By Rarehero

9 months ago

Stats

• 159 posts
  • 91 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 months ago by o-din
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

Find

Search this topic for posts matching certain words or written by a specific Pinsider. Or both!

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 73 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

jm2 (resized).jpg
    jm3 (resized).jpg
    jm (resized).jpg
    504 (resized).JPG
    502 (resized).JPG
    493 (resized).JPG
    490 (resized).JPG
    352 (resized).JPG
    349 (resized).JPG
    350 (resized).JPG
    DSCN3918 (resized).JPG
    DSCN3937 (resized).JPG
    DSCN3912 (resized).JPG
    DSCN3913 (resized).JPG
    DSCN3940 (resized).JPG
    DSCN3939 (resized).JPG

There are 159 posts in topic. You are on page 1 of 4.
    #1 9 months ago

Last week, Donald Margolis passed away. He only posted once (a few weeks ago)...but he was Terapin99 on Pinside, and I'm sure a lot of people here knew him, sold him games, and bought games from him...while he wasn't prolific on the forums, he was a prolific collector for sure. He was constantly buying and selling games...pretty much all day and all night! I met him in 2013, when I bought his CSI pin. He was an eccentric guy, but always warm and welcoming...he loved talking about pins with other collectors on the phone...and he always wanted people to come by and play games, which I did a few times...and he came to my home as well to play pins.

R.I.P. Don

Does anyone have any stories about Don they'd like to share?

http://www.thegroffs.com/obituaries/Donald-Margolis-2/#!/Obituary

#3 9 months ago

RIP Donald

#4 9 months ago

Sad......RIP Don.

#5 9 months ago

I've had few conversations with Don. Quite a character. God speed, buddy!

#6 9 months ago

I sold my STLE to Don a couple of years ago.

We talked a few times in the phone and he was always nice. I remember telling him that I had a couple of weeks vacation coming up and that I really didn't have any plans at that time and he told me that I should fly out to California and visit him in Beverly Hills. He said he would take me and my family out and show us around, play pinball at his house. My wife was still in school at the time so I wasn't able to take him up on the offer.

RIP Don.

#7 9 months ago

RIP Don.

#8 9 months ago

I'm sorry to hear this. He was relatively young, under 50, if I'm not mistaken?? I just logged in to Pinside to take my mind off the loss of another friend and all the sadness my friends are going through on Facebook and this post is the first one I see. Hold your loved ones tightly, guys. Be present for them. You just never know..

#9 9 months ago

I had the pleasure of meeting Don once. He bought a machine I was selling, I delivered it, and I ended up buying one of his while I was there. Had just met the guy and he was so cool I hung out for a while while we talked and played a few games. I know some more of my friends out there knew him and want to give my condolences to them and to his family, he will be missed.

#10 9 months ago

I am deeply saddened by this news! I talked to Don on Feb 4th and he hadn't been feeling well, I sent him a text Thursday and never heard back. Don was my friend and we spent many late nights talking on the phone about pinball and life over the years. Don was a very unique individual with a good heart, I will miss him very much! Zichrono Levracha - Rest In Peace my Jewish brother.

#11 9 months ago

Wow. Most of the pin friends that I have in SoCal know Don and have done deals with him, but I never had the pleasure of meeting him myself.

Very sorry to hear this.

#12 9 months ago

None, but not good to see someone that is into this leave us.....condolences to your family

#13 9 months ago

Sorry to hear this. I purchased my fully tricked out RFM from Don. I ended up talking to the guy on the phone for well over an hour and I'm not a phone person. The guy had some crazy stories of buying and selling pinball machines and of his family business and it seemed like most of them were probably true! RIP man, way too young!

#14 9 months ago

Bummer he was too young. RIP

#15 9 months ago

Donny lived a colorful life and had many good stories to back it up. RIP my friend.

#16 9 months ago

What? you sure? Don is a good friend that we have spent many many hours on the phone. I just talked to him not that long ago. What the hell happened?

I have spent more time on the phone with Don, that probably all pinball people combined. In the past 4 years of knowing him, I have well over 200 hours on the phone with him. When you have 2 talkers together, it's nonstop. For 3 days in a row I had 3- 6 hour conversations with him back to back to back. This is very sad news indeed. I was just going to call him this morning. He will be missed. Farewell my friend.

#17 9 months ago

Un-f@<king believable...

I still can't believe I'm finding out about this now.

Thanks for all the good times AND games Don.
    O-Din and I will most certainly need to make a trip to Dan Tana's in your honor.

Alas,
    Too bad we didn't get to make one happen with you in tow sooner this year...
    That's on me.

For those that didn't know Don, he went through pins and pin-related items faster than most American's toilet paper supply after a Taco Bell binge. We kinda loved him for that because there was always "something" new Don had just picked up.
    It wasn't out of the ordinary to see his whole shiny collection disappear, only to re-appear a week later, sporting a completely different era.

