Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Screenshot_2016-06-04-17-10-52 (resized).jpeg
Capture (resized).PNG
6E7EC3C7-1C28-4A72-9790-9543CEBB37B3 (resized).png
B34E94E1-57EC-4F87-B4F5-3C049872D190 (resized).png
IMG_4407 (resized).jpg
IMG_1165 (resized).jpg
There are 88 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
#51 6 years ago
Quoted from jlm33:

Very sad. RIP Derron.

+1
I have no problem believing one can die from the flu at the age of 50. I'm 51, had the flu last month, never been so sick in my adult life. I swear I'll be vaccinated next winter.

Get it. Most health care professionals are mandated to get one. It might not help you avoid the flu, but if you do get it your body should be able to fight it a bit better. I caught it this year (first in many) and it wasn't too bad. Others....not so much. Our hospital beds were full. The most susceptible are young children, the elderly, and those with immune issue or other existing conditions. Not sure what happened to Derron, but my prayers are with his family right now.

And eating well plays a large part.

#52 6 years ago

The flu put me in the hospital for 5 weeks two years ago. Take precautions to guard your health.

Rip eggbert

#53 6 years ago

Man, what a shame. His grouchy posts always made me chuckle.
Thoughts & condolences to his family & friends.

#54 6 years ago

I bought a game from Derron years ago and kept in touch with him here, usually discussing new releases. We didn't always see eye to eye and sometimes he just plain pissed me off, but this place won't be the same without him. RIP Derron

#55 6 years ago

Rest in peace Derron, I'll miss your posts. My sincere condolences to all of Derron's family and friends.

On a flu note, It's an absolute shame the flu has claimed so many people (young, old, and in between) this season. I got the flu 8 years ago, around the time I turned 40 years old. The last time before that when I had the flu was when I was a teenager, and man.. I don't remember it being as bad as it felt when I was 40. Maybe (probably) age made a difference there, but after that latest miserable flu experience, I made sure to get the flu shot every year since, and knock on wood, either through pure luck or having the flu shot, or more likely a combination of the two, I have not had the flu since. I'd recommend that everyone gets one just as a precaution. I've never noticed any ill effects or feelings, but everyone's different.

#56 6 years ago

I liked his rabblerousing, he was fun. Sad to hear.
RIP Eggbert.

#57 6 years ago

Always enjoyed reading his posts..sad to hear and my condolences to his family.

#58 6 years ago
Quoted from mrgone:

The flu put me in the hospital for 5 weeks two years ago. Take precautions to guard your health.
Rip eggbert

5 weeks?

That had to be miserable and frightening.

#59 6 years ago

Eggbert was a good egg. He is and will be missed. RIP.

#60 6 years ago

Rip Derron the pin community will miss you.

#61 6 years ago

RIP, derron . 1 entertaining poster, had a crazy nice collection. the flu is ridiculous.

#62 6 years ago

Boy, whatta bummer. I didn't know him but I enjoyed his posts. RIP fellow pinhead.

#63 6 years ago

He spoke his mind and made Pinside a better place because of it. This just goes to show that we need to do those things that make us happy when we can. It seems that Darren was able to do that. I almost found out the hard way myself.

#64 6 years ago

Wow, we crossed swords a bit in the Lebowski threads, but it always made the thread spicier with him around. RIP Eggbert52, you will be missed.

#65 6 years ago

eggbert52 enjoyed causing a little trouble on Pinside now and again, but he was part of the family here and this is sad news. I hope that he did not suffer, and that his family is hanging in there as best they can.

#66 6 years ago
Quoted from RTR:

we crossed swords a bit

Well, I never got that close to him, but I always liked him stating his opinion, no matter how much flak came his way.

#67 6 years ago

He played in our pinside FF for a few years. VERY sad to hear this news, and how tragic from the flu. RIP Derron.

#68 6 years ago

Sucks to lose one of our own. Never met Eggbert but I will remember him as an amusing instigator and his presence will be missed.

