Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 159 posts
  • 91 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by o-din
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

jm2 (resized).jpg
    jm3 (resized).jpg
    jm (resized).jpg
    504 (resized).JPG
    502 (resized).JPG
    493 (resized).JPG
    490 (resized).JPG
    352 (resized).JPG
    349 (resized).JPG
    350 (resized).JPG
    DSCN3918 (resized).JPG
    DSCN3937 (resized).JPG
    DSCN3912 (resized).JPG
    DSCN3913 (resized).JPG
    DSCN3940 (resized).JPG
    DSCN3939 (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Rarehero.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 7 years ago

Last week, Donald Margolis passed away. He only posted once (a few weeks ago)...but he was Terapin99 on Pinside, and I'm sure a lot of people here knew him, sold him games, and bought games from him...while he wasn't prolific on the forums, he was a prolific collector for sure. He was constantly buying and selling games...pretty much all day and all night! I met him in 2013, when I bought his CSI pin. He was an eccentric guy, but always warm and welcoming...he loved talking about pins with other collectors on the phone...and he always wanted people to come by and play games, which I did a few times...and he came to my home as well to play pins.

R.I.P. Don

Does anyone have any stories about Don they'd like to share?

http://www.thegroffs.com/obituaries/Donald-Margolis-2/#!/Obituary

#23 7 years ago

I'm glad he had so many friends here! I was a bit worried that no one had posted this before I did...I found out over the weekend, but I hesitated cuz I wasn't sure it was my place to post about it....but after seeing all the responses, I'm glad I did...as he truly had a lot of friends that post here.

When I first met him, I remember he was so proud to show me his AC/DC BIBLE - he said, and I'm paraphrasing - "AC/DC has the WORST sound I've ever heard in a game...I had to do something about it!" I was like "Don, I have an AC/DC Premium and the stock sound is fantastic" "NO WAY! IT'S SHIT!!! Check this out!" So he opens the coin door and there's a massive audio amp of some sort inside...he turns it on, hits start...BLRRRRP BLRRRRRRP BLRRRRRRRRP...it's nothing but distorted farting bass - you couldn't even hear lyrics or anything else...just BASS. He gives me an 'aren't you impressed' look and says "YEAH!?!?? Doesn't that sound incredible!!?". I'm like "Don...I gotta be honest...this sounds like fucking shit! It's nothing but bass!". He says "Oh yeah? Hmm...well, I went to so many concerts over the years, I can barely hear anything anymore...it sounds good to me!"

He loved modding games, whether he was good at it or not. The CSI I bought from him had the XXX titty translite (which I immediately removed) and a completely messed up LED job. Instead of replacing them one at a time, he had pulled all the light sockets out and put most of them back in the wrong spot...so almost nothing made sense lol. He never noticed that the inserts had nothing to do with what was actually happening, or that it had a board problem which caused a bunch of lights to malfunction...as he was more interested in modding it than playing it. To his credit, he had paid Laseriffic to make a really sweet custom topper - he claimed he had the only one like it! I should dig up a pic of it. Anyway, I can't complain...after pointing out all the goofy stuff, he gave me a great price - which I gladly paid and fixed the game after I got it home.

I never bought another game from him after CSI - but whenever I had a game for sale - he always Emailed or called me to see if I was interested in a trade....and that's when we'd shoot the shit and catch up. He definitely had his eyes on pinside like a hawk!!!

#46 7 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

Hope some of you trusted locals are stepping in to help sell off his collection. Sounds like he does not have anyone knowledgeable or in his life that is able to do this.

Not sure it's our place or even legal to do anything with his collection. Well, I hope he had a will...I would assume his family and maybe his girlfriend would be involved in his estate...but I have no idea.

#51 7 years ago
    Quoted from PinMonk:

Wow, 48 is really young. Was he sick, or was it something sudden like a heart attack?
    RIP...

Well, I mean - he was not in good physical shape. I would assume it was heart related.

#62 7 years ago

I found some pics of the CSI I bought from Don with the 1-of-a-kind Laseriffic topper!

602511_10201260163214594_1321104745_n (resized).jpg602511_10201260163214594_1321104745_n (resized).jpg

944866_10201260159974513_1201759228_n (resized).jpg944866_10201260159974513_1201759228_n (resized).jpg

#69 7 years ago
    Quoted from CaptainNeo:

I still have the transformers he bought NIB, when we did a huge trade like 4 or 5 years ago.

Which one? I think he went through about 10 Transformers! At the time, Amazon was selling pins...he'd buy them from Amazon, play it for a little bit, and return it before the refund cut-off....and then buy another one! I was like "Why do you keep buying this game over and over again instead of just keeping one?" ...he was like "I just like opening boxes!!!!"

#112 7 years ago
    Quoted from roc-noc:

Don was a flipper.

Not really in the traditional sense...I don't think he was making much if any money from selling games. He just liked the thrill of getting new ones, so the old ones left...sometimes quickly. He'd take a loss on a game just to get it gone.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Rarehero.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/rip-donald-margolis-terapin99?tu=Rarehero and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.