Andy's daughter and she is growing up fast and doing well!
    Thanks for asking about her!

#64 3 years ago
    Quoted from woody76:

such a good dude. Does anyone know how his daughter is doing?

BTW, how are YOU after that terrible tornado?

#68 3 years ago
    Quoted from woody76:

just read through everything again and that picture at the end of Ida sitting on sidewalk looking at that picture got me man. Nothing like tearing up at work.

It gets me too ... in the same way. So glad to hear your positive comments about Andy - needed that especially today.

Also super happy to hear you’re moving into your new home! Congrats and enjoy this special time.

1 year later
    #70 1 year ago

Andy 4 years later

It's hard to believe it's been 4 years since my best friend passed away at the young age of 38. Best friends are hard to find, but Andy was irreplaceable. I won't rehash what I've already written about Andy and his remarkable life. Read about it on my blog if you haven't already. His story will bless you in some way - I promise.

Today's memorial post will highlight the changes in those few years: culturally, personally and Pinball related

Culture
    Andy would recognize people if he were still with us .. for the most part, they remain the same. Remember he loved everyone - from all walks of life. No matter the passage of time, Andy would still love you. Unfortunately, he would find that we are more socially divided than we were in 2018. He might not mention it, but it would be hard not to notice the changes. It feels like the world is moving to extremes, becoming more selfish and questioning all established standards of truth. The situation has now surpassed the simple politics of liberal vs conservative, or supply side vs demand side economics. Those were the good old days. Just 4 years ago life looked a lot simpler. Today we are debating pronouns, villifying our law enforcement and generally working overtime to make certain we don't hurt anyone's feelings. We have much bigger problems than pronouns and for some reason these narrow focus areas become the subsitute for the more pressing issues of mental health, senior care, inflation, national debt, mortage rates, censorship of all kinds, savings rates, government spending, violent crime, vandalism and on and on. We are supposed to get MORE civilized as time passes. I wonder if we are.

Personal
    Since Andy left us, many have lost loved ones through the normal course of time and due to the impact of COVID. Time waits for no one. Just a few weeks after Andy passed, I lost my Dad as well - to the very same disease (MDS). He passed away on Thanksgiving Day in 2018. I remember standing in the driveway when my Mom called and told me I should rush home because my Dad was not expected to make it. I hugged my family in the driveway in the cold morning air on that Thanksgiving Day and said "I'm sorry" and "I've got to go" to begin the 13 hour drive back to upstate NY. I got about half way there when I received the call from my Mom telling me he was gone. You know the rest of the story if you've lost anyone. Grief is a necessary but at times debilitating emotion. I attended my Dad's celebration of life event later in the spring and more than a hundred showed up to tell stories and celebrate my Dad's life. My Dad's brother Bob (my favorite Uncle) passed a few years after him, as did one of my cousins at a very young age from ALS. Sitting here at 59 years old I can say for sure that time DOES fly by. Thinking about my Dad as I write this post, I started to wonder what the most important thing was that he taught me? Its sounds too simple, but the answer is without a doubt ... he taught me to say "I love you". He did it by saying that to me almost every day of my life. Whatever you do, don't take loved ones for granted. Say thanks to friends and family for little things. Say I love you often - nobody gets sick of hearing it and everyone needs it. Life is short. The people you love are only going to know that if you tell them.

Pinball
    Pinball is essentially the same game but a lot around it has changed. Since 2018 prices have gone up by 25% or more for NIB machines. The good news is that for the most part, the quality of gameplay has also risen as we have been blessed to see the rise of the likes of Keith Elwin and the high performance machine that is Stern Pinball. Stern is delivering some of the best coded, best graphics, most cohesive, most "fun factor" machines since the game was invented. Andy would simply LOVE Elwin's Godzilla. He would learn about a new manufacturer in Australia called Haggis Pinball and probably be thrilled that they are remaking some of the old classics. The stranger-than-fiction story of Deeproot was already underway while Andy was with us, only to conclude in the worst possible way. He would be intensely sad, as were all of us, at the loss by suicide of the great Lyman Sheats (an epidemic now in our country). Andy loved connecting with people and he would embrace Stern's new "Connected" system that supports a more social engagement for Pinball, but at the same time he would be surprised that the "king" (Steve Ritchie) had moved over to Jersey Jack. Yes, a lot has changed in 4 years, but overall I think Andy would be thrilled with the game quality, variety and current popularity of Pinball. I only wish he was here to see it.

4 years ago Andy's family and friends helped me write his story. I think Andy would be pleased at how he has been remembered. Andy cared about and loved people more than anything. Pinball was just a means to an end of connecting with people. Love is really what mattered to Andy. He understood that loving each other fixes a lot of things, it keeps bad stuff at bay, it fosters forgiveness and it repairs broken people. For the short time we are on this earth we should be like Andy and take every chance we get to share it.

AF4C3955-044F-4A13-B265-01B177C5F4C7 (resized).jpegAF4C3955-044F-4A13-B265-01B177C5F4C7 (resized).jpeg

#72 1 year ago
    Quoted from Don44:

Andy sounds like he was a great guy. It’s nice that you keep his memory alive MT45. Ok time to call my dad now

Thanks … and if this prompted a call even better

#75 1 year ago
    Quoted from VolunteerPin:

Tim, thank you for the memories and perspective. I still miss Andy a ton and was literally just telling someone about him the other day. More Andy’s in this world would solve a lot of issues…

So true.

Quoted from Methos:

Great write up and puts things in perspective very well. Wish I would have had a chance to meet Andy.
    Let's be kind...as they say.

Amen to that

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mt45.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/rip-drewblood419?tu=mt45 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.