Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 159 posts
  • 91 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by o-din
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

jm2 (resized).jpg
    jm3 (resized).jpg
    jm (resized).jpg
    504 (resized).JPG
    502 (resized).JPG
    493 (resized).JPG
    490 (resized).JPG
    352 (resized).JPG
    349 (resized).JPG
    350 (resized).JPG
    DSCN3918 (resized).JPG
    DSCN3937 (resized).JPG
    DSCN3912 (resized).JPG
    DSCN3913 (resized).JPG
    DSCN3940 (resized).JPG
    DSCN3939 (resized).JPG

There are 159 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 4.
    #101 7 years ago

Not only a Great Guy, but obviously had Great Friends! You Guys are A-1

#102 7 years ago

I got a good chuckle out of the Camel lights comment above.. I sold that to him along with many other games. He was a great guy. When he bought the Camel lights I had it sitting in our warehouse for years. He begged me to sell it to him at what ever I wanted he didn't care. He wanted it because thats how his family had made his money In a cigarette and convenience store distribution company.
    Great guy and great customer.

#103 7 years ago

I saw that Camel Lights machine but didn't play it. It was a classic alright.

#104 7 years ago

I met Don when I had 3 Tron Le's and I offered to one trade for a BIBLE . We talked for hours and hours,well he talked and I mainly listened. The deal finally happened,but I had to drive to Beverly hill at 11pm and meet with Don and Gio who drove to Carlsbad to get the BIBLE from Steve. I don't know how he got it all lined up,but I am glad he did.

He had Subwoofers on every game in the room. You could not hear shit in that house. He must have been deaf ,and blind too cause he was a LED fanatic . He loved pinball though .

He called a few more times over the years looking for Tron Le's . Those pins were great trade bait . He will be missed

RIP Don

#105 7 years ago

Damn.... just hearing this now.. Done many deals with Don in the past and even converted his house to LED for him.

Whats the way to mourn a pinball guy? Pour out pinballs on the curb?

#106 7 years ago
    Quoted from NiftyLED:

Whats the way to mourn a pinball guy? Pour out pinballs on the curb?

I liked Concretehardt's idea to put Don's initials in your game, especially if you own one of his previous games which it seems a lot of us, including myself, do.

#107 7 years ago

I just realized I had a brush with Don as I scanned through my old PMs. He contacted me about a NOS wired EATPM playfield he had and thought I might be interested. I ultimately passed on the deal but found out he was local. It's a shame I never met him...

RIP

#108 7 years ago

Never met the guy but wish I did, sounds like he was an awesome guy.

#109 7 years ago

My jaw dropped when I heard he had passed. Been to his house a few times and he was also fun to talk and play games with. Rest in peace buddy.

#110 7 years ago
    Quoted from RobT:

My biggest fear is that some of the flippers are just circling like vultures ready to pounce on his collection.

BFD. Don would be belly laughing after reading your post Rob and also Hilton's post that you replied to. The guy just died and you are worried about his collection? Its ONLY pinball. Maybe it's time to reassess life's priorities.

Don was a flipper. He wasn't building a museum or a pinball foundation. He enjoyed life and pins as they came and went. In his life, there were no rules. He lived big and didn't care about political correctness. Which is also why he avoided posting on pinside.

But he loved reading the controversy. He knew I had a NIB Tron LE for years and dared me to post it for sale at $20,000 just to piss people off.

When I finally decided to sell it and I listed it at $15,000 firm.... guess who bought it.

#111 7 years ago
    Quoted from BLACK_ROSE:

Sad News Indeed ..... I've been deal-N w/ Don for years also .. I've sold him 3 of my Pins and 1 of the Bankers .. The Last 1 he bought from me was my mod'd out IMVE ... Don called me Late as usual , i could tell he had been drink-N , He was a Trip .. He was hesitant on buy-N my IMVE because he said he was gonna use that $ to pay for new Terracotta Tiles to be installed on his roof , said the Calif- Sun was Hell on Roof tOps out there .. He didn't post alot , but when I had a 4-Sale Thread and he was the Invisible buyer , I would only say ,
    Sold !! It's will be headed to Beverly Hills .. To me that sounded gOod ... Don was a Killer guy and my Friend and the same age as me ...
    In conversations w/ him , he told me how he made his Fortune and Retired so young .. I'll keep that to myself in respect of Don ..
    I Will miss Don 4 Sure ...
    1 thing Is 4 Sure ,, Death will get Us All 1 day ,, Young or Old ,, and I Respect Rarehero 4 starting this Thread because I wouldn't have known that Don had passed away due to me not coming Here like I use to ... I Hope when my day comes , some 1 will do the Same for me .. To All U Pinheads here ,,, Live Life to the Fullest and Be Safe ..... B_R

I just wanted to say that AFAIK Don abstained from booze and drugs during his pinball years. He had a wild way with words that might have given a different impression. He had ADHD and was naturally on fire.