#69 6 years ago

Well damn. This sucks. Always wondered what was behind some of his more cynical outbursts...but I could relate, posting that way myself sometimes. Didn’t always agree with him but he sure was entertaining, and he obviously loved pinball and supported the hobby.

I’ll miss eggbert. RIP Derron

#70 6 years ago

Man, for a guy who seemed to get into fights with a lot of people I can’t say I ever crossed paths with him. I guess we were the same kind of prick!

Rip dude. Flip some with Hendrix and joey Ramone for me.

#71 6 years ago

You know I have to add here... I many / most times don't know who my customers are on Pinside... Sometimes it leads to funny situations where I'm talking to someone on Pinside and on email and I don't know they are the same person etc... Well I didn't know Derron was Eggbert52. I had never really picked up on the 'agitator' persona he had as Eggbert52 myself, but might not have been reading every thread at all times, etc... BUT I can tell you to talk to him, to email him, to text him there was never any of that - it was really a lot of 'where's my game' playful nagging I get from everyone and a whole hell of a lot of just talking about pinball - causally and playfully and I'd say most of our communications had nothing to do with the games I sold him etc... it was just a pinball friendship... I don't think anyone has said anything negative about him here in any way - other than he was 'entertaining', etc.. But I think it's a really great lesson that when we read into someone on Pinside it's probably not who that person is in person. How many times have we said that - gee I met so and so at a show and they were great to hang out with but man do we get into it on Pinside. Just a thought I wanted to share. I've gotten into it at weak moments too myself. Might be a great lesson for us all to consider. Thanks for making this tread a nice commentary on Derron and how we'll all miss his presence here going forward.

#72 6 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I guess we were the same kind of prick!

Eggbert "got" the whole forum thing isn't supposed to be taken seriously. So he was already ahead of the game.

#73 6 years ago
Quoted from PinballSTAR:

Well I didn't know Derron was Eggbert52. I had never really picked up on the 'agitator' persona he had as Eggbert52 myself, but might not have been reading every thread at all times, etc... BUT I can tell you to talk to him, to email him, to text him there was never any of that - it was really a lot of 'where's my game' playful nagging I get from everyone and a whole hell of a lot of just talking about pinball ...

My sympathy to Derek's family and friends regarding his passing.

I didn't know him other than through his Pinside posts and it's great to hear that there was another side to him that wasn't always evident here.

#74 6 years ago

poor eggbert. rest in peace. too young!!

3 weeks later
#75 6 years ago

Hey everybody, my real name is David Johns. Derron "Eggbert52" Johns is my brother. I appreciate that there are so many of you out there, "you" being friends or acquaintances of Derron's, with so many kind words and wishes. I'll be straight up with all of you... You're right! The Eggbert you all speak of was definitely the same guy all of our family knows; a wise-crack and sometimes an arrogant putz on occasion, yet very intelligent and successful in his own right, with a heart bigger than any of us imagined. I am not a pinball person myself, but I will forever keep one of his machines in his memory.

My family; Our hearts will heal and we will not forget. We will not forget the Derron that we loved and thought we knew so well, the same son and brother we learned much more about after he was gone. That was his way... there are many others, inside and outside of your pinball community, that only knew Derron online. The luckier friends knew him in person. We never knew how many friends he really had until you all let us know you were here. Thank you!

Derron did have the flu in final days, but that is not what took him, directly anyway. Being a bigger guy, and the complications that come with those extra pounds, his heart was not able to handle the effects of different over the counter medications. What he thought what going to make him better, became his demise. RIP little bro.

Joe has already read my eulogy for Derron and has asked if he share it here. It is an honor to have him do so.

Thank you all for sharing your memories of Derron. - David

Screenshot_2016-06-04-17-10-52 (resized).jpegScreenshot_2016-06-04-17-10-52 (resized).jpeg

#76 6 years ago

I got to know Derron through texts when I almost bought his TBL. He was a real dick (takes one to know one) but didn't deserve this. RIP man.

#77 6 years ago

let is know which pin you decided to keep from your brothers collection. sorry for your loss.