I met him during his early DMD era of collecting almost right after meeting O-din if I can recall; now after seeing the woodrail era of his collection come to fruition and slowly fade I was curious to see where Don would venture next.

The latest and or, greatest machines still had a place, (albeit a temporary one) in the lineup which made choosing these pricey titles for our own use a bit easier to stomach since we could actually get some time in on them at Don's since he was usually the first one to have ___.
    Of course they weren't usually level and would already have retina burning flashers installed by the time we got there but at least they flipped.

If he ended up not liking it and you did, then life was good since he'd usually sell it to you cheaper than he bought it for.
    As nice as those occasions were for a semi-poor pinhead like me, Don's no B.S. personality and amazing stories from his youth were what kept me coming back up the hill.

Well, seeing Coop too...

He was definitely a unique individual and will be greatly missed.

R.I.P. Don

#18 9 months ago

I just found out myself and still have a hard time believing it.

We became pretty good friends over the last several years and spent many late nights talking and laughing on the phone. He was a fun loving guy and a pinball enthusiast like no other. It was always an adventure hopping in the truck and heading on up the hill to pay him a visit.

I was just thinking about calling him tonight before I found out the news.

RIP brother. See you on the other side.

#19 9 months ago

Very sad news, speechless rip bro.

#20 9 months ago

I got to hang with Don about 18 months back, when Nimble and Odin introduced us and we all went to Dan Tana's where Don was a regular.

Afterwards we went up to Donnies house in the hills and Don and I stood out on the balcony talking cars and music for ages. We had a heap in common and hit it off immediately.

Donnie PMd me quite a few times over the last year, mainly talking about what car he should get to replace his beloved Jag R convertible that he ripped up the streets of Hollywood with. He was contemplating a Ferrari but didn't like the wanker factor lol!

And he wanted to buy the BM66SLE I had been offered ... I think he had two of them lined up in the end. Always wheeling and dealing ...

Anyways, it was a great pleasure to meet Donnie (thanks to Nimble and Odin)

What a bummer.

rd

#21 9 months ago

This is absolutely terrible news. I just found out about this through pinside of all places. :-(. I'm absolutely sick about this. Don was a good friend of mine and I had been to his place a few times in Beverly Hills. So many good laughs. An absolute wild man. I was wondering why I hadn't heard back from him in a few weeks. Just awful. I'm in shock. I can't wrap my head around this being actually true. God damn it. I'm so sorry you're gone my friend. :-((. You will be dearly missed.

#22 9 months ago

I didn't know him but it's clear he was a good pinball soul. May he rest in peace.

#23 9 months ago

I'm glad he had so many friends here! I was a bit worried that no one had posted this before I did...I found out over the weekend, but I hesitated cuz I wasn't sure it was my place to post about it....but after seeing all the responses, I'm glad I did...as he truly had a lot of friends that post here.

When I first met him, I remember he was so proud to show me his AC/DC BIBLE - he said, and I'm paraphrasing - "AC/DC has the WORST sound I've ever heard in a game...I had to do something about it!" I was like "Don, I have an AC/DC Premium and the stock sound is fantastic" "NO WAY! IT'S SHIT!!! Check this out!" So he opens the coin door and there's a massive audio amp of some sort inside...he turns it on, hits start...BLRRRRP BLRRRRRRP BLRRRRRRRRP...it's nothing but distorted farting bass - you couldn't even hear lyrics or anything else...just BASS. He gives me an 'aren't you impressed' look and says "YEAH!?!?? Doesn't that sound incredible!!?". I'm like "Don...I gotta be honest...this sounds like fucking shit! It's nothing but bass!". He says "Oh yeah? Hmm...well, I went to so many concerts over the years, I can barely hear anything anymore...it sounds good to me!"

He loved modding games, whether he was good at it or not. The CSI I bought from him had the XXX titty translite (which I immediately removed) and a completely messed up LED job. Instead of replacing them one at a time, he had pulled all the light sockets out and put most of them back in the wrong spot...so almost nothing made sense lol. He never noticed that the inserts had nothing to do with what was actually happening, or that it had a board problem which caused a bunch of lights to malfunction...as he was more interested in modding it than playing it. To his credit, he had paid Laseriffic to make a really sweet custom topper - he claimed he had the only one like it! I should dig up a pic of it. Anyway, I can't complain...after pointing out all the goofy stuff, he gave me a great price - which I gladly paid and fixed the game after I got it home.

I never bought another game from him after CSI - but whenever I had a game for sale - he always Emailed or called me to see if I was interested in a trade....and that's when we'd shoot the shit and catch up. He definitely had his eyes on pinside like a hawk!!!