There was a period in his life when he had abused all those things, but during the last 5 years that I knew him, he was clean and sober.

#112 7 years ago
    Quoted from roc-noc:

Don was a flipper.

Not really in the traditional sense...I don't think he was making much if any money from selling games. He just liked the thrill of getting new ones, so the old ones left...sometimes quickly. He'd take a loss on a game just to get it gone.

#113 7 years ago
    Quoted from roc-noc:

The guy just died and you are worried about his collection?

As I knew Don very well, games were coming and going at an alarming rate, and some of the machines at his house at the time of his demise were not even his. Plus there was unfinished business with people who he was buying and selling games with and doing other business with, I'm sure a lot of which didn't have much of a paper trail.

As much as I loved the guy, I hope when the dust settles, those that were involved in a transaction will get taken care of. I myself am not concerned about pursuing a backglass that was to come my way as it is only a drop in the bucket when I look at the big picture.

#114 7 years ago
    Quoted from Rarehero:

Not really in the traditional sense...I don't think he was making much if any money from selling games. He just liked the thrill of getting new ones, so the old ones left...sometimes quickly. He'd take a loss on a game just to get it gone.

So he was an non-traditional flipper. Don was a lot of fun.

#115 7 years ago

He wasn't a flipper. He had an itchy buy it now trigger finger. And the rest of us did what we could by taking some out of there so he could still walk thru his house.

Last I talked to him he said he was up to about 70 machines. It's going to be a lot of work to sort all that out I'm sure.

#116 7 years ago
    Quoted from RobT:

My biggest fear is that some of the flippers are just circling like vultures ready to pounce on his collection.

I didn't know vultures pounced. I had always thought that was a cat thing. Don't fear, RobT, I'm sure there's nothing to flip as it seems like Donny spent his money passionately.

#117 7 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

As I knew Don very well, games were coming and going at an alarming rate, and some of the machines at his house at the time of his demise were not even his.

Ben there done that. About thirteen years ago Don Robinson of D.R. Service passed
    away very abruptly. People came in and grabbed what they could. And Yes, it was
    as if everybody were vultures over a dead carcass.

#118 7 years ago

I don't know what else to say except usually, right now, we'd be talking on the phone laughing our asses off.

#119 7 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

I don't know what else to say except usually, right now, we'd be talking on the phone laughing our asses off.

Django!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#120 7 years ago

The thought went thru my head the day this thread started...first I was saddened we lost Don so young, damn to young, he had another 20 in him easy, must of been his heart.
    Then it was the thought of the vultures picking and pecking at the collection he valued so much. The pins were his kids and family. He loved this sport, and yes it can be a sport to some. There heavy if you never noticed. Can be a workout.
    I would like his brother to take control, he knows the value of this stuff and might know a few in the gang out here.
    But there is no hurry, the pins don't need food and water. I am wondering about Cooper, Odin any news on if he's being taken care of by a someone close?

#121 7 years ago
    Quoted from Ericpinballfan:

Odin any news on if he's being taken care of by a someone close?

I honestly don't know, but I'd imagine somebody is.I don't know or haven't been in contact with anybody in his family. I've been too busy taking care of my elderly mother and didn't find out about Don's passing until this thread started. I read in this thread that others are already looking to take care of Cooper.

Quoted from Ericpinballfan:

Then it was the thought of the vultures picking and pecking at the collection he valued so much. The pins were his kids and family

Not really. To use Don's own words, which he said to me over and over again-

"Help me get rid of this shit!"

#122 7 years ago

+1 What o-din said about the pins. That's Donny speaking. AFAIK Donny had mostly EMs and Woodrails left in the house. Not sure if he had storage units but I doubt it since he never mentioned it and didn't own a truck or pin carrying car. Most likely he left extra pins on "loan" with friends. If so, you know who you are and I don't see any crime unless Barry asks for them back. If it were me, I would come clean and let Barry know if I had Don's property. Barry has a big pin collector friend that will probably guide the outcome.

I left a message with Barry about people willing to take Cooper. No reply yet. I'm pretty sure the estate will go to Barry and family. Probate takes a long time. Barry can't get rid of the shit as fast as Donny could as Barry doesn't own it yet.

#123 7 years ago
    Quoted from roc-noc:

Donny had mostly EMs and Woodrails left in the house.

As far as I know, those were all his and paid for as he hadn't brought in any more EMs for quite some time. I might be able to help find homes for some of them

As far as the newer games, DMDs and such, I'm not sure, but was told a couple were being babysit so he did not own them and also he sold a machine that was not his but another friends of ours and the owner has not been paid yet.