#78 6 years ago

I hate to hear this news. Derron will be missed. I don't know the details of the flu that Derron had, but a coworker of mine, in his 40's, was in very serious shape after reacting to medicine he was taking to combat the flu. Stuff like this opens my eyes.

Thanks David for posting. I wish your family the best in these hard times.

#79 6 years ago
Quoted from Eggbert52-Bro:

Thank *YOU* for coming here! Sorry for you loss.

#80 6 years ago

With Derron's brother David's permission, here is his eulogy to his brother, our friend... I'm sure we are all glad to have been Derron's Snuffleupaguses ! : )

Joe

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Before I sat down to write this, my dedication to my brother Derron, I wanted to read what his friends and our family members were saying about him. As I navigated the different stories on Derron’s Tribute Wall, I recall a comment made by our mother that I would like to reiterate, “…the various groups in his life never crossed paths.”. Many of you shared hilarious and happy stories about Derron, some of which we truly knew little to nothing about. Again, I agree with my mother as she wrote, “it has put much joy in our hearts to know Derron was not the lonely person he portrayed to us.”. I was aware of a few names in Derron’s life, such as Dean, Stu and Neil, the very group of guys that his friend Dean shared about being a part of Derron’s life for over 30 years, but other than that Derron only referred to others as “my friend”. He never shared names or how he knew them or why he called them friends. Honestly, I only had reason to believe he had a group of “Mr. Snuffleupaguses” as his friends, a Sesame Street character originally thought to be Big Bird’s imaginary friend only to finally meet or understand the friend was real. Aside from his life-long college buddies, and perhaps a name or two at work or those Derron mentioned within the pinball community, it wasn’t until now, after he has accepted his eternal role in Heaven, that my parents and I understand how many Mr. Snuffleupaguses Derron did in fact know. There are many and you are all real! For that I am glad he had each of you.

Like many of you, for years, I have talked with Derron at least once or twice a week and I could count on every phone conversation starting with the same salutation, “BOOB!”, a family nickname given to me as kid and one that I am sure I will hear again, ringing through the clouds, when it’s my turn to walk through Heaven’s Gate, God willing of course. Our conversations mostly stayed on him, topics like; Millie at first, but Melvin most recently, his job, his dog, his car, his four-legged buddy, his house, Melvin, a new pin ball machine he is thinking about getting, and on occasion he would tell me what his best friend, Melvin, is up to.

One thing I can say with utmost certainty is Derron’s recollection of life’s little memories was far more detailed than mine and often that of our parents’...err Mom's anyway. I accept the fact that many people do remember details of different events as a child, but Derron was always able to somehow relate a childhood story to our current discussion. He always found a way to fit in to any conversation, an unreal level of detail of some story from years past that always made us look at each other in near utter amazement, understanding that we were silently asking the same questions of ourselves; “Really? Is he joking? I don’t recall any of this, does he really remember that?” And of course, “Why?!”