#24 9 months ago

Sounds like a great guy and it's so nice this topic exists we should all be so lucky to have one opened after our own passing! Fellin' the love here

#26 9 months ago

Rip
    May the Pin Gods Be With You.
    Just spoke with him a few months back when I was in Hollywood.
    Defiantly an interesting person.
    Pincades
    JT

#27 9 months ago
    Quoted from Rarehero:

was a bit worried that no one had posted this before I did...

That's because he was still alive, making plans and talking to folks just the other week.

I know O-Din's new Darts glass was inbound sooner than later and I was looking forward to tagging along with him to see Don again after an already hectic early 2017.

All I could do after hearing this sad news earlier was to hug my family and tell them I love them.

It's almost 3AM and I'm still up wide awake shaking my head.

#28 9 months ago

RIP
    -Mike

#29 9 months ago

I am just shocked over this and had just talked to him about a month ago. My favorite moment with him was when he got his WWELE and called me to make a topper, I started joking that he would be the only one with it since it wasn't that popular of a game. He then asked me how far I lived from Ohare airport, I said about an hour and he said head that way I'm reserving you a ticket to come out for the weekend and play it with me. At the time we were so busy I couldn't leave but today I wish I had.

RIP Don I'll miss those calls

Joe

#30 9 months ago

Sorry to hear about good pinball people passing. If rare hero knew and liked him he must have been nice. Just hate to hear all this. We need some good news folks.

#31 9 months ago

I didn't know him personally but he went to high school with a couple of my friends. Sorry to hear this news, condolences to the family.

#32 9 months ago

Man Don was a character and we would always go back and forth on deals. Sometimes it was like arguing with my wife. We would talk forever about old Grateful Dead shows and his family and their business back east. I remember his driveway being too steep for NAVL and he had to be creative. He traded pinballs like baseball cards and they were always blinged out. For the first year or so I thought he was out there, but as I got to know him he became a good friend. I will miss you Don and my prayers go out to your family.

#33 9 months ago

Only had one dealing with him and sold Don my Gottlieb Flying Carpet a while back. Did not know him but we talked on the phone for like 45 minutes. I could tell just from that short talk I liked him. R.I.P. Don.

#34 9 months ago

Last year I sold my Mata Hari SS to Don. During the sale he called me and we traded a few pin stories and I ended up talking with him for hours. He made fun of my Cleveland weather versus where he lived...and he even texted me a few pictures of his swimming pool to rub it in, and graciously invited me to stop by if I was ever in the area. He bought my Mata Hari SS just so he could set it beside his Mata Hari EM version which is pretty rare, which struck me that he probably had some pretty interesting titles. I mean, who the heck has room for two titles of the same game??!!?? I wish I had the opportunity meet Don and talk in person with such an interesting character. So anyhow, even though I never met you face to face, RIP Terapin.

#35 9 months ago

Don's maid discovered his body. I got the call from the Fire Dept when they showed up. My caller ID was the most recent on his phone that morning. I was in shock. I thought it was a joke. They were looking for relatives. Donny and I had talked two days before and he had sent me email the night before. I had to contact his family and break the news to his brother Barry. That was the most difficult thing I have done in a long, long time. I'm still in shock.

Don was one of my best friends and now my heart has a hole in it that will take a long time to heal. I still want to pick up the phone and give him a call.

I counted 1200 emails and 500 phone calls over the past 5 years that I knew him. When I first met him (on the phone), we were both noobs in pinball. He was trying to sell me his ACDC BIBLE. We went back and forth for several weeks but never did come together on price. We made a number of pin deals over the years since. In the last deal, he bought my ACDC BIBLE which I shipped to him in October 2016. A few weeks ago, he told me that he had loaned/sold it to one of his good friends.

RIP buddy. I'm glad you are close to family now. You are surely missed.

#36 9 months ago
    Quoted from roc-noc:

Don's maid discovered his body. I got the call from the Fire Dept when they showed up. My caller ID was the most recent on his phone that morning. I was in shock. I thought it was a joke. They were looking for relatives. Donny and I had talked two days before and he had sent me email the night before. I had to contact his family and break the news to his brother Barry. That was the most difficult thing I have done in a long, long time. I'm still in shock.
    Don was one of my best friends and now my heart has a hole in it that will take a long time to heal. I still want to pick up the phone and give him a call.
    I counted 1200 emails and 500 phone calls over the past 5 years that I knew him. When I first met him (on the phone), we were both noobs in pinball. He was trying to sell me his ACDC BIBLE. We went back and forth for several weeks but never did come together on price. We made a number of pin deals over the years since. In the last deal, he bought my ACDC BIBLE which I shipped to him in October 2016. A few weeks ago, he told me that he had loaned/sold it to one of his good friends.
    RIP buddy. I'm glad you are close to family now. You are surely missed.