#124 7 years ago

he did rebuy BBB again. Had 3 BM66's paid for. bought some other big ticket things recently and had money tied up on some preorder stuff. I know he was getting out of woodrails and going back to modern things. I just got done restoring a custom Playboy CPR field for him that he was having totally restored. Shipped it out about 4 days before he died. he was looking forward to seeing that game complete.

#125 7 years ago
    Quoted from CaptainNeo:

he did rebuy BBB again. Had 3 BM66's paid for. bought some other big ticket things recently and had money tied up on some preorder stuff. I know he was getting out of woodrails and going back to modern things. I just got done restoring a custom Playboy CPR field for him that he was having totally restored. Shipped it out about 4 days before he died. he was looking forward to seeing that game complete.

He sold the 3 BM66 LE's and his BM66 SLE last month.

#126 7 years ago

i know he was trying to, but didn't know if it was a success or not. thought one fell through.

#127 7 years ago

I am willing to compile a list of any open deals with Donny, pins on loan, etc., and forward it to his family when they are ready to address it.

Please send details to my email. Start by sending me a pm and I'll provide you with my email address.

Tom

#128 7 years ago

Yea, Sorry to hear this. He bought my Close Encounters EM. That was my first dealings. Never heard the final word on the game and how it turned out. Really sad.

#129 7 years ago
    Quoted from RobT:

Ya..all those dirtbags on craigslist

I just learned today that my old STLE came from him initially

RIPizzle

#130 7 years ago
    Quoted from roc-noc:

I am willing to compile a list of any open deals with Donny, pins on loan, etc., and forward it to his family when they are ready to address it.
    Please send details to my email. Start by sending me a pm and I'll provide you with my email address.
    Tom

So kind of you to do this. Not be a braggart, but I have his 15 BM66SLEs. Don't tell Barry.

#131 7 years ago

Sorry to read about Don's passing, RIP.

#132 7 years ago

The name Don and terapin99 sounded so familiar, I had to search through my PMs to see if I was crazy or not. I wasnt, turns out I spoke with Don briefly when I had acquired 3 NIB Elvis Gold machines a few years ago. He was a real fun guy to talk to, and that's how I remembered him.

#133 7 years ago

So sad to hear about Don's passing !
    Super nice guy !
    I made quite a few Custom MOD's for some of his favorite Pins.
    RIP Don

#134 7 years ago

Really sad to hear this. I spoke to Don when I was selling my BBB. He was a unique character. We hit it off n the phone for over 3+ hours! Don shared an abbreviated version of his life story, family business, and eccentric pinball collecting. He even insisted I google earth his home address in Beverly Hills so he could point out his house - then zillow - so he could give me a virtual tour. We didn't end up working out a deal, but what a charismatic guy. Offered next I'm in town to swing by play pinball, see the area and hang out. Never happened, my loss.

Rest in peace Don. Thanks Rarehero for letting us know of his passing.

#135 7 years ago

This is really sad news. I had no idea of his passing until seeing this thread. I sold approximately 15 pins to Don and purchased close to 50 from him over the years. He was one of the most unique guys you would ever meet. Every trip to his house turned into an all day visit because as others mentioned, Don loved to talk. He lived a full life and had some crazy stories. He also had a huge heart.
    I got a chance to play some of the nicest and rarest machines at his home. He always tried to own the best of the best and would often own the same machine multiple times.
    For a while I was going to his house 3 or 4 times a month and there would be a dozen new pins in his house and half a dozen pins gone that I had played the week before.
    He also loved to buy machines and then take them apart and add LED's and mods but many times he would leave them half done. I bought 5 or 6 pins from him that had the playfields dismantled with a box of parts where he just lost interest and I would put them back together.
    He was also a huge movie and music fan and had an incredible home theater that just about blew my ear drums out.
    I will truly miss visiting Don. RIP

#136 7 years ago

Don sounded like a great pinballer and great story teller of pinballs, and of life itself.
    My condolences for him and his family..
    Anyone have any pictures of his collection ?, or Pin that you bought or sold to him?
    I am sure he would really appreciate that..
    I would love a pic of his mancave...in Beverly Hills..swimming pool included.
    Thanks everybody.

#137 7 years ago

Don wasn't a frequent poster and only posted twice that I can remember. One of those threads has long been deleted I believe. But he followed the forum and the marketplace pretty regularly.

Quoted from limelime20:

Anyone have any pictures of his collection ?

This is only a small sampling of the games that came and went in the time I knew Don.

https://pinside.com/pinball/community/pinsiders/terapin99/gameroom

I took quite a few pics while i was up there but the memory card I had them on got wiped recently. Not on purpose either.

#138 7 years ago

This is how I picture Don's place in my minds eye, he always had games coming and going.

IMG_6531 (resized).JPGIMG_6531 (resized).JPG

#139 7 years ago
    Quoted from limelime20:

or Pin that you bought or sold to him?