I want to share a few memories I have with or about Derron;
• Family vacations – before the Internet as well as portable electronic games or video players, when two brothers are stuck in the backseat of a car while Dad drives the interstates up and down the East coast, you had to make the best of it. If Derron or I weren’t cheating on the letters Q, U or Z in the alphabet game or perhaps losing track of time as the other tickles your back, we might be seeing how far and how long we could encroach upon “his side of the backseat” by crossing over that dividing line mom had already established for us. Derron was usually louder than I, so I would use that to my advantage allowing him… ok, causing him to get in trouble for yelling.
• Little league baseball – Amazing. He was simply amazing. If Derron’s competitive spirit did not best him, we all may have very well have had a Cleveland Indians Catcher’s card in our baseball card collection with the name Derron Johns on it. One of the interesting facts you probably would have heard on the TV or radio was the fact that Mom and Dad named Derron after the pro-ball player and coach, Deron Johnson.
• Radio DJ – A few years back, some 20 or 30 or so, you might have heard Derron on Tampa Bay’s radio station, 105.5 The Dove. He liked hearing his own voice over the airways so much he also worked a local dinner boat in Clearwater as the onboard DJ for parties. I recall, when we were living on the beach in the top floor of the hotel my parents owned and managed, you could hear his booming and entertaining voice as the dinner boat navigated through the intracoastal waterways. Somewhere between his college years, he also worked at Disney’s Pleasure Island in the overhead booth for all guests to see and hear. Yes, even then, I was proud to say, “That’s my brother you hear!”
• Cleveland Cavalier games – I remember as a kid Derron would use a tape recorder and call the Cleveland Cavalier games as they happened on TV. Who knew that one day those tapes could have been a demo sent off for an interview!
• Christmas in Vermont – Aside from being Christmas, in Vermont no less, those were always good times. With cousins, John, Brian and Michael, Aunt Mary Ann and Uncle Dick, Tita – our grandmother and other members from those branches of the family tree, we always looked forward to the white Christmases in the house on Wantastiquet Drive atop the cliff above the railroad tracks next to the Connecticut River in Brattleboro, VT. Sadly, years later, as life offered us our different choices and paths, holidays as a whole seemingly became a difficult experience for Derron. For whatever his reasons, he found it best for him to do too many holidays his way, with Millie or with Melvin. However, from now on, he won't have a choice. When we, his family, are together over a holiday or not, we will think about Derron, we will talk about or even to Derron, we may even say his name outloud three times.... just to see if it really works. That was a BeatleJuice joke in case you did not pick up on it.
• Life advice phone calls – This was nearly every phone call. Some were simple and silly and often repeat concerns, others were more serious. Usually, over time, advice was heard and received and followed. On occasion, without invocation, a thank you was returned. Those are small humble moments when brothers can share advice to one another and it forever offers a new direction. Well, from now on, I will be the brother seeking new direction, not Derron. I will look to Heaven, and call upon not only our Tita, but now, my little brother too. From here on out, until I catch up with him, I need to remember he already knows.

Too often Derron was rather hard on himself, often the cause for our life advice phone conversations. Somewhat contradicting, I recently learned from his friends I have met or spoken with, that Derron was often their listener or sometimes their advice-giver. Some friends have mentioned the hours spent sharing situations with each other – work or personal, or perhaps down moments they were both going through, and between the two, they brought each other up. Is there a better definition of a friend?

I knew my brother was a giving person, but I did not realize to the degree until too close to his final days. Partly due to information Dad found in various locations, things like different donations, but also because Derron shared a goal of his with me. A goal he wanted to see through, as soon as he was able to. Because he could, because he wanted to, because he enjoyed giving to those who may need, those who appreciate, those who do not expect or necessarily ask. See, I, his brother, found it necessary to start over in life on my own at 50 yrs of age. Sometime about mid last year Derron told me he wanted to purchase a second home and allow me to make his payments, thus offering me a home to call my own as I stepped up my game again. Well, who knows, maybe even from far above he will still reach that goal. As Dad and Mom work out Derron's estate, as decisions need to be made and the required legal processes are followed, Derron's home in Tampa might be able to stay in the family. Regardless of the turnout, since I can't tell Derron Thank you face to face,
I say to him here and now with all of you as witness.

In bringing this short, meaningful, dedication to close, I want to recognize everyone that has ever crossed paths with Derron. You knew him as well as my parents and I did, but you also knew parts of him better than we did. Until now, with his much too early departure from this world, we only knew of a son, a brother, that we thought was alone, by choice. Because of Derron’s friends, his Mr. Snuffleupaguses, we know different. Thank you all for reaching out and sharing your stories, for thinking enough of Derron, and us, by giving of your time and your kind words. Derron may have silently included many friends in his life, and perhaps we’ve yet to hear from others, but because you all have broken his silence, there is a mend in our broken hearts.

#81 6 years ago

I also had an email exchange with Derron's mom... Should make us all feel good the bantering we all do here on Pinside was something his family was very happy he had... Thank you to all who posted in this thread, it was meaningful to his family.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Norma / Mike...