Exactly. My late night long phone conversations with him, will be greatly missed

#37 9 months ago

I do not post very much to the group, but with Don's passing I had to.
    Talked to Don the monday night before myself. He was always a great friend plus I had the honor of doing all his ground up
    restorations. The Nags and Mata Hari EM will always be my favorites. I know Don was not feeling well the lat few months just
    never knew it was this bad. Pinball lost a real cool guy RIP my friend.
    Herb
    Fabulous Fantasies

IMG_2141 (resized).JPG

IMG_3211 (resized).JPG

#38 9 months ago

that nags is fantastic. Excellent work.

#39 9 months ago

Very sad to hear this Don was always so enthusiastic about the hobby. I dont know how he managed to juggle so many projects at once! The minute he bought a new game, whether he had it in possession yet or not he'd email me" Cliffy me up!" I'll miss his high energy
    RIP, Don- and sincere condolences to his family. God bless them and grant them peace

#40 9 months ago

Rest in Pinball Heaven Don

You phone calls were great and looongggg and will be missed

#41 9 months ago

Sorry to hear this guys, he sounded like a great guy, cherish the good memories.

R.I.P Don.

#42 9 months ago

Sad to hear, R.I.P. Don.

#43 9 months ago

Hope some of you trusted locals are stepping in to help sell off his collection. Sounds like he does not have anyone knowledgeable or in his life that is able to do this.

Sorry for your loss. I spoke with Don a few times a couple years back about a game he wanted to buy from me. Seemed like a real solid guy and full of passion.

#44 9 months ago

Can't believe it. I sold don my 1950 knockout a little less than a year ago. Said he was building a wood rail collection and it sounded amazing. Talked to him on the phone for days and days. Super nice guy with a lot to talk about and a lot in common. sounded like he enjoyed the Grateful Dead even more than I and that's really saying something. Rest In Peace Don.

#45 9 months ago

I always loved it when Don would call me while i was driving with my wife in the car (she could hear the conversation) I was like honey its Pinball Don from Beverly Hills i gotta take the call, she would just roll her eyes at me.

#46 9 months ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

Hope some of you trusted locals are stepping in to help sell off his collection. Sounds like he does not have anyone knowledgeable or in his life that is able to do this.

Not sure it's our place or even legal to do anything with his collection. Well, I hope he had a will...I would assume his family and maybe his girlfriend would be involved in his estate...but I have no idea.

#47 9 months ago

I am absolutely shocked hearing this. I am flying to Cali tomorrow morning to visit family that lives up in Castaic. When I go out there (usually at least once a year), I always reach out to a few Pinsiders I chat with in the LA area (Aurich last time) to see if they want to chill, and so I can get my pinball fix for the week. Always good to meet some of you guys and gals that I pretty much chat online with every day, but never get to see face to face. Most of us on Pinside are very cool people and I've met so many cool people in this hobby...even though we argue and bicker via this medium sometimes.

I had spoken with Don in the past about deals, but never solidified one unfortunately. I just spoke with him about 3 or 4 weeks ago asking him about a few games, and telling him I would be in the area this month. He said he didn't feel that great and didn't say why, but still invited me down to check out his games, talk some pinball and music, etc. We talked on the phone for about an hour, and he still seemed in pretty good spirits to me. I just can't believe that I'm this close to leaving tomorrow, and was planning on heading down the lovely 5 and the 405 to hang with him sometime this week, and now that isn't going to happen. Beyond unexpected.

He was only 48, and nobody deserves to leave this planet that early. I'm sure he will be missed by many, and now I'm sorry that I never got a chance to hang out with him in person after reading all the stories above. Rest in peace.

#48 9 months ago

I'm sad. We lost a good man.

LTG : (

#49 9 months ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

Sorry for your loss. I spoke with Don a few times a couple years back about a game he wanted to buy from me. Seemed like a real solid guy and full of passion.

My biggest fear is that some of the flippers are just circling like vultures ready to pounce on his collection.

#50 9 months ago

Wow, 48 is really young. Was he sick, or was it something sudden like a heart attack?

RIP...

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 99.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 989.00
    Flipper Parts
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 34.95
    Playfield - Other
    Hookedonpinball.com
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 36.99
    Lighting - Interactive
    Lee's Parts
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    Apparel - Unisex
    Pinball Wheezer
    $ 85.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lermods
    $ 9.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 159.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    € 379.00
    Displays
    GermanGamingSupplies.com
    $ 99.99
    Displays
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 22.00
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 9.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 15.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    Siegecraft Electronics
    $ 99.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 9.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    There are 159 posts in topic. You are on page 1 of 4.

Note: This is an old thread. The last post was made to it 271 days ago. Resurrecting old threads is not necessarily a bad thing, if you think the topic is still relevant and/or your post is beneficial to it (e.g. following up on something). In other cases, it might be better to create a new topic.

Wanna join the discussion? Sign up for a Pinside account, or log in if you already have an account.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside