4 years ago

Topic Stats

• 10 posts
  • 9 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by jespo_19
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

#1 4 years ago

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2020/jan/16/jrr-tolkiens-son-christopher-dies-aged-95

Christopher Tolkien, the son of Lord Of The Rings author JRR Tolkien, has died aged 95, the Tolkien Society has announced. The society, which promotes the life and works of the celebrated writer, released a short statement on Twitter to confirm the news.

The statement said: “Christopher Tolkien has died at the age of 95. The Tolkien Society sends its deepest condolences to Baillie, Simon, Adam, Rachel and the whole Tolkien family.”

#2 4 years ago

Sad news but I'm glad he got to live a long life and one that comes across as very fulfilled. It seemed like Christopher Tolkien devoted his life to finishing and expanding upon his father's work which is pretty cool considering how much more he's added to the world of Middle Earth. One of these days I'll finally get around to reading The Silmarillion!

#3 4 years ago

Didn’t realize he was that old. RIP

#5 4 years ago

Sad news.

LTG : (

#6 4 years ago
Quoted from Wickerman2:

Didn’t realize he was that old. RIP

Me either. If you asked me before today, I probably would've guessed around 25 years younger.

#7 4 years ago

If you haven’t seen the movie Tolkien, great watch. I liked it a lot.
You learn about himself and his family a bit

#8 4 years ago

RIP.

#9 4 years ago

2020 is definitely starting off on the wrong foot. First Neil and now this. It’s not like Christopher was his dad, but he is directly responsible for his dad’s other works being finally edited and published. We wouldn’t have the Silmarillion, Unfinished Tales, the recent Fall of Gondolin, and many many others.

I was surprised to learn Yesterday that Christopher had drawn all the maps in LOTR that I love so much. Craziness. He was also the main protector of the estate, so you can bet that the Tolkien legendarium is about to become supremely bastardized

#10 4 years ago

He was very critical of the LOTR movies (which I thought were pretty well done) but mostly for the reason that they mainstreamed a lot of the material, made it more action packed for audiences and lost its subtleties. Hobbit especially was a cash grab for sure.
Silmarillion was awesome, but reads more like a history book or mythology. Would make for excellent TV as well Very sad to hear of his passing, hopefully what remains of the licensing keeps its dignity. Bezos is a huge fan so here's to hoping that the upcoming Amazon show will be done honorably.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/rip-christopher-tolkien and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.