My 1972 Gottlieb Flying Carpet I sold Don. It would be interesting to know if it is still in his collection, not that I want it to buy it back even though it was a fun game.

Gottlieb Flying Carpet Finished 002 (resized).JPGGottlieb Flying Carpet Finished 002 (resized).JPG

#140 7 years ago

Is there a picture of Don? Great game Em.. Anyone have a picture of him playing..?? or just him?

#141 7 years ago
    Quoted from Concretehardt:

This is how I picture Don's place in my minds eye, he always had games coming and going.

That's pretty much what the garage looked like. Packed. I found a couple from inside that were taken within the last year.
    Edit- Sorry for the duplicates, but photo upload has gone bonkers and I can't edit out the extras.
    Shelfs (resized).jpgShelfs (resized).jpg
    ab2abb3f2e2 (resized).jpgab2abb3f2e2 (resized).jpg

#142 7 years ago

Here are some of the games that I either purchased from Don, sold to Don or traded with him. There were some games that he bought from me and sold back to me 2 weeks later and then bought it back 2 weeks after that. He would have so many machines at a time that he couldn't play them all and would miss them as soon as they were gone.
    One of the nicest pins I purchased from him was a restored Johnny Mnemonic with a whitewood playfield that was restored by azpinlawyer with custom cabinet art. I can't seem to find the photo. I think I bought it the day after Don bought it and he never even played the game.
    He was a very impulsive buyer for sure.

EVERYTHING 2043 (resized).JPGEVERYTHING 2043 (resized).JPG

EVERYTHING 1995 (resized).JPGEVERYTHING 1995 (resized).JPG

SAM_4692 (resized).JPGSAM_4692 (resized).JPG

SAM_0376 (resized).JPGSAM_0376 (resized).JPG

SAM_0363 (resized).JPGSAM_0363 (resized).JPG

EVERYTHING 2100 (resized).JPGEVERYTHING 2100 (resized).JPG

EVERYTHING 2083 (resized).JPGEVERYTHING 2083 (resized).JPG

SAM_0341 (resized).JPGSAM_0341 (resized).JPG

EVERYTHING 1837 (resized).JPGEVERYTHING 1837 (resized).JPG

SAM_4454 (resized).JPGSAM_4454 (resized).JPG

EVERYTHING 1775 (resized).JPGEVERYTHING 1775 (resized).JPG

SAM_0589 (resized).JPGSAM_0589 (resized).JPG

SAM_0548 (resized).JPGSAM_0548 (resized).JPG

EVERYTHING 891 (resized).JPGEVERYTHING 891 (resized).JPG

EVERYTHING 1127 (resized).JPGEVERYTHING 1127 (resized).JPG

EVERYTHING 1372 (resized).JPGEVERYTHING 1372 (resized).JPG

EVERYTHING 1282 (resized).JPGEVERYTHING 1282 (resized).JPG

EVERYTHING 1339 (resized).JPGEVERYTHING 1339 (resized).JPG

SAM_4276 (resized).JPGSAM_4276 (resized).JPG

SAM_0559 (resized).JPGSAM_0559 (resized).JPG

SAM_4525 (resized).JPGSAM_4525 (resized).JPG

#143 7 years ago

All is not lost! I found some on another card. I'm going to give this another try.

#144 7 years ago

DSCN3931 (resized).JPGDSCN3931 (resized).JPG

DSCN3924 (resized).JPGDSCN3924 (resized).JPG

DSCN3920 (resized).JPGDSCN3920 (resized).JPG

DSCN3934 (resized).JPGDSCN3934 (resized).JPG

DSCN3932 (resized).JPGDSCN3932 (resized).JPG

DSCN3937 (resized).JPGDSCN3937 (resized).JPG

DSCN3939 (resized).JPGDSCN3939 (resized).JPG

DSCN3940 (resized).JPGDSCN3940 (resized).JPG

#145 7 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

All is not lost! I found some on another card. I'm going to give this another try.

You're good... you're up to 4 of each pic.

#146 7 years ago
    Quoted from Baiter:

You're good... you're up to 4 of each pic.

I have no idea what's going on. I added a bunch of pics and it posted those again. Then they showed up in another post when I tried to edit it once again.

Mods, please help clean up this mess.

#147 7 years ago

One more try. My truck backed into Don's garage. If this doesn't work, I quit!

#148 7 years ago

DSCN3913 (resized).JPGDSCN3913 (resized).JPG

DSCN3912 (resized).JPGDSCN3912 (resized).JPG

DSCN3937 (resized).JPGDSCN3937 (resized).JPG

#149 7 years ago

This ones for you EMpinman! Should be coming along shortly...

#150 7 years ago

DSCN3918 (resized).JPGDSCN3918 (resized).JPG

There are 159 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 4.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/rip-donald-margolis-terapin99/page/3 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.