I have never met Derron, he bought games from me and we became friends - mostly just joking / chatting about pinball in general... Please know Derron had a great network of buddies he spent time with on the computer, playing pinball with locally, and just enjoying our goofy hobby. I feel really good to be able to let you know that whatever the circumstances were of his life - that he enjoyed his pinball machines immensely and he enjoyed his community of friends.

That 'spirit' your other son David conveyed to me and that others in our hobby noticed with his online presence will be missed by us... Derron and I would text each other often, usually him ribbing me asking me when the game he ordered from me was going to arrive. He had a passion in life I can attest to that - something he enjoyed coming home from work to, something he enjoyed immersing his time in both with the machines and with the people in the hobby he bantered with online and became friends with.

Please know your son is missed and it makes me very happy to know that it brings you comfort and some peace knowing we existed for him, some of those Sunuffleupagases David mentioned in his eulogy. My best wishes to your and your family during your time of loss... Derron will not be forgotten by you or us.

I'm glad David is keeping one of his machines... That machine is Derron, play it, enjoy it, remember him.

Joe Newhart
On behalf of the pinball community

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Eggbert52
Date: Sun, April 01, 2018 8:01 pm
To: [email protected]

This is Derron Johns (eggbert52)’s Mom. I just wanted to reach out to those who knew our son in a very different way than we did. I thank God for each and everyone of you who brought friendship and love into his life. His unique humor and hermit type life style were hard for his family to understand. It brings us so much peace knowing he had all of you to share himself and his love for Pinball with. His Dad and I never quite understood his passions in life but we loved him for who he was, even when he was exasperating. We have seen some of your messages and want you to know you brought joy to our hearts.
Thank you all for being there.

Norma and Mike Johns

#82 6 years ago
Quoted from Eggbert52-Bro:

Hey everybody, my real name is David Johns. Derron "Eggbert52" Johns is my brother. I appreciate that there are so many of you out there, "you" being friends or acquaintances of Derron's, with so many kind words and wishes. I'll be straight up with all of you... You're right! The Eggbert you all speak of was definitely the same guy all of our family knows; a wise-crack and sometimes an arrogant putz on occasion, yet very intelligent and successful in his own right, with a heart bigger than any of us imagined. I am not a pinball person myself, but I will forever keep one of his machines in his memory.
My family; Our hearts will heal and we will not forget. We will not forget the Derron that we loved and thought we knew so well, the same son and brother we learned much more about after he was gone. That was his way... there are many others, inside and outside of your pinball community, that only knew Derron online. The luckier friends knew him in person. We never knew how many friends he really had until you all let us know you were here. Thank you!
Derron did have the flu in final days, but that is not what took him, directly anyway. Being a bigger guy, and the complications that come with those extra pounds, his heart was not able to handle the effects of different over the counter medications. What he thought what going to make him better, became his demise. RIP little bro.
Joe has already read my eulogy for Derron and has asked if he share it here. It is an honor to have him do so.

Very sorry for your loss man.

#83 6 years ago

Sure is dusty in here

6 months later
#84 5 years ago

This is why they make flu medicine for people with heart conditions. If you stack a few together, you might as well blow a few lines of coke or Meth while sick. The stuff makes you go in V-Fib/Tach which is very dangerous and can cause cardiac arrest or stroke.

2 months later
#85 5 years ago

Today Derron would have been 51 years old
Happy Birthday........

Just a reminder of how short life can be..

Live each Day

B34E94E1-57EC-4F87-B4F5-3C049872D190 (resized).pngB34E94E1-57EC-4F87-B4F5-3C049872D190 (resized).png
#86 5 years ago

Happy Birthday Derron!!!

#87 5 years ago

RIP buddy. You aren’t forgotten.

#88 5 years ago

I didnt know Derron but he looks like a fun guy and someone i would hang out with and have a beer and play Pinball with for sure!

There are 88 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/rip-derron-johns-of-fl/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.